SpursNetwork

The decline of Spurs!,Are we really going in the right direction?.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: The decline of Spurs!,Are we really going in the right direction?.
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2014, 11:04:58 PM »
Giving Sherwood a chance sounds fair enough provided that he does finish the season well and a few people here doubt that he will.

So I will agree that, should this season end reasonably well ie: 5th under the present trend would be the best we could expect.  He would have my vote to carry on as our manager next season. Anything lower would be a failure in my book. Besides,  I cannot see Levy point in giving him the job if we end up 6th or lower.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2014, 04:54:04 AM »
Giving Sherwood a chance sounds fair enough provided that he does finish the season well and a few people here doubt that he will.

So I will agree that, should this season end reasonably well ie: 5th under the present trend would be the best we could expect.  He would have my vote to carry on as our manager next season. Anything lower would be a failure in my book. Besides,  I cannot see Levy point in giving him the job if we end up 6th or lower.

If anyone thinks we are going to finish any higher than 6th I am afraid they are dreaming (and to blame TS for that would be a travesty of justice), so obviously Joolz in your opinion Sherwood should be sacked, no-one can blame TS for this seasons debacle, the blame must lay fairly and squarely on Levy and AVB's shoulders. We need stability within the coaching ranks, otherwise this trend we will continue. Give TS a minimum of Two, yes 2 years, to get the team that HE wants and to get them playing the way that HE wants them to play, he is Spurs through and through and he is English, I do not subscribe to the theory that to be successful we have to have a continental coach, very nearly every foreign coach that we have had in recent times, has been a disaster!  >:( >:(

Just my opinion. :nods: :nods:
:SN:[font

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2014, 05:40:42 AM »

If anyone thinks we are going to finish any higher than 6th I am afraid they are dreaming (and to blame TS for that would be a travesty of justice), so obviously Joolz in your opinion Sherwood should be sacked, no-one can blame TS for this seasons debacle, the blame must lay fairly and squarely on Levy and AVB's shoulders. We need stability within the coaching ranks, otherwise this trend we will continue. Give TS a minimum of Two, yes 2 years, to get the team that HE wants and to get them playing the way that HE wants them to play, he is Spurs through and through and he is English, I do not subscribe to the theory that to be successful we have to have a continental coach, very nearly every foreign coach that we have had in recent times, has been a disaster!  >:( >:(

Just my opinion. :nods: :nods:

Agreed, I think 6th is probably the highest we can realistically expect to hold on to. Everton are looking stronger and stronger and the only reason we aren't lower in the league is because beyond everyone's expectations Man U are performing worse than we all hoped for.

The saddest thing is that this was the year to make a sustained and meaningful attack on the top four. With Fergie leaving, they were going to take time to transition. Liverpool did what we should have been doing and look at them now!

I am happy to give Sherwood another season at least to see what he can do. But I really wish that our club were more honest and up front about their intentions and decisions. I think that to give him that fair chance he should be allowed to spend 35 million on any one player and any other changes need to be made by selling first.   If that means he has to sell 3 players to buy another good one and then get the rest through loan deals or buying the younger or older players then so be it.
Maybe next year...

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2014, 10:39:33 AM »
The last post is spot on, let Tim get the team he wants then judge him, he has the passion we need, and if he can get that same stuff into his players we will be ok, let's not moan and blame Tim, and yes we will be lucky to get 5th, realisticly 6th but let's not forget MU are not to far behind so even 7th may have to do if we slip up too many more times, you may not want to here this but its fact!,. Should we get a new manager for the new season we may find ourselves in the exact same situation this time next season!, I keep saying it but thete is no quick fix here!, we have no leader, we have no Lampard,Gerrard in our team to galvernise the team, we have no defence unit that understands how to work together, we have no balance on the flanks going forward, the midfield and strikers don't work well enough together, the midield don't know how to anticipate the runs of the strikers!, the strikers are starved of service and support so all rhis taken into consideration there is no way all this can be fixed quickly, we always here new managers spend weeks accessing there new team but this only makes the start of the new season a waist , the changes must be put in place well before the new season starts.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »
The last post is spot on, let Tim get the team he wants then judge him, he has the passion we need, and if he can get that same stuff into his players we will be ok, let's not moan and blame Tim, and yes we will be lucky to get 5th, realisticly 6th but let's not forget MU are not to far behind so even 7th may have to do if we slip up too many more times, you may not want to here this but its fact!,. Should we get a new manager for the new season we may find ourselves in the exact same situation this time next season!, I keep saying it but thete is no quick fix here!, we have no leader, we have no Lampard,Gerrard in our team to galvernise the team, we have no defence unit that understands how to work together, we have no balance on the flanks going forward, the midfield and strikers don't work well enough together, the midield don't know how to anticipate the runs of the strikers!, the strikers are starved of service and support so all rhis taken into consideration there is no way all this can be fixed quickly, we always here new managers spend weeks accessing there new team but this only makes the start of the new season a waist , the changes must be put in place well before the new season starts.

Agreed

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2014, 04:17:50 PM »
I liked sherwood as a player and having met him briefly i liked him as a person but i`m afraid as a manager he`s just not experienced enough . We need an experienced , astute manager who can handle levy as well as the pressure that the EPL brings .Sherwood may have the confidence and self belief but i`m afriad he had been out thought far too often tactically for my liking .The likes of wenger , mourhinio and probably rodgers on sunday turn him inside out on tactics .He isn`t to blame for whats happened this season as he was dropped in the s**t by levy when he pressed the panic button and sacked AVB .As ive said already , changing the manager isn`t the answer .Ridding our beloved club of the interfering , dictatorial menace that is daniel levy IS the answer :tickedoff:
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2014, 06:25:39 PM »
Its great to see so many backing TS and giving him the vote of confidence, but does anyone really expect him to be  here next season I just cant see it, in all honesty I think another manager is already a done deal for after the world cup.

Whilst there are many aspects about TS I am not keen on what I do like is his passion for our club and open honesty (although not always best delivered to the media), if only that could be combined with some more experience and tactical genius/awareness I would punt for him to get a contract for a couple of years. 

The end to our season will be very interesting as to how we finish are things coming together etc, is their hope for next season if we dont buy etc.

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Blackjack

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »
I liked sherwood as a player and having met him briefly i liked him as a person but i`m afraid as a manager he`s just not experienced enough . We need an experienced , astute manager who can handle levy as well as the pressure that the EPL brings .Sherwood may have the confidence and self belief but i`m afriad he had been out thought far too often tactically for my liking .The likes of wenger , mourhinio and probably rodgers on sunday turn him inside out on tactics .He isn`t to blame for whats happened this season as he was dropped in the s**t by levy when he pressed the panic button and sacked AVB .As ive said already , changing the manager isn`t the answer .Ridding our beloved club of the interfering , dictatorial menace that is daniel levy IS the answer :tickedoff:

I dont think theres a manager on this planet that can influence Levys dicision making!, its his way or the high way and out the door you go!. this is why its going to be extremly difficult ever finding a suiter to truely get the best out of a Spurs team.
SPURS TILL I DIE

Offline RSS61

« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2014, 07:57:51 AM »

I dont think theres a manager on this planet that can influence Levys dicision making!, its his way or the high way and out the door you go!. this is why its going to be extremly difficult ever finding a suiter to truely get the best out of a Spurs team.

I think you're right there. Even Harry, with all his experience, only ever got the players he wanted when it suited Levy. I still remember, when we were pushing for 4th again, Harry in the January window wanted a striker and CB. What did he get ? Saha and Nelson. Can anyone imagine Mourinho, Wenger or Rogers putting up with that ? If Tim can engineer 18 points from the last 7 games ( 6 wins excluding Liverpool) then we would have 74 points, another prem record for us, and his case to continue would be overwhelming. And is there any reason why we shouldn't win the last 6 ?? Sunderland WBA Fulham Stoke West Ham Aston Villa.

