SpursNetwork

6 Players Released from Their Contracts

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: 6 Players Released from Their Contracts
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 03:17:54 PM »
I think the age shouldnt be considered but the individual ability of the player and the level that they are playing at in addition the frequency,

Prime example Friedel too old but defies all by keeping himself in shape, fit and still has the edge a great current no2 IMO, Gallas if he hadnt got injured and no doubt his age contributed to his recovery he may have lasted a further season or 2 as it stands it all caught up and we thank him for his sterling service.

Drogba I would still welcome him at THFC for a season by season contract!

Its all down to the player not the miles on the clock.  Of course the older the player the less you expect from them regarding service length. 

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »
Depends on a player really. Look at Giggs, for example. Obviously he's not playing 90 minutes of every match, but he's been incredibly important to Man United. Remember when Teddy Sheringham was released by Spurs and went on to have many good seasons with Portsmouth and West Ham? Friedel has been mentioned already... And at the same time some players let their careers run downhill relatively early. Remember Patrick Kluivert, the hottest striker in late nineties and early noughties? I hadn't heard about him for years, apparently he's coaching now, but he's (only) 36.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 02:56:02 AM »
      I have just looked on the Official Club Website, and I am very surprised to see that no official statement from the Club regarding the release of the 6 players has been made. Personally I think that a statement of some sort should have been made and maybe a THANKYOU for their services and a GOOD LUCK FOR THE FUTURE. Disappointing to say the least.

:-[ :-[ :-[
:SN:[font

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 06:36:28 AM »
      I have just looked on the Official Club Website, and I am very surprised to see that no official statement from the Club regarding the release of the 6 players has been made. Personally I think that a statement of some sort should have been made and maybe a THANKYOU for their services and a GOOD LUCK FOR THE FUTURE. Disappointing to say the least.

:-[ :-[ :-[
They will do it once the players will have been released (around July 1). The same was with Woodgate. But, I agree, the official website is slow.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 07:29:44 AM »
      Hey Riff, Maybe someone from The THFC website does look at our posts, I've just checked the Club website and low and behold an official statement regarding the released players, not thanking them for their efforts, but at least wishing them luck for the future. What about that!

:up: :up:
:SN:[font

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 09:30:27 AM »
      Hey Riff, Maybe someone from The THFC website does look at our posts, I've just checked the Club website and low and behold an official statement regarding the released players, not thanking them for their efforts, but at least wishing them luck for the future. What about that!

Its so obvious now, Baldbloke is Daniel Levy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and his terrier Joe Lewis, Baldbloke is their alter ego

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 10:12:12 AM »

Its so obvious now, Baldbloke is Daniel Levy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and his terrier Joe Lewis, Baldbloke is their alter ego

Levy doesn't have any hair, so it kind of makes sense. What I don't get is the amount of verbal self-abuse...  :lol:

I now checked the full list and Dean Parrett and William Ekong have also been released. I remember when Parrett joined, he was heralded as the next big thing. Dutch lad Ekong was also said to be very promising.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:14:48 AM by RiffHard »

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »
I've lost count of the number of next big things we have signed over the years. Bostock was supposed to be the dogs. That orange bloke at Palace went nuts when we signed him. He disappeared and was never seen again. Every year we seem to sign somebody with huge potential only for them to loiter about wasting their careers in our reserves or on loan to some God forsaken outpost in the lower leagues or  QPR.  The question I guess is is it our system that stymies their development or some character flaw in the player that should have been spotted before we wasted our money. 

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »
I've lost count of the number of next big things we have signed over the years. Bostock was supposed to be the dogs. That orange bloke at Palace went nuts when we signed him. He disappeared and was never seen again. Every year we seem to sign somebody with huge potential only for them to loiter about wasting their careers in our reserves or on loan to some God forsaken outpost in the lower leagues or  QPR.  The question I guess is is it our system that stymies their development or some character flaw in the player that should have been spotted before we wasted our money. 
taimedowne, good to see you.

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »

Its been ages bud where have ya been, great to see you back!!!

Offline RSS61

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 07:32:49 AM »

It can only be the sum of 3 things as I see it.

1. The scouts, whose job it is to find new players, and bring them to the managers attention.
2. The manager, who's job it is to already have a plan of which type of players he needs to achieve his goals, and then to be fully certain that any players he looks at, are looked at thoroughly over a period of games, not just a 10 minute video clip.
3. Levy and the board to back the managers judgement, something that has not always been the case.

All clubs make mistakes with the players they bring in, its just that we seem to make more than most.

I have lots of confidence in AVB in this department, and lets hope that Levy does too. The next 6 weeks or so will be interesting.

Offline taimedowne

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 08:18:30 AM »
Oh that's nice Thanks lads. I have been reading just not had the urge to post much lately.

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 07:45:45 PM »
Oh that's nice Thanks lads. I have been reading just not had the urge to post much lately.

Yes good to see you back. Look forward to hearing your views on our build up to next season.  :up:
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 05:08:42 PM »

With a new season coming up and the possibility of us challenging for everything.... there sure will be plenty to write about.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.