SpursNetwork

Would We Benefit From A Decent Director Of Football?

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
  • Season Ticket: No
Would We Benefit From A Decent Director Of Football?
« on: February 09, 2011, 04:46:11 PM »
With the exception of VdV we have not fulfilled ambitions in the last 2 transfer windows...... both for bringing players in and shipping out those who will not be part of the team set up.

Is it time we looked again at a Director of Football to help focus on these areas as part of their role and allow Arry to focus on the team performance, issues and prending matches?

If I recall David Pleat was the first in 1998, then Frank Arnesen who did a cracking job followed by Comolli who dug up some reasonable players and some right stinkers but was key to the Jol departure.

If we were to go down that route again, who?

Just wondered what other THFC die hards think would be best for our club to help take us forward!

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline aspursfan

Re: Would We Benefit From A Decent Director Of Football?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »
I'd like to see what happens in the next transfer window before even looking at that. If we'd actually brought in one of the strikers we supposedly made huge bids for in the last window I think we'd be mostly satisfied. You can't force teams to sell or players to agree to come. Hopefully the striker situation will be sorted out in the next window.
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »
a decent D of F would definately be a good thing.... as opposed to an indecent one...

ironically.... and despite my initial euphoria of him coming to Spurs..... Vaart has been a bad signing for us, despite the obvious goals/assist ratio suggests..... overall, a bad decision for the right reasons..

Pienaar has been a great signing and will add quality WITH BALANCE to the team/squad and for a very low price of 3m..... Khumalo, again for the price, has been good as he adds depth to a vulnerable position and brings pace, intl experience with ability for relative peanuts.... good decisions for good reasons..

Vaart will continue to make good stats for himself.... sadly, at the cost of the team overall

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 07:03:36 PM »
Here we go again
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:54:48 PM »
not this time.... the beginning is also the end on this occasion.

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 07:57:48 PM »
I get the feeling that Mr Levy fancies himself as Director of football. When ever Harry speaks about transfers it's always Daniel says so and so's available or do I want that player or The Chairman handles that stuff. It doesn't sound like Harry gets involved until the last minute of any possible deal. I dont really like DOF's they seem to undermine the Manager and bring in players that the man in charge of picking the team doesn't want in it. In this day and age Managers dont really get involved in training, there are legions of coaches to do that. The Manager might stand about watching and shouting but the real training ground work is done by the staff. Actually when you think about it if The Chairman deals with wages and transfers and the coaching staff do the training ground work apart from standing shouting at the team on a Saturday and having a laugh with the blokes from Sky Harry doesn't really do that much.   

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
trouble with giving managers too much power in transfers and offering them carte-blanche especially with incoming players is that theres always the potential for a manager to be more interested in lining his own pockets by getting agents to agree secret payments in exchange for their clients (players) being given lucrative multi-million pound contracts...... the players ability may become secondary to that particular consideration.....

Arry..... Mandaric..... bank accounts in tax-havens..... little known African players (and their agents) busting a gut to get contracts with clubs enjoying the pigs-trough of Premiership largesse...

brown envelopes are sooooo passe..

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:13:17 PM »
Actually when you think about it if The Chairman deals with wages and transfers and the coaching staff do the training ground work apart from standing shouting at the team on a Saturday and having a laugh with the blokes from Sky Harry doesn't really do that much.   

Ya missed out and flap his gums in The Sun and other tabloids  :up:

The Comolli situation was so damaging for us I personally dont think we would go down the route of a DOF for sometime if ever again whilst Levy is chairman and for many reasons pointed out by Taimedowne..... there ya go thats my view of to Reflex now!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 08:17:18 PM »
not sure Holy Comolli was THAT damaging at Spurs.... unless it was to the managers he conspired against..

he did bring in relative unknowns like Berbatov, Zokora, BAE, Ghaly, Bent, Kaboul, Taarabt and even a chap called Bale during his tenure.... still dont like the guy, as he is rather a snake-in-the-grass.... totally untrustworthy and unprincipled... IMO of course..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:30:49 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 08:55:06 PM »
Although Harry gives it the old "i leave it to the chairman" i dont really believe that is how we currently work.

Harry said when he arrived he didnt want that type of working relationship as it is only he as the manager that knows what he needs as a player. Where we fell down with Camolli is we let the boy buy players left right and centre and it never seemed to be the type of player the fans or Jol could see we were crying out for.

I could imagine HR starts by telling Levy he needs a striker, throws a few names into the frame and then Levy does the rest. I see no problem with that as if we left everything to Harry we would be skint by now.

If your question is would we benefit having some sneaky f**ker behind the scenes tapping up players so we actually have a plan when the transfer window opens and we can put 'the scatter-gun' away then i am all in favour.

As long as HR thinks they will fit into the system that is fine by me, i dont care how/who buys them.

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »
If your question is would we benefit having some sneaky f**ker behind the scenes tapping up players so we actually have a plan when the transfer window opens and we can put 'the scatter-gun' away then i am all in favour.

As long as HR thinks they will fit into the system that is fine by me, i dont care how/who buys them.
Good points. Although it's hard to believe we don't already have a few of these sneaky individuals doing that. Perhaps a DOF could deploy them a little bit earlier!  :nods:

I'm still very interested to see what business we do in the summer.