SpursNetwork

The decline of Spurs!,Are we really going in the right direction?.

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
Re: The decline of Spurs!,Are we really going in the right direction?.
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2014, 04:23:28 PM »
I dont think even Van Gaal can stop this sinking ship! not unless he has Ronaldo, Messi, Higuuien, and a lot more secretly line up!,! its not a question of steading the ship as lets face it we dont have a good enough squad to start with!, so where is this magic wand of his going to turn this pile of losers around!.
I hate slagging off my beloved Spurs but the decline from 2 years ago is mind blowing! :tickedoff: , I still cant get my head round it!, its like one minit we where dreaming of challenging for the tittle then waking up after a night on the town to find us in the championship!, that is how I see it! :-[ .  After watching the young lads play Benfica last night even  in our yourth team there does not appear to be hot prospects coming through who we can nurture into world class players!, its a really worrying time now and as many have said already we just want the season to end!, take 5th spot as damaged limitations! but even that now is going to be dog fight!!. If we are to change then lets start with a solid back four!, do away with this holding of the line at the half way as we are so vunrable on the counter its shocking!, as for the midfield on paper it looks quite decent but paper lies!, Lennon has lost a yard of space time to ship him out!, Pauhlino is Brazillian but Im yet to be convinced he is the creme of the crop!, Dembelle ok and has some drive I can live with him!, Capouue very basic im shore we can do better, get shot of him!, Siggurssen was ok last season but has been lacking this year, a goal threat but not really a winger!, if we are to keep him play him central!, Erriksen is the one shining light of the new boyes!, he could be the next Modric with the right manager and team around him! he stays. Townsend is coming of age and our best natural winger we have so he is a keep but need to be told to stay out wide!, he is no Bale, Adebayor has come in and worked his socks off, chipped in with the goals so his is  stone wall keeper!, Soldado has been very dissappointing!, his record else where is brilliant but over here his head does not seem with it! he in my opinion needs to shape up or bugger off! there is no place in football for his complaicency! if he is trying he has to do much much more! simply not good enough!, Harry Kane! scores goals in the reserves but has never been given a long run in the team! this I think needs to change, if he can make the step up then great we have found a gem! but personaly I dont think he will, I cant fault his work rate from what Ive seen of him! he is at least a tryer! so we give him the benefit of the doubt :up: , As for Lloris well he is amazing at shot stopping pulling of some super save but his ball kicking is horendous!, and he is very Bruce grobbalar gun ho which needs addressing quickly!, he comes out way way to far from his goal line and ofton makes mistakes!, his catching can be dodgy as well so he needs toning down!, whats left after all of them well quite frankly not alot and this  is where we lack behind the other teams! yes we have a big squad! but not a great one! where is the Lampard to come of the bench!, where is the Defoe!, nothing there is nothing to frighten even a 5 year old so how do we expect to change tight or losing games into wins?.. I could go on and on but I wont! all I ask is for someone to get the team back to the basic rules of football, no flying in tackles! no wondering!, no blaming others, just play football the way its supposed to be played!, think like a team, act like a team, and play like a team!.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »
Another key point is how the current top 4 are really pulling away from the rest by way of quality, scoring goals  and picking up points.

In recent years 70 points would secure 4th, last season we had a record points haul of 72 and finished 5th behind the goons in 4th on 73. 

I think this season the points will again be higher for 4th place, currently the goons sit in 4th on 62 points with 8 games left so a real chance the tally will be higher than 73 for 4th!

If you look at performances of the current top 4 clubs this season they have almost been in a league of their own with some cracking performances and massive score lines (a few against us).

We are now seen I feel as making up the best of the rest, fighting it out for Europa slots and I would expect this for the next few seasons as we go through a transitional stage once more, unless a miracle happens.  Man U are in the same boat but unlike us they still have their team that only last season won the league, they just have the management transition period so next season they could be challenging for top 4 who knows! 

