SpursNetwork

Lamela

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
  • Season Ticket: No
Lamela
« on: December 28, 2013, 01:58:29 PM »
As usual the bottom feeding tabloids like to stir things up for us, but many sources are quoting Lamela angling for a loan move in January and Timmy willing to ship him out.

I think if we do ship out Lamela we will become even more of a laughing stock, players don't even get time to settle instant results expected etc.

For me shipping out Lamela would be a huge mistake, he is a massive talent and needs to settle (look how long it took Bale Arry wanted to sell him for 5 mill), if we plan to keep him and want to loan him out for game practice then send him to QPR, pointless shipping him out of England when the issue is adapting to the EPL and the language.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 02:05:36 PM by Metalanimal »
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Lamela
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 04:23:39 PM »
I agree with what has been said, nevertheless, if we do loan him out we must replace him.

Personally we should keep him and give him more games.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 06:31:06 PM »
Well, there is a chance he may never settle here. Remember Shevchenko? He came to England (from Serie A like Lamela) as one of the best strikers in the world and we all know what happened...

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:55:20 PM »
Apparently his brother added a comment to twitter today that Lamela doesnt want a loan move and wants to stay at THFC.

To be honest I cant remember the last time the press ever printed anything positive about THFC.

Fair point Riff but surely after 4 months with very limited football we cant gauge if he will be a flop or success.

If we are to make that call about Lamela then surely the same would apply to other players who arrived during preseason and have started nearly every EPL match and have not yet settled such as Soldado?

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 07:31:04 PM »
Well, there is a chance he may never settle here. Remember Shevchenko? He came to England (from Serie A like Lamela) as one of the best strikers in the world and we all know what happened...

There is a history of players coming and not achieving their potential. And of course it works the other way; just think of Greaves.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »
Fair point Riff but surely after 4 months with very limited football we cant gauge if he will be a flop or success.
No, of course not and I'm not saying he's a flop (I generally try to avoid that term altogether). I'm just saying it's up to the management to decide what to do with him. All in all I've always been convinced that loaning out a senior player (I consider Lamela to be one) will usually mean that he's finished with the parent club and we've had plenty of examples.

I'd like to see Lamela stay and get more playing-time and then in Summer the whole situation should be assessed again.

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 08:13:14 AM »
I cant help thinking that this season is a write off. We are lagging behind in the league, got a very tough F.A cup game and Sherwoods European experience is limited to where he has been on his holidays. With that in mind we should use the remaining games to experiment with players and formations. Give players like Lamela as much game time as possible, accept he is learning to adapt and allow him to grow into the top player he has the potential to be. We can come back stronger next season this way, but as football is all about the short term this is unlikely to happen. As has been mentioned there is no point loaning him to a foreign side he wont get experience in English football playing in Italy. If he has to go it should be to somewhere like Swansea who play decent attacking football and would be a good fit for him and of benefit to Spurs when he returns. In hindsight buying him at all was probably a mistake. With Lennon and Townshend we are well covered in his position, we could of got a decent left back for half the money, But he is here and we should try to get the best out of him whilst that is the case.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 03:18:22 PM »
I totally disagree that this season is a write off and although the jury is still out on Sherwood, I believe that we are still in in with a shout. Anyway, can we afford to be complacent?

On the Lamella front, it would be true to say that he was always an extravagant buy for us, but a loan deal back in Italy is defo not the answer. To keep him him  to deal with the rigours of the premier league tempo is the key. He is a young player and he will learn quickly.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 04:53:10 PM »
I also agree that this season isn't a write off (at this moment in time); however, if you do accept it is then AVB should have been allowed have gone to the end of the season.

Lamela is improving and should not be put out on loan in January.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 01:35:05 AM »
I usually like to back youngsters but I can not for the life of me think how Lamela was worth £30m, he is left footed but his control is shocking and he lacks pace, I will give him till the end of the season to get his act together but on a personal note I think he is just not good enough. I hope he proves me wrong!, we need to find a young sterling or Barkley, lets stay in house with our trainees as we have some coming through, the annoying thing is we let Caulker go and let Livermoor and Carol go on loan, I could even go as far as to say we should have kept Tarrabt he might of just fitted in now lol.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 11:39:38 AM »
I usually like to back youngsters but I can not for the life of me think how Lamela was worth £30m, he is left footed but his control is shocking and he lacks pace, I will give him till the end of the season to get his act together but on a personal note I think he is just not good enough. I hope he proves me wrong!, we need to find a young sterling or Barkley, lets stay in house with our trainees as we have some coming through, the annoying thing is we let Caulker go and let Livermoor and Carol go on loan, I could even go as far as to say we should have kept Tarrabt he might of just fitted in now lol.

I think once he fits in and plays up to his potential then we might relook at his value and say it is/ was justified. At the moment I agree with you.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »
I usually like to back youngsters but I can not for the life of me think how Lamela was worth £30m, he is left footed but his control is shocking and he lacks pace...
That's Serie A for you. Italy might be a better national side than England, but their top league is still considerably weaker.

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 02:19:24 PM »

Why we sold Caulker will always be a mystery to me. Some will say that Chiriches replaced him, but so far he hasn't been that brilliant.

There is a possiblity that both Livermore & carrol will return from loan in Jan and i would welome that, but I was never fan of Tarrabt, so no great loss there!

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 03:22:07 PM »
There is a possiblity that both Livermore & carrol will return from loan in Jan
No, they won't as they've been loaned out until the end of the season and cannot be recalled.

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 07:36:34 PM »

No, they won't as they've been loaned out until the end of the season and cannot be recalled.

I heard it when Sherwood got the job. Obviously the wrong info. Pity!