SpursNetwork

Dawson Out and Caulker to Return

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
  • Season Ticket: No
Dawson Out and Caulker to Return
« on: June 02, 2014, 06:17:13 PM »
Rumor only but Poch seems to feel Dawson is surplus to requirements and a host of clubs are apparently keen inc QPR, Caulker is being touted as his replacement as it would appear we have a buy back clause in his contract and cardiff are in financial poo so Spurs may capitalise.

I am never keen on players returning but for me Caulker is far from the finished product and as such I would welcome him back in a flash.

Should never have sold him so to get him back after a season away which would be like we put him out on loan I say get him back home!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
Re: Dawson Out and Caulker to Return
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »
I have always wondered why we sold Caulker in the first place! strong defender full of promise! and we kept Naughton instead!  ???

It will be a sad day when Dawson goes, but in truth he has spent one season too many with us and our defense is in need of serious surgery!

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 07:56:29 AM »
Rumor only but Poch seems to feel Dawson is surplus to requirements and a host of clubs are apparently keen inc QPR, Caulker is being touted as his replacement as it would appear we have a buy back clause in his contract and cardiff are in financial poo so Spurs may capitalise.

I am never keen on players returning but for me Caulker is far from the finished product and as such I would welcome him back in a flash.

Should never have sold him so to get him back after a season away which would be like we put him out on loan I say get him back home!

In total agreement Metal. He has the potential to be the next John Terry, but with pace too.

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »
I think Dawson has been a great player for us over the years, When he was on his way out when AVB arrived, I was one who thought was crazy and he wasn't given a fair chance to prove himself. AVB quickly changed his mind and was right to do so.

However, at this time I do not mind if he stays or goes. If he stays he would be a reasonable squad player, but I think we need a long term, strong, fast and effective first team CB partnership. If Dawson want to leave or if we need to let him go to keep the wage bill down, then he goes with my blessing and thanks.

As for Caulker, I just do not understand how it can be that those in charge felt it was 'good business' or 'tactically sound' to let him go in the first place. I think everyone on here was saying so at the time and none of us would have sold him at all, unless we had at least a replacement that was of equal or better quality. This ineptitude is now highlighted further with the fact that they are now trying to get him back. I think it would be a good idea, but seriously why are we always making so many bad mistakes? (that was rhetorical, we all know why).
Maybe next year...

Offline RSS61

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 10:40:28 AM »
I think Dawson has been a great player for us over the years, When he was on his way out when AVB arrived, I was one who thought was crazy and he wasn't given a fair chance to prove himself. AVB quickly changed his mind and was right to do so.

However, at this time I do not mind if he stays or goes. If he stays he would be a reasonable squad player, but I think we need a long term, strong, fast and effective first team CB partnership. If Dawson want to leave or if we need to let him go to keep the wage bill down, then he goes with my blessing and thanks.

As for Caulker, I just do not understand how it can be that those in charge felt it was 'good business' or 'tactically sound' to let him go in the first place. I think everyone on here was saying so at the time and none of us would have sold him at all, unless we had at least a replacement that was of equal or better quality. This ineptitude is now highlighted further with the fact that they are now trying to get him back. I think it would be a good idea, but seriously why are we always making so many bad mistakes? (that was rhetorical, we all know why).

If I remember correctly, AVB did not want Dawson, as he was too slow to play a high line defence that he favoured, and he actually had him sold, to QPR I think, but Daws didn.t want to go there. So why Caulker was then sold, especially with Kaboul's injury problems, is anyone's guess, maybe an attitude problem regards regular starts ? who knows. Either way, if we have a buyback clause, I would exercise it right away, before some other prem club snaps him up.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »

If I remember correctly, AVB did not want Dawson, as he was too slow to play a high line defence that he favoured, and he actually had him sold, to QPR I think, but Daws didn.t want to go there. So why Caulker was then sold, especially with Kaboul's injury problems, is anyone's guess, maybe an attitude problem regards regular starts ? who knows. Either way, if we have a buyback clause, I would exercise it right away, before some other prem club snaps him up.

It was the other way around; Dawson didn't want to go and Redknapp wanted him. Anyway, he said today that he doesn't want to leave Spurs and will stay.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 05:12:03 PM »
Dawson is Spurs through and through but if he is happy to take a bit part role then I would say keep him as his experience is valuable and attitude to towards the club and game a great example to others.

If he wants more game time then he will have to move on I feel as even Kaboul will be ahead of him if he stays that is too!

I would welcome Caulker back and respect whatever Dawson chooses, if he goes then I wish him all the best if he stays as a squad player no real issue, what I wouldnt like to see is him pushed out of our club!

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 06:21:35 AM »
      Whilst it would sad to see Dawson leave(he is undoubtedly a real Spurs man), we have to look to the future, and Caulker could well be the future, if Dawson wants to stay and become a squad player then that's fine by me as the younger players would certainly benefit from his experience, obviously this would depend on whether he fits into the wage bill or not. I would hate to the Club Captain given the arse.  :up: :up:
:SN:[font

Offline RSS61

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 08:04:45 AM »

It was the other way around; Dawson didn't want to go and Redknapp wanted him. Anyway, he said today that he doesn't want to leave Spurs and will stay.

er...actually Voice, thats what I said, Daws didn't want to go there.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 09:46:33 AM »
I have to laugh at this one. Suddenly the media are announcing breaking news....Pottechino and Levy have confirmed that we need 2 full backs and a CB !!! LOL we've all been saying that for years.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 03:04:11 PM »

er...actually Voice, thats what I said, Daws didn't want to go there.

Sorry, I misread that as you said somebody else.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 08:00:25 AM »
Crystal Palace have secured Caulkers services for next season for a mere 8 Million.  Still believe we should have brought him back, perhaps there are other believed stronger targets on the radar?

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »
Crystal Palace have secured Caulkers services for next season for a mere 8 Million.  Still believe we should have brought him back, perhaps there are other believed stronger targets on the radar?

I also thought we would get him back as well. Maybe they (spurs) know something we don't.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 05:54:55 PM »

I also thought we would get him back as well. Maybe they (spurs) know something we don't.
I didn't find any confirmation of Caulker joining Palace. Maybe it's not done and dusted after all.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 07:30:17 PM »

I didn't find any confirmation of Caulker joining Palace. Maybe it's not done and dusted after all.

I was only going by the previous poster.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do