SpursNetwork

No Adebayor...so who?

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
  • Season Ticket: No
No Adebayor...so who?
« on: July 29, 2012, 12:46:12 AM »
It seems that we are no longer in a position to sign Adebayor. Probably an issue with wages, or maybe Ade would have been prepared to take a pay cut to play for Harry, who knows.

Problem is, that leaves us with Defoe up front. We have gone from needing a quality striker to boost our chances, to needing 2 or 3. Who would you like to see us sign? Who do you think we will get?

With the talk of Carroll going to Newcastle, would you consider making a £7million bid to activate Ba's release clause? As one of those strikers?
Maybe next year...

Offline aspursfan

Re: No Adebayor...so who?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 05:20:15 AM »
It's a good question. We all want that marquee striker to come in and take the league by storm, but there are no guarantees here and we need someone who can actually come in and immediately score goals.

For that alone I think someone like Ba might be necessary. He's already adapted to the Premier League and I'd feel more confident with him up front than Defoe. I feel that it's harsh on Defoe, but he just isn't the player to be a lone striker and I really doubt we're going to often see two up front under AVB.

Who I'd like to see us sign is a different story. I would fully support smashing our wage structure and making a silly transfer offer for Cavani. I think he would be absolutely unstoppable up front for us. I'd consider Levy a genius if he made that happen.

I doubt that'll happen though. We won't get Hulk either. Probably not Damiao either unfortunately. Just isn't practical.

I wish we had Newcastle's scouts. Seriously. Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye and Cisse. I'd welcome all these players.
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline Yiddite

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:18:17 AM »
Adebayor is not a done deal as you rightly say although I thought at one stage it was.
However see in today's press that it still might happen.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »
The one thing that 'Arry kept crying out for was a quality striker that could score 20+ goals a game........... Mr Levy you now have your man in charge and we are in the worse state I can remember for strikers, even when we had Postiga or Rebrov we looked better than we do now.

Adebayor was a gap filler because we got him cheap (Mr Levy's favourite word) and now we have to shell out the cash all of a sudden it's a bad deal !!!!

Don't kid yourselves we won't sign a superstar striker, we probably won't even sign a great striker, what we will sign is a stinker that's cheap.

I'm afraid that our one problem that we have had for years is going to be the sinking of us again this season !!!!!!

>:(
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 12:16:19 PM »
The one thing that 'Arry kept crying out for was a quality striker that could score 20+ goals a game........... Mr Levy you now have your man in charge and we are in the worse state I can remember for strikers, even when we had Postiga or Rebrov we looked better than we do now.

Adebayor was a gap filler because we got him cheap (Mr Levy's favourite word) and now we have to shell out the cash all of a sudden it's a bad deal !!!!

Don't kid yourselves we won't sign a superstar striker, we probably won't even sign a great striker, what we will sign is a stinker that's cheap.

I'm afraid that our one problem that we have had for years is going to be the sinking of us again this season !!!!!!

Probably the biggest problem is finding a top striker, who costs under 40 million, and wants to come to us for less than 200K a week.  When an average striker like Adebayor wants 170K a week you know there's a problem.

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 09:25:05 PM »

Probably the biggest problem is finding a top striker, who costs under 40 million, and wants to come to us for less than 200K a week.  When an average striker like Adebayor wants 170K a week you know there's a problem.

Well they do have to put food on the table! Think of the children.
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline RSS61

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:40:18 AM »

Well they do have to put food on the table! Think of the children.

lol  :D

Offline RSS61

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 07:43:09 AM »
I know its ancient history, but when we signed Greavsey, he was the top striker in Europe, and we broke the British transfer record to get him. Cant see that happening this season for sure.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 08:17:09 AM »
I would still like to see us go for Fernando Llorente.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 07:34:20 AM »
I would still like to see us go for Fernando Llorente.
Yeah not a bad shout, pretty much a one club man who has been consistent over last few years. Not heard him linked with us though. Anyone who can get 2 against Man U is good by me  :D

Offline Yiddite

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 07:58:42 AM »
Llorente or Damiao would be good signings.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »
Llorente or Damiao would be good signings.

A striker would be a good signing, but the way things are going I fear we may be left wanting......

:nope:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline dublinboy99

• Hero: Hoddle
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »
Sturridge and Berbatov would do now, no chance of us getting any of the top names we are linked with at the moment.  Defoe would thrive with Berbatov

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »
Sturridge and Berbatov would do now, no chance of us getting any of the top names we are linked with at the moment.  Defoe would thrive with Berbatov
No Berbastard, please! As for Sturridge, I very much doubt Chelsea would sell him to us.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
No Berbastard, please! As for Sturridge, I very much doubt Chelsea would sell him to us.

I doubt very much anyone will sell anyone too us.... once again 9 days to our first league match and we are scraping around for strikers...... been here before !!!!!

Don't worry the Chairman and his puppet will find a has been going cheap and dress it up as a coup for us no doubt !!!!!

>:( >:(