SpursNetwork

Defoe for Benteke

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
  • Season Ticket: No
Defoe for Benteke
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:34:41 PM »
There is talk of us making a bid. What are your thoughts?

Either way, the signs for moving early look promising.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:38:32 PM by RiffHard »
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Defoe for Beteke
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »
I'll go with that. I think Defoe is past his sell buy date.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
Re: Defoe for Beteke
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:49:46 PM »
I agree with both your comments but I don't see this ever happening

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
Re: Defoe for Benteke
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:40:07 PM »
Benteke has had one good season in EPL. I agree that time has come for Defoe to move on, though. For me he is a player who never took the last and most important step, he has had many promising beginnings of seasons, but wheels have always fallen off.

Offline dimexi

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 11:37:13 PM »
Benteke has had one good season in EPL. I agree that time has come for Defoe to move on, though. For me he is a player who never took the last and most important step, he has had many promising beginnings of seasons, but wheels have always fallen off.

I think Benteke is a bit of a gamble too. Yes he did well last season, 1st season for show, 2nd brings the dough as it were. However, the problem is, if not Benteke, then who would we attract for the amount we would be willing to spend. If we get another player of quality too, then I would say it was worth a punt, if we can get him for the right price (also known as levy pence).

If we had more cash and we wanted premiership experience,  then I think Dzeko would be a good fit or Wellbeck
Maybe next year...

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 07:09:22 AM »

I think Benteke is a bit of a gamble too. Yes he did well last season, 1st season for show, 2nd brings the dough as it were. However, the problem is, if not Benteke, then who would we attract for the amount we would be willing to spend. If we get another player of quality too, then I would say it was worth a punt, if we can get him for the right price (also known as levy pence).

If we had more cash and we wanted premiership experience,  then I think Dzeko would be a good fit or Wellbeck
Welbeck scored even less league goals than Adebayor last season.  :D It's hard to say who would suit us and would be willing to sign. Had we tried, maybe we could have signed Andy Carroll who now seems to sign for West Ham. Hulk is reportedly available, but he's just another mercenary (no sane player goes to Russian league for footballing reasons). Wayne Rooney? Hard to say. To be honest I feel we missed the train and sadly many seasons ago. There are plenty of good strikers, but they wouldn't come to us or have just signed for another team (for example Llorente who signed for Juventus).

Also, it's difficult to predict which player would do well for us. Torres who was/is a world class player went to Chelsea in 2011 and actually started performing a few months ago. Reading's Adam le Fondre was playing in League Two a couple of years ago, yet seems to score regularly in Premier League. Go figure...

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 07:40:23 AM »
Assuming that we wouldn't have to add too much money to Defoe, then I would take a punt on Benteke. Its not that I particularly rate him, its just that I think Defoe has had enough chances to make that break, and its just never gonna happen.
Either way, we need shot of Adebayor and bring in another 2 strikers.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 09:48:55 AM »
Assuming that we wouldn't have to add too much money to Defoe, then I would take a punt on Benteke. Its not that I particularly rate him, its just that I think Defoe has had enough chances to make that break, and its just never gonna happen.
Either way, we need shot of Adebayor and bring in another 2 strikers.

Although, I have always liked Defoe, a change would probably resurrect his career. Shame bout Ade, if he goes and joins another EPL club, he would probably score the winning goal against us and have a wonderful season!

There is constant talk about a number of players linked with us and I wonder if any of you believe any of it and if yes, what strikes (no pun intended) you as being near reality. Obviously, the Damiao and/or David Villa saga has gone down somewhat, but there are other rumors an maybe someone knows more?

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
Why not keep Defoe and buy Benteke we only have 2 strikers as it is and giving one away to get another ?

For all his failings Defoe is still an England International and proven Premier League striker, we are not Stoke, Sunderland or Southampton we are Spurs and should be able to attract Benteke anyway without offering Defoe !!!!!

:(
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 02:41:18 PM »
Why not keep Defoe and buy Benteke we only have 2 strikers as it is and giving one away to get another ?

For all his failings Defoe is still an England International and proven Premier League striker, we are not Stoke, Sunderland or Southampton we are Spurs and should be able to attract Benteke anyway without offering Defoe !!!!!

I think now Villa are talking silly money for him. I guess thats gonna be the problem with all the players we go after this summer.

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 02:45:59 PM »
Mario Gomez (Bayern München) is reportedly looking for a new club.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 05:25:47 PM »

Is that really saying a lot seeing as how England is playing of late? That Defoe is a England International. As for Premier league striker? For who? He couldn't even beat Dempsey in the scoring stakes.

I would be quite happy if he was sold; providing they replaced him with something better. Which wouldn't be that hard.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline dimexi

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »

Is that really saying a lot seeing as how England is playing of late? That Defoe is a England International. As for Premier league striker? For who? He couldn't even beat Dempsey in the scoring stakes.

I would be quite happy if he was sold; providing they replaced him with something better. Which wouldn't be that hard.

Say what now?
Are you really trying to tell me Demsey is a better player than Defoe? I don’t think so. As for him not beating Dempsey in the scoring stakes, I would suggest you look at the stats first, before making such a claim.

Dempsey   

Game starts - 32
Subs – 11
Total games played - 43
Goals – 12

Defoe

Game starts – 34
Subs – 9
Total games – 43
Goals – 15

I do not mind us selling Defoe either, providing we find high quality replacements. But like Ugs said, I would rather we kept him to support the squad. We need four good strikers and I think he could be one of those four, especially seeing as Levy is never going to buy 4 new strikers in one go. You seem to have a poor opinion of Defoe, but for me Defoe in the right team, playing to his strengths would still punish most defences. If I could only pick one of Ade, Dempsey and Defoe to stay at Spurs I would pick Defoe, then Ade then Dempsey.
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 08:02:53 PM »

Say what now?
Are you really trying to tell me Demsey is a better player than Defoe? I don’t think so. As for him not beating Dempsey in the scoring stakes, I would suggest you look at the stats first, before making such a claim.
Sorry, I got that the wrong way around. What I meant to say was that there was only 3 goals difference between Defoe and Dempsey and well behind Bale. Which isn’t that good for a striker. He was 17th in the league of top scorers in the Premier league.

As for making such a claim; there is no problem making such a claim if you are prepared to own up if you had made a mistake. Anyway, Defoe is well passed his sale by date.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 01:38:33 PM »

You rate Dempsey higher than Defoe...... that says it all Voice it really does!!

Boy am I glad that your not in charge at White Hart Lane as I don't fancy us playing in the Championship, some of the statements and back tracks you come up with are priceless are you a politician by any chance ?

:nope:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion