SpursNetwork

Leeds v Tottenham

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Leeds v Tottenham
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 11:37:23 PM »

And you question my loyalty and support !!!!
The FA Cup comes after the League position and Europe, the greatest knockout cup competition in the world, a competition that we have a rich hstory in, a competition we have won 8 times includng being the only non league team to win it..... please so you would rather finish 4th with only a chance of qualifying for the Champions League than walk away wth one of the most famous trophes in football !!!!

There was no glamour about it against Leeds AVB made a huge cock up he changed the complete spine of the team and bascally disrepected the competition. We are not going to win the League this season but we should still finish 4th even f we poured our resources into the FA Cup. Leeds are trying to gain promotion to the Premier League but they still played with a full side and plenty of heart so why couldn't we. I'm sick of this we can't play our strongest side in every game, we should of gone with our best sde and won the game then took off players when the job is done.

As for the transfer window still being open so we could still buy a striker keep dreaming Voice you know as well as everyone else does Levy will not back his man in January, never does never will !!!!

>:(

True.  As far as I am concerned the FA cup is and will always be our most important domesctic cup.  I am baffled as to why AVB coudn't t go all out to win and Sunday was a blatant show of "not being bothered as we only played a lower side". Harry was good at this in the Europa when he played all our younsters and I thought I had seen the last of that with AVB.   

I always look at things on a positive side, but with just 3 days to go I have to agree that, other than Holtby noyhing else is likely to happen.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 06:35:44 AM »
    Unfortunately AVB places more importance on the Europa Cup than he does on the FA Cup, therein lies the problem to last Sundays game. Maybe someone should inform him that the FA Cup is a far more important trophy to win, than the Europa Cup is, in England.

:nods: :nods:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:40:40 AM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 07:39:34 AM »
    Unfortunately AVB places more importance on the Europa Cup than he does on the FA Cup, therein lies the problem to last Sundays game. Maybe someone should inform him that the FA Cup is a far more important trophy to win, than the Europa Cup is, in England.

I am not sure that the FA Cup is far more important to win than the Europa League, its just that the FA play cup matches at weekends, not on a Thursday night, when a journey to Azerbyjan or where ever causes a big disruption to the prem schedule.

I also think that AVB is entitled to feel confident enough to trust the likes of Naughton Caulker BAE Siggurdsson Huddlestone etc, but they proved on Sunday that they simply are not good enough.
Also it should not be overlooked that Verthonghen Lennon Bale and Dempsey were not exactly on fire.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 07:47:33 AM »
Football

GAME PLAN ... Ross McCormack
Flanks a lot says Ross
Published: 28th January 2013
 LEEDS hero Ross McCormack says Spurs are nothing without Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon.
McCormack hit the decisive goal in Leeds’ shock 2-1 FA Cup win over Tottenham on Sunday.

And he said: “Everybody knows how good Bale and Lennon are.

“So our game plan was simple — stop the wingers.

“We knew if we nullified them, we had a good chance of winning and that’s the way it worked out.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4767659/Ross-McCormack-Tottenham-nothing-without-Gareth-Bale-and-Aaron-Lennon.html#ixzz2JLflzshm

Just read this short article, and it re-iterates what I've been pointing out about how lesser teams approach playing us, with plenty of success.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:49:09 AM by RSS61 »

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 11:37:05 AM »
RSS61,
          AVB said right from the beginning of the season that he would be trying to put his strongest side out in order to win the Europa Cup, and on Sunday he didn't exactly put out his strongest side did he? that just proves to me, unfortunately, that he doesn't put too much importance on the FA Cup.                   
         Unfortunately winning the Europa Cup doesn't really count for much in England, whereas winning the FA Cup does, at least in my opinion it does, and in, I would hazard a guess 75-90% of the footballing public in England.
        I agree that Verthonghen, Bale and Lennon weren't on fire, as far as Dempsey is concerned, he just proved what I have been saying all season, he just isn't good enough, I disagree with you regarding BAE, this was his first full game back from injury this season, if AVB was serious about the FA Cup, why wouldn't he have played Dawson instead of Caulker, why put Walker & Dembele on the bench, all it proved is what I and a lot of other people who contribute to this site have been saying, we just don't have the depth in our squad, at the moment, required to have a real good tilt at the Premiership, and more to the point to finish in the top four, and I sincerely hope that I am proved wrong, but only time will tell.

