SpursNetwork

To Handle The Spurs Threat Just Handle Bale??

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
  • Season Ticket: No
To Handle The Spurs Threat Just Handle Bale??
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:13:59 AM »
Okay fellow THFC die hards, what are your views on the following, if teams are able to contain and mark Bale out of the game do they effectively write of our key attacking threat?

Over recent games for me the questions has become more apparent, I have the slight concern that we are becoming a 1 man attacking threat with very little creativity coming from midfield.

Dont get me wrong I love the fact that we have a force such as Bale and his performances this season will definately increase his market value. However are we becoming too dependent on our welsh wing rocket?

We are certainly far more effective with Bale in the side and my worry is that we dont have much creative quality elsewhere and if Bale gets injured long term or teams mark him out of the game do we really have another serious creative attacking option that can break teams down?

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
Re: To Handle The Spurs Threat Just Handle Bale??
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 11:17:21 AM »
No we do not. But hopefully we will soon. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed!! :buck2:
Maybe next year...

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 01:44:49 PM »
I think we do have another option now, I think Andros Townsend is fast becoming a fair replacement for the Welsh Wizard, not yet up to his standard, but nonetheless another option, thoughts please.

:) :) :)
:SN:[font

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:47:13 PM »
Andros certainly has the pace but I really would not want to see him have to step into Bales shoes just yet.

Without Bale in the team where else do our attacking threats really lie?

I think Dembele is the next best option but has yet to settle the injury didnt help either.  Sigs is out of his depth IMO and is at best a squad player he will never light up and game or change the tide IMO.

Offline dimexi

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 04:59:17 PM »
Andros certainly has the pace but I really would not want to see him have to step into Bales shoes just yet.

Without Bale in the team where else do our attacking threats really lie?

I think Dembele is the next best option but has yet to settle the injury didnt help either.  Sigs is out of his depth IMO and is at best a squad player he will never light up and game or change the tide IMO.

I agree, Andros may develop into a good player, but has not shown enough yet to warrant relying on him when Bale is unavailable. I think Carroll looks to have greater potential and good develop as a creative midfielder in the future. But the problem is we need others who are already able to produce on the big stage. Dembele is able to change a game and can turn defence to attack very swiftly, but we still need someone who can pick out the crucial pass, think three steps ahead and can contribute with goals. Not too much to hope for then?
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:17:04 PM »
Okay fellow THFC die hards, what are your views on the following, if teams are able to contain and mark Bale out of the game do they effectively write of our key attacking threat?
No, I think we are strong enough to survive with him marginalised.

Over recent games for me the questions has become more apparent, I have the slight concern that we are becoming a 1 man attacking threat with very little creativity coming from midfield.
To be honest I look at the whole team rather than individuals and I think we are starting to mould together.

Dont get me wrong I love the fact that we have a force such as Bale and his performances this season will definately increase his market value. However are we becoming too dependent on our welsh wing rocket?
When Gazza was playing for us we relied on him too much. If he wasn’t in the team more than not we lost. We are not in that position.

We are certainly far more effective with Bale in the side and my worry is that we dont have much creative quality elsewhere and if Bale gets injured long term or teams mark him out of the game do we really have another serious creative attacking option that can break teams down?
Again I’ll repeat what I said above. It is team work and I think we can lose key players and still do well (providing we don’t lose too many or have too many injuries). At the beginning of the season we were finding our feet. I think we are starting to knit together well.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »
I think we do have another option now, I think Andros Townsend is fast becoming a fair replacement for the Welsh Wizard, not yet up to his standard, but nonetheless another option, thoughts please.

:) :) :)

I think he is getting there. He is still young. I remember when Bale was finding his feet people had their doubts about him. Also didn't we not win a game - at the beginning - when he was in the team?
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 06:13:32 PM »
Yeah I recall Bale had a record of having never won a game in the league with us until we beat Chelsea upon his return from injury a few seasons ago.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »
Yeah I recall Bale had a record of having never won a game in the league with us until we beat Chelsea upon his return from injury a few seasons ago.

