SpursNetwork

Plan for CL

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
  • Hero: David Ginola
  • Season Ticket: No
Plan for CL
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:42:51 AM »
Ok, lets say that we do achieve the ultiamte goal this season and Finish in the Top 4. My question is do we have a squad capable of having a good run in the competition. A good run in the CL would have to be considered as reaching the last 16, where the money you would earn would equal the winnings for winning the Europa League. Personally I dont think the squad has enough quality to achieve this. Yes you could say that on our day we can beat anyone, the problem is that "our day" doesn't come along too often. So I think what needs to change with the squad is get red of the dead wood (Jenas, Pav, Hutton) and bring in players with CL experience (J. Cole). Naturally as we are Tottenham and as it will be a transfer window we will be linked with every player under the sun, however I do think we will be quite active in the summer as Levy will give Harry bundles in order to ensure we not only stay in the Top 4, but have a good run in the CL as well.

What do you guys think, and who do you think we should bring in/let go should we finsh in the Top 4?
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Plan for CL
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:42:20 PM »
We would be s**t in the CL, 80% of the team would have to go, so we would have a good top 4 side. We're Still season's away from it. We've only beaten Liverpool in recent years, who should be top 4 side, This is going by League games not Cup games.

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:35:35 PM »
I disagree with the comments saying we would be ****.
In our current squad we have players like King, Crouch, Keane, Modric, Kranjaer and Corluka who all have World Cup experience as well as reaching the European finals for their national sides. Crouchy has also played for Liverpool in the CL if my memory serves me right.
Going back a couple of seasons when we had back-to-back UEFA Cup campaigns, i'd say at least 80% of the squad is the same so those experiences can be drawn upon. Even the players we have brought in like Gomes, Bentley and Pavulychenko have played in the UEFA Cup too. So we aren't exactly short of European football experience.
COYS!

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 12:13:45 AM »
First and foremost to actually be successful in CL we need to get rid of those players who plays without spirit like Jenas. We need players "When we go down by 1 goal we go at them and get 1 back! eye for an eye~" Basically like Manutd Players and their fighting spirit.

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »
I agree, the worst thing that I saw this season was against Man U in the League, we went 2-0 down and the energy, commitment and disire just disappeared. We just passed the ball around with no goal or shots at goal for that matter. If the shoe was on the other foot the Man U players would have a surge of energy and batter us for the remainder of the game in order to try and score. We need players with that desire, I believe Harry can get those players though as he will try and sign older players with CL experience.
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline CountPuchi

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 06:14:39 AM »
Actually we dont need to look very far for players like that. Ohara shows us his fighting spirit when we were down, even when he is playing at portsmouth. He fights! We need him more than Jenas. God how i would love it if Harry just kick Jenas to Portsmouth and bring Ohara to play with Sgt Wilson and Hudds~

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 08:11:59 AM »
Actually we dont need to look very far for players like that. Ohara shows us his fighting spirit when we were down, even when he is playing at portsmouth. He fights! We need him more than Jenas. God how i would love it if Harry just kick Jenas to Portsmouth and bring Ohara to play with Sgt Wilson and Hudds~

Sounds like a good plan to me, Jamie has the fighting spirit we need.  A few more like him would see us finish in the top 4, and give us a good chance of making the last 16 in CL

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 06:57:40 PM »
Agreed

Bill Nicholson

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 09:54:17 PM »
Is O'Hara good enough to be in our starting 11 week-in-week-out?

I don't think he is. Dont get me wrong, i agree with what has been said about him, i just don't think he has enough quality for our starting 11
COYS!

Offline CountPuchi

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 08:10:28 AM »
Then Jenas is? Id rather have an fighting above average player than talented spiritless Jenas. To get those kind of players we cant actually buy em. They come from the bloody Academy.

Offline a12 warrior

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 04:04:29 PM »
As always with Spurs, we need a few quality players  - another Lennon on the left with a left foot!! another center midfield to take some of the workload off Wilson P and who can drive box to box.
And a central defender to play with Dawson or Woodgate or Bassong or Kaboul if you catch my meaning!!!

But above all else the team needs to be consistant and grind out results.
So with regard to Champions League get all of that right and Spurs would do ok if they dont they wont be there anyway!!

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 10:18:22 PM »
a12 warrior, you think King is done?
COYS!

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 09:08:02 AM »
Nope, no way no how. He's not done. Not by a long shot. If he can still play 1 game a week the he's worth keeping at the club.

Bill Nicholson

Offline a12 warrior

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 09:39:19 PM »
I am sorry to say yes I think he is, I am a great fan of Ledley and have been from the start but his situation is only going to get worse the knee wont mend even with an op. :(

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 05:13:51 PM »
And should we get to the Champions League do we play King in that or the bread and butter of the Prem ? Bearing in mind he can only manage one game a week.