Football Director At THFC

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Football Director At THFC
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »
My impression was that AVB was a yes man and did as he was told by Levy and Baldini, so when a target was identified he just said yes and believed he was good enough to mould the player into his way of thinking/playing. Well we all saw what that kind of attitude did for him and in the end he was well out of his depth and we all saw what he was really made of and capable of, once Redknapps team was dismantled and he had to fit in the new players he didn't have a clue.
Sherwood has already come out and said that he does not want any players unless he is in on the process of choosing them and is already prepared to offload half of the players that we bought in the summer... Capoue and Chadli neither are really what we required and although alot of people like Holtby all he really did was run around alot trying to get noticed.
I think that the Manager/Head Coach (whatever you call them basically the guy picking and training the team each week) should have the major say in who he wants to buy for the team. If you must have a director of football he must then take on the managers ideas and go out and get those players or suggest someone in the same vein to buy if the original target is unobtainable !!!!

Unfortunately our Chairman seems to think he knows best and always wants everyhthing his way so if you don't do as he tells you he takes his toys away and sulks until you see it his way. I really hope that Tim Sherwood is as friendly with Levy as it has been reported and that Levy listens to him because I think given some time and backing he may well turn out to be a very goodand talented manager who may just surprise one or two people !!!

:nods:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 10:30:06 PM »

Actually your criticism of AVB and Adebayor is unfair here. If you remember the fans were accusing Adebayor of not trying hard enough and that he should be released. That he had no future at Spurs. He also admitted that his family accused him of not trying so it wasn't surprising that AVB didn't pick him. Of course I am glad he has turned it around must we mustn't forget what happened with him in the past.

True, Ade was lazy, bu unfair or not, AVB was wrong to ignore him the way he did. True. having said that look at him now!! :up:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:56:59 AM by spursjoolz »

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 07:13:04 AM »

Actually your criticism of AVB and Adebayor is unfair here. If you remember the fans were accusing Adebayor of not trying hard enough and that he should be released. That he had no future at Spurs. He also admitted that his family accused him of not trying so it wasn't surprising that AVB didn't pick him. Of course I am glad he has turned it around must we mustn't forget what happened with him in the past.

Teue, Ade was lazy, bu unfair or not, AVB was wrong to ignore him the way he did. True. having said that look at him now!! :up:
His brother died. No wonder he wasn't very motivated...

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 04:19:20 PM »
My impression was that AVB was a yes man and did as he was told by Levy and Baldini, so when a target was identified he just said yes and believed he was good enough to mould the player into his way of thinking/playing. Well we all saw what that kind of attitude did for him and in the end he was well out of his depth and we all saw what he was really made of and capable of, once Redknapps team was dismantled and he had to fit in the new players he didn't have a clue.
Sherwood has already come out and said that he does not want any players unless he is in on the process of choosing them and is already prepared to offload half of the players that we bought in the summer... Capoue and Chadli neither are really what we required and although alot of people like Holtby all he really did was run around alot trying to get noticed.
I think that the Manager/Head Coach (whatever you call them basically the guy picking and training the team each week) should have the major say in who he wants to buy for the team. If you must have a director of football he must then take on the managers ideas and go out and get those players or suggest someone in the same vein to buy if the original target is unobtainable !!!!

Unfortunately our Chairman seems to think he knows best and always wants everyhthing his way so if you don't do as he tells you he takes his toys away and sulks until you see it his way. I really hope that Tim Sherwood is as friendly with Levy as it has been reported and that Levy listens to him because I think given some time and backing he may well turn out to be a very goodand talented manager who may just surprise one or two people !!!

Your impressions are based on you not liking him. If he was a yes man then when Levy saw him on the Monday and demanded he use Ado he would have/ should have jumped at that command. But he didn't and left. Levy wasn't going to sack him. In the end he left by mutual consent. So your impressions were/ are wrong.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 04:20:27 PM »

Teue, Ade was lazy, bu unfair or not, AVB was wrong to ignore him the way he did. True. having said that look at him now!! :up:

Then if you want to accept that then it wasn't surprising that AVB never picked him and preferred Solado instead.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 07:02:53 PM »

Then if you want to accept that then it wasn't surprising that AVB never picked him and preferred Solado instead.
Jesus, Voice, I don't know why he didn't pick Adebayor. Maybe it was his brother's death, maybe something else. Also I don't know why Redknapp didn't pick Gomes and Bentley, I don't know why Jol picked Anthony Gardner etc.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 07:31:38 PM »

Jesus, Voice, I don't know why he didn't pick Adebayor. Maybe it was his brother's death, maybe something else. Also I don't know why Redknapp didn't pick Gomes and Bentley, I don't know why Jol picked Anthony Gardner etc.