Dam I mean they signed Mata in their current non challenging campaign so that must tell all something.

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2014, 03:04:16 AM »
Well its about time they showed some balls :o  far to many times we have keeled over! this was a great result in the end and hopefully will have installed some belief into themselves! :) . I am still not happy with the amount of errors we a giving away in our defence!, it seems a certainty now that one of the back 4 is going to have a bad day in every game!, we cant keep this up, it really is not good enough, Im sick to death of the manager coming out and saying " he we learn from it!!!! >:( , they should already know!, all of them have played long enough to know the basics of football, we shoot ourselves in the foot every week and its not good enough!!!! :( .. I think if anything this is where the manager needs to change things in the summer!, or do away with this stupid high line!, it is foolish and pointless!, this only works if you have a midfield closing down the opposition every second, so they dont have time to play a ball over the top or through the gaps!, Spurs dont play that way so we are wide open and when other teams, the better quality players of like Liverpool next week, we will get sevealy punnished!. Our back four are not on the same wave length!, to many times Naughton, Rose Kaboul, Vertonghan burst forward and while another defender has the ball in our half, they try to do a maradonna, with fancy flicks or turns get caught in possession, lose the ball and we are left defenceless as our cover are up the other end of the pitch!, Rose and Naughton are having to act as wingers as Lennon, Townsend, go inside so when they lose the ball high up the pitch a simple ball over the top out to the flanks sends our opponents clean through and so our center backs have to come across leaving the middle open and we get caught out time and time again!. I am not a manager but it is as clear as day what is happening and it cant go on!, our defence is useless!, we got away with it today but that was against Southampton! , we are not going to be so lucky against the top 4!.
Erikksen was amazing today, he is showing the quality we know he has, the more he plays the better, Siggursson was good playing in his preferred role of central, he is much more effective there!, Still dont think Bentaleb is goo enough! we need another Erriksen in there!, we also need to find a way to support the wingers when going forward, when we do get wide the players look isolated, theres no runners bombing passed them for the one twos.

I have quoted Blackjack from another thread because he raised some points that were on my mind during the game yesterday. Living in China has meant I haven’t seen as many full matches as I would like, so much better than watching highlights to get a full picture of where the team is at at the moment. (better still live of course) So after the first 30 minutes I was actually laughing (nervously I think) the way we were playing was school boy level. As blackjack pointed out the tactic from the Saints was simple. Get possession, and then play a diagonal ball to the flanks where there was about a acre of space. Players run on to the ball, beating the non-existent offside trap with ease and then put the ball in the back of the net. Our players were all over the place, out of position and lacking cohesion.

Naughton has never impressed me and I don’t think he even has the quality to be a squad player at the level we require. He must be shipped out. Rose just runs quickly but doesn’t have the skill on the ball. He gets turned and loses track of where the ball and the other players around him are. Good enough for cover, but not a first team player for me.  I would rather play kaboul and vertonghen out on the flanks and then put Dawson and Chiriches (once he came back)  in the centre until the end of the season. They would surely give us a more solid defense than what we currently have. Except that would leave us exposed to more injury concerns, as we don’t have the CB cover we need, so probably not the solution.

If we are going to play players like Naughton and Rose and our wingers are going to come inside most of the time, then we should be playing them as wingbacks and play 5 across the back. Then when they dart forward (and lose the ball) the 3 CB can cover either flank leaving 2 in the middle. I know this system isn't played very much anymore, but looking at the players we have and the lack of our preferred and traditional 442 it seems the logical thing to do. It may be worth trying out at least.

The other thing that concerns me is our lack of awareness of who is where on the pitch. Not to get into the Harry debate again, but a couple of years ago our passing was fast; the players moved the ball around, from front to back, left to right. Everyone knew where to put the ball and where to move to after they played it. Yesterday, it was none of those things. Even after we improved and got back into the game, I never felt we were a real threat. When the ball did move out wide, the ball was crossed to an area where there weren’t any players there. They didn’t look up, they were not playing a cross, they were just hitting an area and hoping someone would be there. Granted, sometimes it went to the very place a player should be attacking, but it all seemed hit and hope for me. The look on Soldado’s face when the cross whizzed past him, said it all. He may not have had a great season, but with service like that, what chance does he have. Give him the ball in the right places and we would see a completely different player next season.

However, I think Sherwood made some positive changes and that was credit to him. But I agree we need to change our defensive mindset next year. If Sherwood is the man in charge next year, then I think he really needs to set out his game plan from the start. Get the players which can play the style he believes in and maybe we could improve. But I am very worried that Levy will find some way to screw it up again, even if it starts getting better. Levy has made too many mistakes and never once apologized for them even that would go some way to repair the relationship with the fans. But for him, it is always somebody else’s fault.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:13:53 AM by dimexi »
Maybe next year...

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2014, 08:26:49 AM »
I dont think even Van Gaal can stop this sinking ship! not unless he has Ronaldo, Messi, Higuuien, and a lot more secretly line up!,! its not a question of steading the ship as lets face it we dont have a good enough squad to start with!, so where is this magic wand of his going to turn this pile of losers around!.
I hate slagging off my beloved Spurs but the decline from 2 years ago is mind blowing! :tickedoff: , I still cant get my head round it!, its like one minit we where dreaming of challenging for the tittle then waking up after a night on the town to find us in the championship!, that is how I see it! :-[ .  After watching the young lads play Benfica last night even  in our yourth team there does not appear to be hot prospects coming through who we can nurture into world class players!, its a really worrying time now and as many have said already we just want the season to end!, take 5th spot as damaged limitations! but even that now is going to be dog fight!!. If we are to change then lets start with a solid back four!, do away with this holding of the line at the half way as we are so vunrable on the counter its shocking!, as for the midfield on paper it looks quite decent but paper lies!, Lennon has lost a yard of space time to ship him out!, Pauhlino is Brazillian but Im yet to be convinced he is the creme of the crop!, Dembelle ok and has some drive I can live with him!, Capouue very basic im shore we can do better, get shot of him!, Siggurssen was ok last season but has been lacking this year, a goal threat but not really a winger!, if we are to keep him play him central!, Erriksen is the one shining light of the new boyes!, he could be the next Modric with the right manager and team around him! he stays. Townsend is coming of age and our best natural winger we have so he is a keep but need to be told to stay out wide!, he is no Bale, Adebayor has come in and worked his socks off, chipped in with the goals so his is  stone wall keeper!, Soldado has been very dissappointing!, his record else where is brilliant but over here his head does not seem with it! he in my opinion needs to shape up or bugger off! there is no place in football for his complaicency! if he is trying he has to do much much more! simply not good enough!, Harry Kane! scores goals in the reserves but has never been given a long run in the team! this I think needs to change, if he can make the step up then great we have found a gem! but personaly I dont think he will, I cant fault his work rate from what Ive seen of him! he is at least a tryer! so we give him the benefit of the doubt :up: , As for Lloris well he is amazing at shot stopping pulling of some super save but his ball kicking is horendous!, and he is very Bruce grobbalar gun ho which needs addressing quickly!, he comes out way way to far from his goal line and ofton makes mistakes!, his catching can be dodgy as well so he needs toning down!, whats left after all of them well quite frankly not alot and this  is where we lack behind the other teams! yes we have a big squad! but not a great one! where is the Lampard to come of the bench!, where is the Defoe!, nothing there is nothing to frighten even a 5 year old so how do we expect to change tight or losing games into wins?.. I could go on and on but I wont! all I ask is for someone to get the team back to the basic rules of football, no flying in tackles! no wondering!, no blaming others, just play football the way its supposed to be played!, think like a team, act like a team, and play like a team!.

