SpursNetwork

A Fortune Teller's look back at our season.

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
  • Season Ticket: No
A Fortune Teller's look back at our season.
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:00:04 PM »
I thought I would start the summer reflections a bit ahead of time, before anyone lacking in the hair department gets to tell us he told us so, or at least that he kind of told us so. And before those who like to vibrate air across their larynx on a regular basis tells us we have to trust the system and powers that be that it knows best and will do what is right for Spurs.

So given our current situation I would say that CL is not looking a likely outcome, I think 5th is where we will stay, but hope that is not the case. Let us look at the way it could pan out.

If we lose or draw any of our last games, we are not good enough yet to be in the CL. Schezney was wrong that we do not have the quality to be in the CL. But we do have the quality to challenge for it. I see us and Ars*nal about even in quality. In fact there is only one of their players I would have in our first team. But if we Ars*nal and Chelsea are all challenging for top 4, there will always be one who is unsuccessful.

If we win our last two games, get 6 points and Chelsea or Ars*nal throw it away, then we should all get behind AVB next season and stop bitching about him being the manager. If they do not gift us we will still have our highest points score in the premier league, even if the position is not as high as in previous seasons. If this happens, how will you judge our season? After Harry was sacked and we got AVB I stated that we should at the very minimum get 4th place, to maintain our position, anything less was failure for me. As the season draws to a close and the likelihood of 4th seems unlikely I still feel the same way.

However, I do not blame AVB, I do not think he should be sacked, or is not good enough. I think I am willing to support him from the start next year anyway. I have seen enough to give him more time and for him to be the one to try to take us from a challenging top 4 side to one that is confidently top 4, probably top 3 and realistically pushing the top 2, and this is important, next year!

The only way we will be able to do this, is if our board take a sensible but serious chance to do so. Every year we say the same, but nothing happens. With the changes happening at Man U this could be the best time to push hard to close the gap. If we wait too long we will miss it.
Maybe next year...

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
Re: A Fortune Teller's look back at our season.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:28:59 AM »
I thought I would start the summer reflections a bit ahead of time, before anyone lacking in the hair department gets to tell us he told us so, or at least that he kind of told us so. And before those who like to vibrate air across their larynx on a regular basis tells us we have to trust the system and powers that be that it knows best and will do what is right for Spurs.

So given our current situation I would say that CL is not looking a likely outcome, I think 5th is where we will stay, but hope that is not the case. Let us look at the way it could pan out.

If we lose or draw any of our last games, we are not good enough yet to be in the CL. Schezney was wrong that we do not have the quality to be in the CL. But we do have the quality to challenge for it. I see us and Ars*nal about even in quality. In fact there is only one of their players I would have in our first team. But if we Ars*nal and Chelsea are all challenging for top 4, there will always be one who is unsuccessful.

If we win our last two games, get 6 points and Chelsea or Ars*nal throw it away, then we should all get behind AVB next season and stop bitching about him being the manager. If they do not gift us we will still have our highest points score in the premier league, even if the position is not as high as in previous seasons. If this happens, how will you judge our season? After Harry was sacked and we got AVB I stated that we should at the very minimum get 4th place, to maintain our position, anything less was failure for me. As the season draws to a close and the likelihood of 4th seems unlikely I still feel the same way.

However, I do not blame AVB, I do not think he should be sacked, or is not good enough. I think I am willing to support him from the start next year anyway. I have seen enough to give him more time and for him to be the one to try to take us from a challenging top 4 side to one that is confidently top 4, probably top 3 and realistically pushing the top 2, and this is important, next year!

The only way we will be able to do this, is if our board take a sensible but serious chance to do so. Every year we say the same, but nothing happens. With the changes happening at Man U this could be the best time to push hard to close the gap. If we wait too long we will miss it.
Valid points. I would have to agree with you that we're probably not going to make it to CL. Of course, I would love us to... I would like to add that we have actually had a pretty good season, and so have Chelsea and Ars*nal. All three teams have had their bad runs and good runs. Considering we have more points now than we had this time last season, I'd say Villas-Boas should not be ashamed. To be honest I can't name a manager who would have done better with the thin squad, with two out of form strikers and s**tloads of injuries.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:45:16 AM »
Valid points. I would have to agree with you that we're probably not going to make it to CL. Of course, I would love us to... I would like to add that we have actually had a pretty good season, and so have Chelsea and Ars*nal. All three teams have had their bad runs and good runs. Considering we have more points now than we had this time last season, I'd say Villas-Boas should not be ashamed. To be honest I can't name a manager who would have done better with the thin squad, with two out of form strikers and s**tloads of injuries.

Agree entirely on all points, but it is not quite over just yet, there is still a faint hope. The table says it all really.