Exactly; we can only go by what is reported in the papers. But AVB wouldn't have not played a very fit player. AVB had his reasons for dropping him.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 07:52:11 AM »

Your impressions are based on you not liking him. If he was a yes man then when Levy saw him on the Monday and demanded he use Ado he would have/ should have jumped at that command. But he didn't and left. Levy wasn't going to sack him. In the end he left by mutual consent. So your impressions were/ are wrong.

Once again Voice, you are accusing UGS of making comments based on his opinion of AVB, it doesn't matter whether he liked him or not, he is entitled to his opinion. AVB was sacked not just because he refused to play Ade, but also because of his failings, which included not being prepared to vary his formation plus the fact that we had just been thrashed at home 5-0.
          Just one question, how do you know he left by mutual consent?

Exactly; we can only go by what is reported in the papers. But AVB wouldn't have not played a very fit player. AVB had his reasons for dropping him.

Why do we have to go by what is reported in the papers? Most of what they print is BULLs**t.   :-\ :-\
         AVB made it very clear why he refused to play Ade, he made him train with the Youth Team or on his own, that is why Ade was unfit, AVB let his personal feelings interfere with his decision making, which just goes to show his measure.   :nods: :nods:

:tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

:SN:[font

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 10:48:15 AM »

I have to agree with you here. I was listening to Alex Ferguson on the news tonight about giving Moyles more time and people should get of his back. AVB needed more time; when he was dismissed we were in all competitions and 6th in the league. As soon as he was sacked we were knocked out of two competitions. He should have been give more time; at least to the end of the season to see what would have happened. The same will happen to Sherwood if we don't finish in the top 4.

No, and I repeat no manager can play the kind of football AVB was, then lose 6-0 and 5-0 in a short space of time, and expect to keep his job.

I don't agree that AVB should have been given more time. Whilst I supported him fully last season, my faith in him went slowly down as this season unfolded. The Adebayor exile saga was totally wrong and for me that was a big mistake.  In addition, the big scores lost games and the refusal to change tactics didn't help. 

As far as Baldini and Levy are concerned, no one really knows who was pulling the strings at the time. One thing for sure is that Sherwood has no power in that department.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 04:04:58 PM »

Once again Voice, you are accusing UGS of making comments based on his opinion of AVB, it doesn't matter whether he liked him or not, he is entitled to his opinion. AVB was sacked not just because he refused to play Ade, but also because of his failings, which included not being prepared to vary his formation plus the fact that we had just been thrashed at home 5-0.
          Just one question, how do you know he left by mutual consent?

Why do we have to go by what is reported in the papers? Most of what they print is BULLs**t.   :-\ :-\
         AVB made it very clear why he refused to play Ade, he made him train with the Youth Team or on his own, that is why Ade was unfit, AVB let his personal feelings interfere with his decision making, which just goes to show his measure.   :nods: :nods:

:tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

OK, so if what is said in the papers is bulls**t then where is he getting his information from? If it is just his opinion then there is no substance to it. If there is no substances to it then such opinions are based on likes or dislikes; in this case we are talking AVB. An opinion without substance is just waffle. We should deal with facts; if we can't then attacking on likes or dislikes is just pissing in the wind.

You are right though; we are all entitled to our opinion and like UGS I gave mine based on his opinions. And as you support opinions you must also support mine? Even though you may not agree with what I say.

I also like to add; that I welcome opinions and I certainly wouldn't attack ugs on his (even though I might to agree with that opinion) so I hope you both won't attack me on my opinions. Of course you are welcome to pick flaws in my opinions. After all opinions are what makes forums go around and lively!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:10:36 PM by Voice »
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 06:11:41 PM »
The director of football may be the ueropean way but that dose not mean it works here, Spurs have tried this several times before starting with David pleat I think,  the manager should pick his scout who in turn can come up with ideas for the manager, then it should be up to him to watch and decide if it is the quality and player he is looking for. Baldini is a waste of space, as a few have said before you don't see Ars,Mc,Che,Mu buying players that are not on the managers list and there success is un arguable so why should we be any different? Whenever we start to make progress in the league it has been with an old school manager who did it his way with HIS players, unfortunatly for these managers they tended to be out spoken and brushed swords with the chairmen whenever he tried to but in, Harry was the best recent one and he was treated dreadful, AVB did well when he first took over with the majority of HR team but as soon as he became Levi/Baldini robot it all went down hill. He was a yes man to the point of using the players he was given to use, but he was really stupid in his team selection ethics, by trying to play one way and one way only he failed to see what worked abroad would only work here if he had the same quality in his new squad also a team needs time to get to know each other! Which is why directors of football don't work, you can't keep hoping to  go out and buy a team then put it on a pitch and start winning trophys, it took MC a couple of years with mega millions to do that, at least with them they played the players in there correct positions! TS is great but I fear for him in the long run as he to is old school but has vultures baring down on him.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:41:15 AM by Blackjack »
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »
The director of football may be the ueropean way but that dose not mean it works here, Spurs have tried this several times before starting with David pleat I think,  the manager should pick his scout who in turn can come up with ideas for the manager, then it should be up to him to watch and decide if it is the quality and player he is looking for. Baldini is a waste of space, as a few have said before you don't see Ars,Mc,Che,Mu buying players that are not on the managers list and there success is un arguable so why should we be any different? Whenever we start to make progress in the league it has been with an old school manager who did it his way with HIS players, unfortunatly for these managers they tended to be out spoken and brushed swords with the chairmen whenever he tried to but in, Harry was the best recent one and he was treated dreadful, AVB did well when he first took over with the majority of HR team but as soon as he became Levi/Baldini robot it all went down hill. He was a yes man to the point of using the players he wad givern to use but he was really stupid in his team selection ethics, by trying to play one way and one way only he failed to see what worked abroad would only work here if he had the same quality in his new squad also a team needs time to get to know each other! Which is why directors of football don't work, you can't keep hoping to  go out and buy a team then put it on a pitch and start winning trophys, it took MC a couple of years with mega millions to do that, at least with them they played the players in there correct positions! TS is great but IT fear for him in the long run as he to is old school but has vultures baring down on him.

Thank you Blackjack for bringing this thread back onto topic!  I shall now read and enjoy your post!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 08:42:01 AM »
The director of football may be the ueropean way but that dose not mean it works here, Spurs have tried this several times before starting with David pleat I think,  the manager should pick his scout who in turn can come up with ideas for the manager, then it should be up to him to watch and decide if it is the quality and player he is looking for. Baldini is a waste of space, as a few have said before you don't see Ars,Mc,Che,Mu buying players that are not on the managers list and there success is un arguable so why should we be any different? Whenever we start to make progress in the league it has been with an old school manager who did it his way with HIS players, unfortunatly for these managers they tended to be out spoken and brushed swords with the chairmen whenever he tried to but in, Harry was the best recent one and he was treated dreadful, AVB did well when he first took over with the majority of HR team but as soon as he became Levi/Baldini robot it all went down hill. He was a yes man to the point of using the players he wad givern to use but he was really stupid in his team selection ethics, by trying to play one way and one way only he failed to see what worked abroad would only work here if he had the same quality in his new squad also a team needs time to get to know each other! Which is why directors of football don't work, you can't keep hoping to  go out and buy a team then put it on a pitch and start winning trophys, it took MC a couple of years with mega millions to do that, at least with them they played the players in there correct positions! TS is great but IT fear for him in the long run as he to is old school but has vultures baring down on him.

Thank you Blackjack for bringing this thread back onto topic!  I shall now read and enjoy your post!

Whilst I agree with the majority of what you say Blackjack, I think there are some good points in the appointment of a Director of Football providing he works in conjunction with the Head Coach, and the two of them in turn have to work with the Chairman because ultimately he holds the purse-strings, unfortunately Levy seems to want to do everything at the moment and this in turn makes it very difficult. Personally I thought the appointment of Baldini was going to be a good thing, but ONLY if he worked in conjunction with the Head Coach, which as we now know didn't happen, whether this will work in the future depends on Levy. We Shall See!!! :nods: :nods: :nods: :nods: :nods:
:SN:[font