SpursNetwork

Soldado - 26 Million pound dud??

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Soldado - 26 Million pound dud??
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2014, 07:32:58 PM »
The pitch certainly had a hand in Soldado's miss and apart from that he played pretty well last night. His confidence is shot and our former Chairman calling him a donkey wont help with that. He just needs one to bounce in off his arse to give him a bit of a lift and then he might start firing. He is taking time to settle as are a few of our new buys but we need to be patient. I'd hate to see all the new players sold and have to start from scratch again next season with another lot of unproven ones.

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2014, 09:25:33 PM »
It was soldado who missed the sitter so yes he has to take some blame for that, the whole match was a shambles for us and that is down to the hole team!, Soldado is no good at playing upfront on his own that is plainly obvious!, so thats down to the manager to help him out, BUT! Soldado needs to get involved in the game more, really good strikers make there own luck!, He is playing well below par so it is up to him to talk to the manager and tell him exactly how he wants to play, not just wait and wait for things to happen on the pitch.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2014, 05:50:59 AM »
       Well I suppose it was Soldado's fault that we lost, had nothing to do with Vertonghen fouling Mattheus, or the fact that both full-backs were taken to the cleaners and made to look exactly what they are, in-adequate, on many occasions, I might add we were lucky not to have given away 2, yes 2 more penalties, but Soldado missed a sitter, so lets stick the knife into him, I have said so many times, playing Soldado as a lone striker DOESN'T work,  :nope: :nope: especially at the moment when he is so out of form, last year you all wanted to get rid of Ade and Defoe when they were struggling, :nods: :nods: now that Defoe has been sold so many of you are asking why, I said last season that Ade would come good  :up: :up: , and most of you scoffed at me, those same people are now singing his praises, what a fickle bunch you are!!!  >:( >:(
       Believe me, you DO NOT become a BAD PLAYER overnight, and I just hope that we keep him, because I know that he WILL come good and prove the doubters WRONG. :ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah:
This thread is about Soldado, isn't it? Why should we discuss Vertonghen's errors here?

Riff, You obviously didn't read ALL of my post did you, :nope: :nope: because had you have read it in its entirety you would not have made such a stupid comment. ;) ;)
:SN:[font

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »
When he came on today vs Norwich, he looked right up for it, keen to prove his worth.  His movement off the ball is very good, his first touch was a golden chance but he lashed at it.

I think we need to stick with 2 upfront and Soldado given more game time with Ade as they looked like they could be bloody lethal together, to late maybe for this season
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2014, 06:14:26 PM »
When he came on today vs Norwich, he looked right up for it, keen to prove his worth.  His movement off the ball is very good, his first touch was a golden chance but he lashed at it.

I think we need to stick with 2 upfront and Soldado given more game time with Ade as they looked like they could be bloody lethal together, to late maybe for this season

That is interesting you say that; wasn't that the criticism directed against AVB? One up front? Either way; we started off with one, ended up with two and still lost. That isn't our problem.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2014, 07:07:15 PM »

That is interesting you say that; wasn't that the criticism directed against AVB? One up front? Either way; we started off with one, ended up with two and still lost. That isn't our problem.

How can you say that playing one up front isnt our problem, it is as when we have 1 up front our midfield is cramped they play flat. Did you watch the game and see how things changed for the better in our game play when we switched to 4-4-2 as we actually created chances!

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »

How can you say that playing one up front isnt our problem, it is as when we have 1 up front our midfield is cramped they play flat. Did you watch the game and see how things changed for the better in our game play when we switched to 4-4-2 as we actually created chances!

I didn't say that playing one up front isn't the problem, the problem is the players for the system. We've used two up front and we still had problems.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »

I didn't say that playing one up front isn't the problem, the problem is the players for the system. We've used two up front and we still had problems.

Well your sentence construction ended with and stated "That isnt our problem" when the subject post was about 1 up front so how else is it to read!

Right Voice back up your last statement, what is our system and how are our players the problem and how can it be resolved, enlighten us all with your wisdom, maybe Tim Sherwood should read your response, if you choose to write one. 

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2014, 07:44:18 PM »

Well your sentence construction ended with and stated "That isnt our problem" when the subject post was about 1 up front so how else is it to read!

Right Voice back up your last statement, what is our system and how are our players the problem and how can it be resolved, enlighten us all with your wisdom, maybe Tim Sherwood should read your response, if you choose to write one.

