Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
  • Hero: Atiba Hutchinson/Jermain Defoe/Harry Kane
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Football League + Conference
« Reply #240 on: April 27, 2013, 09:50:24 PM »
Update time!

CHAMPIONSHIP

With the exception of Millwall and Crystal Palace, every team has a single match left. These two make up a match on Tuesday.

Hull (78) blew their chance to secure automatic promotion something fierce by dropping a 2-0 decision to red-zoners Barnsley (54). Now they absolutely have to win to stay in that auto-promo spot. A draw, and Watford (77) could catch them with a win. A loss, and Watford - who have far superior goal differential - could catch them with a draw. To compound the difficulties, Hull's closer is against champions Cardiff (86), while Watford has Leeds (58).

The other upper-end battles will depend on what Crystal Palace does with its Millwall (55) match. Both teams have something to lose in this match, and a draw would benefit neither side. If Crystal Palace loses, they are under more pressure to beat Peterborough (54) on closing day to simply stay in the playoffs, since they'd have to fend off Nottingham Forest, Bolton (both 67), and Leicester (65, but with an absurdly high goal differential). If they win, they can challenge Brighton & Hove for home-pitch advantage and they're in the playoffs regardless of what any of those teams do.

This one Tuesday match has ramifications at the other end as well. If Millwall wins, they're free from danger of relegation. If they lose - since their numbers currently are identical with those of Sheffield Wednesday in every statistic except losses - they had better hope that Peterborough and Barnsley don't both win, or at least they need to beat Derby (58).

So here are the upcoming important matches:

Tuesday: Crystal Palace vs. Barnsley (already explained this)

Next Saturday:

Watford vs. Leeds United - Watford still has a shot at automatic promotion
Nottingham Forest vs. Leicester City - six-pointer. The winner is in the playoffs if Bolton loses. A draw would put Nottingham in if Bolton loses. If Bolton draws, a Forest win would be sufficient.
Sheffield Wednesday vs. Middlesbrough - Sheff W needs a win to guarantee Championship football for next season.
Huddersfield Town vs. Barnsley - Barnsley needs to win this to get out of the red. Huddersfield can put themselves out of danger just by drawing. If they lose and the three other teams behind them (Millwall, Sheff W, Peterborough) all win, they are relegated because of their abysmal goal differential.
Bolton Wanderers vs. Blackpool - A Bolton win would be sufficient to secure them a playoff spot unless Nottingham Forest were somehow to win by six.
Hull City vs. Cardiff City - If Hull wins, they secure automatic promotion. If they do anything less, Watford can pass them with a win. If they lose, Watford can pass them with a draw.
Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers - Brighton can lock up third place with a win, unless Crystal Palace loses to Millwall in which case they would have it already. :P Wolves still have an ever-so-slight chance of staying afloat - they have to win by five and hope Peterborough and Barnsley both lose.
Millwall vs. Derby County - the importance of this match is derived from the result of the Tuesday match. It only matters what Millwall does in this game, if they lose or draw against Crystal Palace. If they do lose or draw, they have to win to be absolutely sure of safety, although if they draw against CP, a draw here would be enough if Huddersfield loses.
Crystal Palace vs. Peterborough - if they win against Millwall, a win here would be enough to secure home-pitch advantage if and only if Brighton & Hove also loses. Barring an astronomically improbable Brighton loss by fifteen, a draw here would be insufficient for CP.

If the Millwall match ends a draw, another draw would be sufficient to keep them in the playoffs provided Forest doesn't win the Leicester match by six. If Palace loses against Millwall, they have to win or hope either Forest or Bolton loses to stay in the playoffs.
Blackburn Rovers vs. Birmingham - this match only has any importance if Birmingham pulls off an improbable 14-goal bollocking of Blackburn and five teams behind them all win. :P Otherwise, Rovers ought to be fine.

LEAGUE ONE

All said and done, and Tranmere did Doncaster (84) a massive favour by holding Bournemouth (83) to a scoreless draw, putting their fate back in their hands. Doncaster edged Brentford 1-0 to claim the League One title. (Should make for an interesting Championship rivalry next season! ;) )

Playoff matchups are as follows:

(3) Brentford vs. (6) Swindon
(4) Yeovil vs. (5) Sheff U

Sc*nthorpe (48) couldn't beat Swindon by enough, and Colchester beat Carlisle, so that means Sc*nthorpe joins Portsmouth, Bury, and Hartlepool in League Two next season.

LEAGUE TWO

Well, the auto-promo teams remained the same. Port Vale (78) ended the season with another draw, not enough to hold second but enough to stay in auto-promo. Rotherham (79) ended up passing them with their fifth straight win.

The playoff matchups look like this:

(4) Burton Albion vs. (7) Bradford City
(5) Cheltenham Town vs. (6) Northampton Town.

Unfortunately, Northampton kept their playoff spot at the expense of Barnet's (51) League status. They needed a point and a Dag & Red (51) loss. They got the latter but not the former, so goal differential bumps them down to Conference Premier for next season, where they join Aldershot (48).

CONFERENCE NORTH

We knew Chester (107) was going to win long ago, but now the playoffs are officially set to go:

(2) Guiseley vs. (5) Halifax Town
(3) Brackley vs. (4) Altrincham

Corby and Histon (both 44) both got scoreless draws on closing day, so that would have spared Colwyn Bay (49) even if they didn't extend their season-ending win streak to six, which they did courtesy of a 1-0 victory over Gloucester. Corby's goal differential was ever-so-slightly lower (-26 to Histon's -25), so they are going down for next season, joining long-doomed Droylsden and Hinckley, the latter of whom would only have had 13 points even without their two penalties (3 for failing to pay creditors, 3 for failing to play Bishop's Stortford).

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Well, Dover (76) didn't just beat Bromley, they flattened them to the tune of 4-0! So they have home-pitch advantage. Here are the matchups for the Conference South playoffs:

(2) Salisbury vs. (5) Chelmsford
(3) Dover vs. (6) Eastleigh

Hornchurch (44) and Billericay (40), even though they were both eliminated, won their final match.

Predicted league orientation next season for relegated clubs:

Northern League - Droylsden and Hinckley (if they survive).
Southern League - Truro (if they survive) and Corby
Isthmian League - Billericay and Hornchurch

FEEDERS

Northern League

Right down to the last day to determine the champion! Hednesford and North Ferriby United (both 90) are both on splendid form going into the last day; if both teams do win their final match, NFU will win the championship on goal differential, while Hednesford will join FC United of Manchester, Witton Albion, and AFC Fylde in the playoffs.

Isthmian League

The playoffs are set in the Isthmian League, with Whitehawk already having claimed the overall title.

(2) Lowestoft vs. (5) East Thurrock United
(3) Wealdstone vs. (4) Concord Rangers

Southern League

It came down to the wire, but the playoffs are as follows:

(2) Stourbridge vs. (5) Gosport Borough
(3) Chesham United vs. (4) Hemel Hempstead

Had Barwell (69) been able to finish the job against Frome Town, they'd be in the playoffs instead of Gosport. :P

Anyhoo, I'll give a mini-update on Wednesday about the Millwall-CP match. At this point only the Championship and the Northern League haven't wrapped up yet (besides the Prems of course :P ).

I AM CANAYIDIAN!
Proudly Canadian, Proudly A Spurs Fan

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #241 on: April 27, 2013, 09:56:13 PM »
I'm so happy Donny Rovers won the title.

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #242 on: April 28, 2013, 12:32:52 AM »
There are three things one could interpret from that:

1. you have a soft spot for Doncaster
2. you dislike Bournemouth
3. both of the above. :P

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #243 on: April 28, 2013, 12:42:05 AM »
I'm so happy Donny Rovers won the title.

Brentford had a pen in the 90+mins, it crashed off the crossbar. Then Doncaster went sraight up the other end and scored. The game was beening reported on sky at the time it was amazing stuff.

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #244 on: April 28, 2013, 03:52:16 PM »
Wowzers. If Brentford had won that, Doncaster would be in the playoffs and Bournemouth would be the League One champs. :o  Shows you how close it was up top.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

« Reply #245 on: April 28, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »
If you can watch bbciplayer,watch the football league show. Highlights from championship,league's 1 & 2.
It's better then match of the day at times lol :)

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline Chelmsford_yid

« Reply #246 on: April 28, 2013, 06:43:23 PM »
Instead of watching the arse game on the box, I watched Grimsby v Newport instead :)

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #247 on: April 28, 2013, 06:54:05 PM »
There are three things one could interpret from that:

1. you have a soft spot for Doncaster
2. you dislike Bournemouth
3. both of the above. :P
I like Doncaster as they were my local team when I was living in England. I should start following Championship and lower levels more as that's were a real football is being played. No overpaid primadonnas, no wealthy sheikhs etc.

Offline Chelmsford_yid

« Reply #248 on: April 28, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »
I've been to Donny(Doncaster) a few times but only at there old ground. :)

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #249 on: April 28, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »
I've been to Donny(Doncaster) a few times but only at there old ground. :)
Yeah I was there in 2005, so I've only been to the old Belle Vue as well.

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #250 on: April 29, 2013, 12:24:18 AM »
Nice one! :)

I remember from my eJay-using days (before I moved on to bigger and better music software :P )that one of the main community members at the time was from Doncaster. Other than that and knowing a Victoria street named after it, I don't have much of a Doncaster connection, but I don't disrespect them either, especially not now. ;)

Come to think of it, I just checked Cansoc.org and it would seem that Iain Hume (an old-guard Canadian footballer) is there on loan from Preston. I hope they make the loan permanent. I've disliked Preston ever since my brief days of having Wigan Athletic as my first club in England (I still have a bit of a soft spot for Wigan).

If I had to root for a specific League One team, it'd probably be Stevenage. They've had a few Canucks pass through their roster over the last few seasons, most recently Marcus Haber, who scored seven goals for them this season. Not much, I know, but at least it's something. :P

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #251 on: May 01, 2013, 12:37:43 AM »
And the Crystal Palace-Millwall game ended a scoreless draw. :sleep:

That means both sides are in must-win-or-hope-someone-else-loses scenarios. :P

How about this, though? Before the Northern League Season has even had time to finish its regular season, the Southern League has already started the playoffs, and the Isthmian League playoffs start tomorrow:

Gosport 2 Stourbridge 1
Hemel Hempstead 2 Chesham 0

So yeah, the final is the fourth seed against the fifth.  :lol:

Tomorrow, Lowestoft plays East Thurrock and Wealdstone plays Concord Rangers.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:47:45 AM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #252 on: May 02, 2013, 12:57:30 AM »
Lowestoft vs. Concord Rangers in the Isthmian League playoff final.

Lowestoft beat East Thurrock 1-0 while Concord beat Wealdstone 2-1.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »

Mini-update:

CHAMPIONSHIP

It's all said and done in the Championship. Hull (79) was unable to secure a win but still finished in auto-promo position because of Watford (77) losing. Brighton & Hove (75) finished the season on a high note - winners of their last three and four of their last five, and also, on a nine-match unbeaten streak (5-4-0) - to take the other home-pitch spot, alongside Watford.

Leicester (68) gutted out a 3-2 win against Forest (67) and thus enters the playoffs over Bolton (also 68) due to a far superior goal differential. The hero of this match was Anthony Knockaert, who scored the winner in second-half stoppage time to push Leicester into the playoffs, as a draw would have favoured Nottingham.

At the other end, Peterborough (54) lost as Crystal Palace (72) solidified their playoff position, while Barnsley (55) just about won but had to settle for a 2-2 draw against Huddersfield; it ended up being enough to keep the Bulldogs afloat for another season, though. Thus Peterborough joins Wolverhampton (51) and Bristol Rovers (41) in League One next season.

Playoff matchups:

(3) Watford vs. (6) Leicester City
(4) Brighton & Hove vs. (5) Crystal Palace

FEEDERS

Well, North Ferriby and Hednesford both won their matches in the Northern Premier; North Ferriby wins the Northern Premier League Premier Division Title and will be in Conference North next season (first time, I think).

Playoffs:

(2) Hednesford Town vs. (5) AFC Fylde (seeing as Hednesford's last regular season game was against Fylde this should be a very interesting matchup :P)
(3) FC United of Manchester vs. (4) Witton Albion

The Isthmian and Southern playoffs wrap up on Monday. Will post the Northern League playoff sked when it comes about.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #254 on: May 07, 2013, 02:54:34 AM »
Mini-update:

CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS

North: THANK YOU BRACKLEY!!! :dance:  They beat Altrincham 4-2 aggregate after handing them a 3-0 bollocking on the return leg after losing the opener 2-1. Joining them in the final will be Halifax, who beat second seed Guiseley 3-1 aggregate. Guiseley's gotta be a little red after dropping a 2-0 decision on their own ground.

South: Dover just about blew their 3-1 lead in what had to be the worst advertisement for home-pitch advantage that I've ever seen... Dover won 3-1 on Eastleigh's pitch, while Eastleigh would have won 2-0 under normal circumstances. If away goals meant anything in the Conference playoffs, Dover would still have won. But because they don't, Dover needed penalties to make up for their regulation woes; they took penalties 4-2 in spite of not scoring in the previous 120 minutes.

Salisbury was down 1-0 after the first leg but won 2-0 on their own ground to take the tie against Chelmsford 2-1.

The finals are this time next week.

FEEDERS

All said and done in the Southern and Isthmian playoffs. Concord Rangers pulled off a slight upset by beating Lowestoft 2-1, while Gosport Borough beat Hemel Hempstead 5-4 in penalties after finishing regulation and extra time at 2-2.

Given how it's the Southern League that sends one team to each of Conference North and Conference South (usually), there is a possibility of Southern League champions Leamington FC being in Conference North next season. But I'll do a more thorough geographical analysis once the Northern Playoffs are done with. Speaking of which, they start tomorrow (my time zone, later tonight in yours).

Actually, you know what, I'll do the rundown now. Both Northern Premier departers will be in Conference North anyway. :P

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Down from Conference Premier:

Ebbsfleet United

Remaining in Conference South:

Salisbury/Dover loser
Eastleigh
Chelmsford City
Sutton United
Weston-super-Mare
Dorchester Town
Boreham Wood
Havant & Waterlooville
Bath City
Eastbourne Borough
Farnborough
Basingstoke Town
Bromley
Tonbridge Angels
Hayes & Yeading
Staines Town
Maidenhead United

Up from Feeders

Leamington FC (Southern League champs)
Gosport Borough (Southern League playoff winners)
Whitehawk FC (Isthmian League champs)
Concord Rangers (Isthmian League playoff winners)

CONFERENCE NORTH

Down from Conference Premier:

Stockport County
Barrow AFC
AFC Telford United

Remaining in Conference North:

Brackley/Halifax loser
Guiseley
Altrincham
Harrogate Town
Bradford Park Avenue
Gainsborough Trinity
Solihull Moors
Oxford City
Gloucester City
Vauxhall Motors
Stalybridge Celtic
Workington
Worcester City
Boston United
Bishop's Stortford
Colwyn Bay
Histon

Up from Feeders

North Ferriby United (Northern Premier League champion)
Northern Premier League playoff winner (I'd expect Hednesford, but as we've seen, one must expect the unexpected at this level :P )

I AM CANAYIDIAN!