SpursNetwork

"we Can Break Gang Of Four"

Offline EasyEazy

• Season Ticket: Yes
« on: May 15, 2007, 09:35:08 AM »
By Mike McGrath, PA Sport

Michael Dawson is confident Tottenham can challenge the Premiership's big four next season with the right investment over the summer.

Spurs finished 'best of the rest' for the second year running following victory over Manchester City on Sunday and were eight points behind Ars*nal and Liverpool.

Boss Martin Jol will look to address the left flank of his team in the summer and has also been linked with a striker to support Dimitar Berbatov, Robbie Keane and Jermain Defoe.

Dawson believes the right additions will see Spurs building on their fifth-placed finish and also challenge in the cups again.

"I think if we make a couple of good signings we can take on the top four next season," said the 23-year-old.

"We've got a good squad and I'm sure the club will be looking to build on it.

"We have finished fifth two years running and hopefully we can go one better next year and get in the Champions League."

Reaching the latter stages of three competitions meant Spurs played 59 games last season, 19 more than the 2005/06 campaign, which stretched the squad.

Dawson featured in all but one of Spurs' games, a remarkable achievement given his injury problems earlier in the his career. His form earned a call-up to the England B friendly against Albania on May 25 and he hopes eventually to earn his first full cap after being on standby for the World Cup a year ago.

"I'm pleased with my contribution this year - I've got to be," said Dawson, who was rewarded with a fresh contract last week to keep him at White Hart Lane until 2012.

"I've played many games and the team has finished fifth and overall it's been a good season.

I'm taking it one step at a time. I will go away with the B team and see what happens. I'm not tired, I get my rest an I look after myself.

"I have to be realistic. The Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea players aren't in the B team and I'm sure they will all come back in for the full England games. Fingers crossed I will still be in the squad."

As well as breaking into the top four, Dawson wants to end the club's trophy drought since 1999.

"We're disappointed not to win anything after going so close in all the cups, but hopefully we can go one better next season and win something," he said.

Ledley King's feet problems since Christmas meant Dawson assumed the role of leader in defence, although they were still prone to conceding without their skipper.

At the other end, Berbatov, Keane and Defoe scored more than 50 goals between them. Berbatov's impact has inevitably led to transfer speculation but Jol and chairman Daniel Levy insists the club will not sell their assets this summer. Berbatov has also expressed his happiness at White Hart Lane.

Dawson added: "Berba says he wants to stay and that's fantastic. The fans love him, so do the players - he's a great footballer.

"Berba has played so well that he's bound to have other clubs watching him, but he's happy at the club."

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 02:08:07 PM »
That will be our main aim next season to gate crash the top four but first we need to invest to do it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 02:11:38 PM by Dj Frisky »

Offline ct5845

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 04:38:58 PM »
Long as we don't do a leeds to get there!