SpursNetwork

Transfer Window is now closed

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Transfer Window is now closed
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »
       After having watched Holtby's introduction in the 2nd Half against Norwich, I really think that he will allow Bale to play a more centrally attacking role, which will give us more attacking options, this could possibly be the reason why we never bought another striker, his one touch passing was exceptional, everyone found its target, and his first touch was also good, he really looks to be an exceptional talent.
He might just be the playmaker we have been craving, I hope I am right, but we shall see.

:up: :up: :up:

I will also go along with that. I noticed that Spurs have recalled Kane from Norwich.

Levy did try to get another striker - according to the papers - but it fell through. I still believe that our squad is strong enough to finish in the top four.
Well, Kane has bags of potential, but he is nowhere ready yet to terrorize defenders of EPL and Europe.

To be fair nobody is ready until they are ready. They said the same about Bale and other players. Suddenly you put a player in and he is successful, not ready, or fails.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »
Stop dreaming guys !!  Willian will never be a Spurs player and neither will Diamio.  As soon as they are available they will be snapped up by City or Chelsea, we can't compete with the wages.  We may as well have made a bid for Messi !!!  When we qualified for Champions League with Harry did we buy a decent striker then? No !!

And do we need them? What we need is a team of players working together (not star names), like the Push & Run, the Double team or even Ipswich (under Ramsey). The person who will achieve that will be the manager; is AVB the one? Only time will tell. At the moment it is too early to tell.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2013, 07:34:37 AM »
Voice,
         I will agree that we need a team of players that will work together. AVB has to get them playing as a team.
        Are you telling us that the Push and Run side had no Star Names, Arthur Rowe might disagree with you, howabout Eddie Baily,Billy Nicholson, Alf Ramsey, Ted Ditchburn, Les Medley, Arthur Willis, Ron Burgess to name 7, all internationals, all Stars. The Double Team:- Bill Brown, Ron Henry, Danny Blanchflower, Maurice Norman, Dave Mackay, Terry Medwin, John White, Bobby Smith, Cliff Jones, Mel Hopkins, all Internationals, all Stars, most of whom were household names, surely that in itself makes them Star Names. Billy Nicholson would turn in his Grave if he heard you say that his Double Team had no Star Names. The common denominator was a Manager that got them to play as a Team, and a Chairman who was prepared to spend on players that his Manager wanted. I seem to remember Spurs broke the then Transfer record to bring one James Greaves to Spurs(99,999 pounds) from AC Milan.
       Tottenham has always had Star Names. You can go through every side since the Double Side and Spurs have always had Star Names, a lot of them purchased, why because the Chairmen in the past have backed their managers/coaches and invested in the team, something that our present one doesn't seem to want to do, admittedly wages and fees have increased, but he just doesn't seem to want to back his coach, and unfortunately, by him not buying in this window(apart from Holtby) it may well cost us a place in the CL next year, but as you say, only time will tell.

:o :o :o
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 07:38:00 AM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »
I was even ridiculed by a certain member of this forum telling me I know nothing about my club, but AVB statex in an interview that we would make no major signings.... funny how that member has gone very quiet !!!

I wonder which member that was? If that member was me; I can't be on 24 hours a day waiting for you to reply to me. You should know that I always - ALWAYS - reply to anybody who disagrees with me.

I am not actually sure what you want me to reply to; Yes AVB did say that he wasn't going to make any major signings, however, that statement wasn't actually true because Levy tried to sign the Brazilian; sadly that failed. Also; I can’t see what that has to do with you either knowing or not knowing anything about football. What you were talking about was factual so even if somebody didn’t know anything about football they could have drawn that conclusion.

See the 4th post on this thread....