I have just read this post again, and I think it sums up our problems perfectly. Whoever is our manager next season, the things that blackjack highlights need addressing during the transfer window.
1. Our back 4 are nowhere near good enough. Especially we need urgently a RB & LB. For me, Zeki Fryers is the only one who shows enough potential to persevere with. At CB, Cherices ( if he gets fit, and stays) I think is the best we have, along with Verthonghen ( also if he stays) and Kaboul. It is imperative that we operate with a consistent and proper defensive unit, one that the likes of Walker, Dawson & Rose can slot into if our 1st choice 4 get injured ( Sorry I do not rate Walker, Dawson & Rose as good enough regulars if we ever want to get top 4)
Sandro / Dembele seem to be going backwards of late, who knows why. Lennon would appear to be past his sell by date, so a new out and out right winger is needed, to balance up with Townsend, who I think we should persevere with. Eriksen is making the no 10 spot his own, Chadli, Siggurdson, lamela ( if ever fit) I think the jury are still out on. Either way we need to be looking at a "Frank Lampard - Steven Gerrard" style midfielder, I think.
As for upfront, well I really think we should be looking at 2 strikers. Soldado, despite some useful assists, just cannot find his scoring boots. Adebayor is never ever going to re-capture his previous goalscoring form. Defoe is gone, and Kane, well he dosen't look like he has it either.

Offline Blackjack

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »
Horray Horray we beat Southampton and scored 3 goals at home!, even won a game after playing in Europe the same week! :D great we have turned the tide, thats it lets kick on on and blow all the remaining teams away and finish 5th :) :) :) ... Then I wake up :2funny: .. O well I can dream cant I?.
SPURS TILL I DIE

Offline RSS61

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2014, 07:58:24 AM »
Horray Horray we beat Southampton and scored 3 goals at home!, even won a game after playing in Europe the same week! :D great we have turned the tide, thats it lets kick on on and blow all the remaining teams away and finish 5th :) :) :) ... Then I wake up :2funny: .. O well I can dream cant I?.

I think we will find out where we are after the Liverpool game  :D

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2014, 04:04:08 PM »
Nothing will change for the better until levy is ousted .Everything thats gone wrong can be traced back to him .
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2014, 08:13:26 PM »
Nothing will change for the better until levy is ousted .Everything thats gone wrong can be traced back to him .

be careful what you ask for; you might get something a lot worse. At the moment there is nobody knocking on the Spurs door.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2014, 08:27:15 AM »
Even leaving aside the Liverpool game, we still have 18 points to fight for which gives us a max of 74 to aim for. That should tell us all we need to know about our squad, thats if we dont already know it.

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2014, 09:48:29 AM »

be careful what you ask for; you might get something a lot worse. At the moment there is nobody knocking on the Spurs door.

I think Levy needs to go, at least should take a step back from the decision making process. No one is asking for new owners, Joe Lewis can still be the main owner.

It is too easy to say, 'be careful what you wish for' - in a way that invokes fear, like wishing for better is wrong and ooooh isn't life scary when you take a chance. Well guess what? most of the people who own football clubs are all the kind of people who take risk.

Nobody succeeds always doing what you have always done because If doing so hasn't brought success already...it never will!
Maybe next year...

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2014, 03:11:04 PM »
Stability and consistency breed sucess and we have no chance of either with him in charge .He`ll sack sherwood in the summer unless an absolute miracle occurs and he`ll appoint anew manager .In two seasons or so he`ll sack him if we`re no better off and it will all start again .
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »

I think Levy needs to go, at least should take a step back from the decision making process. No one is asking for new owners, Joe Lewis can still be the main owner.

It is too easy to say, 'be careful what you wish for' - in a way that invokes fear, like wishing for better is wrong and ooooh isn't life scary when you take a chance. Well guess what? most of the people who own football clubs are all the kind of people who take risk.

Nobody succeeds always doing what you have always done because If doing so hasn't brought success already...it never will!

What I meant by that remark was you could get somebody a lot worse. Somebody like the Cardiff owner. I would rather have Levy than some owners out there.

Also; nobody is knocking on Spurs doors to take over. In that case we need Levy. I would rather have him than allowing the club to go rudderless.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »
Stability and consistency breed sucess and we have no chance of either with him in charge .He`ll sack sherwood in the summer unless an absolute miracle occurs and he`ll appoint anew manager .In two seasons or so he`ll sack him if we`re no better off and it will all start again .

Both Wenger, and especially Fergie, had difficult starts to their prem careers, so this is a good point.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2014, 07:23:32 PM »

Both Wenger, and especially Fergie, had difficult starts to their prem careers, so this is a good point.

Levy should look after the business aspects of the club only and leave the footballing decisions including who is to be head coach/manager to someone who knows about the game!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Blackjack

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2014, 08:02:17 PM »
Sherwood is a new, younger manager learning the ropes!, he has done a great job with the yourth team and has now made the step up so lets get behind him!, lets not judge to much this season as it has been make do with this lot and do your best!, miracles welcome ::) . Next season will be the time to judge him once he has got the team he wants,( if allowed or still there!), as mentioned before Sir Alex fergusson was nearly relegated in his first managerial season and look what happened to him :up: , all managers have to start somewhere and all of our other managers have been through bad spells some of which never recovered!, just look when Santini took over, I remember watching a preseason friendly and we had some new signings, one was a striker called Silva, flippin eck he couldnt even kick a ball let alone play football!!!, I was appaulled  ??? where in the hell we found him I dont know!, he never even made it into the first team!, there where others aswell but cant remember now, anyway this highlighted our problems early on!, we clearly had either a usless scout or director of football, we had a manager in charge who clearly never wanted the job in the first place but got pushed into saying yes which proved to be a complete desaster :-[ . In comes Martin Jol who did a fantastic job slowly but surely we edged up the league into European places but we still could not beat the top 4 sides and we still slipped up at cup sides!, next come Ramos the next best thing since slice bread who tried his milatary tactics!, dont eat this dont eat that, bla bla bla, which too upset the players but also seem to have no effect on our team!, then comes Harry who was a master stroke by Levy who I thank( about the only thing I will do for). Harry b rought back the old fashioned way of playing, pass and move, move the ball quickly, attack with pace etc, he brought in some great signings and the team flourished, we even started taking points of the top 4, soon we ourselves had broken into that barrier and where now starting to push on!, everybody happy!. Then came England knocking, court cases and all and a end of season slump! but we still fineshed fourth again but alas the champions league was not ment to be!, Levy then plays the not good enough card and out goes Harry in come AVB Mourinhos apprentice a little experience and success with Porto so all looks good!, the trouble with this was he tried to implement his portugese style of football into the club!, he started dismantling a pretty good team to make his own side, what he failed to do and realise is Spurs where not used to playing that style, they never had the same quality players in the correct positions and not all english footballers are great teckniquly!!, they are not all Messi, Fabregas, Silva, Van Persie, etc, that are used to playing tight one touch passing through many players!, they are all comfortable with the ball while being heavly pressed!. AVB phylosophy was to work from the back which is ok and flood the midfield, push the defence right up to the half way line and pin in the opposition in there own half, win the ball then be clear on goal!, he liked to play a lone striker who was brought from playing in a team playing 4-4-2.W.T.F!!, all this put together back fired!, we where not scoring goals as the striker had no service, the midfield suffercated as there was no space to move without running into there own players!, the defence was non existant as they where all practicly playing midfielder being so high up the pitch leaving a goalkeeper being asked to be superman and hold the fort on his own.
I ask you this how can anyone expect Tim Sherwood to get things perfect straight away?, absolute no chance, no manager in the world could do it with this current mess so lets be patient and give Tim time to have a real crack of the whip.
SPURS TILL I DIE