SpursNetwork

Sir Alf by Leon McKinstry

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Sir Alf by Leon McKinstry
« on: January 22, 2013, 05:17:26 PM »
I’ve just finished reading an excellent biography on the former Spurs player and Ipswich and England manager. The book is called “Sir Alf” by Leo McKinstry.  This book looks at his Dagenham roots to playing for Southampton and then being transferred to Spurs. Ramsey was part of the famous push and run team that won the League title in season 1950/51. When his playing career finished he managed unfashionable Ipswich Town; from 3rd Division to the first division. On the way he won the League title of the 3rd, 2nd and 1st Division. Becoming only the second club to win the Title of all three divisions (the other being Wolves; but Wolves won them over their history, while Ipswich won them in succession). Because of this amazing feat he was picked to manage England. Before 1966 he predicted England would win the World Title and they did. The book then shows his ups and downs until finally being sacked in 1974. The book shows how he was shabbily treated by the non-entities of the football Association. The book ends sadly on his Alzheimer’s disease and his death in 1999.

The book covers the changes times and how players changed with them; being more willing to work and listen to temperamental and some even acting as prima donnas.  It looks at his time at Birmingham City.

There are some very funny pits in there as well which made me laugh out loud. Alf had a dry sense of humour, but not to everybody’s liking or even understood. I recommend this book highly.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.