Offline Blackjack

« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2014, 05:24:07 PM »
To be honest guys I think we are going to see another record 4th place total this year!, so even if we do win 6/7 games and got 74 points I believe this might not still be enough!. :'(
It just goed to show you how high the quality of the players now are in the premiership!, nothing less than world class will cut it anymore!, if over the next few seasons this continues then it will be near impossible to break into a top 4 finish as a very low overall loss count will be required and to guarantee that a team will need a chairmen with very very big pockets indeed!.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:27:54 PM by Blackjack »
SPURS TILL I DIE

Offline dimexi

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »
Martinez and Everton look the real deal this season. Not spent loads of money, but make good decisions. Maybe we should have trusted what Dave Whelan was saying about him, rather than go for the Portuguese non-wonder kid! Just saying.
Maybe next year...

Offline Blackjack

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2014, 08:25:53 PM »
Shocking, shambles, rubbish call it as it is, Spurs are mediodre now at best and most definatley going backwards!, get rid of the entire back four as they just can not work together!, I think things are only going to get worse! no where near good enough as the teams above us!, I now think this is one of the worst Spurs sides I can remember...clueless and taking the piss out of the manager and fans!!!.
SPURS TILL I DIE

Offline RSS61

« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2014, 08:00:38 AM »
Shocking, shambles, rubbish call it as it is, Spurs are mediodre now at best and most definatley going backwards!, get rid of the entire back four as they just can not work together!, I think things are only going to get worse! no where near good enough as the teams above us!, I now think this is one of the worst Spurs sides I can remember...clueless and taking the piss out of the manager and fans!!!.

I think that it is becoming clearer and clearer, week by week that the overriding problem at our club is Levy.

When is he ever going to make the right decision for the club ? As far as I can see the one and only right thing he has ever done was appointing Harry. And he undid that one !!

Judging by Sherwoods demeanor, and comments of late, he is next for the chop. And then what ? Bring in a new manager, to do what ?? We make schoolboy errors every single game, no matter who the opposition are. How can that be cured ?? Answer, get rid of the vast majority of the team and start again. Write off another 2 or 3 years.

Quite frankly, the only players we have who are good enough, or can even be bothered are Lloris Eriksen and Chadli. What a mess !!!

Offline dimexi

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2014, 08:49:46 AM »
When Harry took over the club was in a mess and we looked like we were going nowhere. He sorted out the mess we were in pretty quickly, recognizing the areas that needed improving,  and got the best from what was already there. He did this in less than a season and the following year we were up at the right end of the table and looked like we were going places.

However to do this he bought Palacios and Cudincini and brought back Defoe, Keane and Chimbonda. For about 30 million. In the summer he added Crouch, Krancjar and Bassong for about 20 million. That is 8 players in less than a year, for just under 50 Million.

With this information in mind I am left wondering the following things:

- How come Harry could buy in 8 new players and create a team that ended up in 4th? Yet we are saying that AVB/Baldini/Levy were wrong to buy 7 new players and expect them to play well. Whose to really blame for this oversight?

- If we got the right man are we being too negative to think that we couldn't be back and challenging by this time next year?

- None of these players were world class players (even though we craved one or two) but they were still able to challenge the top 4. So why can't these players who cost considerably more and were rated more highly at the time of purchase?

- I think there are too many people who failed to appreciate what an amazing job Harry did. (Particularly Levy)

- If this was the squad Harry took over in 2008, what would be the first thing he would do?

- I am beginning to think that that TS may also have to go, but only if Levy goes as well. I think we need a completely clean slate, starting right from the top and filtering down. (sorry Tim, not your fault, but the hammerings have not helped your cause)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:52:10 AM by dimexi »
Maybe next year...

Offline taimedowne

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2014, 09:23:06 AM »
The majority of the players you mentioned had Premier League experience. Some had even played for Spurs before. None of the 7 we brought in this year had that and most have failed to adapt. They may improve but even if they don't we may well be stuck with them. Who is going to pay us £27 Million for Soldado ? We'd be lucky to get £10 mill at the moment and Levy is not going to take that.