SpursNetwork

Soldado - 26 Million pound dud??

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
Re: Soldado - 26 Million pound dud??
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2014, 04:09:38 PM »
I have tried to give Soldado the benefit of the doubt due to the fact that he has scored all of his penalties, most of which were under a lot of pressure at the time, and something that none of our other strikers have done with any consistency. That, coupled with his nice touches and assists has made me think there is a top striker waiting to get out.
However, 26 million is an awful lot of money to pay for anyone, and for me he has to start scoring soon, or he will end up another Torres / Carroll. This, coupled with 30 odd mill for Lamela represents 56 million on 2 players who are struggling big time.
For me, the question should be : Baldini - 45 grand a week dud ? If Levy were a CEO in business, surely he would have been given the dreaded vote of confidence by now, for some of his decision making has been terrible. When will he ever learn that you have to let the manager make his own decisions over which players he wants.

Soldado is working well with Ado and so long as we are winning we should give him a bit longer.

I agree with Paul, the two are playing well together and seem to be forming a good partnership, regardless which one scores, if the team effort, work rate and attitude is right and we win the game then fine, Soldado has struggled infront of goal but generally that was down to him being isolated, playing a lone striker was not his way of playing, and the way AVB set the team out we were so cramped in midfield had very little width and when we did play wingers they cut inside to much.
Now Soldado can hang around the box or make runs of Ade, he is showing signs of the goal scorer we expect and know him to be, I think after a few more games he will start hitting the net and then confidence and quality will do the rest, we just have to be patient.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2014, 04:44:20 PM »
I have tried to give Soldado the benefit of the doubt due to the fact that he has scored all of his penalties, most of which were under a lot of pressure at the time, and something that none of our other strikers have done with any consistency. That, coupled with his nice touches and assists has made me think there is a top striker waiting to get out.
However, 26 million is an awful lot of money to pay for anyone, and for me he has to start scoring soon, or he will end up another Torres / Carroll. This, coupled with 30 odd mill for Lamela represents 56 million on 2 players who are struggling big time.
For me, the question should be : Baldini - 45 grand a week dud ? If Levy were a CEO in business, surely he would have been given the dreaded vote of confidence by now, for some of his decision making has been terrible. When will he ever learn that you have to let the manager make his own decisions over which players he wants.

Soldado is working well with Ado and so long as we are winning we should give him a bit longer.

I agree with Paul, the two are playing well together and seem to be forming a good partnership, regardless which one scores, if the team effort, work rate and attitude is right and we win the game then fine, Soldado has struggled infront of goal but generally that was down to him being isolated, playing a lone striker was not his way of playing, and the way AVB set the team out we were so cramped in midfield had very little width and when we did play wingers they cut inside to much.
Now Soldado can hang around the box or make runs of Ade, he is showing signs of the goal scorer we expect and know him to be, I think after a few more games he will start hitting the net and then confidence and quality will do the rest, we just have to be patient.

Isn't that what I said?
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2014, 06:32:25 PM »

Isn't that what I said?

No !

;)
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2014, 06:36:19 PM »
Why all the personal bickering again, lads?  :(

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2014, 08:37:40 PM »
Why all the personal bickering again, lads?  :(

Its that type of thing that wrecks threads, voice it is not a competition as to who said what and who is right!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 06:51:22 AM »

RSS, Whilst I agree with some of your post there are some points that I disagree with: Namely (1) Lamela is only 21 years old, speaks little or no English and has a 30 mill Pound price tag on his head, one can only imagine the pressure the KID must be under, he is undoubtedly a massive talent with a big future, and he needs to be given time. :nods: :nods: :nods: (2) Soldado, I have made my opinions on him very clear in previous topics, unfortunately AVB chose to play him as a lone striker(you have to realize he is 5'10" tall and has pretty much always operated with another strike partner) and because of the lack of help his confidence is at an all time low, we are now starting to see his true qualities since TS has partnered him with Ade, you have to agree that there has been a definite improvement, you do not become a bad player overnite, he is a quality striker and I feel sure that we will start to see that sooner rather than later. :nods: :nods: :nods: :nods:
        With regards to Baldini and Levy, yes there is an element of truth in what you say and I think it will only be a matter of time before some serious questions are asked of the two of them. We will see.  :-\ :-\ :-\

:up: :up: :up:

Exactly - So why did not AVB / Baldini / Levy think about these points before splashing out 56 million ? Unless AVB was lied to regarding which players he could have to play his method of football ? In which case my feelings about the latter two are probably justified. As for Soldado's definite improvement, I am not sure what you mean, as he still hasn't scored a goal.

RSS, The point that I am trying to make regarding Soldado's improvement is that since he has been partnered with Ade, the two of them are definitely linking up well, you are quite right, Soldado hasn't scored yet! but he has had a few chances, and as I said his confidence is really low, I think it is just a matter of time before he gets the monkey off his back. At least I hope it is, no, I know it is only a matter of time!!!!!!!!!! :ohyeah: :ohyeah: Be Patient my friend, be patient. :nods: :nods:

:up: :up: :up:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:52:58 AM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 04:34:41 PM »
I agree that Soldado and Ado are working well up front together. Soldado might not be scoring, but he is contributing to the goals. Give him time and he will break his duck.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2014, 05:27:40 PM »
I really hope he'll start scoring before it's too late to save our season.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2014, 05:37:24 PM »

He's an experienced striker so he should do. He's just been unlucky.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline StartingPrice

• Mark my words...summits gonna happen!
  • Hero: Mabbs
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2014, 10:10:50 PM »
I fink we should send that Goreth Boil on loan to Nottingham Forrest - he's an absolute flop! He's been here 3 months and he's done nothing...NOTHING!!!  :2funny:
If you can't change the World, change yourself...and if you can't change yourself, then, change the World.

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2014, 06:21:48 AM »

So were Andrey Shevchenko and Fernando Morientes.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »

True, but in our case I hope it isn't the same.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline scotspurs

• C.O.Y.S
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2014, 12:37:55 PM »

Good point Riff - very worrying as both are/were better than Soldado in the first place IMO.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2014, 06:35:13 PM »
Rumors are still rife that Berbatoss may come back to WHL, much as I hate him and in the past have stated I never want to see him in a Spurs shirt again I have this season changed my mind.

I think he would be the ideal strike partner to kick start Soldado and they would work very well together, so in short I would make use of Berbatoss and when its job done bye bye, looking to the greater good which is THFC making the most of this season!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2014, 08:47:36 PM »
Rumors are still rife that Berbatoss may come back to WHL, much as I hate him and in the past have stated I never want to see him in a Spurs shirt again I have this season changed my mind.

I think he would be the ideal strike partner to kick start Soldado and they would work very well together, so in short I would make use of Berbatoss and when its job done bye bye, looking to the greater good which is THFC making the most of this season!
At the moment I think Adebayor has the same qualities as Berbatov and his work-rate is much better.