SpursNetwork

The decline of Spurs!,Are we really going in the right direction?.

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: The decline of Spurs!,Are we really going in the right direction?.
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »
Well done Blackjack, glad you decided to start this thread and have put your points across really well too.

Actually everyone for once seems to be saying very similar points with slights variations of course, so well done everyone. I think the reality of what has happened has sunk in to even the hardiest of Harry haters. Not that we need to get into the Harry debate again, but the evidence for what has happened since is clear for everyone to see.

I felt that sacking Harry at the time was completely crazy, regardless of the England situation, where we were as a side was playing the best football I have seen in my lifetime, with a real belief and renewed passion in my club. At last it looked like we were going places. In fact it wasn't really the sacking that bothered me, so much, it was the way it was done that really gave me a foreboding vision of the future. It demonstrated a lack of respect and appreciation for the manager that really put us on the world map. It also disrespected the fans who did like him and would have wanted him to continue. However, even I let this go, (too easily in my opinion) but I did. I gave the benefit of the doubt and waited with anticipation for our next chapter. Maybe, just maybe, we were going to keep moving onward and upwards and the decision would be proven right.

Now if we had gotten a Mourinho or an Ancelotti, or a Guardiola or the like then it may have worked. If we had a top manager, and replaced modric and VDV, then Bale may have even stayed. But if he did not, then those managers would have brought in the kind of players we needed to move on without him.

I have been calling for Levy to step down for a while now and I think it will only be this action that will give us the chance to move on in the right direction. He is the central cause of all of our problems and needs to step aside, or seriously step back and let those that know, do.

I agree with Blackjack's analysis of the side. I would also throw into the mix the loss of Parker. Yes, he wasn't a big name, big money signing, but we seriously miss his grit, determination and leadership on the pitch. So I would add a CM to the list of players we need. Yes, it will mean losing one of our current bunch, but to build a team, you need team players.

Personally I believe, like many others, that sacking Harry was a massive mistake, whether some of you like it or not, Spurs as a Club were really starting to go somewhere with Harry and his Coaching team at the Helm, I do not, like some, believe that he had taken us as far as he was capable of, had Levy have given him the funds, we would not be in the position that we now find ourselves, cast your minds back, Harry was never given the money to buy quality players, but the players he did buy were quality players, which he bought at bargain prices (VDV 8 Mil, Parker 5.5 Mil, Crouch 9 Mil, Kranjcar 2 Mil, Bassong 8 Mil, Defoe 15.75 Mil to name 6) everyone of them QUALITY PLAYERS bought for a total of 48 million pounds and I do not recall him complaining about it once, apart from when in Jan 2012 when he had to sign two players on free transfers because Levy wouldn't make available funds for him to strengthen the squad, imagine the type of players he would have signed given 100 million pounds to spend, the mind boggles, and I guarantee you this he would get the players now at Spurs playing as a Team, can you imagine Redknapp and Joe Jordan letting them get away with the 2nd half performance that they served up on Sat, because I can't.
       I was always against the appointment of AVB and I was vocal about it, people on here are saying that TS has no experience as a coach but at least he has played at the top level, and has a PL Championship medal to show for it, and more importantly he played for SPURS, AVB NEVER played the game, his experience as a Senior Coach was 1Yr, yes 1 year in Portugal, and 8 mths at Chelsea who fired him, then Levy appoints him at Spurs. What a F-----G JOKE. Quite frankly I do not give a flying F--K that he achieved our highest points tally in the PL last season it got us nothing, nada, zero, in doing it we played some of the most BORING, UNATTRACTIVE and NEGATIVE football I have ever seen SPURS play, and I have been watching Spurs for 60 years.
     Whether you like it or not under Redknapp we would be pushing for the Title instead of a Europa Cup place(which at present looks beyond our reach).

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :( :( :( :( :(

With regards to Redknapp, yes, albeit with hindsight, you are correct. However will we ever be told the truth about what went on during January 2012, with his court case, and the speculation over the England job, and the REAL reason why he was sacked ???
If Levy had any decency, then he owes it to us Spurs fans to be honest and tell us what went wrong then.
But he wont, and he should also be sacked.

But does any top club director tell us what is going on? And even if Levy got the sack would the new man be any more forthcoming? I doubt it. We could sack him and get somebody like the Vincent Tan. Then we would be praying for Levy to come back.

Remember; power and money means arrogance and not kowtowing to the minions; i.e. us. We have our place, paying for the tickets and loyally supporting our club. Beyond that; nothing. Sack Levy and you will get the same.

Surely somebody has to be held to account for the debacle that has occurred ??

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 06:26:19 PM »
Well done Blackjack, glad you decided to start this thread and have put your points across really well too.

Actually everyone for once seems to be saying very similar points with slights variations of course, so well done everyone. I think the reality of what has happened has sunk in to even the hardiest of Harry haters. Not that we need to get into the Harry debate again, but the evidence for what has happened since is clear for everyone to see.

I felt that sacking Harry at the time was completely crazy, regardless of the England situation, where we were as a side was playing the best football I have seen in my lifetime, with a real belief and renewed passion in my club. At last it looked like we were going places. In fact it wasn't really the sacking that bothered me, so much, it was the way it was done that really gave me a foreboding vision of the future. It demonstrated a lack of respect and appreciation for the manager that really put us on the world map. It also disrespected the fans who did like him and would have wanted him to continue. However, even I let this go, (too easily in my opinion) but I did. I gave the benefit of the doubt and waited with anticipation for our next chapter. Maybe, just maybe, we were going to keep moving onward and upwards and the decision would be proven right.

Now if we had gotten a Mourinho or an Ancelotti, or a Guardiola or the like then it may have worked. If we had a top manager, and replaced modric and VDV, then Bale may have even stayed. But if he did not, then those managers would have brought in the kind of players we needed to move on without him.

I have been calling for Levy to step down for a while now and I think it will only be this action that will give us the chance to move on in the right direction. He is the central cause of all of our problems and needs to step aside, or seriously step back and let those that know, do.

I agree with Blackjack's analysis of the side. I would also throw into the mix the loss of Parker. Yes, he wasn't a big name, big money signing, but we seriously miss his grit, determination and leadership on the pitch. So I would add a CM to the list of players we need. Yes, it will mean losing one of our current bunch, but to build a team, you need team players.

Personally I believe, like many others, that sacking Harry was a massive mistake, whether some of you like it or not, Spurs as a Club were really starting to go somewhere with Harry and his Coaching team at the Helm, I do not, like some, believe that he had taken us as far as he was capable of, had Levy have given him the funds, we would not be in the position that we now find ourselves, cast your minds back, Harry was never given the money to buy quality players, but the players he did buy were quality players, which he bought at bargain prices (VDV 8 Mil, Parker 5.5 Mil, Crouch 9 Mil, Kranjcar 2 Mil, Bassong 8 Mil, Defoe 15.75 Mil to name 6) everyone of them QUALITY PLAYERS bought for a total of 48 million pounds and I do not recall him complaining about it once, apart from when in Jan 2012 when he had to sign two players on free transfers because Levy wouldn't make available funds for him to strengthen the squad, imagine the type of players he would have signed given 100 million pounds to spend, the mind boggles, and I guarantee you this he would get the players now at Spurs playing as a Team, can you imagine Redknapp and Joe Jordan letting them get away with the 2nd half performance that they served up on Sat, because I can't.
       I was always against the appointment of AVB and I was vocal about it, people on here are saying that TS has no experience as a coach but at least he has played at the top level, and has a PL Championship medal to show for it, and more importantly he played for SPURS, AVB NEVER played the game, his experience as a Senior Coach was 1Yr, yes 1 year in Portugal, and 8 mths at Chelsea who fired him, then Levy appoints him at Spurs. What a F-----G JOKE. Quite frankly I do not give a flying F--K that he achieved our highest points tally in the PL last season it got us nothing, nada, zero, in doing it we played some of the most BORING, UNATTRACTIVE and NEGATIVE football I have ever seen SPURS play, and I have been watching Spurs for 60 years.
     Whether you like it or not under Redknapp we would be pushing for the Title instead of a Europa Cup place(which at present looks beyond our reach).

With regards to Redknapp, yes, albeit with hindsight, you are correct. However will we ever be told the truth about what went on during January 2012, with his court case, and the speculation over the England job, and the REAL reason why he was sacked ???
If Levy had any decency, then he owes it to us Spurs fans to be honest and tell us what went wrong then.

But does any top club director tell us what is going on? And even if Levy got the sack would the new man be any more forthcoming? I doubt it. We could sack him and get somebody like the Vincent Tan. Then we would be praying for Levy to come back.

Remember; power and money means arrogance and not kowtowing to the minions; i.e. us. We have our place, paying for the tickets and loyally supporting our club. Beyond that; nothing. Sack Levy and you will get the same.

You would think. However, the same was said about Stalin, Hitler etc. But it never made a difference :up:
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »

You would think. However, the same was said about Stalin, Hitler etc. But it never made a difference :up:

WTF no comparison to what is going on at our club FFS!

We know who will be held accountable and he has set himself up nicely, TS but to be honest he isnt the man for us at this stage so no great loss, to be honest I would go as far as to say we are in turmoil as a club both on and off the pitch!

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »

WTF no comparison to what is going on at our club FFS!

We know who will be held accountable and he has set himself up nicely, TS but to be honest he isnt the man for us at this stage so no great loss, to be honest I would go as far as to say we are in turmoil as a club both on and off the pitch!

Of course there is no comparison; it was said tongue-in-cheek. However, I do agree that we are in a turmoil. So much hopes at the beginning of the season and now.........!
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 07:06:42 AM »
Thats the shocker when the season started we were on a high with all the new signing and their hoped for impact, we started well with best defensive record in the top flight leagues in Europe, results were being ground out but many of us had concerns as to how we were playing but this was attributed to a settling down period or so we hoped.

Now we are in a mire, a manager who is all but gone just playing out the season and most players who couldnt give a toss about our club and are no doubt concentrating on who their agents are lining up for them to play for next season!

TBH Europa cup would be a sweetner and I have now changed my view that the more game time our players get to together the better, top 4 is over so lets switch priorities to see if we can win the Europa this season and give us battered supporters something to smile about at least for a few minutes!

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 07:54:32 AM »
 Quote from Voice,   

"Of course there is no comparison; it was said tongue-in-cheek. However, I do agree that we are in a turmoil. So much hopes at the beginning of the season and now.........!"

I am glad you find the predicament that Spurs find themselves in comical Voice, maybe, because in your mind this somehow makes you right regarding the sacking of your hero AVB (who should, imo and many others who contribute to this forum, never have been appointed in the first place), there-in lies the problem, for someone who purports to be a passionate supporter, your comments are somewhat distasteful, and I am sure that I am not the only one who thinks this.!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:(

:SN:[font

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 08:14:34 AM »
     Metal,
             Pray tell me how this is Sherwood's fault, unfortunately he had no way of controlling the pathetic attitude of the players, after we conceded the dubious penalty and resultant sending off of Kaboul, I was a little surprised at the team selected, but at half-time I thought that the team looked too really be in the game, and then, well, we all know what happened. Yes he is inexperienced, and has made some mistakes but haven't we all at sometime made mistakes, I know I have, the secret is too learn from them, just give the guy a chance, to change the coach again would,  imo, be pretty bloody STUPID, and a further step backwards.
            We are all pissed off at they way the season has panned out, but as I said "Give TS a chance".

:nods: :nods: :nods:

Offline RSS61

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 09:01:16 AM »
Thats the shocker when the season started we were on a high with all the new signing and their hoped for impact, we started well with best defensive record in the top flight leagues in Europe, results were being ground out but many of us had concerns as to how we were playing but this was attributed to a settling down period or so we hoped.

Now we are in a mire, a manager who is all but gone just playing out the season and most players who couldnt give a toss about our club and are no doubt concentrating on who their agents are lining up for them to play for next season!

TBH Europa cup would be a sweetner and I have now changed my view that the more game time our players get to together the better, top 4 is over so lets switch priorities to see if we can win the Europa this season and give us battered supporters something to smile about at least for a few minutes!

Unfortunately Metal, I think that our chances of winning the EL are about as good as finishing top 4.
I dont even think we will get past Benfica, though I hope I'm wrong

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »
Quote from Voice,   

"Of course there is no comparison; it was said tongue-in-cheek. However, I do agree that we are in a turmoil. So much hopes at the beginning of the season and now.........!"

I am glad you find the predicament that Spurs find themselves in comical Voice, maybe, because in your mind this somehow makes you right regarding the sacking of your hero AVB (who should, imo and many others who contribute to this forum, never have been appointed in the first place), there-in lies the problem, for someone who purports to be a passionate supporter, your comments are somewhat distasteful, and I am sure that I am not the only one who thinks this.!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:(

I didn't say it was (our position) "comical" nor do I think it is. I just said the comment I made was tongue in cheek.

My comments are only "distasteful" because you don't like me. Nothing to do with what I've said.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »
     Metal,
             Pray tell me how this is Sherwood's fault, unfortunately he had no way of controlling the pathetic attitude of the players, after we conceded the dubious penalty and resultant sending off of Kaboul, I was a little surprised at the team selected, but at half-time I thought that the team looked too really be in the game, and then, well, we all know what happened. Yes he is inexperienced, and has made some mistakes but haven't we all at sometime made mistakes, I know I have, the secret is too learn from them, just give the guy a chance, to change the coach again would,  imo, be pretty bloody STUPID, and a further step backwards.
            We are all pissed off at they way the season has panned out, but as I said "Give TS a chance".

Paul F,

I havent said this whole mess is the fault of TS, TBH he is not the man for Spurs for where we want to be and what currently needs to be done plain and simple, he clearly is not the man capable of managing and motivating the players we have at the moment let along bigger characters. 

As I have stated previously the common factor in all of our downward spirals is Levy that is where fault lies.  TS is in a short term role as Levy intended for the remainder of the season and will take the fall for our failings.

I actually believe with 10 years or so under his belt TS will be a cracking manager, he has passion and pride very straight talking and wears his heart on his sleeve but he also has a lot to learn regarding management and THFC is not the place for him to learn IMO for so many reasons. 

He will be replaced at the end of the season I am certain but not before, if not at the end of the end of the season then maybe Levy will back him and make the required signings TS wants but I cant see him staying or Levy backing him and TBH if he does stay we are in for an even worse season 14-15 i fear.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 07:17:53 PM »
     Metal,

Paul F,

I havent said this whole mess is the fault of TS, TBH he is not the man for Spurs for where we want to be and what currently needs to be done plain and simple, he clearly is not the man capable of managing and motivating the players we have at the moment let along bigger characters. 

As I have stated previously the common factor in all of our downward spirals is Levy that is where fault lies.  TS is in a short term role as Levy intended for the remainder of the season and will take the fall for our failings.

I actually believe with 10 years or so under his belt TS will be a cracking manager, he has passion and pride very straight talking and wears his heart on his sleeve but he also has a lot to learn regarding management and THFC is not the place for him to learn IMO for so many reasons. 

He will be replaced at the end of the season I am certain but not before, if not at the end of the end of the season then maybe Levy will back him and make the required signings TS wants but I cant see him staying or Levy backing him and TBH if he does stay we are in for an even worse season 14-15 i fear.

According to reports coming out of Spurs they still have faith in Sherwood and he will be still here next season. Some official from Spurs reminded us that Sherwood's contract is for next season as well. But that doesn't really mean anything.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 06:21:39 AM »
Quote from Voice,
    "My comments are only "distasteful" because you don't like me. Nothing to do with what I've said."

Yes Voice you are quite correct I do not like you, I find you to be not only an arrogant and ignorant little man, but also someone who thinks he knows-it-all, but in fact knows the same as the rest of us, I have never suffered fools gladly and I am far too long in the tooth to start doing so now.

:nods: :nods: :nods: :nods: :nods:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:26:51 AM by Paul Finch »

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 07:45:15 AM »
Hey chaps keep calm and prosper :up: , this is a Spurs forum not a world war slagging off match!, this is exactly why Biggs left!, we are all intitled to our opininion but we should think very carefully before we type!, I know you want to get your points across but doing so by pointing the finger at inderviduals on this forum is only provoking a reaction back and so soon becomes nothing to do with the subject in question! but personal attack after personal attack!, so please lets keep this about the one thing we all love Tottenham Hotspur football club. :) :up: .

P.S my name in a previous life was Wyatt Earp!!! :D :D :grin: :grin: :dance: :dance: :dance: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:48:06 AM by Blackjack »
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 09:05:28 AM »
Hey chaps keep calm and prosper :up: , this is a Spurs forum not a world war slagging off match!, this is exactly why Biggs left!, we are all intitled to our opininion but we should think very carefully before we type!, I know you want to get your points across but doing so by pointing the finger at inderviduals on this forum is only provoking a reaction back and so soon becomes nothing to do with the subject in question! but personal attack after personal attack!, so please lets keep this about the one thing we all love Tottenham Hotspur football club. :) :up: .

P.S my name in a previous life was Wyatt Earp!!! :D :D :grin: :grin: :dance: :dance: :dance: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

And it totally kills the thread! and this one to be fair is bloody good, or was !

Offline RSS61

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 12:33:15 PM »

Actually, it did. Hitler committed suicide !!