Soldado - 26 Million pound dud??

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Soldado - 26 Million pound dud??
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 06:13:15 PM »
Soldado playing much better with a partner involved in 43% of our goals to date and has a few himself even if most are from the penalty spot that is an area where in recent seasons we have failed also!

Some fans need to give him a break!

It must have been annoying for him to be taken off and replaced by a sold player (Defoe). That must give him some sort of message.

I actually thought it was good management by Sherwood, Soldado had had a poor game and was not in the game so replace him with another striker who went on to score a goal ... good management. Soldado is being given every chance by Sherwood to find his form and there have been flashes but Soldado needs to score plain and simple he needs to find the back of the net and that will give him confidence .... when that happens I'm pretty confident that he will go on to score a few more and end the season with a reasonable tally.

:)
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »
Soldado playing much better with a partner involved in 43% of our goals to date and has a few himself even if most are from the penalty spot that is an area where in recent seasons we have failed also!

It must have been annoying for him to be taken off and replaced by a sold player (Defoe). That must give him some sort of message.

I actually thought it was good management by Sherwood, Soldado had had a poor game and was not in the game so replace him with another striker who went on to score a goal ... good management. Soldado is being given every chance by Sherwood to find his form and there have been flashes but Soldado needs to score plain and simple he needs to find the back of the net and that will give him confidence .... when that happens I'm pretty confident that he will go on to score a few more and end the season with a reasonable tally.

Well, let us hope you are right.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 08:42:38 AM »

I'm with you on this Ugs, you don't become a bad player overnight, his confidence is at Rock Bottom, mainly because our previous manager continually played him as a lone striker, add to that the fact that he was getting little or no service, at least now he has Ade who is trying to feed him, I don't think it will be that long before we start to see the REAL SOLDADO.!!!!!!

:ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah:
:SN:[font

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 12:35:52 PM »

I'm with you on this Ugs, you don't become a bad player overnight, his confidence is at Rock Bottom, mainly because our previous manager continually played him as a lone striker, add to that the fact that he was getting little or no service, at least now he has Ade who is trying to feed him, I don't think it will be that long before we start to see the REAL SOLDADO.!!!!!!

Agreed, plus he also makes some useful assists that prove he does have class, just lacks confidence in front of goal. IMO it will come.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 04:37:44 PM »

Whatever the rights or wrongs on the managers we need to finish in the top 4. That is where the money is and we need the money to compete with the top teams. A new stadium will help; but that will take a couple of years.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 06:53:26 AM »

Whatever the rights or wrongs on the managers we need to finish in the top 4. That is where the money is and we need the money to compete with the top teams. A new stadium will help; but that will take a couple of years.

Unfortunately Voice, whether you like it or not, the wrongs of the previous manager do have a direct bearing on Soldado and his present form, he (AVB) has to take some responsibility for his (Soldado's) current form. :nods: :nods:

Finishing in the Top 4, Money and a New stadium has absolutely nothing to do with this Topic. :nope: :nope:

>:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »

Unfortunately Voice, whether you like it or not, the wrongs of the previous manager do have a direct bearing on Soldado and his present form, he (AVB) has to take some responsibility for his (Soldado's) current form. :nods: :nods:

Finishing in the Top 4, Money and a New stadium has absolutely nothing to do with this Topic. :nope: :nope:

Of course it has to do with this topic; it all leads to Spurs doing well and finishing as high as possible.

The problem isn't to do with previous managers, but Levy making bad decisions.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 07:02:43 PM »

Of course it has to do with this topic; it all leads to Spurs doing well and finishing as high as possible.

Actually the problem was to do with AVB playing Soldado up front on his own when the whole world knew that Soldado played in a two up front and scored all his goals in the box (apart from one). Thus AVB asked him to do a job that he was not cut out for and eventually due to Soldado's inability to play that way destroyed his confidence because he was getting no service, no assistance and no goals !!!
Now we wait for your pointless argument trying to justify your statement and make everybody else out to be footballing morons because you are always right !!!

:grin:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 07:05:29 PM »

Actually the problem was to do with AVB playing Soldado up front on his own when the whole world knew that Soldado played in a two up front and scored all his goals in the box (apart from one). Thus AVB asked him to do a job that he was not cut out for and eventually due to Soldado's inability to play that way destroyed his confidence because he was getting no service, no assistance and no goals !!!
Now we wait for your pointless argument trying to justify your statement and make everybody else out to be footballing morons because you are always right !!!