That's the one. :up:
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline dimexi

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 07:49:50 PM »
Bale was bought as a left back and then rarely played, especially after his injury. Then Harry started playing him but he played badly and replaced him with BAE. The following season BAE was out injured and Bale came in and did well and when he came back Harry could see his potential in a more attacking role.

His first win for us in the league was as a sub against Burnley and his first start when on the winning side was against Fulham.

(Paraphrased from wikipedia, just so you know that if it is not me talking, I name my sources, not exactly from a reliable football source, but easy to find basic info when needed.  ;) )
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 08:13:01 PM »

(Paraphrased from wikipedia, just so you know that if it is not me talking, I name my sources, not exactly from a reliable football source, but easy to find basic info when needed.  ;) )
Is any source reliable or provable? Sometimes we can only give what we've learnt.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline dimexi

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 09:06:39 PM »

Is any source reliable or provable? Sometimes we can only give what we've learnt.

Well, if i was writing an academic paper then using Wikipedia would be a definite no no. If you want to make a case, you have to cite reliable and respected sources. Which will still give differing views, but at least they have the history, brains and balls to back it up. Whereas, for us bunch of nobodies, using the hopefully accurate information from a site where any Tom, d**k and Harry can go and change. Not such an issue.  :)
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »

Well, if i was writing an academic paper then using Wikipedia would be a definite no no. If you want to make a case, you have to cite reliable and respected sources. Which will still give differing views, but at least they have the history, brains and balls to back it up. Whereas, for us bunch of nobodies, using the hopefully accurate information from a site where any Tom, d**k and Harry can go and change. Not such an issue.  :)

Agreed.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 10:01:39 AM »

I don't think Bale is our only creative attacking option but I do think he is by far and away the best attacking option we have, and yes we are becoming over reliant on him. Dembele I think will become a good option but while Bale and Lennon are in the side we tend to rely on them rather than working it through the midfield using Dembele, not a bad option but if we have no luck down the wings weseem to run out of ideas very quickly. Also both Adebayor and Defoe are more than capable of creating something from nothing but again it would be better to create for them so they can finish things off

According to newspaper reports AVB is very happy with his squad and dosen't see any need to buy in January stating that his squad is more than capable of making the top four !! Once again AVB disappoints, only capable of making the top four surely he should be bigging up the squad and saying that we are still in there with a chance of the title, and saying that he will be keeping his options open at least !! I think that says it all really and don't expect Levy to put his hand in his pocket to buy a mega creative talent if AVB is happy and we are 4th in the League why risk spending any money and possibly challenging for the title, ring any bells, sounds just like last season except 'Arry wanted Cahill and Tevez on loan and got Nelson and Saha on frees !!!!

Expect more of the same this season !!!!

:nope:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline baldbloke

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »

According to newspaper reports AVB is very happy with his squad and dosen't see any need to buy in January stating that his squad is more than capable of making the top four !! Once again AVB disappoints, only capable of making the top four surely he should be bigging up the squad and saying that we are still in there with a chance of the title, and saying that he will be keeping his options open at least !! I think that says it all really and don't expect Levy to put his hand in his pocket to buy a mega creative talent if AVB is happy and we are 4th in the League why risk spending any money and possibly challenging for the title, ring any bells, sounds just like last season except 'Arry wanted Cahill and Tevez on loan and got Nelson and Saha on frees !!!!

Expect more of the same this season !!!!

:nope:
[/quote]

Your right mate. It would appear that we are no longer interested in actually winning anything, we just want top 4 because that is where the money is. At least Arry said we would never right off winning the league and we would give it a go. Whether people like it or not, Levy is using Ars*nal as a business pattern to follow. The trouble is though Mr Levy, it won't work because they have a bigger fan base, and we need to start winning things first.

And please don't tell me anyone that if we get top four we will have money to spend on players, because we have already done that, and Levy didn't spend a penny of it !!
AVB OUT, AND TAKE LEVY WITH YOU