SpursNetwork

What Is The Point Of An England Team?

« on: April 25, 2007, 10:24:42 PM »
What is the point of an England team? (or any other national team) How many of you are bothered if any of our players play for England or an equivalent national team…does international football have any real meaning in the modern commercial run game? As far as I see, it just means some of our players could be resting instead of being involved in some meaningless friendly or worse could pick up a long-term injury which dents our chances! ( what about all the fuss when some of ours and other teams players are asked to compete in a competition like the African nations?…double standards?)

Offline SpursLad

• Peng.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 07:45:05 AM »
Have you seen what happens to the country when a major tournament arrives? The thousands of flags outside, people watching the games. That is what it means.

Offline No1spursfan4lyf

england team
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 10:55:30 AM »
when england play in a freindly or just the qualifying its not much its just another game but when it comes to the tournement in my local town in cheshunt at the old pond loads of people gather to celebrate after the game the pubs clear out people come from home, sometimes theres trouble like an argument or u just get idiots who like to cause trouble like throwing glass bottles around but the good atmosphere normaly lasts about 5 hours after the game b4 the idiots start but the atmosphere is amazing bcoz every1 supports the same team

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 06:41:16 PM »
Thats even more stupid than the " Wembley in Birmingham " thread! International football is about passion and pride, but I will say that the England team and staff at the moment don't show a lot of it. Get a passionate manager to do the job like Allardyce maybe and England may be great again.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 07:59:20 PM »
Quote from: Berba's Right Peg;5633
Have you seen what happens to the country when a major tournament arrives? The thousands of flags outside, people watching the games. That is what it means.

:yeahthat:

And its something to aim for and a big honour as a player to reach the international stage and represent his country.

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
  • Hero: Atiba Hutchinson/Jermain Defoe/Harry Kane
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 08:13:41 PM »
The purpose of any national team is to play for the pride of your country, whether that be England, Canada, hell, even American Samoa :th_lolsign:

That's why people get so upset when people snub the country they were born and raised in to play for another. For example I'm sure some Ghanaians harbour resentment towards Gerry Asamoah for playing for Germany. I know a lot of Canadians are upset about Owen Hargreaves, but at the same time they're WTFing about why the hell Marc Bircham is playing for us because he's not really Canadian. ("Grandfather lived in Winterpeg for a few months? WTF kinda excuse is that? He's English, you tools!") I'll bet there are Argentinians upset that Colautti is playing for Israel. And so on and so forth.

(I know, Canada isn't the greatest at football :rofl: At least we're not one of the ten teams sitting at the bottom of the FIFA rankings, though :p)

I AM CANAYIDIAN!
Proudly Canadian, Proudly A Spurs Fan

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 08:14:19 PM »
Hold on I have an answer........is the person who made this thread Scottish?