SpursNetwork

QPR v Tottenham

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: QPR v Tottenham
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:03 PM »
May I add that it's somewhat easier to beat a stronger team who don't defend with ten men in their box. Teams that play attacking football are far more vulnerable at the back. Take Brazil, they have always been a good attacking team but have conceded quite a bit as well.

I'm not saying bus-parking teams cannot be beaten with good players and great tactics, but as Voice said, quite often these weaker teams manage to surprise big boys. Strong team keeps attacking and attacking, they get tired and nervous because they are expected to win whereas the weaker team is quite happy not to concede and who knows, one good counter attack and the tables will have turned.

And one more thing - (yes, I've said before) - QPR are by no means a bad team, they simply had one of the worst managers of the football league system. They have decent players who are more than able to change a game.

Exactly. On top of that clubs at the top have a lot to lose, but clubs at the bottom don’t have as much to lose and can afford to throw caution to the wind.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2013, 11:37:25 PM »
     I do not dispute what you say RSS61, what annoys me is that some of the people who subscribe to this forum seem either unable or incapable of accepting that at the moment we are not, as much as I wish and want us to be, the simple fact is we aren't. You are quite right we are not a million miles away, but we are not there yet. I appreciate your support thankyou.

:up: :up: :up:

I can't recall ever saying "we are there".  It is pretty obvious that we are not, but we are in a good position with  still 16 games to go . No doubt we will lose a few on the way starting Sunday probably, but hopefully I will be wrong!   :nods:

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2013, 07:33:12 AM »
Voice,
    They do not continually beat Top teams, every now and then yes they do, it is more by luck than judgement. My point is this, if we are going to be considered as legitimate contenders for the title and CL we cannot afford to be dropping points to teams like QPR, so far this season we have dropped points to:-
 Newcastle (A) 3pts, West Brom (H) 2 pts, Norwich (H) 2pts, Chelsea (H) 3 pts, Wigan (H) 3pts, Man City (A) 3pts, Ars*nal (A) 3 pts, Everton (A) 3pts, Stoke (H) 2 pts, QPR (A) 2pts
 a total of 26 points,
   12 pts of which have been dropped to teams that are in the bottom half of the league,
   7 pts of which have been dropped at Home to teams that are in the bottom half of the league,
    Why have we dropped them, because the opposition have parked the Bus, and we have been unable to break them down, I can put my hand on my heart and say that not one of those teams that took pts off of us that are in the bottom half outplayed us or had more possession than us, and deserved them, but because of our inability to break them down, they did. That VOICE is my point, had we have got half of those pts, we would be 5 pts clear of Chelsea, not one point behind, and we would be 9 points clear of the Team in 5th spot, instead of which we are now looking over our shoulder, because we are only 3 pts clear of 5th, with, I hasten to add, a lot of hard games against some very dangerous attacking  teams coming up.
That is my point.

:nods: :nods: :nods:

:SN:[font

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2013, 07:37:58 AM »
Voice, I don't recall seeing QPR throwing caution to the wind on Saturday, or did I miss something, maybe I was watching a different game.

:nope: :nope:

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2013, 07:52:02 AM »
Voice,
    They do not continually beat Top teams, every now and then yes they do, it is more by luck than judgement. My point is this, if we are going to be considered as legitimate contenders for the title and CL we cannot afford to be dropping points to teams like QPR, so far this season we have dropped points to:-
 Newcastle (A) 3pts, West Brom (H) 2 pts, Norwich (H) 2pts, Chelsea (H) 3 pts, Wigan (H) 3pts, Man City (A) 3pts, Ars*nal (A) 3 pts, Everton (A) 3pts, Stoke (H) 2 pts, QPR (A) 2pts
 a total of 26 points,
   12 pts of which have been dropped to teams that are in the bottom half of the league,
   7 pts of which have been dropped at Home to teams that are in the bottom half of the league,
    Why have we dropped them, because the opposition have parked the Bus, and we have been unable to break them down, I can put my hand on my heart and say that not one of those teams that took pts off of us that are in the bottom half outplayed us or had more possession than us, and deserved them, but because of our inability to break them down, they did. That VOICE is my point, had we have got half of those pts, we would be 5 pts clear of Chelsea, not one point behind, and we would be 9 points clear of the Team in 5th spot, instead of which we are now looking over our shoulder, because we are only 3 pts clear of 5th, with, I hasten to add, a lot of hard games against some very dangerous attacking  teams coming up.
That is my point.

Agree 100% and this is why we MUST sign a creative midfielder and a striker to give us another attacking system, as teams have come to realise that if they stop Bale, Lennon and Defoe then we are unlikely to get many goals. Teams who think 1 point against us is a good result will employ these tactics with success. Top 4 sides will usually outscore us. Hence we score 1 or 2 against them but still lose.

