SpursNetwork

Are we beaten before we start!!!

Offline scotspurs

• C.O.Y.S
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Are we beaten before we start!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »
Pochettino only met the players last week. He definitely wants to see the squad in pre-season and then decide whether he needs to reinforce certain areas or not. Ars*nal and Chelsea haven't changed managers, neither has Liverpool. This means their managers have pinpointed their needs some time ago. Yes, Manchester United has a new manager, but some of the players they've bought were associated with them many months ago. Keep calm, lads. There is still more than a month to go before the season starts and then a few more weeks until the transfer window closes.

Welcome back Riff. Hope its permanent.

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 01:49:39 AM »
While everyone else is revealing their new signings and getting ready for the start of the season, we finally get some news, the club is pleased to announce a brand new...kit. Brilliant, that will help raise some more funds for the non existent new stadium, players and wages won't it?
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 09:16:19 AM »
While everyone else is revealing their new signings and getting ready for the start of the season, we finally get some news, the club is pleased to announce a brand new...kit. Brilliant, that will help raise some more funds for the non existent new stadium, players and wages won't it?

Levy is a person who likes to hold his cards close to his chest. In other words he goes right to the wire, hoping to get some bargains. I an not expecting any significant signings until a couple of days before the deadline (if any). But then again I could be wrong; over to you Mr Levy!
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »
Its becoming more and more anoying that evertime I read or here a Tottenham target he is being signed or having a medical at Liverpool!, the latest is Remy!, I keep hearing about the Ben Davis deal and still nothing concreat!, I personaly dont know much about the young left back so can someone tell me if he is any good!(not potentialy!!!), also there is a rumour that Badini has go over to Italy and back to his old club Roma to try and sign a young 23y striker!, seriously dudes everything I here is not exactly making my hairs stand on end!, I dont want us to rush into buying everybody elses left overs and un wanted crap!.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline dimexi

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 05:23:31 PM »
The last player we bought who actually caused a bit of excitement and made me think we were going places was VDV. He was a known player of quality, the fact that we only paid 8 million for him is irrelevant. We have spent more than that on a number of players, look back to Bentley (15 mill), or recently with Lamela (25 mill). So I am not saying we have to break our transfer records, or even have to come close. But there is a difference between buying a Modric, Berbatov, or VDV (total cost 45.5 million) and Bentley, Bent or Lamela (total cost 57.3 million). Now Bent was not awful and Lamela I hope will still come good. But there are players who you know will come in and instantly add quality and improvement to a side, and there are those who may or may not become brilliant in the future (Bale, Lamela, Rose) and finally there are those that will only be squad players at best.

Unfortunately most of our signings fall into the middle category in the hope they will make us a profit, but until we start adding 1 or 2 quality players, we will only ever continue to be the almost/nearly/hopefully there kind of side. The saddest thing of all is that this argument has been my view for too many years now and it seems like there is a simple solution that we never seem to want to take.

Will spending more help? Yes. Will increasing our wage structure help attract better players? Yes. Will being in Champions League also help to attract the better players? Yes. Are these all essential? No. There are always quality players who will look beyond those factors. It is the vision that matters most, if the right player sees a team moving in the right direction they will get on board and take that chance. It is down to the club to make sure that vision is believable, achievable and attractive.

Just signing one player that no one saw coming, that raises the perception of the fans, players and our opponents, could be the difference between being 4th or 6th next year. Time for Levy to back his newest victim.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:00:25 AM by dimexi »
Maybe next year...

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 07:57:47 PM »
The last player we bought who actually caused a bit of excitement and made me think we were going places was VDV. He was a known player of quality, the fact that we only paid 8 million for him is irrelevant. We have spent more than that on a number of players, look back to Bentley (15 mill), or recently with Lamela (25 mill). So I am not saying we have to break our transfer records, or even have to come close. But there is a difference between buying a Modric, Berbatov, or VDV (total cost 45.5 million) and Bentley, Bent or Lamela (total cost 57.3 million). Now Bent was not awful and Lamela I hope will still come good. But there are players who you know will come in and instantly add quality and improvement to a side, who may or may not become brilliant in the future (Bale, Lamela, Rose) and those that will only be squad players at best.

Unfortunately most of our signings fall into the middle category in the hope they will make us a profit, but until we start adding 1 or 2 quality players, we will only ever continue to be the almost/nearly/hopefully there kind of side. The saddest thing of all is that this argument has been my view for too many years now and it seems like there is a simple solution that we never seem to want to take.

Will spending more help? Yes. Will increasing our wage structure help attract better players? Yes. Will being in Champions League also help to attract the better players? Yes. Are these all essential? No. There are always quality players who will look beyond those factors. It is the vision that matters most, if the right player sees a team moving in the right direction they will get on board and take that chance. It is down to the club to make sure that vision is believable, achievable and attractive.

