SpursNetwork

A fortune in deadwood

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
A fortune in deadwood
« on: December 16, 2010, 10:45:45 AM »
its truly amazing how the relative incompetence of Levy has left this club not just bleeding millions in wasted salaries per year, but the lack of success in moving on players considered surplus...

of course, the players have to be convinced to move and getting them to quit the monster salaries and the bright lights of London is not easy.... but THAT'S why Levy gets paid what he does (or we could get Biggsy to be chairman 8) )...

here's the amount just wasting away with every passing day, both in transfer-value and salaries :-

Player.....................Transfer Value.........Salary to still pay on contract (approx)

Keane............ ......6m............................10m .......(2.5yrs left)

Bentley..................6m............................8m.........(2.5yrs left on 5yr deal)

Dos Santos...........5m..............................4m

O'Hara...................4m.............................2m

Naughton..............2m.............................1m

50 MILLION POUNDS........

Levy should have bit the bullet and taken a paper-loss on some of the transfer-value of the likes of these and saved at least the cost of the ongoing salaries..... refusing to realise these losses to boost the yr-end financial results is rather like his visiual capacity....

short-sighted.

Offline Derry-Yid

• Hero: Teddy Sheringham
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: A fortune in deadwood
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:08:04 PM »
Spurs are not the only club, that have players not playing, and still picking up wages at the end of the week!

You just seem to think its just a Spurs thing for some reason.

I agree, we need to start moving some players on but as you already said its not easy.
"It's been my life, Tottenham Hotspur,
and I love the club."

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 12:30:11 PM »
I especially didnt mention players like Kranjcar and Corluka who have just this last few months lost their backup roles even..... I have just mentioned the players that have consistently not played for not 1 but 2 seasons now...

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »
Getting in the knock out phase of the CL is huge, and i think because of that we will see alot of them go in Jan

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 03:50:59 PM »
O'Hara is injured so we couldn't shift him if we wanted to. Isn't Naughton out on loan somewhere? If you look at the list of players we have on our books there are loads of them we have never seen and probably never will do, all drawing salaries that would make your eyes water. All clubs are like this though the more successfull the club the more players they have, not all can make it and they get sold on to the lower levels. It's amazing when you look round the leagues how many Ex Spurs players there are. I think I recall reading that we have more Ex players currently playing in The Prem than any club in the Country. Off course the better known ones are harder to shift they want more money and dont want to feel they are being labelled as failures so they stick out for a good deal, and who can blame them.It's not Mr Levys fault if he wants to sell players and they dont want to go, they have contracts signed in good faith and with the hope they would make the grade. I'm sure some of the ones you mentioned will be leaving come January, and more will come in who we have high hopes for but who end up no better than the ones we sold on.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 09:09:33 PM »
it was/is up to Levy to find the solutions.... he could/should have moved on both the redundant Keane and Bentley in the summer, with the right inducements to both players and/or buying clubs...

pot luck that Bale's sudden metamorphosis into the superstar-category (and rocketing market-value) has saved Levy from showing huge paper-losses with the said players still here... and still depreciating rapidly with each passing day...

Offline SomersetYiddo

• Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 03:01:27 PM »
Harry has said today that O'Hara will most likely be leaving, i see hi going to West Ham. He also says that Parker deal will not happen, he doesnt say these things bluntly you just have to read between the lines. YID ARMY

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »
O'Hara was starting to look a handy player for us before going out on loan and his daft comments regarding the FA Cup when Pompey played us, that was end of his career with us  :up: plus our midfield is our strongest area so there isnt really a place for him now.

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 05:12:37 PM »
I think O'Hara'a comment re Pompey and FA Cup was a tactical move to ensure that Spurs get their finger out in selling him... not unlike Bentgate...

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 03:55:33 PM »
I think HR and Lev have done poorly in transfers during the HR period.

VDV fell into their laps.

Defoe, Crouch, Keane were HR deals.  (Count how many all have scored in 2010 in the Prem, I suspect VDV has scored as many of them combined

Pav, Sandro were Lev deals.    I also can't see the 2 Kyles being HR deals. 

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 04:14:03 PM »
Harry bought what was required to change a team at the bottom to the team we are now. Emergency signings and since then we like all clubs have started to stop splashing the cash.

Cant say he has done well but because of his record of achievement you cant possibly suggest Crough and Defoe were bad signings. Especially when he knew there may be a chance of not getting the balance of payment for Defoe.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 05:12:41 PM »
Harry bought what was required to change a team at the bottom to the team we are now. Emergency signings and since then we like all clubs have started to stop splashing the cash.

Cant say he has done well but because of his record of achievement you cant possibly suggest Crough and Defoe were bad signings. Especially when he knew there may be a chance of not getting the balance of payment for Defoe.

probably the 1st and last time I totally agree with this poster's statement.. :santa_afro:

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 10:25:38 AM »
I can't help but think that some of this is with the benefit of hindsight.  If Gallas, Dawson and King had stayed fit and Lennon, Bale and Modric had been injured then Bentley, Kranjcar etc would probably have played a lot and the OP would be saying that Bassong and Kaboul were surplus......

Having said that, I think our squad would be improved by 3 or 4 of the older players (Bentley, Keane, Kranjcar, Crouch) leaving and one or two very high quality guys coming in.  But we can afford to keep O'Hara, Dos Santos and Naughton and see if they develop further.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 02:26:16 PM »
King is not really in our future plans he cant be due to his knees etc, Gallas is intended as a quick fix for cover our CB future lies with Daw, Kaboul (The Ram) and Bassong if king and woody are fit bonus.

Dos Santos a true natural talent is not suited to the EPL, Keane has lost his way, Crouch we should never have signed, Bentley and Kran can both still do jobs for us!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 03:10:49 PM »
Crouch we should never have signed
Huh? Crouch is one of the main reasons we managed to get to CL after all...