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
RSS61,
          You are 100% correct, and for us to be contenders and not buy, we have GOT to learn how to break these defensive teams down and beat them, I don't care if it is only 1-0, but we have to learn, and the onus falls fairly and squarely on AVB's shoulders, HE IS THE SENIOR COACH, and the buck stops with him and his fellow coaches END OF .

:nods: :nods:

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
          You are 100% correct, and for us to be contenders and not buy, we have GOT to learn how to break these defensive teams down and beat them, I don't care if it is only 1-0, but we have to learn, and the onus falls fairly and squarely on AVB's shoulders, HE IS THE SENIOR COACH, and the buck stops with him and his fellow coaches END OF .

I will gladly agree with you on this one 100% for a change and disagree with VOICE on his comments that  smaller clubs do continually beat top teams. It is not the case.

Yes, the buck stops with AVB as head coach, but can we blame him for everything? I don't think so.  Bale & Lennon went AWOL at Loftus road and as I have already mentioned, we were unlucky not to score at least one. Having said that, I will also agree that we have dropped too many points to lower teams so far and true enough, even half those dropped 19 points (Wigan, Norwich and Stoke being the worse ones) would have put us well up there above Chelsea.   :ohyeah:

I will put my "No Sh*t Sherlock "hat on again and repeat that if we do not sign a recognise gooalscorer and possibly creative midfielder in this window as RSS61 mentions,  we are likely to  continue in the same vein for the rest of the season, unless Ade suddendly wakes up when he returns and starts banging them in  :nope:.

I have posted an article, written by someone else,  in the "AVB return to Chelsea thread" which highlights a few good points about AVB's amongst other things. Whilst I do not agree with everthing there, I think it paints a very true picture of his performance and that of the club so far .  :up:

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »

I will gladly agree with you on this one 100% for a change and disagree with VOICE on his comments that  smaller clubs do continually beat top teams. It is not the case.

Yes, the buck stops with AVB as head coach, but can we blame him for everything? I don't think so.  Bale & Lennon went AWOL at Loftus road and as I have already mentioned, we were unlucky not to score at least one. Having said that, I will also agree that we have dropped too many points to lower teams so far and true enough, even half those dropped 19 points (Wigan, Norwich and Stoke being the worse ones) would have put us well up there above Chelsea.   :ohyeah:

I will put my "No Sh*t Sherlock "hat on again and repeat that if we do not sign a recognise gooalscorer and possibly creative midfielder in this window as RSS61 mentions,  we are likely to  continue in the same vein for the rest of the season, unless Ade suddendly wakes up when he returns and starts banging them in  :nope:.

I have posted an article, written by someone else,  in the "AVB return to Chelsea thread" which highlights a few good points about AVB's amongst other things. Whilst I do not agree with everthing there, I think it paints a very true picture of his performance and that of the club so far .  :up:

When we won the double, we did it by outscoring most of the opposition. It worked then, and it works now. Just look at Man U. To do that we need a top striker, and someone else creative to help Bale and Lennon supply them, and chip in with some goals, like Frank Lampard has done for the last 10 years. Simples.

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »
Bang on comment RSS61.

Let's see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Yiddite

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »
Bad news from the QPR game is that Sandro
has now undergone an operation on his knee.
No details as to how long he will be out for.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »
Voice,
 a total of 26 points,
That is my point.

What you must remember is that AVB has just taken over the club and is finding his feet. Secondly some players left in the summer, while others have just come in. What AVB has done is to  knit them into very good team (not perfect) but he is getting there. Don’t forget he has only been in his job nearly 6 months. Not even Alex Ferguson did that well at the beginning when he joined United. As I constantly pointed out he was close to getting the sack. How we judge anybody is by how we finish up. At the moment he is doing a good job.

Concerning top clubs; they usually take a few years before challenging for top spots. AVB is doing better than most. He deserves our backing instead of knit picking all the time.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2013, 05:51:02 PM »
Voice, I don't recall seeing QPR throwing caution to the wind on Saturday, or did I miss something, maybe I was watching a different game.

:nope: :nope:

Under Harry they've got better. Or do you disagree?
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 05:52:16 PM »

When we won the double, we did it by outscoring most of the opposition. It worked then, and it works now. Just look at Man U. To do that we need a top striker, and someone else creative to help Bale and Lennon supply them, and chip in with some goals, like Frank Lampard has done for the last 10 years. Simples.

I don't think there is any argument that we need another striker.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 05:56:16 PM »

I don't think I said "continually"? Clubs that struggle have over the years beaten championship winning teams.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »

I don't think I said "continually"? Clubs that struggle have over the years beaten championship winning teams.

Sorry if I have got the continually wrong. I picked it up from PF post