Please discuss
AVB OUT, AND TAKE LEVY WITH YOU

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Brad Friedel
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 08:24:23 PM »
Decent signing if you ask me. Friedel is top keeper in this league so to have signed him on a free is great business. If he declines as a keeper then we havent thrown a big fee away.

Keepers can go on for a lot longer than outfield players, so I'm guessig baldbloke is suggesting freidel is too old and we should have signed a younger less experienced keeper (for a big fee)?

This signing is not a statement of our intent. It was a move to stabalise our goal keeper position - much like united signing Van Der Saar a few years ago!

COYS!

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »
I don't really know what to think of this one...Signing a 41 year old keeper, i just can't get excited about it.

No doubt he's a good keeper, but surly his age is going to start catching up to him soon

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:46:39 PM »
I cannot see him becoming our number one keeper, to be honest. Experience is always needed and therefore I'm not too disappointed he has agreed to join us.

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:55:25 PM »
I'm not really sure what to think about this. I'm not trying to put Gomes down here, but I don't think I'd want him as our #2 keeper. I just don't think he'd deal well with not being first choice and I don't think he'd perform well if he had to come on in the middle of a game or something. He seems to get rattled very easily.
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline pukekohespur

• Hero: Greaves
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:00:42 PM »
Blackburn bought Robinson to replace Friedel ...didn't they. And now we buy Friedel...why didn't we just keep Robinson?
5 years ago I thought Friedel was the best keeper in the prem, now I'm not sure if he is able to threaten Gomes to be honest.
"Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is." Danny Blanchflower

Offline Derry-Yid

• Hero: Teddy Sheringham
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:58:17 PM »
Its all about compepition for places...that gives us three keepers all pushing to be number 1 for next season...neither of them will want to be left out or even sub,so they will all be pushing hard for that number 1 spot,which can only be a good thing...its a free transfer at the end of the day..decent siging if you ask me.
"It's been my life, Tottenham Hotspur,
and I love the club."

Offline Spurs218

• Hero: Zokora
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 05:11:16 AM »
Can we afford to keep changing our keeper? Our defence need to get used to the keeper and that wont happen if we're constantly changing.
"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

RIP: Sir Bill Nicholson

Offline Holtspur

• Hero: Ricky Villa
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 09:03:21 AM »
I cannot see him becoming our number one keeper, to be honest. Experience is always needed and therefore I'm not too disappointed he has agreed to join us.
According to sky sports, he has joined on Harry's promise that he will be number one, hence Gomes looking to move out......a huge mistake by my reckoning

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 09:27:07 AM »
Well if Brad is the new number one that's the goalkeeping "issue" sorted.

On to the strikers.....
COYS!

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »
I really dont get this, Gomes made some gaffs this last season but if you look at how many times his super saves which border on the impossible kept us either in a match and secured valuable points to what the few blunders cost there is no comparison.

On top of that his is dedicated to THFC and loves playing for us right up until all the speculation started about a new keeper, how can Arry promise Friedel the number 1 spot if he merrits starting places on perfromances and attitude in training?????

So now it looks like we have signed a 40yr old veteran who hasnt really achieved f**k all apart from clock up a record number of EPL starts, yes he has experience and catch  but he never could and never will be capable of the match winning saves Gomes can pull off!

It really does look like we are saying bye bye to Gomes remember he set a GK record for us so cant be that bad eh passing the stats Pat J, Ray Clemence, Erik the Viking and Robbo (who replaced Friedel at Blackburn) all in the modern game which is IMO alot harder!

Keepers make errors same as any other player! 
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 10:40:22 PM »
Well if Brad is the new number one that's the goalkeeping "issue" sorted.

On to the strikers.....

Well put Dedley

Berbatov and Odemwingie please !!!!!!!!!

:coolsmiley:

‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion