SpursNetwork

Football League + National League

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
  • Hero: Atiba Hutchinson/Jermain Defoe/Harry Kane
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Football League + Conference
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2010, 07:35:27 PM »
Someone pin this and the Paper Talk threads, please?

I AM CANAYIDIAN!
Proudly Canadian, Proudly A Spurs Fan

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2010, 09:50:35 PM »
Someone pin this and the Paper Talk threads, please?

Sure mate will do.  :)

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2010, 08:48:18 PM »
Time for updates :up:

CHAMPIONSHIP

Cardiff (32) and QPR (30) sit one-two at the moment. If the season were to end now, Swansea (26), Coventry (24), Norwich (23) and Reading (22) would be in the playoffs, and five teams would miss by a point (Derby, Burnley, Watford, Pompey, and Ipswich).

At the other end, Bristol City (13) is in the red by goals scored against the North End Scum (13), who have made me pull at what little hair I have left by taking on Canadian Iain Hume on loan, who has two goals for them this season. Middlesbrough and Crystal Palace (both 11) are also in the red.

LEAGUE ONE

Brighton (34) holds a commanding lead, while there's a big logjam immediately thereafter. If the season ended today, Huddersfield (26) would edge Colchester (ditto) for automatic promotion by goal differential, while Peterborough (25), Charlton (ditto), and Southampton (24) would join Colcs in the playoffs.

At the other end, Walsall (11) and Dag & Red (12) are really struggling, while Yeovil (15) is only out by a point, and Tranmere (16) is in the red by inferior goal differential to Notts County and Leyton Orient.

LEAGUE TWO

Close race here. Chesterfield (32) leads, with the other two auto-promo spots held by Port Vale (29) and Bury (28). If the season were to end today, the playoffs would have Shrewsbury (27), Wycombe (25), Rotherham (24) and Torquay (23).

Lincoln (13) and Barnet (12) are in the red, with Hereford only a point out at the moment.

Will do Conference later.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2010, 11:56:46 PM »
CONFERENCE PREMIER

Pretty close at both ends. At the top, you have Crawley (36), AFC Wimbledon (35), and Luton (33) all vying for first, with R&D, Fleetwood (yes, the one that was just promoted), and Newport County (also a new promo) all sitting with 30.

Things are pretty tight at the other end as well. Only three points separate 14th-place Cambridge, 15th-place Eastbourne, and 16th-place Tamworth (all 20) from 20th-place Southport, 21st-place Bath (yes, both were just promoted), and 22nd place Hayes & Yeading (all three of these have 17, and Southport's only outta the red on goal diff). At the bottom, Altrincham (or LAWLtrincham as I've called them for the last couple seasons) are in the toilet again, and how they keep getting out at the last minute escapes and frustrates me. :P That said, they are only last for having fewer goals for than Forest Green - their points, W-D-L record, and goal diff are literally identical. (14 points, 3-5-9, -17)

CONFERENCE NORTH

Only two teams will be relegated from the division this season, for a rather angering reason - another club wound up over unpaid taxes. Ilkeston Town FC are the latest victims. The expunged record kinda cocks up the table, too. :P In any case, Alfreton (34) has the lead, with the two teams promoted from the Northern League - Boston (31) and Guiseley (28)  - sitting 2-3. AFC Telford (26) sits fourth, and another promo team, Nuneaton (23), is fifth, only a point ahead of Workington and Droylsden and three ahead of Solihull and Blyth Spartans.

The bottom of the table with its two-team red zone is pretty close early on, with four teams in only single digits up to this point, of which three - Hinckley, Stafford, and red-zoners Redditch - have 9 points. While one could argue that Ilkeston is last because of their ejection, of the teams still playing, Hyde sits bottom with seven points, although they just came off a win over Harrogate, so it could have been worse for them! :P

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Why Elliott Godfrey left Wimbledon for Boreham Wood escapes me. The Toronto-born English-Canadian dual is playing and scoring, but his team is sucking. :P

Anyway, Braintree and Welling are even in points atop the table (32), but Braintree is ahead on goal differential and have been superior defensively going by their paltry goals-against count - they've allowed all of five goals in 14 matches this season! From there it descends in threes until the end of the playoff bracket, with Bromley being third (29), Chelmsford fourth (26), and Dover winding it up in fifth (23). Ebbsfleet (22), Farnborough (21), and Eastleigh (20) are also looking good. The H&R Block (aka Hampton & Richmond) are looming a slightly more distant eighth (18). I think Godfrey should go back there. Blimey, he never shoulda left:lol:

The other end of the table sees the Isthmian League promos looking piss-poor. Thurrock, though, is dead-last (6), with Boreham Wood (7, one of the promos) and Lewes (9) also in the red. Not by much, though. St. Albans (10) and Dartford (aka Chav City, and the other promo, 11) aren't looking so hot either. Powerage should be happy that Basingstoke seems to be keeping afloat with 15 at the moment.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2010, 05:36:08 AM »
Update time, since it's now December. :P

CHAMPIONSHIP

It seems like QPR (41) can do no wrong. They've gone 19 matches without a loss to start the season and consequently sit five clear of Cardiff (36) on top. Swansea (33) is in third, then you have a 6-point section that spans most of the table - starting with Derby, Norwich, and Coventry (all 30) and ending with Watford, Millwall, and Ipswich (all 24). So it's pretty open. Actually, the only two teams with less than twenty at this point are Middlesbrough (18) and Preston North End (15). Crystal Palace (20) is only in the red by virtue of having allowed three more goals than Sc*nthorpe (35 against 32) as every other stat is bang-on identical between the two.

In terms of Canadians, there are four in the Championship, but only two have seen regular game time or done anything of value - as much as I love to hate Preston and am glad that they are in the toilet, I'm kinda gutted that Iain Hume is there. :P He does have three goals and three assists for them this season. The other one is Simeon Jackson, who plays for Norwich and has four goals and an assist. David Edgar's only played three matches this season and got sent off in one of them, while Jaime Peters can't seem to get things going in Ipswich.

LEAGUE ONE

Not quite so competitive here. The same six points that separate fourth from seventeenth in the Champs only goes from third to between thirteenth and fourteenth here. It is quite close up top, of course not counting Brighton (36) who have a four point edge on Charlton (32). Bournemouth, Sheffield W (both 30), Huddersfield, Oldham, and Colchester (all 29) sit within a win of second, and Southampton (28) is looking pretty good as well.

It's easy to tell the red-zoners apart currently because they're all below 20 points. Wallsal (14) is bottom, with Yeovil and Dag & Red (both 15) hardly faring much better. Notts County (19) is the only one less than six back of safety.

LEAGUE TWO

The top and bottom of this table are both quite close at the moment. Too bad this isn't the stretch run or we'd have some marvelous football!  Anyway, Port Vale (36), Chesterfield (35), and Bury (34) have the auto-promo spots for the time being, but Shrewsbury (32) and Rotherham (31) have been able to keep things relatively close early on. Torquay and Wycombe (both 28) are a little further back, but it's still early and they could make a run. Plus if the season ended now, they'd at least be in the playoffs.

Other end - one could say the entire bottom half is looking over their shoulders. Hereford (15) and Barnet (16) are the current red-zoners, but Northampton, Morecambe (both 18), Stockport, and Lincoln (both 19) are all within a win's reach of the latter. Speaking of Lincoln, Canadian jack-of-all-trades Gavin McCallum has only started once this season but has been subbed on nine times. And done nothing of any real value. :P

CONFERENCE PREMIER

It seems the winter and the cold temperatures always render the schedules a little cockeyed. Fortunately, things aren't too bad in the BSP, with only Crawley having played fewer than 20 games (most sides have played either 20 or 21, they've played 19). It is very close at the top, though - with just one auto-promo spot to play for, you can imagine that AFC Wimbledon (41), Crawley (40 and a game in hand on Wimbledon and Luton) and Luton (39) are going to claw for every point. Newport (37) probably will as well, but they're at a disadvantage matches-wise. Even now, though, a last-playoff-spot race appears to be opening up as well - one between Kidderminster (34), Fleetwood, Wrexham (both 33), Rushden & Diamonds (32), Mansfield (31), and even Grimsby (29) who might be a little ways back but also have a match in hand.

Other end - after all the times Altrincham (14) seems to have dodged the relegation bullet, I'd actually like to see them go under for once. Hayes & Yeading (17), Southport (18), and Histon (19) are all within a win of safety, and the latter two both have a game in hand, which is bad news for Forest Green (20).

A couple Canadians in this division, although Newport loaner Martin John is only "sort of" Canadian (in that he grew up there but was born in England and lived there for the first five years of his life, so he could go either way) and Stephen Appiah from Hayes & Yeading hasn't exactly been spectacular. (Of course who on that side really has? :P)

CONFERENCE NORTH

Once you get into North and South, the skeds really get screwy. Of course Ilkeston going knockers-up didn't help the North one bit. Alfreton and Guiseley (both 37) are joint top, but the former has played three fewer matches than the latter. Then you've got Telford (35) and Boston (34) who have played sixteen matches to Alfreton's 14 and Guiseley's 17. Perhaps in my January update I'll do a pro-rating to see who's actually performing the best.

At the bottom we have a somewhat similar situation. Stafford and Redditch (both 9) have played 14 matches, but Hyde (10) have played 16, and Hinckley (12) have played 15. So the lower end could prove interesting.

CONFERENCE SOUTH

I still think Godfrey made a mistake going to Boreham Wood (7) but to be fair, they do have games in hand on the three teams in front of them - two on St. Albans (10) and Thurrock (12) and three on Lewes (also 12). Basingstoke (15) are low in the table but also lower than almost everyone in the lower half in games played as well (they and Boreham Wood are the low in that area at the moment with only 14 matches under their respective belts), so they shouldn't be too worried, just yet.

The screwy schedule might make the upper half interesting as well. Although Braintree and Bromley are joint top in points (33), Chelmsford (27), Dover, and Ebbsfleet (both 26) could move up to challenge as all have played just 14 matches, while three of the top four have played 16. (Welling has played 17 and has 28 points). Farnborough is also looking strong with 28 points from 16 matches. Havant & Waterlooville have games in hand on everyone in the league, having played just 13. If they won three in a row, they would be in the heat of contention.

Even though he was wacko to join BHFC, Elliott Godfrey, the Toronto-born striker/attacking mid, has three goals and an assist, including both Wood goals in a 2-2 draw against Sturrock (he got MOTM honours for that), which puts him third on the team in scoring.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2010, 12:02:14 AM »
Will do a year-end rundown on Wednesday, which is when the last games of 2010 get played. :santa_afro:

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2010, 04:55:43 AM »
Theres been hardly any action going on, due to the weather. Hopyfully the New years day games will be ok.

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2010, 05:38:05 AM »
Yeah. Most of Canada and the northern USA are getting hit hard with the accursed white stuff. Only real exception is the "Pacific Northwest," where I live.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2010, 08:47:03 PM »
Well now, it's UPDATE TIME! :santa_tongue:

CHAMPIONSHIP

QPR (47) seems to be in a league of its own at the moment, seven clear of the chasing pack. Cardiff, Swansea, and Leeds (40) and also Norwich (39) are the next blob in the standings, all fighting for second place. It's interesting after that, because there's a five point gap between fifth and sixth (Reading and Coventry have 34 each), but the same number of points separates sixth from seventeenth :lol:

The North Enders (19) are still in the basement, but a game in hand and a managerial sacking might change that. Then again, it might further exacerbate it. Who knows? What I do know is that Canadian Iain Hume is probably their best player righ tnow, with four goals and three assists on the season. It pains me to see a Canuck amongst the Scum, but what can you do? That's football. The battle for survival will be a close one though. Preston and Sc*nthorpe have a bit of an advantage despite being bottom and third-from-bottom respectively - games in hand. Preston has one and Sc*nthorpe 2 on the others:

20. Sheff U - 25 pts, 23 GP
21. Middlesbrough - 24 pts, 23 GP
------------------------------
22. Sc*nthorpe - 23 pts, 21 GP
23. Crystal Palace - 22 pts, 23 GP
24. PNE - 19 pts, 22 GP

LEAGUE ONE

A little closer at the top here. Brighton (37) has a 4-point edge over Charlton and Sheff W (both 33), the former of whom they played to a 1-1 draw yesterday. It is also a little closer overall, as only six points separate second from fourteenth (Carlisle, 27). But that's not quite as close as the fight for survival, at least at the top of the red zone. Bristol Rovers (22) is only in the red by -3 goal differential, behind Tranmere. Hey, at least they have hope of catching them, as opposed to Rochdale, who are +1, with them being -11. :P Dag & Red (18), Walsall (17), and Yeovil (16) aren't looking so hot.

LEAGUE TWO

The top rung here is really close, with a group of six teams being within a five point margin of each other - Chesterfield (38), Port Vale (36), Bury, Rotherham, Wycombe (all 34), and Shrewsbury (33). Cheltenham (30) and Torquay (28) are also looking strong.

The red zone situation here is similar to League One's, with Barnet (19) only being out by -3 goal differential behind Lincoln. But the key difference here is that Lincoln has three games in hand on Barnet. Hereford (15) has the lowest point total of any team in the entire League, having played 20 matches.

Conference updates later.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2010, 09:42:38 PM »
CONFERENCE PREMIER

At first glance it would look pretty close up top, but then you'd realise Newport (41) has played 23 matches, more than any other team in the division. :P Atop the table sits AFC Wimbledon with two games in hand on the same, so that three-point gap could easily become a chasm. But they also have to watch out for Crawley (40), who have played fewer matches than any other team in the division, that is, only 19. Luton (39) and Fleetwood (37) round out the playoff spots.

At the other end, I can't seem to fathom why Altrincham (14) keeps staying up if they suck so bad! :P Even though all red-zoners except Hayes & Yeading (20) have a game in hand on safety (22 points) and H & Y aren't even a win shy, Altrincham are four points behind Southport (18), 5 behind Histon (19), who have game in hand on them, and six behind H&Y. Can you say, "FAIL?" Eastbourne, Tamworth, Barrow (all 22) and Forest Green (23) are likely watching their backs at this point.

CONFERENCE NORTH

Although AFC Telford U is sitting top currently with 38 points, the team one really should be watching is second-place Alfreton (37) as they have three games in hand on both them and the team right behind them, Guiseley (also 37, behind on goal diff). Speaking of the newly-promoted, Boston (34) isn't looking so bad either. With a game in hand on Guiseley, they could pull even just by winning said game. Nuneaton (33) has two games in hand on Guiseley and could surpass them. In truth, it's really not very predictable how the playoff spread will end up. What is certain now is that the teams in at least playoff position are way the hell ahead of the first teams on the outside looking in, at least now. Nuneaton is seven clear of Blyth Spartans (26) with two games in hand on the same, and eight clear of the closest team with the same number of games played. That's quite the gap to bridge.

With numerous matches being postponed due to the wacky weather, the bottom hasn't changed a bit even though Redditch (9) has actually played. :P

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Same deal here although fewer matches have been postponed. Braintree and Bromley are even in the points atop the table (33) although Braintree has a far superior goal differential and a game in hand. Farnborough is only a point back but have played one more game than Bromley and two more than Braintree, so if I were to keep an eye on anyone, it would be fourth-place Dover (30), who have played the same number of matches Braintree - 16. Ebbsfleet (29) could also be dangerous as they've only played 15 matches, joint second-lowest only to Chelmsford, who have played 14. Welling (28) would be top if not for being dinged five points for "financial irregularities," but they are still very much a threat, as is Chelmsford (27) for reasons I just said. :P

At the other end it seems Boreham Wood (11) has finally been able to gather some momentum (Elliott Godfrey has garnered two more assists for those who care :P) and add four points to their total, putting St. Albans (10) in the toilet. That said, they are still in the red, but for how much longer is anyone's guess, being how they (and St. Albans) have two games in hand each on Lewes (12) and one in hand on Thurrock (also 12). Dartford has some reason to worry, but Basingstoke (16) are four points in the clear and have games in hand on everyone behind them, so they have less to worry about.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2011, 12:16:49 AM »
Update time again. :P

It seems QPR's (52) lead on the Champs diminished a little, shrinking from seven to five ahead of Cardiff, Swansea, and Norwich (all 47). Nott Forest (46) are also a real threat, since they have a game in hand on QPR, Cardiff, and Norwich and two in hand on Swansea, as well as Leeds (45), the team immediately trailing them. Watford (42), Reading (41), and Burnley (40) wrap up the 40-point club.

At the other end, things are starting to look bleaker for certain red-zoners, although Preston (21) has a game in hand on Crystal Palace (27) and Sheff W (26), while Sc*nthorpe (24) has two, so that could make things a bit interesting. Middlesbrough (30), Ipswich, and Pompey (31), all need to be watching their backs. That said, Ipswich has a game in hand on most of these, and two in hand on Bristol City (32).

In the Canadian picture, it seems I underestimated how much Jaime Peters has been up to in Ipswich, as they've seemingly converted him to a right back. In other words, he pulled a Stalteri. :P (Started as a mid, is now a back.) Consequently, his playing time has increased rather dramatically. Speaking of which, Iain Hume is benefitting from increased playing time now that his Preston presence is a little more permanent, and he has surpassed Simeon Jackson as the top Canadian goalscorer as Jackson's totals have petered out a little of late.

LEAGUE ONE

The sked here's a little more screwy, but most of the teams have actually played fewer matches. Only a quarter of the leagues teams have played 26+ matches, while only one (Carlisle) has played fewer than 24. This stands to make things that much sweeter for top-ranked Brighton (49) who have a game in hand on Bournemouth and Huddersfield (43) as well as that nice six-point cushion. Southampton (41), MK Dons (40), and Peterborough (39) hold down the other three playoff spots currently, although the Posh are only ahead of Oldham by goal diff and Charlton (38) by a point. Rochdale (36) are also looming somewhat.

At the other end, man, Walsall (20) just can't buy a break! :P Swindon (29) is the team to catch for the red-zoners and yet WFC are the only side of the four in the red that doesn't have at least one game in hand on them. The Daggers (21) are only a point up on them but have two games in hand on Swindon and one on both Bristol Rovers and Yeovil (both 27). Besides Swindon, though, Tranmere (30), Notts County (31), and Brentford (32) are all needing to watch their derrieres, although Notts County has an extra game in hand on the other two.

LEAGUE TWO

The schedule here is... interesting. The only two teams that have played more than 26 matches are in the red, and the two clubs having played fewer than 24 are also near bottom. :P

Chesterfield (52) are 11 points clear of having to go to the playoffs, which should tell you how well they've been doing.  :up: Second-place Wycombe (46) is doing okay as well, but seriously, if Chesterfield keeps playing this well they'll have it made by the end of April, I'm sure. The last auto-promo spot looks to be a tight challenge, though, with Crewe (41) only holding it by +7 goal diff over Rotherham, and only three points separating the top playoff spot from the bottom (38):

1. Chesterfield - 52
2. Wycombe - 46
3. Crewe - 41, +18
--------------------------------
4. Rotherham - 41, +11
5. Port Vale - 40
6. Shrewsbury - 39
7. Oxford - 38
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
8. Bury - 37, +12
9. Gillingham - 37, +3
10. Cheltenham - 37, 0

Now what this chart neglects to show is matches played, and in this regard, Bury has a clear advantage, being the only team in the top 10 to have played only 24 matches, with the remainder having either 25 (Chesterfield, Wycombe, Rotherham, Port Vale) or 26 (everyone else) under their belts. They may yet prove a threat.

The other end has points logjams galore! Now Lincoln City (25) is only out of the red by a GD difference of +3. But one must also factor in that they've played four fewer matches than both of the poor suckers behind them :P - Barnet (25) and Stockport (24). Both have played 27 matches. You do the math. But there's more to this story as well - Hereford and Burton also have 25 points, and the latter has only played 21 matches! :lol: They're also running at a +2 goal differential and have just eight losses against six victories (and seven draws ;) ) The things they could do with those extra matches. :P

Macclesfield (27) still needs to be careful, and Bradford and Morecambe (both 30) a bit less so.

Back to the topic of Lincoln, it would seem that Gavin McCallum finally scored his first goal with the side in a loss to Wycombe a couple weeks ago. But a bit more impressive is the fact that he's also garnered himself a pair of assists in the process. January 2011 just seems to be his month - he's grabbed three further starts in the striker position.

CONFERENCE PREMIER

Well, most teams have played between 26 and 28 matches. One of the three that has not (and one of the two who've only played 25) is on top, though :P Yes, I'm talking about Crawley (56) who sit one clear of Wimbledon (55) and two clear of Luton (54). The remaining playoff spots are closer - with Wrexham and Kidderminster sitting on 46 and Fleetwood having 45. Newport (42) have been on an epic cold streak of late, taking just one point from a potential fifteen, but are still in striking range of a playoff spot, but they have Mansfield (41) to contend with, as well as a surging York (38), who have won four of their last five.

At the other end, it seems LOLtrincham (25) has finally gotten some kind of momentum going, winning three of their last five and drawing a fourth. Still, with the lowest goal differential in the league (a dismal -30), they need to keep the momentum going to get anywhere, although they are technically only in the red by goal diff behind Hayes & Yeading (-23) and Southport (-11) .

Then of course there're Eastbourne (22) and Histon (21), but neither has been doing anything but lose this month, so there ya go :P

CONFERENCE NORTH

It seems as if both bad weather and Ilkeston's dissolution have complicated things in this league. While Nuneaton (50) has the lead now, Alfreton (47) has five games in hand on them. Yes, you heard me right, five. Add to this that they're 7-2-1 in their last ten Conference matches and you have something that should have both of the teams ahead of them (Nuneaton and Guiseley (48)) just a wee bit worried. Boston (45) and Telford (44) are also looking very strong.

Redditch (10) couldn't be any worse at this point. They haven't won in fourteen and are on a five-game losing streak. Not like Stafford (13) is much better off, to be honest. Hyde (19) has only improved marginally, but are still enough out of the red that they don't need to be too uptight about anything. :P Only other team really needing to worry at all is Hinckley (20), who have games in hand on Hyde, Stafford, and Redditch, but are behind relative to Gloucester and Eastwood (both also 20), who have only played 18 apiece.

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Braintree (48 from 21) appears to be pulling away up top as the team has yet to lose in 2011. Chelmsford (42 from 20) aren't doing too poorly in their own right, having lost just once, although this was a real howler as it was against then-last-place Boreham Wood. :P Still, these top two have games in hand galore on the next threesome, Bromley (42 from 25), Farnborough (41 from 23), and Welling (40 from 23). The real team to keep an eye on in this part of the table is Eastleigh (40 from 21), since they are on a six-game win streak at the moment. After Dover (38 from 21) there is a gigantic drop-off - even though seven points doesn't seem like much, keep in mind as well that Weston-super-Mare has also played four more matches. :P

At the other end, the magic number seems to be 20. The Lewesers (13) couldn't win to save their lives of late, it would seem, with just a single point in their last eight matches. Heck, they've even fallen behind Boreham Wood (14)! (Only because of their shock win against Chelmsford, mind you.) To add insult to injury, they've played two more matches than BHFC, and three more than Dartford (19) and the first two teams out of the red, St. Albans and Dorchester (both 20). It is worth noting, though, that Dorchester have taken just a single point from five matches in 2011.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:05:34 AM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2011, 10:08:18 AM »
Cheers for the update mate, Southend had a good 4-1 win on Tuesday. Hopyfully they will have a better 2nd half of the season and make a late push for the playoffs.

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2011, 06:09:52 PM »
Yeah, Southend is hovering around mid-table right now.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2011, 01:31:33 AM »
It's been a month, so why not update again? ;)

CHAMPIONSHIP

Here's a scary thought - if the regular season ended today, Swansea (62) would be in the Premiership. They sit second behind QPR (67) who have since been surpassed for most wins by the same, but also have seven fewer losses. Cardiff (61), Norwich (59), Nott Forest (58), and Leeds (54) are in playoff position at the moment, but Leicester (52), Burnley (50), Hull (49) and Reading (48) are all within two wins.

At the other end, Preston (24) just can't buy a break, sitting eleven points from safety. Sheff U (29) and Sc*nthorpe (31) look to be the other two going under, but Crystal Palace (35) and Middlesbrough (36) had better not get overconfident as they are mighty close to the red themselves.

LEAGUE ONE

At first glance it would seem close at the top, at least between the two auto-qual holders, Brighton & Hove (59) and Bournemouth (58). But once one looks at the games played, one realises that the former has a larger advantage than one might think. The same can sort of be said for the playoff-holders at the moment - Huddersfield, Peterborough (both 53), Southampton, and MK Dons (both 52). I would actually tip Southampton to push for an auto-qual spot given how their goal differential is superior even to that of Bournemouth (at +26, only the table-toppers' is better), and they, like B&H, have three games in hand. For the same reason, Charlton (47) and Rochdale (45) could make a push for a playoff spot if they play their cards (and by cards I mean games in hand) right.

Plymouth declaring intent to go into administration has made things interesting at the bottom. Being how things were already close between the four red-zoners prior to this move (Swindon, Walsall, Bristol Rovers, and Dag & Red), this has injected new hope into the season as this foursome was a bit detached from the pack in front of them - Yeovil (36) and Tranmere (37) being the closest to them, and having two games in hand a pop on Swidon and Walsall (both 31). Speaking of Walsall, they have upped their game enough to get themselves off bottom even without needing the 10-point penalty against Plymouth. The Daggers would otherwise be bottom, but they too have games in hand, on everyone around them. Bristol Rovers would be a more likely candidate for Epic Fail of the Year in the One.

LEAGUE TWO

It would seem as if Chesterfield (62) has the situation well in hand, certainly as far as auto-qual is concerned and even as far as top goes, although they only have six points on Wycombe (56) who also have a game in hand. Rotherham (53) are in a little tighter a spot, since they have only one point on Shrewsbury (52) and two on both Port Vale and Bury (both 51).

Then there's the playoff race, which is equally close, since the last spot holder, Gillingham (48) has Southend and Oxford (both 47, plus Southend has a game in hand), Stevenage (45 and a game in hand), Torquay (44 and two games in hand), and even Accrington Stanley (42 and three games in hand) to hold off in the short run. In the long run, Crewe could make a push if they show the right form.

At the other end sit sad-sack Stockport (28), who may only be a point behind Burton (29), but look at how many games they've played. 27. TWENTY-FRICKIN'-SEVEN!! They're way behind on games and as such are in the red zone... for now. But with six games in hand on both the team behind them and the team immediately in front of them (Barnet, 30), there is a big chance that they won't be there too much longer... provided they don't lose all of their games in hand, anyway.  :lol: Macclesfield (35) could propel themselves further from the red if they take advantage of their three games in hand as well. After that, the closest to the red are a foursome of teams at 37 points - Bradford, Hereford, Aldershot, and Morecambe.

Man, being a Barnet fan is gonna suck. :P

CONFERENCE PREMIER

The top half of the league here is insane. Wimbledon (70) continue to stubbornly hold the top spot although they are playing a dangerous game with Crawley (67), hoping that they will wear out. Crawley has played five fewer matches, as also has Luton (58), who while clearly lagging behind the top rung, could still make AFCW's life miserable should they drop to the playoff range. Wrexham (59) and Kidderminster (57) are also in the playoffs, although the latter are looking over their shoulders at Fleetwood (54) and perhaps also York (48) who have three games in hand on the two of them.

A note here, Kidderminster and Histon were dinged five apiece for fudging the books, so to speak. This could have ramifications at both ends of the table!

Because of said epic failure, Histon (27) sits only one clear of the bottom of the table, occupied by Eastbourne (26). Altrincham (29) has only won once from its last five and drawn another, while Barrow (also 29) has just two points from a possible 15. Still, Hayes and Yeading (31), the current benefactors of Histon's bumbling, and Southport (32), really need to watch themselves. Forest Green (35) might need to as well, but for now they seem only mildly threatened.

CONFERENCE NORTH

Cockeyed table is cockeyed. The teams I'd be watching right now are those who've only played 21 matches, like fourth-place Alfreton (51), or 23, like fifth-place Guiseley (49) and mid-table dwelling Eastwood (30). On the flip side, you have three teams - including first-place Nuneaton (61) - who have played 29 matches. It's really hard to predict who'll end up where at this point, even though some teams have as few as eleven matches remaining this season.

What we do know is where people are. At top is Nuneaton, with Telford (53), Boston (52), Alfreton and Guiseley holding playoff spots, with Solihull Moors (47), Blyth Spartans (46), and Droylsden (42) also positioned to make a run (Droylsden has only played 24 matches themselves).

Hyde continues to stave off the red-zoners, but with their current futility streak (just one point out of a possible fifteen in the last five outings), one has to wonder how much longer this will last. Stafford got a little closer to them at basement-dwelling Redditch's expense (they have 11 points, the lowest point total in the top six tiers of the league system).

Now here's something that should give us an idea where everyone should be - points per game. What I've done is taken points per game and multiplied by the highest number of games played, 29, to give a point total which should look more like what each team would have. This is an ahistorical method of gauging form I've used in the past.

Thanks to the magic of Microsoft Excel, I was able to do this far faster this time :P

Alfreton Town - 70
---------------------------------------------
Guiseley - 62
AFC Telford United - 61
Nuneaton Town - 61
Boston United - 54
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Droylsden - 51
Solihull Moors - 50
Blyth Spartans - 48
Corby Town - 40
Vauxhall Motors - 40
Worcester City - 38
Eastwood Town - 38
Workington - 37
Stalybridge Celtic - 35
Harrogate Town - 32
Gloucester City - 31
Hinckley United - 30
Gainsborough Trinity - 29
Hyde - 23
-------------------------------------------------
Stafford Rangers - 19
Redditch United - 12

So there you have it. Alfreton's form would murder any other club's, Redditch still sucks, and the top five are exactly the same teams, just in different order.

CONFERENCE SOUTH

The South looks to have been dealt a better hand with regards to weather, so the sked isn't quite so messed up down here. (Well that and no team has been folded. :P) Only four teams have played fewer than 28 matches this season (Eastleigh and Maidenhead 27, H&R 26, and H&W 24) while only two (Weston and Lewes) have played more than 29 (both 31).

Braintree (64) are top, with Ebbsfleet (58) being the most likely to challenge them in the short-term. Playoff spots belong to them, plus Farnborough (54), Chelmsford (53), and Welling (51, would be five points higher but got dinged five points for "financial irreguralities"). Dover, Eastleigh (47),  hard-charging Woking (46, winners of five in a row), and Bromley (also 46) could challenge down the road.

Other end. Bad form by the Lewesers (24) and Maidenhead (25), better than usual form by Boreham Wood (26, out of the red on goal diff) and a ten-point penalty to St. Albans, who suck anyway (12) have shaken things up somewhat at the bottom. H&R (also 26) have a +9 goal diff advantage on the team currently in possession of Elliott Godfrey (remember, he came into Conf with H&R) but the main important factor currently for HamRich is games in hand, of which they have three. Thurrock (27) and Dorchester (28) are probably more in danger at this point.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2011, 03:43:31 AM »
Wow, I really haven't updated this in a while. But since we're in the stretch run now, I suppose it's UPDATE TIME!

CHAMPIONSHIP

Four matches left (three if you're Norwich or Ipswich) and things are starting to really heat up. QPR (83) are still top, but Norwich (77) has snatched second place from Cardiff (75) for the time being but only have a two-point advantage. Cardiff still have dropped just two points from their last fifteen and cannot be underestimated in the slightest. Both need to keep their eyes on Reading (72) as well as they've been on a twelve-game unbeaten streak and an eight-game win streak. Swansea (70) is slipping a little as they've won just one of their last four.

The real battle, though, will be for the last playoff spot. Leeds (65) is really slipping of late, and with Forest, Hull, Burnley (all 63), Millwall (61), and Leicester (60) all within reasonable distance, the last four matches of the season could prove very interesting in that part of the table. Ipswich (59) and Watford (58) are dark horses, while Pompey (55) and Bristol City (54) are still mathematical possibilities but astronomical improbabilities.

Bristol City is also the lowest team in the table that is surefire out of relegation danger, although Coventry City's (52) chances of dropping are looking more and more like "astronomically improbable" at this point, as Sc*nthorpe would not only have to win every game but do so by an average of nine goals per game (40) to actually catch them. :P Crystal Palace (43) and Doncaster (45) are looking like the "most likely to be caught" at this point, especially with improved form from both Sc*nthorpe (40) and PNE (39). Sheffield is still hopeful as well, although with 35 points, that hope is fading fast.

Looking at Canadians, Iain Hume is PNE's main saving grace this season, and also the reason why PNE has a shot at staying up with his 11 goals (1st on the team) and 6 assists (2nd to Keith Treacy's 8) . Sim Jackson has also re-discovered his form and now has nine goals and two assists to his name. Harder to judge defenders based on stats, but one thing is certain - Jaime Peters and David Edgar will be wishing failure on each other down the stretch since one's team has to stumble for the other to make the playoffs.

LEAGUE ONE

Brighton & Hove (93) have clinched first place, a whopping sixteen points clear of Southampton (77) - even with the game in hand, they'd come up one point short of Albion even if they won every remaining match. This opens up two battles down the stretch - one for second place between Southampton, Huddersfield (also 77), Peterborough (74) and MK Dons (71). Bournemouth (66) is a mathematical possibility as well, but I'm thinking they'll want to focus on staying in the playoffs as opposed to making a run for second, with Rochdale (64) nipping at their heels, and Leyton Orient and red-hot Exeter City (both 61, the latter winners of four in a row) also looking dangerous. Hartlepool and Charlton (both 54) are the lowest teams that are mathematically capable of catching them, but don't hold your breath for them to do so.

At the other end, Walsall (43), who were at one point dead-last, are now only a point back of Dag & Red (44), as too are Bristol Rovers. Swindon (38) are six back, and point-docked Plymouth (36) even further, but both still have hope. On top of this, Notts County (45) should really be watching themselves. Tranmere (49) are better-off, but aren't out of the woods yet.

LEAGUE TWO

Likely the most competitive division in the League, the Two still has a very open race for top between Chesterfield (81) who have all but clinched an auto-promo spot, and Bury (74), who might be seven back but have had better recent form. Wycombe (70) are only one ahead of Shrewsbury (69) and four ahead of Torquay (66) for the last auto-promo spot, and have others they need to worry about as well. Heck, Wycombe aren't even guaranteed playoff football yet! Chesterfield is actually the only team that is at this point, with Accrington Stanley (65) even with the last two playoff holders, Stevenage and Gillingham, Port Vale (62) only three back, and Rotherham (61) only three back. Who knows how this is gonna turn out? I'll try and do weekly updates now that I'm home. ;)

Bottom end... Burton (45) had how many games in hand and they're still just barely surviving? They're four points clear of Barnet (41) and only one clear of Northampton (44), who are first out of the red. Stockport (36) is less hopeful but still capable of bridging the gap for now.

Gavin McCallum grabbed another goal for Lincoln, but at 47 points it's hard to see how one more goal makes any difference.

CONFERENCE PREMIER

Remember when we had Spurs Network FC on Football Manager and we flat-out dominated? Well, such is the case with Crawley Town (98) in RL Conference this season. With three games to go, three digits is looking likely, and they're already so far ahead of second-place Wimbledon (83) that they've clinched the Conference title, and had it clinched for some time now. Wimbledon, in the meantime, has clinched a playoff spot, and Luton (77) needs only a point or for York (69) to lose or draw to lock one up themselves. This isn't to say, however, that York is completely boned. Wrexham (74) and Fleetwood (72) are easily caught even though the latter is on a five-game win streak. Kidderminster (68) also has a decent chance, with Darlington (64) looking way less probable and Newport (63) looking like a practical impossibility at this point.

At the other end, we have our first confirmations of teams officially being hooped. Histon (27) and Eastbourne (33) are confirmed as being too far removed from safety to go down, while Altrincham (41) and Southport (42) are looking quite a bit better. Hayes & Yeading (51) are practically in the clear, but Barrow (47), Cambridge, Tamworth (both 46), and Forest Green (45) are still under threat.

CONFERENCE NORTH

Alfreton (83) has all but locked up top spot and only needs a point, or for Telford (75) to lose. The playoffs are still fairly open, though, with Eastwood and Guiseley (both 68) straddling the playoff line, with the former only being in the playoffs by goal differential. Solihull Moors (64) can also still get in, but they're more of a dark horse.

At the other end, although a couple other teams are in danger, I really think the battle for survival is going to come down to Hyde (31) and Stafford Rangers (29). Redditch (8) is already screwed.

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Going into the last three, Braintree (83) has the lead, but Farnborough (79) can still catch them. So too can Ebbsfleet United (76) but that would require Braintree to lose all three remaining matches. Being how their next one is at H&R, I'm not sure if that'll happen, but stranger things have :P Still, if Braintree wins and Farnborough loses at any point in the last 3 games, the title is as good as Braintree's.

The playoffs are going to be very close, though. Farnborough has clinched at least a playoff spot and Ebbsfleet can do likewise with a single point, but Welling (71), Woking (69), Dover and Chelmsford (both 68) and Eastleigh (66) are really close, and this will make for an exciting finish to the season in this part of the table.

Equally interesting should be the bottom end of the table. Yes, St. Albans (23) is down for sure. But the last team out of the read, Maidenhead (39) has played one more game than the three teams chasing them - Bishop's Stortford (36), Thurrock (35), and Lewes (33). Boreham Wood (41) are continuing to rise from the red, and are actually on a two-game winning streak, but they have to keep that form up to stay alive. Dorchester (40) and H&R (42) are also in danger.

From the feeders: Halifax Town and Sutton United are guaranteed promotion.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!