SpursNetwork

Winning matches while playing like sh*t

Offline aspursfan

• Season Ticket: No
Winning matches while playing like sh*t
« on: September 24, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »
As discouraging as it is to see performances like our second half against Wigan's 10 men, there's a part of me that's pleased that we're winning games (like Wigan and Wolves) where we're really not playing very well. We lost or only picked up a point from quite a few matches last season when we completely outplayed the opposition, but didn't get 3 points.

Don't get me wrong, we played really well in the first half. I think we passed the ball so quickly that we put Wigan in a state of shock. I don't know what happened second half. Lazy passing, striker needing an eye patch, BAE being a bit too calm...

Also, great pass from Adebayor to set up VDV for the 1st.

"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
Re: Winning matches while playing like sh*t
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 10:27:44 PM »
Yeah I know where your coming from, we were terrific first half even without Defoe, Ade has made a huge difference to the team, we now have someone up front who holds the ball up well and links up/ brings other players into the attack , his vision is subline, the only thing lacking in the first half as was the case with Liverpool last week was the goals to kill the game off, second half we were awful, Ade getting the eye injury never helped matter but, we really couldnt pass the ball well, what the hell Ekotto was doing I have no idea and then after one blunder he then goes and makes another one which we got away with, all Harry needs to do is get the team to keep the ball and play the simple pass instead of doing the stupid stuff, we won the game but we need to play for 90 mins even against 10 men
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:50:32 AM »
To be fair we are not doing much different from alot of games we played last year. The difference is, at the moment, we seem to be scoring while we are dominating games something we didn't do last season......... remember Blackpool !!!!!
'Arry has bought well with Parker and Adebayor (Ok I know he's on loan) and Friedel in goal seems to have given the back four a bit more confidence, like I kept saying last year there wasn't much wrong with the side.

Hopefully we will play well for longer and longer during games and keep scoring and capitilising while we do, and the way the league is shaping up so far it looks like Citeh and Man Ure are going to runaway with it leaving us to scrap it out for 3rd or 4th and who knows maybe the wheels may come off in Manchester!!

:up:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 11:05:30 AM »
I'd rather take an ugly win than a loss with beautiful game. Win is a win.

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:42:15 AM »

If you are only looking at one individual game then I agree. When the final whistle blows we would all rather the three points.

However, when looking at the long term and across the whole season which style of play will win you the most points, playing ugly? or playing beautiful? I think that sometimes you have to play ugly to grind out a result, but if you want to achieve and ultimately win things, then aiming to play beautiful should be the goal. (as long as you can revert to playing ugly and still win, or even scrape a draw when necessary).
Maybe next year...

Offline baldbloke

• Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 01:23:35 PM »
Another 31 pts and we should be safe !!
AVB OUT, AND TAKE LEVY WITH YOU

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »

If you are only looking at one individual game then I agree. When the final whistle blows we would all rather the three points.

However, when looking at the long term and across the whole season which style of play will win you the most points, playing ugly? or playing beautiful? I think that sometimes you have to play ugly to grind out a result, but if you want to achieve and ultimately win things, then aiming to play beautiful should be the goal. (as long as you can revert to playing ugly and still win, or even scrape a draw when necessary).

I agree. To be fair, we were looking very good during the first half against Wigan, the second was typical Spurs though - took the foot off the gas, got punished and were actually lucky not to concede more.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 02:36:44 PM »
Play shyte, win ugly who cares as long as the 3 points are in the bag, right!

We are only going to get that target spot of 4th by getting more points that those teams behind us! right now I would take an ugly win where we play unattractive shyte footi with 3 points at the end of it, than play our beautiful stylish football create loads of chances finish none and get done over in the 93rd minute and walk away with zero or 1 point.

Ade in the early days is looking like what we have been missing for seasons, but I wouldnt bet on him being here after the season ends so I hope the powers that be are sounding out and working on a replacement!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 05:40:13 PM »
Am I missing something here because I thought that we played quite well in the first half and played the ball around nicely. We carved them open 4 or 5 times and should have scored 1 or 2 more before half time, but the second half they came at us and we then decided to try and defend our lead, which we don't do well anyway !!!

Can't see this playing s**te thing, we have been guilty of not putting teams to the sword when we have dominated them but all the games I've seen on TV and on the Web ( Which is most of our games thanks to Biggs and his links ) we seem to playing reasonably well. I know I don't watch from the terraces but I still think our game isn't too shabby !!!!!

???
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Spurs218

• Hero: Zokora
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 08:52:32 PM »
 :o Thought we were superb in the first half yesterday and should have had the game one. Very harsh imo.
"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

RIP: Sir Bill Nicholson

Offline Yiddite

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »
A month further into the season and still hardly a top performance.
Especially when we had rested players midweek.
Lennon and Modric still not firing on all cylinders.
Thanks to VDV for the goals!!!!