There has been a few disappointments regarding some games we should have won, but if you look at Chelsea and the Arse, the same thing applies to them. I have nothing but praises for AVB for what he has done with a poorer squad, lack of form and injuries to key players at crucial times. Personally, should we make 4th, I believe we wouldn't last very long in the CL if we don't buy big.  Already, we are linked with £20m players and I am sure this will go on all summer long and not much will come of it.

As  a long standing supporter, I am amazed that Levy did not buy in Jan and probably will not spend big to fill in the gaps this summer. If this is is the case, we will be looking at a similar situation come May 2014, struggling for 4th place.

On a different topic, Fergie's retirement will boost the hopes of Chelsea, Ars*nal, City, us and a couple of others. Frankly,  I cannot see Moyse doing as well, short or long term and I think there will be a lull for quite a while. To me Fergie is virtually irreplaceable. 

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »
Frankly,  I cannot see Moyse doing as well, short or long term and I think there will be a lull for quite a while. To me Fergie is virtually irreplaceable. 
For some reason I think he will succeed. He will inherit a strong squad and will probably bring in a few new faces (Fellaini and sadly Baines who should come to Spurs  :) ). Of course, there is always a chance that Sir Alex Ferguson's judgmental stare from upstairs will make things difficult for them (just like it was when Sir Matt Busby left and became a director in 1969). We shall see. Should we qualify for CL we could maybe buy want-away Rooney from them...  ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:51:09 PM by RiffHard »

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 02:08:33 PM »

I did not say Moyes would not succeed, but he will find it very hard to achieve any success close to anything Fergie did.

Want-away Rooney? I still don't believe that whatever happens, he is not one for us in terms of temperament and he would totally balls-ups our wage structure!

There are rumours about Moyes making Bale his no. 1 target. I wonder how much of that is true?

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »
   There are rumours about Moyes making Bale his no. 1 target. I wonder how much of that is true?

I think Mr Bale will be the No.1 Target for pretty much every Club in Europe. The question is: Will Levy sell him? and in doing so sell Spurs down the RIVER? We shall have to wait and see!!
    Personally I hope not, but in view of his(Levy) past history, I am not going to hold my breath!!

:-\ :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:46:31 PM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
I noticed that AVB said - on Sky - that if we should fail to make the 4th spot then we must heavily invest to make sure that we make it next year.

AVB will still be in charge building a better squad for higher things. At least we will still be in Europe.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 01:19:41 PM »
This topic is a great read with awesome valid points that really can not be argued.

It is a tense finish for us and i think after todays game we will know more as to our league fate.

I will be very disappointed not to get in the CL this time around and i would like to see if different approach next season regarding other tournaments with the EPL being out and out priority all others use to develop our fringe players (inc Europa). How we progress next season is more down to who gets sold and who gets bought.

I gave AVB my backing from the outset, i wasnt keen on him but got behind him, now after his first season I believe very strongly that we have the makings of a manager that can take us very far forward but much depends on the board regarding investment

I very much hope we don't need to spend to be able to buy and that Levy resists the massive temptation to sell Bale as some big offers will come in!

Being a Spurs fan isnt easy or predictable or any good for the nerves!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »
The way i look at it , once again we`ve been our own worst enemies . WE had a good lead over the filth and chelsea and made a bollocks of it by losing to liverpool and fulham . The other teams wouldn`t be any closer to us if we`d won those games . AVB definately deserves more time as i think we`re a better team than we were last season . Once sandro`s fit again and we sort our striking options out we`ll be fine . Having said all of this , if levy flogs bale (i think he`ll give us another year) we`re basically f**ked !
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline dimexi

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
We are still on course to gain our highest points tally. But whatever happens this is a very important time in our development. Even though we have been calling for some changes in approach for years now, I would argue that this summer could be the most important and significant time in our recent history. The decisions made this year will impact on where this club ends up over the next five years. Don't forget Liverpool will be pushing hard next year and will be competing with us and Ars*nal for the 4thy spot. Unless of course we make it our own by aiming for 2nd or 3rd.
Maybe next year...

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 08:41:57 AM »
We are still on course to gain our highest points tally. But whatever happens this is a very important time in our development. Even though we have been calling for some changes in approach for years now, I would argue that this summer could be the most important and significant time in our recent history. The decisions made this year will impact on where this club ends up over the next five years. Don't forget Liverpool will be pushing hard next year and will be competing with us and Ars*nal for the 4thy spot. Unless of course we make it our own by aiming for 2nd or 3rd.
This summer could be important to many other clubs as well. Manchester United are to enter a new era, Manchester City sacked Mancini and must now bring in someone new with a new strategy to actually prove that money can buy titles and trophies. Chelsea will get a new manager and could lose some of their stalwarts, Ars*nal haven't won anything for ages and will probably spend big, the same applies to Liverpool. If we snooze, we lose. That's it.

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »

This summer could be important to many other clubs as well. Manchester United are to enter a new era, Manchester City sacked Mancini and must now bring in someone new with a new strategy to actually prove that money can buy titles and trophies. Chelsea will get a new manager and could lose some of their stalwarts, Ars*nal haven't won anything for ages and will probably spend big, the same applies to Liverpool. If we snooze, we lose. That's it.

Liverpool as you state, will push forward, but as they good enough and I wonder if Suarez will stay?

As far as I can see, Ars*nal will remain more or less as they are.  I cannot see them buy big unless they sell first.

I don't think we will see Man U win anything for another year at least. Moyes will need a while to settle in and now that Fergie is gone I doubt that Man U will ever be the same again. Fergie was Man U and man U was Fergie.

The new City manager will have a bit of rebuilding to do.

I think Chelsea will be the ones at the top if Jose returns to the bridge.

Based on that, I think we will stand a good chance to get higher next season. ABV is young, ambitious and has one good year of experience with the club under his belt. It's now all down to Levy 

My fortune teller  told me that he could not predict the outcome of Ars*nal's game tonight, so I won't stick my neck out.

:coys:

Offline dimexi

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 09:58:30 PM »
There is talk of Parker going to QPR next season. He has done well for us but I do not think he should be any more than a squad player if he stays. This made me start to think seriously about how and where we need to shake things up a bit, if we are going to make our move, as it were. Watching our recent games, I was already thinking that Parker is no longer dominating the centre of the park like he did, so he was one I would let go. Huddlestone for me is just painfully slow, yes at times he can pick a pass, but too often he loses the ball trying to make a short easy pass to a better player in space.

Obviously Sandro coming back would help loads, but we need another ball winning player, or better still a box to box jack of all trades to support Sandro. Dembele, may be able to fill that role, but not 100% convinced yet. As has been previously said, Sig, Holtby and Dempsey are not really at the standard we need in our first 11, for all of their positives, there is just too big a lack of quality in their play. If this area is sorted out properly, I think the defence will be far more effective, so do not think we need any first team defenders to come in necessarily. Although a left footed LB would be useful to help Ekoto.

If we keep Bale and he continues to play centrally / stroke all over the park, we need balance on the left to give us width and pace. A player that can swap with Lennon and or Bale would be perfect.

Nothing needs to be said about the striker problem, it is too obvious and often discussed.

Maybe next year...

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 11:07:10 PM »
Similar position this May as we were last May. 1 miserable point behind Ars*nal with 1 last game to play and hoping that THEY drop points in Newcastle and we win at the Lane.

Nearly over but not quite.  :hide:  One thing for sure, we are guaranteed 5th (LOL) which some will be unhappy with, but marginally better than the 8th or 9th that some predicted at the beginning of the season.

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 06:46:04 AM »
There is talk of Parker going to QPR next season. He has done well for us but I do not think he should be any more than a squad player if he stays. This made me start to think seriously about how and where we need to shake things up a bit, if we are going to make our move, as it were. Watching our recent games, I was already thinking that Parker is no longer dominating the centre of the park like he did, so he was one I would let go. Huddlestone for me is just painfully slow, yes at times he can pick a pass, but too often he loses the ball trying to make a short easy pass to a better player in space.

Obviously Sandro coming back would help loads, but we need another ball winning player, or better still a box to box jack of all trades to support Sandro. Dembele, may be able to fill that role, but not 100% convinced yet. As has been previously said, Sig, Holtby and Dempsey are not really at the standard we need in our first 11, for all of their positives, there is just too big a lack of quality in their play. If this area is sorted out properly, I think the defence will be far more effective, so do not think we need any first team defenders to come in necessarily. Although a left footed LB would be useful to help Ekoto.

If we keep Bale and he continues to play centrally / stroke all over the park, we need balance on the left to give us width and pace. A player that can swap with Lennon and or Bale would be perfect.

Nothing needs to be said about the striker problem, it is too obvious and often discussed.

As some of the older members remember I said many years ago that Parker should be signed for Spurs and I got some stick for that. After we'd signed him and he'd turned in some great performances, opinions where somewhat different. However, I admit that Parker has not had the season he had last year. Injury has probably affected him and he's not getting any younger either, but I believe he could still be an important player for us.

Parker is one of the players who is doing the dirty work and is therefore not as prominent as some other players. Parker is still breaking up plays, throwing himself around and when opportunity arises, starting attacks (not many have noticed that his long passes to Lennon have lead to quite a few goals this season). I agree that he has also had some trouble marking his players and goals have been scored against us because of that (Oscar at the Chelsea game, for example).

Parker is a respected leader and a role model who can be a real influence on younger lads. I don't think that a player will turn from one of the best midfielders in the league into crap and I believe he can still be an influential squad member for us. Also, we must be prepared that Sandro who returns might also not be the Sandro he was before the injury as there is never a guarantee with injuries.