Just signing one player that no one saw coming, that raises the perception of the fans, players and our opponents, could be the difference between being 4th or 6th next year. Time for Levy to back his newest victim.

Exactly, could not agree more!.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »
All we can do is trust pochittino (sorry if i`ve spelt his name wrong)and trust that the players that we brought in last season come good . Levy`s not going to sanction a big signing this season .
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 09:18:58 AM »

At the moment I have a positive feeling. :up:

I 'd love to know what you know that I don't know that gives you that positive feeling!

You could reverse that and say: I would love to know what you know to make you feel not positive.

If I could poke my nose in, previous false dawns, too numerous to mention !!

True, however, if you are optimistic (as I am) you could say that eventually Levy/ the manager will get it right. And it is on that philosophy that I am working from. I do believe that Levy does want us to be a top team (that is why he is building a new stadium), however, his failures have been in either picking the wrong manager or not giving them a chance. Is Mauricio Pochettino the right one? I like to say yes; until I have proof he isn't. They are all the right ones until they fail (just look at Moyes).

Voice I seem to remember that you thought that AVB was going to be our Messiah and we all know what a Balls he made of it. As for Pochettino, we will have to wait and see, but, I am very optimistic that given time, he could in fact prove to be a good acquisition.  :up: :up: Providing of course that cock-head Levy allows him the time. :nods: :nods:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:22:00 AM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline dimexi

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »
AVB was the messiah for some, given a fair chance by others, accepted reluctantly by more still, and simply not welcomed and unwanted by a fraction. He came in under difficult circumstances and the chance of him succeeding was always very slim. Sherwood was liked by thee fans but again was destined to fail or was never going to be given a chance by Levy, so we can ignore this period completely.

The one advantage that Pochettino has is that nearly all the fans either believe he can do well or are at least willing to give him a fair chance. So I think we are all right to feel a little more positive and confident as we start the new season and this may just allow us to move back towards the place where we were only a few years ago. Of course the one disadvantage that he and every manager has had in recent times is Levy. How he handles that is what will ultimately decide his fate.

But let us enjoy this brief moment in time when everyone on this forum actually agrees for once. :D :up:
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2014, 03:47:42 PM »

At the moment I have a positive feeling. :up:

I 'd love to know what you know that I don't know that gives you that positive feeling!

You could reverse that and say: I would love to know what you know to make you feel not positive.

If I could poke my nose in, previous false dawns, too numerous to mention !!

True, however, if you are optimistic (as I am) you could say that eventually Levy/ the manager will get it right. And it is on that philosophy that I am working from. I do believe that Levy does want us to be a top team (that is why he is building a new stadium), however, his failures have been in either picking the wrong manager or not giving them a chance. Is Mauricio Pochettino the right one? I like to say yes; until I have proof he isn't. They are all the right ones until they fail (just look at Moyes).

Voice I seem to remember that you thought that AVB was going to be our Messiah and we all know what a Balls he made of it. As for Pochettino, we will have to wait and see, but, I am very optimistic that given time, he could in fact prove to be a good acquisition.  :up: :up: Providing of course that cock-head Levy allows him the time. :nods: :nods:

I wouldn't argue with you in what you said above (Messiah might be a bit too strong though). I still think he should have been given to the end of the season. Nevertheless he has gone l(and Sherwood as well) and now we look forward to a new season and a new manager.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2014, 11:11:58 PM »
Things are looking up a bit in the transfer gossip, but nothing of great importance yet. So I will wait until something concrete happens before I get that positive feeling!

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »
Things are looking up a bit in the transfer gossip, but nothing of great importance yet. So I will wait until something concrete happens before I get that positive feeling!

For me, what we really really needed this window was LB, CB, pacey creative midfielder, and striker.

Well its one down 3 to go by the looks of things.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2014, 04:21:33 PM »

I agree, however, if you believe in everything they say or who we are going to buy then we also must sell. Some of the names they mention seem mouth watering. I do think we should sell Ade and diffidently get another striker. However I think Soldado should stay. Probably another defender as well.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2014, 06:39:33 PM »

I agree, however, if you believe in everything they say or who we are going to buy then we also must sell. Some of the names they mention seem mouth watering. I do think we should sell Ade and diffidently get another striker. However I think Soldado should stay. Probably another defender as well.

Ade, Soldado and Kane to stay with another value addition or bring through another from the youth team.  I think given a run in the team and growing confidence Kane could be a gem, if we dont try we will never know.  Selling Ade is not an option unless we have an experienced proven EPL striker, Hernandez anyone!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2014, 06:50:33 PM »

Selling Ade is not an option unless we have an experienced proven EPL striker, Hernandez anyone!
I'm not sure Hernandez is suited to play as the lone striker (if Pochettino decides to go down that path), but he would be a great addition nevertheless.