:( :(

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:39:44 AM by Paul Finch »

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »
  It is very easy for Ross McCormack to be smug and make such comments after they have won, I don't for one minute think that they nullified Bale and Lennon, it was more a case that we never gave them the service to allow them to do the damage, when they were given the service, they tore Leeds defence apart, unfortunately it didn't happen often enough.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 03:56:05 PM »

And you know this how? Or is it a case of your personal feelings towards him dictating what you should say?

How do you know that the formation and players he chose was the only one available to him?

I don't remember reading that he said the FA Cup is less important than the Europa trophy.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »
RSS61,
          AVB said right from the beginning of the season that he would be trying to put his strongest side out in order to win the Europa Cup, and on Sunday he didn't exactly put out his strongest side did he? that just proves to me, unfortunately, that he doesn't put too much importance on the FA Cup.                   
         Unfortunately winning the Europa Cup doesn't really count for much in England, whereas winning the FA Cup does, at least in my opinion it does, and in, I would hazard a guess 75-90% of the footballing public in England.
        I agree that Verthonghen, Bale and Lennon weren't on fire, as far as Dempsey is concerned, he just proved what I have been saying all season, he just isn't good enough, I disagree with you regarding BAE, this was his first full game back from injury this season, if AVB was serious about the FA Cup, why wouldn't he have played Dawson instead of Caulker, why put Walker & Dembele on the bench, all it proved is what I and a lot of other people who contribute to this site have been saying, we just don't have the depth in our squad, at the moment, required to have a real good tilt at the Premiership, and more to the point to finish in the top four, and I sincerely hope that I am proved wrong, but only time will tell.

You've hit the nail on the head "In your opinion". He put what he thought was the strongest team out; based on the players available. The FA Cup is down to luck.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »
RSS61,

You've hit the nail on the head "In your opinion". He put what he thought was the strongest team out; based on the players available. The FA Cup is down to luck.

What an absolutely ridiculous statement ....

So now I know exactly how you work, we have been lucky 8 times and even with our strongest side playing at its best it's down to luck...... If you haven't got anything sensible to say please don't say anything at all !!!!!!

:2funny:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 06:44:48 PM »
What an absolutely ridiculous statement ....
What? That it isn’t down to luck? It was Duke Ellington who said it was 20% talent and 80% luck. There has been – in the past – many great teams beaten my lowly clubs because they’ve had the rub of the green (luck). If it wasn’t luck then how do you explain it when David beats Goliath?

[/font][/color]So now I know exactly how you work, we have been lucky 8 times and even with our strongest side playing at its best it's down to luck...... If you haven't got anything sensible to say please don't say anything at all !!!!!!

:2funny:
You talk rubbish. Luck always plays an important part. Strong teams often get beaten by a smaller clubs. Clubs with their entire team worth a few thousand manage to beat teams worth many millions. Luck always plays apart.

I also like to add. That matches from the league are taken over the season and we should judge that way. Cup matches are a combination of luck, skill and lowly teams raising their games, whilst some big teams underestimate their smaller club opponents.  But luck plays an important part in cup matches.

What I said in my original post, which you decided to mock, was more to do with cup matches, rather than league matches.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:13:54 PM by Voice »
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 08:05:13 AM »
Voice,
         You are doing it again, don't just pick out pieces of my post that suit you, read all of the post and answer accordingly.
         Why would AVB not play Walker and Dembele, were they injured, I doubt it, didn't he put them both on in the second half for Naughton and Huddlestone, if they were injured I don't think he would have used them, and wasn't Dawson also on the bench, or was I dreaming, if players are FIT enough to be named as Subs, then surely they are FIT enough to start would you not agree, if that is the case then the side he fielded was not our strongest one was it?
         What I said was, that in "my opinion" winning the FA Cup counts for more than winning the Europa Cup and that I would hazard a guess that 75-90% of the footballing public in England would agree.
         Did he or did he not say that he would be putting out his strongest team available in the Europa Cup this season? Yes he did, and I seem to remember you applauding him for it. If he rated the FA Cup equivalent to the Europa Cup, wouldn't he have put out his strongest available team? I think he might.
         For your information I can make an observation without letting my personal feelings cloud my judgement. Perhaps you should try and do likewise.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:09:07 AM by Paul Finch »

Offline RSS61

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 08:14:12 AM »
Voice,
         You are doing it again, don't just pick out pieces of my post that suit you, read all of the post and answer accordingly. Why would AVB not play Walker and Dembele, were they injured, I doubt it, didn't he put them both on in the second half for Naughton and Huddlestone, if they were injured I don't think he would have used them, and wasn't Dawson also on the bench, or was I dreaming, if players are FIT enough to be named as Subs, then surely they are FIT enough to start would you not agree, if that is the case then the side he fielded was not our strongest one was it?
         What I said was, that in "my opinion" winning the FA Cup counts for more than winning the Europa Cup and that I would hazard a guess that 75-90% of the footballing public in England would agree.
         Did he or did he not say that he would be putting out his strongest team available in the Europa Cup this season? Yes he did, and I seem to remember you applauding him for it. If he rated the FA Cup equivalent to the Europa Cup, wouldn't he have put out his strongest available team, I think he would.
         For your information I can make an observation without letting my personal feelings cloud my judgement. Perhaps you should try and do likewise.

I would wager that had we been away to Man Utd for example, rather than Leeds, he would have fielded our strongest 11, would you not agree ?
That being the case would suggest that he felt the likes of Naughton Caulker Sigurrdsson and Hudd were good enough to beat Leeds.

Well he was wrong, wasn't he. And if he wanted to show support for all his players, then he could hardly admit that, could he ?

None of this means that he didn't take the FA Cup just as seriously as the Europa League.

His selected players let him down, simple. They should all be better than the likes of Leeds. They are the reason we keep having these crap results every year for as long as I can remember, way before AVB came along.

It is jis job to sort it out, and he is trying hard to do that by giving everyone in the squad a chance to provr themselves and make the move up.

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 08:34:37 AM »
RSS61,
       I agree to a point, but, surely, he and the rest of his coaching panel should know the quality of the playing staff and their capabilities, by now, would you not agree? Would he have put that team out in the next round of the Europa Cup? He has said he wants to win it, I don't think so, do you? That being the case, then I feel pretty sure that last Sundays game was not that high on his list of must win games, that is the point I am making.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 08:59:10 AM »
RSS61,
       I agree to a point, but, surely, he and the rest of his coaching panel should know the quality of the playing staff and their capabilities, by now, would you not agree? Would he have put that team out in the next round of the Europa Cup? He has said he wants to win it, I don't think so, do you? That being the case, then I feel pretty sure that last Sundays game was not that high on his list of must win games, that is the point I am making.

PF you may well be right. Tonight and Saturday are MUST win games though.

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »
RSS,
      I couldn't agree more, but I am still hopeful that we sign another striker before deadline, if we do, then I think, providing he is a proven goalscorer together with the signing of Holtby, that AVB will at least have a reasonable chance of achieving what we all want, and that is qualification for Champions League next season and with some decent signings in the summer a good shot at the Premiership next year and a good run in the CL. It is all in the hands of the Chairman is it not? Your thoughts.

??? ???

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:08:08 AM by Paul Finch »