:hide:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2013, 12:09:22 PM »
Voice,
         I will agree that we need a team of players that will work together. AVB has to get them playing as a team.
        Are you telling us that the Push and Run side had no Star Names, Arthur Rowe might disagree with you, howabout Eddie Baily,Billy Nicholson, Alf Ramsey, Ted Ditchburn, Les Medley, Arthur Willis, Ron Burgess to name 7, all internationals, all Stars. The Double Team:- Bill Brown, Ron Henry, Danny Blanchflower, Maurice Norman, Dave Mackay, Terry Medwin, John White, Bobby Smith, Cliff Jones, Mel Hopkins, all Internationals, all Stars, most of whom were household names, surely that in itself makes them Star Names. Billy Nicholson would turn in his Grave if he heard you say that his Double Team had no Star Names. The common denominator was a Manager that got them to play as a Team, and a Chairman who was prepared to spend on players that his Manager wanted. I seem to remember Spurs broke the then Transfer record to bring one James Greaves to Spurs(99,999 pounds) from AC Milan.
       Tottenham has always had Star Names. You can go through every side since the Double Side and Spurs have always had Star Names, a lot of them purchased, why because the Chairmen in the past have backed their managers/coaches and invested in the team, something that our present one doesn't seem to want to do, admittedly wages and fees have increased, but he just doesn't seem to want to back his coach, and unfortunately, by him not buying in this window(apart from Holtby) it may well cost us a place in the CL next year, but as you say, only time will tell.

:o :o :o

Both the double team and Push & run had star players. Some of them, though, became stars after or during Spurs success. Like Bale and Lennon at the moment.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2013, 12:18:11 AM »
Not too many became Stars on the back of Spurs success, and what success have we had to make Bale and Lennon Stars, I would say that they always were going to be Stars, whether we are successful or not.

:nods: :nods: :nods: [size=78%] [/size]
:SN:[font

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2013, 11:44:23 AM »
Not too many became Stars on the back of Spurs success, and what success have we had to make Bale and Lennon Stars, I would say that they always were going to be Stars, whether we are successful or not.

Agree totally, you could also stick Berba in that bracket, many players have started with/been noticed and then taken the spring board to fame and what is viewed a bigger club and usually to not quite make it or have the same impact as they did when they played for us!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »
FFS well worst possible senario has happened, Defoe looks bad Ade gone we have no strikers left.

Our season is at huge risk, levy has to take the blame for trying to be too f**king clever and leaving an attempt to get our target striker till the last few hours of the last day of the window!!! what a c*nt!!!

Now we really on Dempsey pmsl laugh or cry!

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2013, 05:45:12 PM »

Whether stars or not my point was that a team of working disciplined footballers is more important than a team of star players.

I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2013, 10:24:21 PM »
FFS well worst possible senario has happened, Defoe looks bad Ade gone we have no strikers left.

Our season is at huge risk, levy has to take the blame for trying to be too f**king clever and leaving an attempt to get our target striker till the last few hours of the last day of the window!!! what a c*nt!!!

Quite rightly the blame is on Levy and Levy alone. I hope that AVB is able to remould the team in such a way that we can score goals until Ade and defoe return.

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #175 on: February 04, 2013, 08:26:03 AM »

Quite rightly the blame is on Levy and Levy alone. I hope that AVB is able to remould the team in such a way that we can score goals until Ade and defoe return.

Agreed Joolz. Thats the most important and positive viewpoint at the moment. Its no good keeping on about what might have been. For sure we needed a striker, but who knows why we didn't get one. One things for sure, one of our targets, Wilian, went to Russia for 30 or so million, and is probably on 200k a week. Can we really compete with that ?

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »
Its a hell of a test for AVB now, and its somewhat unfair.

if we fail to get a CL spot AVB will be blamed and pressure to sack him will be huge.  AVB has what it takes to get us where we need to be but sadly from recent events it seems Levy will not invest in the team as required.

Not looking forward to this second half of the season.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »

if we fail to get a CL spot AVB will be blamed and pressure to sack him will be huge.  AVB has what it takes to get us where we need to be but sadly from recent events it seems Levy will not invest in the team as required.

Why are we surprised he hasn't backed anyone in January except for 'Arry when he first took over and that was only because he had no choice after he had sold all the good players in the summer before !!!!

AVB is now between a rock and a hard place with no room to manoevoure !!!!

>:(
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2013, 07:25:40 PM »

Why are we surprised he hasn't backed anyone in January except for 'Arry when he first took over and that was only because he had no choice after he had sold all the good players in the summer before !!!!

AVB is now between a rock and a hard place with no room to manoevoure !!!!

>:(

And the evidence that says he didn't backed AVB or even Harry?
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2013, 08:24:35 PM »
I wouldn't have backed Redknapp either after he resigned Keane and Chimbonda.
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv