SpursNetwork

Fabiano

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
Re: Fabiano
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2010, 11:31:44 PM »
well then that's just peachy..... hope Citeh dont attempt a cock-block at the last moment, as I strongly feel they might....

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2010, 11:33:42 PM »
Always looking on the bright side... Citeh don't have the possibility of Champions League  !!
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2010, 11:44:05 PM »
Fabbo will not be partaking in CL for Spurs this season :-

1712: Ross Grindlay has posed an interesting question and I've spent a few minutes researching the answer. He asks: "I was under the impression that under CL rules Luis Fabiano would be able to play for Tottenham should Spurs qualify as new rules state that you can only be cup tied from the CL proper and not (qualifying stages). Can anyone clarify this?" Ross, it looks like Luis Fabiano will not be able to play for Spurs this season according to UEFA rules which state: "As a rule, a player may not play in a UEFA club competition (ie UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, but not UEFA Super Cup) for more than one club in the course of the same season. Exceptionally, however, a player who has been fielded in the first, second or third qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to play in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League for another club as from the group stage, provided that his former club did not qualify for the group phase of either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa League." But as we're at the play-off stage, and not the qualifiers, the exception in this case is irrelevant. Hope that clears it up.

Spoprting Life Live Forum 24/8

the play-off stage is classed as CL proper, and distinct from the pre-CL stage of the 'qualifiers'....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:47:44 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline AuburnSpur

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2010, 11:58:49 PM »
Fabbo will not be partaking in CL for Spurs this season :-

1712: Ross Grindlay has posed an interesting question and I've spent a few minutes researching the answer. He asks: "I was under the impression that under CL rules Luis Fabiano would be able to play for Tottenham should Spurs qualify as new rules state that you can only be cup tied from the CL proper and not (qualifying stages). Can anyone clarify this?" Ross, it looks like Luis Fabiano will not be able to play for Spurs this season according to UEFA rules which state: "As a rule, a player may not play in a UEFA club competition (ie UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, but not UEFA Super Cup) for more than one club in the course of the same season. Exceptionally, however, a player who has been fielded in the first, second or third qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to play in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League for another club as from the group stage, provided that his former club did not qualify for the group phase of either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa League." But as we're at the play-off stage, and not the qualifiers, the exception in this case is irrelevant. Hope that clears it up.

Spoprting Life Live Forum 24/8

the play-off stage is classed as CL proper, and distinct from the pre-CL stage of the 'qualifiers'....

That doesn't seem definitive, as it makes a jump from "first, second or third qualifying round" to "did not qualify for the group phase."  It skips over the playoff round, but leaves as the final note "did not qualify for group staege," not "CL Proper."

Offline Aosoth

• Hero: Gary Mabutt
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2010, 12:12:30 AM »
I won't buy it til I hear otherwise from a more reputable source than a betting forum tbh.

The first round proper of the Champions League is the group stage and as everyone has been at great pains to point out since the end of last season "Spurs still have to qualify".  Note also that current squads have been comprised of qualification squads submitted to Uefa, CL Proper squads didn't go in prior to qualifying, they go in prior to group stages.

We will see I guess, either way it'd be nice if Uefa made their policies clear  >:(
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2010, 12:14:36 AM »
it can seem ambiguous I admit, but I think that the 'qualifiers' are seen as a separate competition, and the playoffs as CL proper..... taking it literally, it appears that players in 'qualifiers' cannot play in 'playoffs' but may be considered for the 'group-stages' of CL following said playoffs....

he wont be playing 'in Europe' again this season..

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2010, 06:07:55 PM »
They do play the Champions League tune before the qualifiers though so maybe thats a clue. Just trying to be helpfull :-[

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2010, 09:48:12 PM »
10m minimum from CL for getting into group-stages, 5m from 4 home games (incl. tonight's)...... think that just paid for Fabiano at 15m....

2moro morning, go get him Levy.... time to reel him in..

bye Keano and Pav.... hello Luis and Cameron....

Offline AuburnSpur

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2010, 09:52:40 PM »
10m minimum from CL for getting into group-stages, 5m from 4 home games (incl. tonight's)...... think that just paid for Fabiano at 15m....

2moro morning, go get him Levy.... time to reel him in..

bye Keano and Pav.... hello Luis and Cameron....

Here's the full text of the UEFA rule:

18.07 As a rule, a player may not play in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA
Champions League and UEFA Europa League, but not UEFA Super Cup) for
more than one club in the course of  the same season. Exceptionally,
however, a player who has been fielded in the first, second or third qualifying
round of the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to
play in the UEFA Champions League  or UEFA Europa League for another
club as from the group stage, provided that his former club did not qualify for 
the group phase of  either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa
League; moreover, as from the start of the round of 16 (round of 32 for UEFA
Europa League), a player can be registered in accordance with paragraphs
18.17 to 18.20 below. For the avoidance of doubt, a substitute player who
has not been fielded is entitled to play for another club competing in the
UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League in the course of the
same season, provided that he is registered with the UEFA administration in
accordance with the present regulations.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2010, 09:58:26 PM »
Rounds 1,2 and 3 of 'qualifiers'....., then CL 'play-off' round.... then CL group-stage...

Fabbo played for Sevilla in their very own 'playoff' round.....

he will therefore not be playing in CL or Europa League again this season.

Offline AuburnSpur

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2010, 10:21:17 PM »
Rounds 1,2 and 3 of 'qualifiers'....., then CL 'play-off' round.... then CL group-stage...

Fabbo played for Sevilla in their very own 'playoff' round.....

he will therefore not be playing in CL or Europa League again this season.

But the next line says a player can play "from the group stage" as long as his team didn't qualify for the group stage.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2010, 10:27:42 PM »
to summarise :-

anyone playing at the 'playoff' round will not be eligible to play in the 'group-stage' which follows..

qualifiers = not CL proper

playoff round for entry to group-stage  = CL proper...... albeit before the group-stage.

he aint playing CL/EL again this season, deal with it..

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
  • Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2010, 10:55:15 PM »
don't be so sure  :up:
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline AuburnSpur

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2010, 11:32:05 PM »
to summarise :-

anyone playing at the 'playoff' round will not be eligible to play in the 'group-stage' which follows..

qualifiers = not CL proper

playoff round for entry to group-stage  = CL proper...... albeit before the group-stage.

he aint playing CL/EL again this season, deal with it..

That may end up being the case, but the applicable rule doesn't state that.  It makes no reference to "CL Proper."  In fact, your interpretation requires more of a stretch than the interpretation that he CAN play CL.

Let's just hope the discussion actually ends up mattering.

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2010, 12:04:55 PM »
Just on Sky Sports News... Spurs Enquire about Fabiano  :dance:

Also Fabiano IS cup tied... just said it on Sky sports news.

Sevilla want around 25m for him harry said " looks like this deal isn't a goer "
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:11:39 PM by Biggs »