SpursNetwork

New Players

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
New Players
« on: September 25, 2015, 01:01:01 PM »
We are now 6 games into the season, and so for only 1 player, Toby Alderweild has started regularly.

Surely the main purpose of bringing in new players is to improve on the ones we get rid of ?? It would seem on the face of it that we may have yet again failed in the window ( possible exception so far Son )

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: New Players
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 01:14:14 PM »
True; we need consistency and the only way we are going to get this is by playing the same team, where possible. As I said somewhere else, the team against Palace was the best I've seen. Pochettino now needs to play the same team that he played against Palace. We can excuse the Ars*nal result (even though I would have loved to beat them), but the Premier league is a different kettle of fish and we need to build up momentum and points. City is going to be a very different and difficult game so we need our best out there.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 01:17:13 PM »
True; we need consistency and the only way we are going to get this is by playing the same team, where possible. As I said somewhere else, the team against Palace was the best I've seen. Pochettino now needs to play the same team that he played against Palace. We can excuse the Ars*nal result (even though I would have loved to beat them), but the Premier league is a different kettle of fish and we need to build up momentum and points. City is going to be a very different and difficult game so we need our best out there.

Correct. Walker/Alder/JVT/Rose is our best back 4 by far. They need to play as many games as they can together. Together with Hugo, they could very easily become the best back 5 in the prem.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 01:58:04 PM »
Correct. Walker/Alder/JVT/Rose is our best back 4 by far. They need to play as many games as they can together. Together with Hugo, they could very easily become the best back 5 in the prem.

Pity they didn't play in mid week v The Arse, we would be facing City tomorrow with the joy of a win behind us!

Offline Jane

• Hero: Lamela
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 05:00:13 PM »
We are now 6 games into the season, and so for only 1 player, Toby Alderweild has started regularly.

Surely the main purpose of bringing in new players is to improve on the ones we get rid of ?? It would seem on the face of it that we may have yet again failed in the window ( possible exception so far Son )

Tottenham have a new team and they must get used to each other, that is why the more they play together the better the results will get. All is not lost if Spurs manager picks the team that beat Palace.

Jane x

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 05:43:33 PM »

Alderweireld was brought in for Kaboul (actually our team captain and regular early last season) and Wimmer for Chiriches (a back-up). Trippier for Naughton (Yedlin was simply bought for marketing purposes). N'Jié was injured and Son only joined at the end of the transfer window. Alli is still very young, but has played more than I actually expected.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 05:41:21 PM »

Alderweireld was brought in for Kaboul (actually our team captain and regular early last season) and Wimmer for Chiriches (a back-up). Trippier for Naughton (Yedlin was simply bought for marketing purposes). N'Jié was injured and Son only joined at the end of the transfer window. Alli is still very young, but has played more than I actually expected.

... and we've done very well with what we've got :up:
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Ruth

• Hero: Harry Kane
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 09:47:41 AM »

Going by our league performances I would say we have done the opposite to what you say, that is failed. Cup matches are used for secondary players to get a try out. As far as I can see our purchases and strengths have been justified by the manager. Of course there is a long way to go and I would like to see us purchase another striker in the January window, as I am worried about injuries, especially to kane and Son, that we need extra cover. But beyond that I am positive.  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :up: :hide:

Offline Don

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 12:56:33 PM »
Howdy all, sorry I haven't been on for awhile, but I am sure you know how it is.

In my humble opinion I thought our new players have fitted in quite well and our managers is doing fine. Our defence, compared to last year has improved. So overall I am impressed. The next couple of weeks and months should be interesting. We are in one less tournament and that should ease things. As a life long Spurs supporter I feel I am coming out of depression and into a sunny climate. Let us hope it does last.