Football League + National League

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Football League + Conference
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2011, 10:17:03 AM »
Once again good update dude. Going to watch Southend today agaist steveage :D

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
  • Hero: Atiba Hutchinson/Jermain Defoe/Harry Kane
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2011, 03:24:11 AM »
Time for another update:

CHAMPIONSHIP

Well, so much for the run of form for Preston North End. As much as I like Iain Hume, I won't be losing sleep over North End (39) going down to the One. But they can take solace in that they aren't alone in being doomed to relegation, since most teams only have a single match left and all three red-zoners are at least six points back of Doncaster. Ya gotta feel bad for Sheffield United (42), though, because they just caught onto a run of good form themselves.

On the other hand, tomorrow's matches will be CRUCIAL for determining overall placement up top. Neither Pompey (57) nor Middlesbrough (56) have a chance in hell of making the playoffs, but they could play spoiler to Norwich (80) or Cardiff (79) respectively. Even though Cardiff is only a point back of Norwich, if Norwich wins and Cardiff does anything less, it's playoffs for them and Norwich is back in the Prems automatically, with highly-touted Canadian Simeon Jackson in tow. Jackson passed Hume again and leads all Canadians, not just in the Championship but in England period, with an even dozen bulging the twine.

(QPR (88), by the way, has already locked up the League Championship.)

Speaking of playoffs, there is still one team on the outside looking in that can make them, that being Leeds (69) who are three back of Nott Forest (72). But the odds are overwhelmingly in Forest's favour, since the amount Leeds wins by and the amount Forest loses by has to add up to seven for a definitive Leeds victory in this battle. If that isn't bad enough, Leeds is playing already-promotion-bound QPR, and Forest is playing sad-sack Crystal Palace (48), who just narrowly managed to escape relegation.

LEAGUE ONE

Well, even if Brighton & Hove (94) clinched first, it must be hard for them to see their lead on Southampton (86) cut in half - when I last reported, they had sixteen points on the Saints, but now they only have eight. Now Huddersfield (86) have kept pace with Southampton points-wise, but if Southampton beats doomed Plymouth Argyle (42) tomorrow (tonight for you English), the chances of them taking the second auto-promotion spot is astronomically slim, since the Saints have +15 better goal differential.

Playoffs, on the other hand, are locked in, the above near-impossible scenario notwithstanding. If things go according to expectations tomorrow night, Huddersfield will be joining Peterborough (77), MK Dons (74), and Bournemouth (71) in the playoffs. Leyton Orient and Exeter City (both 67) came up just shy.

Did I mention Plymouth was doomed? Perhaps not entirely should they do the unthinkable and beat Southampton. Even now their goal differential is close to that of Walsall (48, -17) and also to that of Dag & Red (47, -13) with a game in hand on both. If they do lose, they're screwed. If they draw, they're also screwed. But if they win, that makes the bottom end a LOT more exciting!

It's hardly impossible, but it will be hard. With Walsall playing Southampton, Plymouth playing Orient, and the Daggers playing Peterborough, it's really hard to say what will happen down there. Bristol Rovers are mathematically in points range as well, but a goal differential of -33 is going to be nigh on impossible to overcome. Which leaves Swindon (39) as the only team that is absolutely, unequivocally screwed. :P Down to the Two for you! NEXT!

LEAGUE TWO

A couple close battles left in the Two. Bury (83) and Chesterfield (80) are already guaranteed promotion, and Bury seems more in the driver's seat in terms of championship prospects. Even so much as a point from them and they're champeens. However, this doesn't rule Chesterfield out from winning the big prize. If Bury were to lose, Chesterfield need only win by any scoreline to surpass them. And here's something making it even tastier - Bury's last opponent is ever-desparate Gillingham (68) who is locked in a three-way points logjam with two other playoff spot holders, Torquay and Stevenage. Working against that, though, is the fact that equally desparate Stevenage plays Chesterfield!

Torquay, then, has the "easiest" opponent, who are only five points behind them. Rotherham. Port Vale would have to give Barnet (45) a sound thumping to make the playoffs, as they are not only three points back but also a substantial amount of goal differential. (Even after that, they'd have to hope for Gillingham, Torquay, AND Stevenage to all lose!)

The bottom end sees only one other match become important - Lincoln vs. Aldershot. Although Lincoln can stay alive if Barnet draws Port Vale (yeah, like that'll happen :P ) or loses to them (way more likely), a surefire way to ensure their safety is to beat the Shots.

CONFERENCE PREMIER

Well, the regular season is over and Crawley Town have set a new record for most points in a season (105) while equalling records in wins (31), fewest losses (3), and highest goal differential (63). Playoffs see 2nd-place Wimbledon (90) taking on freshly-promoted Fleetwood (78), and Luton (84) taking on Wrexham (81).

Going down... hoo boy, after three straight seasons of finishing in the red and not being relegated due to extenuating circumstances, then two more of mid-table madness, FINALLY, the ever-undeserving Altrincham (44) is relegated to the Conference North. Forest Green (46) really lucked out in the end. They lost their final match 2-1 to Tamworth, only to have Kettering beat Southport 3-1. The difference was two goals in the goal differential. It was that friggin' close. We knew Histon (28) and Eastbourne (39) were already hooped, although the latter did beat Altrincham 4-3 in spite of blowing a 3-0 lead.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it'll be Histon and Eastbourne going to the Conference South, with Altrincham and Southport going to the North.

CONFERENCE NORTH

If you thought it was impressive that Fleetwood made the playoffs right off of being promoted, have a gander at who's in the playoffs in the Conf-North! Guiseley (73) did end up edging out Nuneaton (72) in the end, and they finished behind Eastwood (also 73) by 17 on the goal diff chart :P To make things even more humorous, consider this - the two teams with 73 points drew each other on closing day, while Nuneaton lost to 10-point margin champs Alfreton (92). Telford (82) and Boston (79, also fresh off the promo) will play Guiseley and Eastwood respectively.

Now at the other end, we knew Redditch (9 :lol: ) was astronomically boned, and that it would come down mainly to Hyde (36) and Stafford (32). Well, in the end, Hyde won out by four points, putting an exclamation point on the season by beating Corby Town (49) 2-1. Stafford gave Stalybridge (57) a late scare, but ended up losing 3-2, ending a poor season on a low note and going down to the feeders.

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Well, Braintree (89) won in the end, as a run of good form combined with a run of bad form for second-place Farnborough (82) combined to propel them into the Conference Premier.

As for that five-team playoff logjam from last update, that wound up with Chelmsford (77) and Woking (76) edging out Welling (75), Dover (74), and Eastleigh (72). That must have been some incredibly exciting football to watch!

At the other end, in spite of losing four straight at the end, Hampton & Richmond (42) stayed afloat, as also did Maidenhead (40). Bishop's Stortford (45) were able to claw their way out of the red late with a three-game win streak. So who did that leave? Thurrock (37), the Lewesers (36), and sad-sack St. Albans (24).

Now then, since it's that time of year:

FEEDERS

Northern Premier

Halifax (98) didn't just win this division. They destroyed it. Besting Colwyn Bay (79) by a whopping nineteen points, the reborn Halifax side is set for Conference North action for next season.

The first round of the playoffs saw United of Manchester (76) oust "favoured" Bradford Park Avenue (77), and Colwyn Bay do likewise to North Ferriby United, both by the same 2-0 scoreline. The final goes tomorrow.

Southern Premier

Truro (87) and Hednesford (83) appeared to be neck-and-neck for most of the season, but a late slipup against lowely Evesham (51) cost Hednesford automatic promotion. They did, however, make good on their playoff opener against Leamington (78), winning 3-1. As expected between two teams that finished equal in points, Salisbury vs. Cambridge City (both 79) ended close, with the former winning 1-0. As with the Northern Premier, the Southern Premier playoff final goes tomorrow. So Truro will undoubtedly be playing in Conference South next season.

Isthmian Premier

Playoffs haven't even started here yet. But let me tell you - the race for that last playoff spot was a very close finish. As a matter of fact, the entire playoff section was a close finish! Check this out!

Tonbridge Angels - 76 (+26)
Bury Town - 76 (+18)
Lowestoft Town - 75
Harrow Borough - 73 (+26)
------------------------------------------------------------
Canvey Island - 73 (+18)
Kingstonian - 72
Concord Rangers - 71
Cray Wanderers - 69
AFC Hornchurch - 69
Billericay Town - 69

In any case, the playoffs start Tuesday, with Tonbridge hosting Harrow and Bury Town hosting Lowestoft.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!
Proudly Canadian, Proudly A Spurs Fan

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2011, 10:41:24 PM »
Mini-update:

CHAMPIONSHIP

Simeon Jackson's 13th goal of the season put the final nail in Cardiff's coffin (as far as auto-promo goes) as Norwich up-ended Portsmouth 1-0. Cardiff have to be left shaking their heads after they got flattened 3-0 by Middlesbrough, though. :P

LEAGUE ONE

Well, Southampton made a good two-in-one play by beating Plymouth 3-1. Not only does this eliminate Plymouth from the possibility of staying up, but it also all but eliminates Huddersfield from the possibility of automatic promotion. They would have to beat Brentford by an obscene scoreline and hope Walsall beats Southampton. Even a draw would be sufficient to clinch the spot altogether for the Saints.

FEEDER PLAYOFFS

Salisbury City win the Southern Premier playoffs 4-2 on a penalty shootout after finishing extra time even at 2. Colwyn Bay has also been promoted to the Conference, via a 1-0 Northern playoff finals win against United of Manchester.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #168 on: May 04, 2011, 06:41:59 AM »
Mini-update:

CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS

Started today. Unlike the feeders, they do two legs. In the north, Guiseley beat Boston 1-0 and Telford and Nuneaton were even at 1. Return leg goes on Sunday.

In the South, only one of the two matches was played today, with the other being tomorrow (replace "today" with "yesterday" and "tomorrow" with "today" if you're in Ingerland :P I'm on the West Coast of Canada, so I'm always stuck in the past.) That said, the one match saw Ebbsfleet beat the stuffing out of Chelmsford on their own grounds, 4-1. Farnborough and Woking square off tomorrow/later today.

FEEDERS PLAYOFFS

The Isthmian playoffs kicked off today. Lowestoft beat Bury 2-1 and Tonbridge Angels beat Harrow 3-2 in ET. Finals between Lowestoft and Tonbridge goes on Saturday.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:47:26 AM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2011, 06:41:34 AM »
Update time yet again!

CHAMPIONSHIP

All said and done.

Now Leeds DID beat QPR, but only by a score of 2-1. To make matters worse, Forest gave Palace a sound 3-0 thumping. So here's how the top end of the table finished.

Champs - Queens Park Rangers (88)
2nd Auto-Promo - Norwich City (84) (My hat's off to the best Canadian playing in England right now, one Simeon Jackson, for scoring the goal that got them there)

Playoffs -
Swansea vs. Nott Forest - first leg Thursday, second leg next Monday
Cardiff vs. Reading - first leg Friday, second leg next Tuesday

In the red, all three teams finished with the same number of points (42). So who finished last? Officially it was Sc*nthorpe, who had the worst goal differential (-44) and the most losses (28). Joining them will be Preston North End (and hopefully this means Iain Hume leaves that scumhole) and Sheffield United (how the mighty have fallen. I remember when they were Premier League :P)

LEAGUE ONE

Top-end finish:

Champeens: Brighton & Hove
Other auto-promo: Southampton, very much expected.

Playoffs:

Huddersfield vs. Bournemouth - first leg Saturday, second leg next Wednesday
Peterborough vs. MK Dons - first leg Sunday, second leg next Thursday

At the other end, Walsall lost, but Peterborough did them a huge favour by butchering Dag & Red 5-doughnut. So Walsall lives to die another day. Barely. Joining the Daggers will be Bristol Rovers, Plymouth Argyle, and Swindon Town, who ended their rotten season with a victory over Tranmere.

LEAGUE TWO

Silly me, I got Bury and Chesterfield backwards on my last update. :P Chesterfield won the divisional championship by beating Gillingham 3-1.

Champeens: Chesterfield
Other Auto-Promos: Bury, Wycombe

Playoffs:

Shrewsbury vs. Torquay - first leg Saturday, second leg next Friday (my birthday)
Accrington Stanley vs. Stevenage = first leg Sunday, second leg next Friday

Gillingham missed out on the playoffs by goal differential, as they lost, while Torquay did as well (to Rotherham) but Stevenage grabbed a late point to get out of the logjam by drawing 3-3 against Bury. Shrewsbury was ever-so-close to automatic promotion, but their 3-0 win against Oxford proved insufficent after Wycombe beat Southend 3-1 to get the full three points, and secure the last spot by one. (80 vs. Shrewsbury's 79).

At the other end... I have to laugh. God does have a sense of humour. :P I said that there was no chance of Barnet drawing against Port Vale. Guess what? They won. And Lincoln got smacked upside the head by Aldershot 3-0 to boot. So it's Lincoln who's going down to the Conference. Stockport's probably the best last-place team I've seen in the League for years though, so don't be surprised to see them back after a couple seasons.

CONFERENCE PREMIER

The playoffs have kicked off with Luton putting Wrexham through a 3-0 wringer, and Wimbledon blanking Fleetwood 2-buzz. Second leg goes tomorrow (two days from now my time).

CONFERENCE NORTH AND SOUTH

The finals are set in both divisions of the sixth tier of English football. Telford's two first-half goals were too much for Nuneaton to come back from and they won 3-2 on aggregate, but the other match in the North was far closer. The Guiseley-Boston match went to extra time after regulation finished 2-1 for Boston (the opening leg was 1-0 for Guiseley), and both teams registered a goal in the extra frame, so they went to penalties, where Guiseley won 3-2.

In the South, Ebbsfleet won 2-1 in what was basically going through the motions, barring Chelmsford winning by three, which just wasn't going to happen. The final aggregate was 6-2, a score I highly doubt they'll repeat, but who knows? Farnborough and Woking also went to extra time after regulation finished with Woking ahead 1-0 (the exact same score by which Farney beat Woking on their turf :P) but a late McDonald goal saw them avoid a shootout.

So this makes the finals Telford vs. Guiseley and Ebbsfleet vs. Farnborough. Dates forthcoming. EDIT: both on Sunday.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:53:32 PM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2011, 04:24:27 AM »
Mini-update from the Conference Premier Playoffs:

If I were Luton's bench boss, I'd be a little anxious after Wimbledon beat the piss out of Fleetwood, 6-1, yesterday. I mean sure, Luton coasted to a 5-1 aggregate win with a 2-1 win over Wrexham a couple days ago, but the aggregate for Wimbledon-Fleetwood was 8-1!

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2011, 02:02:04 PM »
I do like watching the playoffs. Last night its Swansea 0-0 forest. With reading and Cardiff playing tonight :)

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #172 on: May 14, 2011, 04:59:53 AM »
Mini-update from the League Championship:

It seems both matchups started off as snoozefests, although Swansea ought to count themselves fortunate to not have lost after having gone down to ten men ridiculously early. Shots on goal were 9-5 for Nottingham Forest over Swansea, but their Welsh counterparts Cardiff outshot Reading 6-3 in the other match.

Leagues One and Two start their playoffs tomorrow.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2011, 11:36:40 PM »
League 1 playoff

Bournemouth 1-1 hudderfield

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2011, 01:17:32 AM »
Finally some goddamn goals, goddammit! :2funny:

Oh, and Torquay beat Shrewsbury 2-scratch in the opening match of the League Two playoffs.

We have to wait until next Saturday for the Conference Premier playoff final, but lots of playoff action tomorrow:

League One SF - Milton Keynes vs. Peterborough, Leg 1
League Two SF - Stevenage vs. Accrington Stanley
Conf North Final - Telford vs. Guiseley
Conf South Final - Farnsborough vs. Ebbsfleet

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »
MK Dons 3 Peterborough 2
Telford 3 Guiseley 2
Ebbsfleet 4 Farney 2

Stevenage up 2-0 on Accrington Stanley with 17 minutes remaining in regulation.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2011, 12:38:17 AM »
And they won by that score. :P

Also, Swansea is off to Wemberley after a 3-1 victory over Forest. Their opponent will be determined tomorrow (today by 37 minutes in Limeyland :P).

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2011, 05:58:57 AM »
Reading sure made short work of Cardiff! 3-0.

Sked for the next few days:

Tomoz: Huddersfield vs. Bournemouth, Leg 2 (tied 1-1)
Thursday: MK Dons vs. Peterborough, Leg 2 (MK Dons lead 3-2)
Friday (my birthday :P ):
Shrewsbury vs. Torquay, Leg 2 (Torquay leads 2-0)
Accrington Stanley vs. Stevenage, Leg 2 (Stevenage leads 2-0)
Saturday: Wimbledon vs. Luton (Conference Premier Playoff Final)

Also, some projections as to who will be in what Conference half next season (The official list was supposed to be out on the 10th, but nothing has come out yet  ::) )

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Basingstoke Town
Bishop's Stortford
Boreham Wood
Bromley
Chelmsford City
Dartford
Dorchester Town
Dover Athletic
Eastbourne Borough
Eastleigh
Farnborough
Hampton & Richmond Borough
Havant & Waterlooville
Maidenhead United
Salisbury City
Staines Town
Sutton United
Tonbridge Angels
Truro City
Welling United
Weston-super-Mare
Woking

CONFERENCE NORTH

Altrincham
Blyth Spartans
Boston United
Colwyn Bay
Corby Town
Droylsden
Eastwood Town
F.C. Halifax Town
Gainsborough Trinity
Gloucester City
Guiseley
Harrogate Town
Hinckley United
Histon
Hyde
Nuneaton Town
Solihull Moors
Southport
Stalybridge Celtic
Vauxhall Motors
Worcester City
Workington

Since I'm still not entirely versed in the complexities of Conference geographical arrangement, I might have gotten one or two teams wrong here. Histon has played in the South in the past, but someone had to go in the North or else the South would have 23 and the North 21.  :lol:

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #178 on: May 19, 2011, 12:04:40 AM »
Was quite the match between Hudds and Bournemouth. It was 2-2 at full time, and goals literally within a minute of each other made it finish 3-3 and go to penalties, which Huddersfield won 4-2.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2011, 01:26:03 AM »
No penalties for the other League One playoff as Peterborough won 2-0, taking the whole shebang 4-3 on aggregate.

Two League Two second leg matches tomorrow.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!