SpursNetwork

now then..... where'd YOU play him ??

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
now then..... where'd YOU play him ??
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:44:28 PM »
and do try to bear in mind that he is a free-scoring attacking player even from midfield or upfront in a 2 (or 3)..

for me, I'd play him, in rotation with Defoe, as a 2nd striker.... we STILL dont have the ideal forward to be a lone-striker but I'm actually coming back to the idea that 4-4-2 is in fact the best formation.... for teams that have the players to pull it off. We do.... teams like Liverpool do not..

I'd play him upfront to the left of Pav..... where Defoe also plays... I think as a natural left-footer playing leftside forward, he would have it easier in hitting the ball across goal rather than just cutting inside (a la Defoe).... this will I suspect enhance Pav's scoring chances and could well be an ideal-pairing..

Defoe - Pav....... 2 poachers forced to play together, both right-footed...

vd - Pav..................... vd is a natural provider as well as being able to score.... the magician + the hunter...... abit like Cassano-Pazzini pairing upfront for Sampdoria (the best in Italy)...

vd can also play just off Crouch in a 4-4-1-1..... or even wide left or wide right in the midfield... ideal for filling in for Lennon & Bale when theyre rested etc...

exciting times ahead..

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: now then..... where'd YOU play him ??
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 06:12:12 PM »
         Gomes
Corluka/Kaboul--Bassong/Dawson-- King-- BAE
Lennon/VDV--hudd--modric/palacios--bale/Niko
       -- VDV-
      Crouch/Defoe/Pav
COYS!

Offline SomersetYiddo

• Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:15:49 PM »
Your right where you say we still have not got a ideal forward in lone striker, but i would play him where he plays best just behind the front two. He will fit into the side perfectly i reckon even if our midfield is abit over run, VDV is probably the best out of the lot but they all have different roles. If we are short up front we could definatly play him there maybe next to Defoe or Pav would be good. Cant wait to see him tear WBA apart! COYS

Offline AuburnSpur

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 06:20:46 PM »
If Crouch plays like he did against YB @ home, VDV's the perfect complement playing in support of Crouch in a 4-4-1-1.  Keep Hud & Sandro in the middle, with Gio & Lennon out wide.  Play Bale at LB, Gallas & King at CB, and (not sure of best choice) at RB.  That's a heck of starting lineup, with starter-quality players in reserve.

Link to great audio commentary from Graham Hunter about VDV:
http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/kickoff/blog/2010-08-31/hunter-van-der-vaart-was-golden-child-reason

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 06:29:39 PM »
But for home games, we won;t play 4-5-1

I think away games for the CL is 4-5-1 looking for draws.

Home games
------------------- Gomes ---------------

Corluka --- King ----- Gallas ---- Bale

Lennon --- Hudds -- VDV ---- Modric

-------------- Crouch -- Defoe ---------

Away Games
------------------- Gomes ---------------

Corluka --- King ----- Gallas ---- BAE

------------ Hudds -- Sandro-----------

Lennon---------- VDV ----------- Bale

------------------- Crouch -------------------
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:31:18 PM by Biggs »

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 06:37:27 PM »
I think Biggs formation might be safe to bet.

I can see us playing 442 instead of a traditional 451 or 4231 at home in champs league.

Although i would like to highlight how are we going to play in the prem.

lets say 'Arry still wants a standard 4 - 4 -2 or he might go 4-3-3 with the fullbacks bombarding the wings..

i can see us playing

Charlie- Dawson - King/Gallas -BAE
Lennon- Hudds    -    VDV          -Bale
            Modders
                          Crouch/Pav

OR

Charlie- Dawson - King/Gallas - BAE

Hudds       -       Sandro

VDV

Defoe    -   Crouch  -  Pav

With VDV playing behind the 3 strikers as a box to box midfielder!

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:43:47 PM »
no reason why we can't play him as a striker in a 4-4-2....  the guy has a great football-brain and will know when to and play between-the-lines... I think we have enough games to rotate him with Defoe as a striker... we will need 4 strikers for the season as we play a 4-4-2..... think Keano will be saved for Carling and FA Cup...

I like the idea of Bale and Lennnon in the wide-middie positions with licence to roam infield.... this gives our very able fullbacks a chance to join the party with overlapping runs that can occupy space/defenders, as well as supply crosses with L-n-B supporting the strikers..

personally, I'd prefer 2 good solid allrounders in CM rather than have Modric there..... if Sandra can live up to expectations then I can see Modric being sold next season... or even January.

Offline CountPuchi

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 06:56:14 PM »
True he can play as a 2nd striker or Attacking midfielder in another way to say it.

Its a hybrid of 442 or 451 and that isnt a bad option really. With our wingers bombarding inside *Gio's specialty* that would allow Bae/Kaboul *Our fastest wing backs* to bombard and go up leaving our CM to back up the 2 CB.

In either way we might be doing a chelsea haha! since thats how they play

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 07:12:10 PM »
but I would use vdv as a striker alongside Crouch/Pav.... preferably Pav (I think he has better movement and also vd could bring out the best in him as he wouldnt compete with him for goals the way Defoe would)....

the benefit of the 4-4-2 is that using 2 mobile strikers well, you can pin back the entire back4 .... this creates the space in the midfield for good moves... if you compare Spurs games to others playing a 4-5-1/4-3-1 you'll notice that the games are very congested in the midfield and its hard to play a flowing game...

vd would be used in the same way Keano has played for Spurs for years alongside another striker.... upfront but occasionally between-the-lines to drage a defender there and create space behind...

Offline ozoha

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 08:19:33 PM »
I'd play him in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Using him as an attacking midfielder changing position with Modric. Bale with license to roam forward and Lennon providing width. With the players we had at our disposal, I believe that's the best formation.

-----------------Gomes ---------------

Corluka --- King ----- Gallas ---- Bale

------------ Hudds -- Sandro-----------

Lennon---------- VDV ----------- Modric

------------------Pav -------------------

Audere et Facere!

Offline Derry-Yid

• Hero: Teddy Sheringham
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »
Some great line-ups there....i think he has to be played in the hole to get the best out of him....i personally think he would be wasted stuck out on either wing....he has to be played through the middle imo....i still cant believe he has signed....i have to get over to the lane this season to see him play in the flesh(not that cheap when you live in N.Ireland).

New Song for him:

He's Dutch, he's a yid,
Cost a third of what Milner did,
He's van der vaart, van der vaaaaart!'                                          
"It's been my life, Tottenham Hotspur,
and I love the club."

Offline CountPuchi

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 11:34:18 PM »
In the hole would mean its either Modders or VDV. Either way we will see @ the next match. I cant wait really!! If he does assist + scores then i will say he is our messiah if we are to win the league by the end of the season.

I know im not making sense just that it aint wrong to dream :D

Offline Dom07Tottenham

• Hero: Gareth Bale
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 03:41:36 AM »

I haven't previously commented since this deal went through, so whoo, f%#* yeah, awesome, I was happy all day, I was dreading bad news but was incredible when the clearance came through. You can't see me jumping around fist pumping in the background can you and thank you Daniel Levy, I hope you season ticket holders, thank him in song for this one. Anyways....not sure if anyone said it but I think he will get number 11, as 23 is taken by Cuidicini. 7 goals and 7 assists in only 18 starts lasts season for Madrid, I am sure he could emulate that if not better it, there will be tremendous pressure on him, but he should be use to it after playing for Madrid in the pressure cooker.

VDV is an attacking mid use him at his best position, attacking mid, I don't think playing him as a striker is the way to go, if it is a really tough away game in CL, a 4-5-1 with him behind the lone striker would work but the only mid, that I would play up front is Dos Santos who is a winger and plays up front for Mexico. VDV is versatile but lets play to his strengths, and not put extra pressure on him by playing him out of position. Playing behind the strikers, is a great spot for him, there would be less defensive pressure on him than if he played upfront, when fit I believe Harry will stick with Crouch and Defoe upfront, VDV behind them would make a great triangle, and provide creativity for them, and take some heat of the strikers as he is a goal scoring threat and open it up a little more so than Modric, as Modders the little maestro lacked the killer shot at times.

I think Biggs has it pretty much right, and that Harry will go with this formation, and its one formation I suggested before the transfer even went through, so I like his thinking there ha ha, my only qualm is Bale is our most potent attacking weapon, at LB does he have the freedom to run like he does at LM, the dilemma is RVD is true quality so we must accommodate him, as well as Modric, and Bale.
The only other thing here is Lennon, Modric, and Van Der Vaart, are all smaller in stature, RVDV being the more built one out of the 3, Modders can get stuck in and make a tackle, but playing them all together this formation defensively may be a little weaker, with Hudd being by far the most competent in defence out of the four but is that enough to break teams down in the middle? It may well be, so I am eager to find out. Yes we played Modders with Hudd in the middle last season, but we also played Bale with them, who is quite decent defensively so It wasn't a problem.

For away tough away games I think Biggs has it spot on again, the only thing is I don't expect Sandro to start already alongside Hudd, and despite his recent form he Harry will rather play Palacios along side Hudd. But eventually if Sandro impresses enough in training and proves his work ethic to Harry much like Pav, Dos Santos, Bale, who haven't walked into the team because of their talents, and had to show Harry they will work hard on the pitch also.

I believe Sandro will eventually take Palacios's position there, but in due time, it will be very interesting to see how long before Harry gives him a chance, he is one of Harry's signings, well while he was in charge anyway so maybe he will feature sooner than later (is more Levy's signing again, as he setup the partnership with Nacional a while back, and brokered the deal).

And one final thing, yes, yes, yes! Rafael Van Der Vaart, had to say his name.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:46:07 AM by Dom07Tottenham »

Offline Dom07Tottenham

• Hero: Gareth Bale
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 04:00:39 AM »
 How many have rubbed Gareth's nose in his comments about "Fan Der Vaart", prior to the signing? Anyways spirits are high, he is a fan now and thats all that matters, and I for once will let it go.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:03:15 AM by Dom07Tottenham »

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 10:29:05 AM »
rubbing my nose in what exactly ??.... as I recall I was positive about the deal as soon as it became a real goer (in Arry's words) and I thought that he would be a good addition to balance the striking options: 2 big uns 2 little uns).... I only poo-poohed the idea at 1st cos I thought it was a silly made up story (at the time it looked like we'd get Babel)..

as for playing vdv behind 2 strikers, I think thats too atacking an option and will leave us very open defensively - remember Wigan game for 10mins before they scored..

I'd still play him as a striker, but the way Keano played as a striker: dropping off as/when needed....