SpursNetwork

Football Director At THFC

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
  • Season Ticket: No
Football Director At THFC
« on: January 23, 2014, 07:53:01 PM »
I have never been a great fan of this role and I was skeptical when Levy opted to try again with Baldini.

As links were already in place with AVB surely a repeat of the Comelli saga would not be repeated?

What exactly is the FD supposed to do as seems at THFC they come in go for players they want, get Levys trusted ear, piss of the manager and cause all sorts of shyte.

I am a firm believer the manager should indentify who we buy and sell, end off, how can a manage develop players he doesn't want in and be then held accountable for failure.

This is not a defense of AVB as his lack of vision and willingness to Dare was his downfall but I feel TS isnt a manger to put up with that kind of game and it will be interesting to see what develops.  If TS does well we could see Baldini gone in teh summer!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
Re: Football Director At THFC
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 07:58:52 PM »
...but I feel TS isnt a manger to put up with that kind of game and it will be interesting to see what develops.
Tim Sherwood is a head coach, not a manager. I think it probably means that some of the tasks that are usually manager's, have been assigned to director of football. Director of football probably handles the transfers (whether he finds the targets or the head coach, we can only imagine) and contract negotiations.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:17:46 PM »
The European style/ director of football is the way English football is going.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 07:52:03 AM »

I wonder if its the way its going for the most successful clubs of the last 20 years....Man Utd Ars*nal Chelsea Man City Liverpool etc.

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 09:02:08 AM »

I wonder if its the way its going for the most successful clubs of the last 20 years....Man Utd Ars*nal Chelsea Man City Liverpool etc.
Well, Liverpool also hired Comolli. He doesn't work for them anymore...

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »
Levy`s the true director of football at spurs . He identifies players , signs them and would pick the bloody team if he could .I think he`s the real problem at spurs .
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 12:55:14 PM »
Levy`s the true director of football at spurs . He identifies players , signs them and would pick the bloody team if he could .I think he`s the real problem at spurs .

you may well be right

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »

It might not be now but there is talk about switching.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 05:49:10 PM »

You may have a point, Levy's business head can not realy be questioned but his vision and insight into football understanding that "championships are not won over night" is perhaps the issue.

I dont think there is much doubt that Levy's relationship with a our recent managers all broke down and we know the outcome, this includes, Jol, Redknapp, and AVB all of whom were initially moving Spurs in the right direction.

I fear until issues behind the scenes are ironed out it doesn't matter who we sign or who manages/coaches the team we will always be on thin ice.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 07:02:53 PM »

You may have a point, Levy's business head can not realy be questioned but his vision and insight into football understanding that "championships are not won over night" is perhaps the issue.

I dont think there is much doubt that Levy's relationship with a our recent managers all broke down and we know the outcome, this includes, Jol, Redknapp, and AVB all of whom were initially moving Spurs in the right direction.

I fear until issues behind the scenes are ironed out it doesn't matter who we sign or who manages/coaches the team we will always be on thin ice.

I have to agree with you here. I was listening to Alex Ferguson on the news tonight about giving Moyles more time and people should get of his back. AVB needed more time; when he was dismissed we were in all competitions and 6th in the league. As soon as he was sacked we were knocked out of two competitions. He should have been give more time; at least to the end of the season to see what would have happened. The same will happen to Sherwood if we don't finish in the top 4.

On a positive note; Ferguson reckons that United can still will the league title. That is good news for us as we are higher than them :up:
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 09:09:10 AM »

On a positive note; Ferguson reckons that United can still will the league title. That is good news for us as we are higher than them :up:
Old red-nose is drinking more wine these days, I reckon

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 09:11:50 AM »

Riff I think its much stronger than wine...... whisky with antifreeze perhaps? 

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 04:21:47 PM »

I won't argue with that, however, my point was that we are a lot higher and in a better position than United.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 06:04:17 PM »

I have to agree with you here. I was listening to Alex Ferguson on the news tonight about giving Moyles more time and people should get of his back. AVB needed more time; when he was dismissed we were in all competitions and 6th in the league. As soon as he was sacked we were knocked out of two competitions. He should have been give more time; at least to the end of the season to see what would have happened. The same will happen to Sherwood if we don't finish in the top 4.

I don't agree that AVB should have been given more time. Whilst I supported him fully last season, my faith in him went slowly down as this season unfolded. The Adebayor exile saga was totally wrong and for me that was a big mistake.  In addition, the big scores lost games and the refusal to change tactics didn't help. 

As far as Baldini and Levy are concerned, no one really knows who was pulling the strings at the time. One thing for sure is that Sherwood has no power in that department.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 06:40:20 PM »

I don't agree that AVB should have been given more time. Whilst I supported him fully last season, my faith in him went slowly down as this season unfolded. The Adebayor exile saga was totally wrong and for me that was a big mistake.  In addition, the big scores lost games and the refusal to change tactics didn't help. 

As far as Baldini and Levy are concerned, no one really knows who was pulling the strings at the time. One thing for sure is that Sherwood has no power in that department.

Actually your criticism of AVB and Adebayor is unfair here. If you remember the fans were accusing Adebayor of not trying hard enough and that he should be released. That he had no future at Spurs. He also admitted that his family accused him of not trying so it wasn't surprising that AVB didn't pick him. Of course I am glad he has turned it around must we mustn't forget what happened with him in the past.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do