The fact is that whether we play two up front or one and still lose (as Sherwood has used both, and even AVB has used two up front) then the players are not good enough? If I am wrong then what is the problem? Or if it isn't the players then it is the manager.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2014, 07:52:14 PM »

The fact is that whether we play two up front or one and still lose (as Sherwood has used both, and even AVB has used two up front) then the players are not good enough? If I am wrong then what is the problem? Or if it isn't the players then it is the manager.

I dont care if you are wrong or right that means nothing to me, I have invited you to back up your statement be it with opinion, fact or assumption but back up the statement you made and suggest a solution it will open up more of a debate.  :up:

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »

I dont care if you are wrong or right that means nothing to me, I have invited you to back up your statement be it with opinion, fact or assumption but back up the statement you made and suggest a solution it will open up more of a debate.  :up:

I suppose it all depends on how you read things, but I thought I did..... but hats of to opening up the debate. :up:
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2014, 04:31:28 AM »

I suppose it all depends on how you read things, but I thought I did..... but hats of to opening up the debate. :up:

Sorry Voice, but I don't get on here as much as I used to or would like. But to me it looks like you are up to your usual avoidance tricks. You are more than willing to tell others they are wrong, but when asked to clarify what you actually mean, you run off with your tail between your legs. Or at least that is how you appear, even if unintentionally.

Come Voice respond properly to Metal and say what you think at least. We may disagree with you, but we won't ridicule. You have said plenty of times you like to debate...now is your chance.  ;) :up:
Maybe next year...

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2014, 07:27:46 AM »
Quote from Metalanimal:-
           "How can you say that playing one up front isnt our problem, it is as when we have 1 up front our midfield is cramped they play flat. Did you watch the game and see how things changed for the better in our game play when we switched to 4-4-2 as we actually created chances!"

Quote from Voice:-
          "The fact is that whether we play two up front or one and still lose (as Sherwood has used both, and even AVB has used two up front) then the players are not good enough? If I am wrong then what is the problem? Or if it isn't the players then it is the manager."

Metal, once again you are 100% correct, with only one up front our midfield becomes cramped to the point of getting in each others way, not only that, because we only have one up front, it allows the opposition to push two of their back four further forward, which effectively gives them 2 extra midfield players, which literally makes the midfield even more congested. There are times when playing one up front can be utilized, and that, in my opinion, is when we want to park the bus, ie. away to Liverpool or Chelsea or any of the top teams, because it will cramp their midfield, which can negate their creativity, but against teams that we expect to beat away from home we should be playing 2 strikers.

Voice, Once again you are using AVB as an example, this season the only times he employed 2 strikers, he used Defoe(5' 7") and Soldado(5'10"), probably 2 of the smallest strikers in the PL, that's why it didn't work! Tim Sherwood has employed both styles in his short tenure and this is the first time we have lost away from home in the PL under his tutelage. On the occasions that he has played 2 up front(Ade & Soldado) it has proved to be effective, probably due to the fact that Ade is 6'3" and is the target man, enabling him to lay off the ball.
         With regards to your statement that the players are not good enough, there are some that are clearly not good enough, namely Naughton and Rose, but I think you are wrong to generalize, since AVB was Sacked you have been very critical of the appointment of TS, you clearly want to see him fail, and criticize him at every opportunity, personally I would like to see him given the opportunity to coach the team for the full 18 months that Levy has given him.

:nods: :nods: :nods:
:SN:[font

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2014, 08:59:51 AM »
I'm not so sure playing one up front is all of the problem, so long as he stays in the middle up front. Ade drifts all over the place because the service is so poor.
When playing one up front, it is vital to have a traditional number 10, like Erikssen, or for example Rooney/Bergkamp/Sherringham etc. Also we need effective wingers to get balls into the box, with attacking midfielders getting into the box.
On the odd occasion somebody delivers a good ball into the box and behind the defenders, there is nobody there.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »
Agree with the 2 up front. In a game like yesterday's where they defended in numbers, we may have got a result, particularly if Eriksen had played instead of Bentaleb or at least had come on as a sub.

It seems like Sherwood is making the same mistakes with an overpopulated midfield and just the one up front chasing shadows. In fact, Norwich could have scored more in the last 10mn, when we threw the kitchen sink at them. Dawson had a nightmare and Rose is to blame for the goal. Too often out of position imo.

Something to look forward to on Thursday if we can win on our own turf before a 10 day break to gather our thoughts for the game v Cardiff which is a must win.  :up: