SpursNetwork

If I was the Manager

Offline Holtspur

• Hero: Ricky Villa
If I was the Manager
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:24:35 AM »
Ok. So the season is effectively over for us and we may have to settle for 6th. Harry has said that he won't let our star players go (if you believe him) and that we have to bring in a few players to mount a serious challenge next season (note: he says  "I haven't spoken to (chairman) Daniel (Levy) about it but I'm sure he's got to be positive. Where do you go if you don't do that?).  Finishing 6th has its merits as we can focus on aiming for the top without the distraction of CL fooball.  :ohyeah:

Link to story http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6909518,00.html

So, assuming we will bring in new blood, who would we want to dispose of and who would we bring in (and for what reason?)

Offline Lowestoft Yid

• Season Ticket: No
Re: If I was the Manager
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »
it's ok to say were gonna keep all our best players, but we all know that if a player wants to go then he's pretty much got no future at the club.
    I think the 1st thing to do is get people like Keane +Bentley off the books. He also needs to think about the CB's, Woody and King as good as they are, they just don't play enough and we need consistinsy at the back. I would also get rid of Pav, i know some won't agree with that but he's not good enough in my opinion.
    We need to bring in a solid keeper, top class striker and maybe an injury free CB. Walker looks like he could do a job for us a RB. I could give you a long list of names we should bring to the club, but i'm sure there wage demands will put an end to that( and no CL)

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:46:56 AM »
We don't need a complete rebuild just some slight improvements. Some of the players out on loan have done well and should be retained and given a chance eg Walker and Naughton some will no doubt be sold although we may have trouble shifting Keane and Bentley for a decent price. Centre back is an area that needs attention and we all know about the forwards. Harry loves Crouch so I don't see him going, and I think Defoe could come good again, so I'd give him till January. I like Pav but he is likely to go as we need to make room and he looks most vulnerable. The 'keeper for me is the biggest dilemma whether to persevere with Gomes and hope he can cut out the gaffes which have plagued this season or go for a new guy who, for all we know, will be no better. With no CL, and possibly no European football at all, getting players out of the top drawer will be tough, but thats what Harry gets paid for. It should be an interesting summer. Hopefully we will emerge from it with a better squad ready for a proper challenge for the title. Or at the very least to get back in the CL. 

Offline Holtspur

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »
I agree that we don't need a complete rebuild. Gomes is an enigma - just when he pulls of some amazing saves, he then makes howlers - if Parks can work on him a bit more, I think he will stabilise and grow in stature - he certainly gives the impression that he loves the club.
I think we need a quality CB and LB as we dont have real cover for BAE as Bale is prefered at LM (or he may go anyway). It is a shame that Ledley and Woodgate seem to be long term injury cases as they are quality on their day, but I can see them being let go. With our man hopefully coming back from Villa, our RB looks OK with Charlie there too.
We definately need more potency up from as we have had to juggle with 3 instead of 4 strikers since January. Interesting point here though; is Harry moving more to 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 instead of 4-4-2? Maybe that was why he let Keane go out on loan without replacing him, creating a long term place for VDV. 
We need a big name to come and surprise everyone, just like when Sugar brough in Klinsmann. I wonder if Beckham would still be interested knowing there's no CL next season - Harry seems to think he would be a good influence at the club - I'm not so sure about him though.

Offline bigv

• Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 02:58:32 PM »
I hereby declare that the next spurs fan who mentions sir david beckham be shot with balls of their own s**te. Good day.

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:10:37 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, introducing Redknapp's newest star player! WES BROWN. [crowd goes wild]
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:24:49 PM »
I hereby declare that the next spurs fan who mentions sir david beckham be shot with balls of their own s**te. Good day.

And any other s**t we can find !!!!!!!!

I think it's time to start the David Beckham is an overrated tosser campaign !!!!

:nope:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 05:26:06 PM »
It's just occurred to me that all our problems actually started when Beckham joined us...........

:tickedoff:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »
Guys we dont need a big name we need a player that will work his bollox of for the side, has the skill to compliment his work rate and is committed to us.  Mercenaries are not wanted, those who bring a media circus are not wanted, those looking for one last pay day can f**k off.

The Beckham circus, look at our results since all that bollox not saying that is the reason but come on can ya really say its helped, has any player improved due to Beckham walking on water in our training ground, like f**k they have!

Keep Gomes but swap him for Cudicini for a game or 2 so parks can work on his confience etc after a gaffe as it does effect him, you cant question he is a top keeper but the gaffes are happening too much so time out is needed.

We need LB cover and comp for BAE, RB cover and comp for charlie and a long term replacement which will be walker I hope.  CB cover as Kaboul & Daws are our future there but they need competiton and cover for injury.

Our midfield we are stacked out with talent for now and I hope it stays that way with none moving on.

Ship out for by way of sell not loan Keane, Bentley, Dos Santos, Hutton, Kran (as he wants out) retire King and Woody.

Ship out the one trick pony Crouch who causes us to lump up the ball which is so f**king useless as a tactic and put some faith in a Defoe & Pav strike partnership + then decent competetion/cover or if playing 4-4-1-1 bring in an out and out preditor as a lone striker as none of the ones we have are good enough for that role (in which case we will need 2 of these types)!

Most importantly we must keep Modders, Lennon, Bale, VdV, Daws, Kaboul, BAE, THudd, Sandro, Rose, Walker  Arry must convince these players there immediate and long term futures are with THFC and we can achieve our clubs ambitions!

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Holtspur

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »
It's just occurred to me that all our problems actually started when Beckham joined us...........

:tickedoff:
I was thinking the same, which is why I put a caution at the end of my post. Its all gone Pete Tong as soon as the South African arrived too, but I see why Harry has bought him as he can defend as well as hold up the ball in midfield - still prefer Krankers to him though, but I think he's a lost cause as far as Harry is concerned, so I reckon he'll be shipped out with King, Woodgate, Bentley, Hutton and  Keane. That will save a few bob on wages! We have a brill midfield and I'd like to hold onto O'Hara as the guy plays his heart out, but think he will go retaining Danny Rose as a young LM prospect (that goal against Ars*nal last season was magnificent - wasn't it goal of the season on Sky?)

Offline Holtspur

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
Guys we dont need a big name we need a player that will work his bollox of for the side, has the skill to compliment his work rate and is committed to us.  Mercenaries are not wanted, those who bring a media circus are not wanted, those looking for one last pay day can f**k off.

The Beckham circus, look at our results since all that bollox not saying that is the reason but come on can ya really say its helped, has any player improved due to Beckham walking on water in our training ground, like f**k they have!

Keep Gomes but swap him for Cudicini for a game or 2 so parks can work on his confience etc after a gaffe as it does effect him, you cant question he is a top keeper but the gaffes are happening too much so time out is needed.

We need LB cover and comp for BAE, RB cover and comp for charlie and a long term replacement which will be walker I hope.  CB cover as Kaboul & Daws are our future there but they need competiton and cover for injury.

Our midfield we are stacked out with talent for now and I hope it stays that way with none moving on.

Ship out for by way of sell not loan Keane, Bentley, Dos Santos, Hutton, Kran (as he wants out) retire King and Woody.

Ship out the one trick pony Crouch who causes us to lump up the ball which is so f**king useless as a tactic and put some faith in a Defoe & Pav strike partnership + then decent competetion/cover or if playing 4-4-1-1 bring in an out and out preditor as a lone striker as none of the ones we have are good enough for that role (in which case we will need 2 of these types)!

Most importantly we must keep Modders, Lennon, Bale, VdV, Daws, Kaboul, BAE, THudd, Sandro, Rose, Walker  Arry must convince these players there immediate and long term futures are with THFC and we can achieve our clubs ambitions!
Great post Metal - just realised a lot of my sentiments are already in yours - are you my long lost twin? lol

Offline Spurs218

• Hero: Zokora
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
Can we just buy a striker please? I mean seriously please? I'll pay double next year if we just buy a blood striker? please? I want goals, goals and GOALS! PLEASE!
"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

RIP: Sir Bill Nicholson

Offline Holtspur

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 10:33:44 PM »
Agree. Someone who is hungry and can convert the so many chances the strikers have been given this season!

Offline bigv

• Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 10:51:41 PM »
Missed the boat  with suarez I think. Dont think levy will sanction a big  marquee signing.  Crouch  needs to go before we bring in any new names.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:22:56 AM by bigv »

Offline Holtspur

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »
I know Harry likes the Uraguyan guy Forlan, and he apparantly made enquiries before.......is that why is was at the Athletico match at the weekend again? Think he's big bucks, but is he a spent force?