SpursNetwork

My first post: Defoe could be a winger

« on: May 12, 2007, 06:27:44 PM »
For the last couple of seasons there has been this discussion about whether Defoe and Keane could both play together, or should they just alternate to play with Mido and now Berbatov.

I would like to see Defoe given a run as a left winger, with Lennon back where he should be on the right wing. Lennon has enough trouble putting across a decent centre from the right wing let alone the left. He is too predictable on the left, he will always cut back inside. Defoe of course would also try to cut in and shoot, as is his way, but with some regular practice he might just be able to become a goalscoring winger on the left side. That way we could play all three of our star forwards.

Over the years the very best sides have always had two out and out nippy wingers. Somebody invented wingbacks but with the odd exception you usually end up with a wingback who doesn't defend that well and can't cross the ball either!! When Spurs were in their prime in the sixties they always had two wingers. The full backs defended and seldom went too far past the halfway line. Its worth a try lets give it go. What do you think???

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 06:42:30 PM »
Welcome..

Defoe aint left footed and certanly isnt a winger!

I say leave him up front - where he is most effective!

COYS!!
COYS!

Offline Daniisco

• http://spursnetwork.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 06:48:23 PM »
I like your thinking. But I wouldn't have Defoe as an out an out left winger, I'll have him and Berba upfront with Keane in the hole. With the front line having the freedom to run the channels to find space.

My Midfield and attack;

--------------Zokora-------------
--Lennon-----------------Jenas--
-------------Keane----------------
------Berba----------Defoe-------

Obviously if we get an out an out left winger he would take jenas' position.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 06:56:14 PM »
Quote from: dedleysting;8248
Welcome..

Defoe aint left footed and certanly isnt a winger!

I say leave him up front - where he is most effective!

COYS!!

I think he can use his left foot I have seen him score a few with his left. I know he isn't a winger yet !!  but it would get him in the team and he would be a better bet than Lennon on the left. Obviously if we can buy a bona fide winger that would be better. It is a waste not having Defoe in the side. We should experiment more. Who knows , he may be a great centre half in the making!! (only joking, he would need a step ladder)

Berba's girl

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »
I have to agree with Daniisco. Nice thought but I can't see it ever happening. Keane in the hole with JD & Berba up front might work for certain matches.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 07:36:43 PM »
First of all Defoe aint a left winger and he is not left footed. I have to agree that Jermain play up front with Berba and Robbie in the hole just like we did in pre season. That worked when we did that and we won the games too so why not give it a try but I know MJ wont do it again. He will stick to the normal the big man little man partnership.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 09:44:24 PM by Dj Frisky »

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 08:28:12 PM »
I just can't see him on the wing especially the left, we need a proper left winger who will get to the byline and wip in QUALITY crosses for berba and  mido. This season we have hardly scored from wing play. Imagine how many more goals berba would get if we had a proper left winger and sorry but defoe is not a left winger. I like the idea tho about him cutting in and shooting because he has got a great shot on him

Offline SpursLad

• Peng.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 10:01:50 AM »
I agree with Daniisco.

Defoe will be far to greedy, he will just put his head down and go. Keep him up front where he is most dangerous.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 12:49:35 PM »
I agree that he's better left up front. He's a good finisher when he wants to be, we just need a new quality winger to feed.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 01:27:52 PM »
maybe you could have defoe in the hole, he seems like he could hit a few from 30 yards and score

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 01:42:52 PM »
Quote from: yido91;8294
wip in QUALITY crosses for berba and  mido.

Im sorry, did u say Mido??

That lad couldn't hit the side of a barn with a machine gun :lol:

COYS!!!!
COYS!

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
What if defoe plaed up top with berba, and keane played just behind them in 'the hole'??

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 08:34:32 AM »
Honestly i don't think Defoe should be a winger. no point trying to change someone's position at this time in there career

Offline -AL-

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 03:02:04 PM »
I don't see JD as a winger...don't believe he would be happy with that position either.
I really liked the solution when keano came for ghaly. Keane behind Berba & JD was awesome. I would like to see that in more games. The only problem I saw in that constellation was, that keano had to do too much. Don't think it's possible for a player to run and serve like this several matches through.
But i honestly haven't much knowledge about tactics in footy and stuff like that, to give a good suggestion or comment about this.
if i had balls, they would be bigger than yours ;)

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 05:36:34 PM »
keane would be a much more suited midfieldeer. convert him.
welcome