:grin:

Haven't you jumped the gun a bit? ;)
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 06:36:46 AM »
               Oh please excuse me Voice, but I thought that this topic was named " SOLDADO - 26 million pound dud" , but obviously I am mistaken!!   :-[ :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:39:11 AM by Paul Finch »

Offline RSS61

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 07:55:44 AM »
I have tried to give Soldado the benefit of the doubt due to the fact that he has scored all of his penalties, most of which were under a lot of pressure at the time, and something that none of our other strikers have done with any consistency. That, coupled with his nice touches and assists has made me think there is a top striker waiting to get out.
However, 26 million is an awful lot of money to pay for anyone, and for me he has to start scoring soon, or he will end up another Torres / Carroll. This, coupled with 30 odd mill for Lamela represents 56 million on 2 players who are struggling big time.
For me, the question should be : Baldini - 45 grand a week dud ? If Levy were a CEO in business, surely he would have been given the dreaded vote of confidence by now, for some of his decision making has been terrible. When will he ever learn that you have to let the manager make his own decisions over which players he wants.

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »

I have tried to give Soldado the benefit of the doubt due to the fact that he has scored all of his penalties, most of which were under a lot of pressure at the time, and something that none of our other strikers have done with any consistency. That, coupled with his nice touches and assists has made me think there is a top striker waiting to get out.
However, 26 million is an awful lot of money to pay for anyone, and for me he has to start scoring soon, or he will end up another Torres / Carroll. This, coupled with 30 odd mill for Lamela represents 56 million on 2 players who are struggling big time.
For me, the question should be : Baldini - 45 grand a week dud ? If Levy were a CEO in business, surely he would have been given the dreaded vote of confidence by now, for some of his decision making has been terrible. When will he ever learn that you have to let the manager make his own decisions over which players he wants.

RSS, Whilst I agree with some of your post there are some points that I disagree with: Namely (1) Lamela is only 21 years old, speaks little or no English and has a 30 mill Pound price tag on his head, one can only imagine the pressure the KID must be under, he is undoubtedly a massive talent with a big future, and he needs to be given time. :nods: :nods: :nods: (2) Soldado, I have made my opinions on him very clear in previous topics, unfortunately AVB chose to play him as a lone striker(you have to realize he is 5'10" tall and has pretty much always operated with another strike partner) and because of the lack of help his confidence is at an all time low, we are now starting to see his true qualities since TS has partnered him with Ade, you have to agree that there has been a definite improvement, you do not become a bad player overnite, he is a quality striker and I feel sure that we will start to see that sooner rather than later. :nods: :nods: :nods: :nods:
        With regards to Baldini and Levy, yes there is an element of truth in what you say and I think it will only be a matter of time before some serious questions are asked of the two of them. We will see.  :-\ :-\ :-\

:up: :up: :up:

Offline RSS61

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 10:50:24 AM »

RSS, Whilst I agree with some of your post there are some points that I disagree with: Namely (1) Lamela is only 21 years old, speaks little or no English and has a 30 mill Pound price tag on his head, one can only imagine the pressure the KID must be under, he is undoubtedly a massive talent with a big future, and he needs to be given time. :nods: :nods: :nods: (2) Soldado, I have made my opinions on him very clear in previous topics, unfortunately AVB chose to play him as a lone striker(you have to realize he is 5'10" tall and has pretty much always operated with another strike partner) and because of the lack of help his confidence is at an all time low, we are now starting to see his true qualities since TS has partnered him with Ade, you have to agree that there has been a definite improvement, you do not become a bad player overnite, he is a quality striker and I feel sure that we will start to see that sooner rather than later. :nods: :nods: :nods: :nods:
        With regards to Baldini and Levy, yes there is an element of truth in what you say and I think it will only be a matter of time before some serious questions are asked of the two of them. We will see.  :-\ :-\ :-\

:up: :up: :up:

Exactly - So why did not AVB / Baldini / Levy think about these points before splashing out 56 million ? Unless AVB was lied to regarding which players he could have to play his method of football ? In which case my feelings about the latter two are probably justified. As for Soldado's definite improvement, I am not sure what you mean, as he still hasn't scored a goal.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2014, 03:39:27 PM »
               Oh please excuse me Voice, but I thought that this topic was named " SOLDADO - 26 million pound dud" , but obviously I am mistaken!!   :-[ :-[ :-[

Of course it is about Soldado,  but that has many connotations; which leads to other paths. You will find everything said on this thread leads to Soldado's door.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2014, 03:41:11 PM »

Soldado is working well with Ado and so long as we are winning we should give him a bit longer.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do