SpursNetwork

Tottenham Closing in on Bent

Offline SpursLad

• Peng.
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2007, 12:38:34 PM »
Anything over 12m is a waste, 10m and Gardner will do me.

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2007, 12:52:17 PM »
I don't think we should even be going after a striker until the midfield is sorted out. See how much money is left after that and then if we really need another striker go shopping. Upfront is the one area of the team that doesn't really need strengthening provided all last seasons strikers, with the exception of Mido, are staying all we really need is a 4th choice striker. To spend £12 million or more on Bent to then find we cant afford Pederson or whoever just doesn't make any sense to me.

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2007, 02:53:04 PM »
I just cant deceide on Bent, I recognise he is a good player and that, but the price is ridiculous and what with all the permetations of what it could mean to Defoe, who I want to stay (no point throwing 18 goals a season away) just muddies the waters.

But for my forepenneth and apologies if it contradicts any previous line ive given on Bent, but with the benefit of passage of time and recognition I keep changing my mind I think this is the scenario now.

Levy is playing the long game or hardball or whatever you want to call it. We've seen this before from him, he has his policy and is a tough negotiator who doesnt panic buy, he will pay money when a target really is wanted ala Chimbonda but usually holds firm until the seller comes to him.

He knows that Bent has set his mind on Spurs and has already rejected a financially fantastic offer he will not likely match elsewhere, certainly not at Spurs. So in a sense we are in a driving seat.

Levy also knows that Charlton as a relegated side sooner or later are going to  have to acknowledge the harsh realities of Championship football, especially with a want away striker on big money.

As the window approaches Levy is banking on Charlton blinking first and the balance of power shifting towards Spurs and we will secure him at a valuation nearer to ours than theres, perhaps the deal will include appearances or other success add-ons to boost the price but the starting lump will be much lower than the cited £17m, probably even as low as £7m (still more than double what Charlton paid). Mido may even be part of the bargain (IMO).

Bent will fit into our wage structure as he isnt the sort of player we would break it over. But he will be a higher earner in the squad.

Anyway thats how I see it.

My current thinking is if we get Bent for nearer £7-8m than £12-17m mentioned its good business. Anything more is overpaying.
There be dragons

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2007, 03:00:55 PM »
They've been relegated and they are asking for this kind of money for a striker who aint gonna be in the first team. This is not the main issue at the moment the striking department is fine beyond Mido but the others Defoe, Keane and Berbatov all played good football I say we sort our left side midfield out first then think about signing a fourth striker.

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2007, 07:39:16 PM »
I hope you get him, he is quality. :)

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2007, 08:19:25 PM »
Asking WAY too much money and I feel Bent will be pissed next season when they haven't sold him.

Offline SpursLad

• Peng.
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2007, 09:24:26 AM »
Quote from: Gino-Ginelli;13608
I just cant deceide on Bent, I recognise he is a good player and that, but the price is ridiculous and what with all the permetations of what it could mean to Defoe, who I want to stay (no point throwing 18 goals a season away) just muddies the waters.

But for my forepenneth and apologies if it contradicts any previous line ive given on Bent, but with the benefit of passage of time and recognition I keep changing my mind I think this is the scenario now.

Levy is playing the long game or hardball or whatever you want to call it. We've seen this before from him, he has his policy and is a tough negotiator who doesnt panic buy, he will pay money when a target really is wanted ala Chimbonda but usually holds firm until the seller comes to him.

He knows that Bent has set his mind on Spurs and has already rejected a financially fantastic offer he will not likely match elsewhere, certainly not at Spurs. So in a sense we are in a driving seat.

Levy also knows that Charlton as a relegated side sooner or later are going to  have to acknowledge the harsh realities of Championship football, especially with a want away striker on big money.

As the window approaches Levy is banking on Charlton blinking first and the balance of power shifting towards Spurs and we will secure him at a valuation nearer to ours than theres, perhaps the deal will include appearances or other success add-ons to boost the price but the starting lump will be much lower than the cited £17m, probably even as low as £7m (still more than double what Charlton paid). Mido may even be part of the bargain (IMO).

Bent will fit into our wage structure as he isnt the sort of player we would break it over. But he will be a higher earner in the squad.

Anyway thats how I see it.

My current thinking is if we get Bent for nearer £7-8m than £12-17m mentioned its good business. Anything more is overpaying.

Very good post. Levy is a great negotiator and we are definately in the driving seat as he knows if we do get an offer accepted he will come. I hope Charlton do see sense and lower their price for Bent as he would be a great addition.

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2007, 06:31:06 PM »
I agree Levy is a tough negotiator, and i am sure there is a back up plan, someone off the radar that will take everyone by surprise.

« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2007, 12:36:36 PM »
i have heard that if we miss out on bent we will move 4 smith if he hasnt joined the toon by then  possibly beattie aswell please god not beattie but we will get bent 4 13 million plus routledge
we are tottenham super tottenham from the lane