SpursNetwork

Bale swap deal in January

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
Re: Bale swap deal in January
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 06:44:19 PM »
oh come now, you dont want debate you want confirmation of 1 conventional standpoint to the next...  and I think you mean to write:-

Benzema PLUS Bale  >  Bale

what I meant with the larger picture is that whilst Spurs now have excellent 1st-options and backup for LM: vdV, Kranjcar and Modric, we are noticeably less well-endowed in the striking dept. where we STILL lack that near world-class 'TopGun' to be used upfront with a supporting lesser striker (1 of many we do have)...

therefore it would benefit the bigger-picture at Spurs if we did in fact swap Bale foe Benzema, who I believe is still a top top striker who has great quality (albeit RM have Higuain now established as their lone-striker therefore Benzy only has a backup role there - also Maureen has made great overtures to Pazzini who will possibly come in January)...

we have a very good LB in BAE who is still better than Bale there (as the role demands defensive strength primarily) and therefore it just needs us to get a very good backup LB for say 3m..

overall... we would improve with these changes.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:47:39 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 07:30:31 PM »
You just gotta look at who wrote the thread to tell its all bullsh*t!
COYS!

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 10:36:50 PM »
oh come now, you dont want debate you want confirmation of 1 conventional standpoint to the next...  and I think you mean to write:-

Benzema PLUS Bale  >  Bale

what I meant with the larger picture is that whilst Spurs now have excellent 1st-options and backup for LM: vdV, Kranjcar and Modric, we are noticeably less well-endowed in the striking dept. where we STILL lack that near world-class 'TopGun' to be used upfront with a supporting lesser striker (1 of many we do have)...

Don't patronize me I know what I mean't to type, and I still understand the argument and the reasons for it but I still say Bale instead of Benzema.

Benzema is hardly a Topgun striker, playing in Ligue 1 all 4 of our strikers would also look world class !!! and now he can't get in the Real Madrid side or French National side unless someone gets injured.

No thanks, you keep watching all your telly mate and let us know when you see some football !!!
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 10:50:12 PM »
lol.... like the French Ligue 1 is sooo backward compared to the great English Prem.... do me a favour.. the bottom 10 French clubs would outplay and outshine the bottom 10 hoofers of the Prem.... just that the French have a proper leadue that hasnt turned into a circus for nouveaux-riche jack-the-lads wanting some tabloid trashy 'fame'...

and you only need to see Benzema once ot twice in any match to see the sheer quality of the guy.... if he was English ppl would be asking Wayne who ??..

he hasnt been great in Spain due to Higuain and even Ronaldo playing as the main forward... when he has been used its been usually tas a leftside wide attacker...

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 11:07:48 PM »
So Ronaldo and Higuain are better than him then and I have got television including a full sky package so I have seen him play and I'm sorry I don't agree with your undoubted mastery and encyclopeadia Britannica like knowledge of the beautiful game. 

Benzema would last 5 minutes in the Premiership which is what we have to do well in to finish high enough for him to shine in the European competitions
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 07:45:05 AM »
Because people don't share your views it doesn't mean that they are wrong, the whole idea of this forum is to discuss the subject matter and offer views and opinions. That is the way forward to a good debate and interesting topic continually taking posts off subject and insulting people's intelligence shows just how shallow a person you really are. As soon as someone comes up with a more reasoned argument or better angle you simply go off on a tangent and use sarcasm to hide your ineptitude and general ignorance of the beautiful game.

Never heard someone sum up this place better  :up:

Gareth you really need to take it down a notch or two, you are causing to much s**t. every thread i look at you are arguing with somebody.

I don't mind Banter, but its not any more, it's just Trolling and turned into patronising cockiness.

so just give it a rest, or put you opinion across in a more civilised way otherwise i'm going to have to do something about it.

Please remind yourself of the rules of this place Here. Rule number 4 & 6 to be precise

:SN:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 08:04:15 AM by Biggs »

Offline Dom07Tottenham

• Hero: Gareth Bale
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 12:20:30 PM »

BAE better than Bale at LB I don't agree, Bale is first choice at LB,despite that BAE has had allot more time starting at LB, in previous seasons and this and last season where Bale is a revelation at LM, I belive if he didn't play so well at LM, he would have been at LB.  If Bale saw similar game time at LB he would improve even more at the position also. Where does Gareth get his info from? ITK which reports anything, I guess even if u report every single rumour u hear eventually one will be the actual truth.

Gareth will say anything to try and prove a point, and ramble on about anything, I believe he thinks if he talks enough about one topic, repeating his point of view that eventually he will wear us down and we will agree with him. He is the most stubborn hypocritical poster I have ever seen, his comment "oh come now, you dont want debate you want confirmation of 1 conventional standpoint to the next... " Would be a great self proclamation, and insight into his mind, although I would not describe his view as conventional.
Maybe I am being harsh at least he gives us plenty to discuss and a very different point of view, its just can get a annoying at times, but I do not intend on personal digs.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:31:41 PM by Dom07Tottenham »

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 12:27:38 PM »
I actually think that Assou-Ekotto is a better left-back than Bale because Bale is more suited for wide midfielder and more useful getting forward.

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 12:51:34 PM »
I actually think that Assou-Ekotto is a better left-back than Bale because Bale is more suited for wide midfielder and more useful getting forward.

I agree Riff although both are guilty of real lapses at LB from time to time i think BAE is the more natural defender.

I wasn't even going to comment on this thread for the obvious reason but then i think why should miss out on the fun just because of one little troll.

And as for the original topic? What a load of bollocks, there is a job out there working for the Mirror or some other paper should you want one.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 12:59:05 PM »

...although both are guilty of real lapses at LB from time to time
Sadly true. But looking around in our squad I see no player who is truly consistent performer. They all tend to shine in one game and be completely invisible in the next. So, this actually takes us back to to this topic about whether we have any world class players then I'd say that to be a world class player, you really cannot afford "bad days at the office".

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 01:33:09 PM »
BAE is a great LB (and I dont use the word lightly) and his general standard of play has been of such high quality that the inevitable errors that ALL players make can seem horrendous in comparison to such a great general standard...

if BAE was more workmanlike in ability and general performance but made more frequent errors, it would actually be spotted/highlighted less eg. in Dawson's case..

Bale is not a great defender, but cos of his great athleticism and abilities from a young age, ended up covering the LB slot at Southampton due to injury of the regular LB.... he was originally (and always wanted to remain) a LM.... he played there when he 1st joined Spurs and excelled there even then (YPL was our LB then) but I doubt many of the fans have memories that far back...

Offline bigv

• Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »
I think BAE is as good a defender in his position as there is in the epl. Granted,he can be a little nonchalant at times even appearing somewhat aloof a la Monsieur Cantona used to in bygone days. I think this is down to self-belief in his footballing abilities and overall composure on the ball. He is the best player in that position I have seen at spurs in years. he is a strong character and one i feel reacts badly sometimes to criticism. His only weakpoint is his temperament. He is miles ahead of bale in that postion. Bale is streets ahead at LM. If you want a LB who is composed, good in the tackle, great left foot, good at making runs forward and a decent deliverer of the ball from the left flank and who reads the game superbly then BAE is your man. If you want a lightening fast, end to end footballer, willing to take on players with great deadball abilities and an eye for goal at LM, young Bale has few equals in the EPL or beyond.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 04:02:40 PM »
I think BAE is as good a defender in his position as there is in the epl. Granted,he can be a little nonchalant at times even appearing somewhat aloof a la Monsieur Cantona used to in bygone days. I think this is down to self-belief in his footballing abilities and overall composure on the ball. He is the best player in that position I have seen at spurs in years. he is a strong character and one i feel reacts badly sometimes to criticism. His only weakpoint is his temperament. He is miles ahead of bale in that postion. Bale is streets ahead at LM. If you want a LB who is composed, good in the tackle, great left foot, good at making runs forward and a decent deliverer of the ball from the left flank and who reads the game superbly then BAE is your man. If you want a lightening fast, end to end footballer, willing to take on players with great deadball abilities and an eye for goal at LM, young Bale has few equals in the EPL or beyond.

the perfect summation of BAE.... I wouldnt swap the guy for A.Cole, Evra or even Clichy

Offline RAOUF

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 01:40:42 PM »
bae better than bale 4 the lb position at present

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 09:23:05 AM »
It is true that Rm are interested in Bale.....

But the point what has seemed to be missed is that before Bale signed his contract extension he was not playing regular for the first team...

RM and Manchester United had both enquired about his availability but from what i hear he is well grounded and took some advice from are club and his family and he stayed at WHL...

Now for me if a player especially a young one who these days seem to want material and limelight over the passion of football chose to stay at WHl with bigger deals offered to him...i can only come to the assumption he does not want to leave Spurs which to me is the point that has been missed...