Redknapp angry at to many friendlies

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
  • Season Ticket: No
Redknapp angry at to many friendlies
« on: July 31, 2010, 07:26:53 AM »
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has launched a frustrated rant regarding his club's fixture congestion and the logic of an international week before the new season.

Spurs lost a pre-season friendly to Villarreal on Thursday night and are now due to take on Benfica on Tuesday before a game against Fiorentina on 7th August.

Redknapp will then lose the majority of his squad for the week in the build-up to Tottenham's Premier League opener against Manchester City on 14th August due to international fixtures on 11th August, when England play Hungary.

The White Hart Lane club will then face a UEFA Champions League qualifier in mid-August and their manager is less than impressed with the overload in matches.

"It's crazy," he told a press conference after the defeat to Villarreal. "We pile more games in. The last thing we need really is to be playing games.

"We need to train. I need to get the players on the training pitch because all we do is play and recover.

"I didn't want this game tonight. Too many games have been scheduled and it's a problem."
Meaningless

He added: "Can someone tell me why we have an international week on the week of the season starting?

"They have just been away as a group together to the World Cup. They have come home, they're probably sick of the sight of each other.

"Now they are going to have an international week before we play the first game of the season and then we play a Champions League qualifier.

"I won't see those players from the Saturday night until the Friday before we play Manchester City. I won't see them once, not once.

"How can that be a way to prepare for the start of the season?"

Redknapp continued: "There will probably be one or two players left at the training ground for the whole week before we play Manchester City.

"Why? What is the point in it? A meaningless (international) friendly for what reason?"

I was quite surprised to hear this from harry... I se this on sky sports news on TV and harry said... he didn't want the Villarreal game or the fiorentina game. I would have thought he would have had more input on our friendlies..

seems like we are not getting much preparation done.

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
Re: Redknapp angry at to many friendlies
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 08:53:41 AM »
Its the Engalad friendly that's annoyed him the most I think. I have to agree with Harry when he says why do the England squad need to be together so long and why they have arranged a international friendly days before the start of the domestic season. After all they were together for nearly 2 months just a few weeks ago from the World Cup. Seems bonkers to me. I'd be p****d off as well if I wasn't going to see my players before the K.O. to the new season!

And to top if off we have our Champions league first leg qualifier 3 days after the city game. No wonder Harry is mad with the scheduling!!
COYS!

Offline malnita

• love spurs and plenty of banter
  • Hero: steve perryman
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:31:02 PM »
Totally agree with Harry,this friendly is just another way to pay a sizable chunk off the spiralling costs of Wembley.COYS
malnita

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 01:33:04 PM »
Even though the friendly is stupid~ I think this will also test our resolve on the squad's strength. I hate these things too but heck, if we can only barge through it.. then bring it!!