SpursNetwork

Doesnt This Just Break Your Heart

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Doesnt This Just Break Your Heart
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 11:25:33 AM »
IMO, any player leaving any club like Modric and Berba deserve all that's coming to them.

Modric did bitch quite abit and went AWOL for a while and if my memory serves me right didn't play (refused) some of the warm-ups. Whilst, there is no grudge against him and I wish him all the best, it does not bother me that he sits on the bench at RM and I wouldn't want him back at the club. There are others.

I won't bring Sol Campbell (AKA Judas) into this equation, too much has already been said about that and none of it complimentary,  but if we look at Pat Jennings departure in the 70's when Spurs were relegated to the old 2nd Div (Spurs History), he left for a valid reason IMO and is still an ambassador for the club.

Are there other players who left the cub under a cloud?

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
IMO, any player leaving any club like Modric and Berba deserve all that's coming to them.

Modric did bitch quite abit and went AWOL for a while and if my memory serves me right didn't play (refused) some of the warm-ups. Whilst, there is no grudge against him and I wish him all the best, it does not bother me that he sits on the bench at RM and I wouldn't want him back at the club. There are others.

I won't bring Sol Campbell (AKA Judas) into this equation, too much has already been said about that and none of it complimentary,  but if we look at Pat Jennings departure in the 70's when Spurs were relegated to the old 2nd Div (Spurs History), he left for a valid reason IMO and is still an ambassador for the club.

Well, I've heard Greaves never wanted to leave (to WHU), and he's still very much respected among our supporters, but he himself feels insulted. Might be a rumour, of course.

Carrick and Keane both said they wanted to go when offers came in and were allowed to leave. Keane, of course, returned later and was never the same player again. He probably knows it himself.

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 03:50:21 PM »
That's true Jimmy was used as a makeweight in the deal that brought Martin Peters to Spurs. He felt let down and has never really forgiven us. A lot of tears were shed that day by a certain 8 or 9 yr old boy who at one point even considered swapping allegiance to West Ham to follow his hero. However common sense prevailed and today I find myself reading about how awful AVB is whilst we sit 3rd in the premier league as opposed to whinging about Sam Alladyce and the signing of Joe Cole.   

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
I bet you're glad you didn't make the switch?

:coys:

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 04:28:27 PM »
Oh Yes. There are still days I'd like to go down to the training ground and bang some heads together. But Spurs are in my blood now and always will be. You dont realise how the choice you make at age 5 or so can impact the rest of your life to such an extent it becomes all consuming. They dont teach you this stuff at school a Teacher should tell you to be careful who you choose as you are setting yourself on a path that can bring you great joy or a life of abject misery. After 40 odd years of supporting Spurs my experiance has been somewhere in the middle, which is probably the best place to be.

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 04:44:22 PM »
That's true Jimmy was used as a makeweight in the deal that brought Martin Peters to Spurs. He felt let down and has never really forgiven us. A lot of tears were shed that day by a certain 8 or 9 yr old boy who at one point even considered swapping allegiance to West Ham to follow his hero.
Thank God Peters proved to be a great signing.  :up:

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »
I dont think it is fair to at this point compare Dembele in our shirt to Modric, Modric took sometime to settle and adapt to the English game, whilst Dembele was out injuried so hence is lacking in match fitness and also still getting to adapt to our playing ways.

I wouldnt want Modric back regardless same as Berbatoss and that defender who's name i have forgotten.

The likes of Carrick would be welcome back as Keane and Klinsmann before him was as they left with self respect and in turn respecting the club and its supporters.

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 05:02:16 PM »
I dont think it is fair to at this point compare Dembele in our shirt to Modric, Modric took sometime to settle and adapt to the English game, whilst Dembele was out injuried so hence is lacking in match fitness and also still getting to adapt to our playing ways.

and that defender who's name i have forgotten.

Sol campbell? :hide: :2funny:

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 05:34:40 PM »
Lol no not that one, i think it was Ghaly or sumin like that he threw his shirt when subbed or refused to come on I cant remember exactly as he was a bit of a poo player.

Either way his actions were utter wank towards the club and supporters!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 06:36:27 PM »
Lol no not that one, i think it was Ghaly or sumin like that he threw his shirt when subbed or refused to come on I cant remember exactly as he was a bit of a poo player.

Either way his actions were utter wank towards the club and supporters!
Hossam Ghaly was a DM. Redknapp tried to send him on as a substitute some years later (as Ghaly was still with us) but called him back on the bench as the crowd started booing.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 07:37:02 PM »

So I assume that we will all be booing Clint Dempsey then for refusing to play and going AWOL to engineer a move away from Fulham !!!!
 :hide: ::)

Plus how can you be sure what was promised to Modric when he was persuaded to stay for another year the season before, in any case it's a crying shame that a player of the talent of Modric is not being utilised to his full potential. All he was trying to do was strive to achieve his full career potential and he thought that he could do that at Real Madrid ... he's a wonderful player and I would have him back in a Spurs shirt in a heartbeat !!!!

:)
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »
Modric can f**king rot in hell as far as i`m concerened . He`s an ungrateful , rat faced little c*nt ! Not that i`m bitter or anything :P
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline pieboy

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 09:34:12 PM »
Modric was good but dembele has done just as well. Not saying he is better or not but Dembele has been on good form.
And coincidently I spoted this article on skysport moments ago.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11994/8378257/Complete-midfielder-

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 10:54:05 PM »

So I assume that we will all be booing Clint Dempsey then for refusing to play and going AWOL to engineer a move away from Fulham !!!!
 :hide: ::)

Plus how can you be sure what was promised to Modric when he was persuaded to stay for another year the season before, in any case it's a crying shame that a player of the talent of Modric is not being utilised to his full potential. All he was trying to do was strive to achieve his full career potential and he thought that he could do that at Real Madrid ... he's a wonderful player and I would have him back in a Spurs shirt in a heartbeat !!!!

:)

Both Berba & Modric were stars and greatly apreciated by our supporters & management alike. I was quite angry when Berba caused havoc in order to join ManU and likewise Modric's behaviour when he left, although he was not quite as bad.

As far as I understand, Dempsey was not particularly loved by the Fulham fans or management (not Jol), or at least he felt undervalued, hence the reason why he made his exit. I do not condone the way he did it obviously, but there were differences

It is a great shame that he is not being used to his full potential, but, as we know, this often happens with big clubs.

On second thoughts, maybe I would have him back, provided that he apologises to us the supporters and embraces AVB tactics. I am sure there wouldn't be any problems there! :D

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 11:18:26 PM »
This is where the problem comes with any transfer of a player that wants to leave for whatever reason, if they want to go in the current footballing climate they hold all the cards. To be honest both Modric and Berbatov made it clear that they wanted to leave and it was the club dragging it's heels, quite rightly trying to persuade them to stay or ensuring the club got the right deal, that caused the delays leading to the rebelious actions !!. In both cases the club did well out the deals financially but lost a valuable asset, and that is the thing players are assets and are there to be cashed in on under the right circumstances, In both cases I would much prefer the player to have stayed and continued playing for us but from their point of view they want to further their career and fulfil their potential, which normally means playing Champions League that we couldn't provide.

Far worse in my opinion is the player that refuses to sign a new contract and allows his current one to run out then walks away as this leaves the club with no financial reward and no player. One player springs to mind that has done that in recent years but I won't mention his name as I don't want to get that angry !!!!

:up:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion