SpursNetwork

Hughton laments schedule

Offline Daniisco

• http://spursnetwork.com
Hughton laments schedule
« on: April 08, 2007, 12:38:20 PM »
Tottenham's assistant manager Chris Hughton lamented the fact his side were forced to play a Premiership fixture just 39 hours after a European game, in the aftermath of Spurs' 1-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge.

Spurs rested five players for Saturday's early kick-off in West London and it was obviously somewhat of a draining exercise for those players that had also played in Thursday's 1-0 defeat against Sevilla.

Hughton, who stepped in for an 'under the weather' Martin Jol post-match, feels Tottenham were never out of a contest decided by Ricardo Carvalho's second half winner, but admitted the effects of a busy schedule were there for all to see.

"We always felt we were very much in the game," said Hughton.

"There is no doubt that the schedule had an effect. How you gauge that effect though is almost impossible.

"We certainly would have been grateful and happy with the extra day with regards to our preparation. But what I can say is that the players who did play were certainly a credit to us and the fact we finished strongly, is a testament to them."

Hughton was quick not to attribute blame to any of his players with regards Carvalho's winner, despite the fact the Portuguese managed to beat Paul Robinson from more than 30 yards.

He added: "We could possibly have put more pressure on the ball for their goal. But when you concede a goal like that you are always disappointed.

"But sometimes you have to give them credit. It was a wonderful strike by the lad. We've seen him do that before and sometimes you have to credit them."

The schedule is ridiculous atm. Chelsea could have easily moved the game to Sunday, they would have more time to prepare for Valancia than we did for Saturdays game. But that's the power they have these days.

But I suppose on the other hand if you want to be successful in football you going to get a fixture pile up.

Hughton laments schedule
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 01:36:53 PM »
it is so iratating and disraspectful to makes us play 2 games in 3 days.
did any one see it i was out during match of the day.

Hughton laments schedule
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »
The players can be injured from consecutive tough games which are happening actually. As I heard, Chimbo and Rocha's conditions are not so good either.
This is ridiculous. Players should be protected from any harmful environments.

Hughton laments schedule
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 01:42:32 PM »
It was too soon to play a tough team like Chelsea, extra day of rest would have made a big difference.  Losing the game was bad, but we have slipped down the table again.

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
  • Season Ticket: No
Hughton laments schedule
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 02:06:31 PM »
Wrong time Wrong place for that game

we definatly needed another day, and we needed a result

Offline Daniisco

• http://spursnetwork.com
Hughton laments schedule
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 02:48:54 PM »
I can't wait until Chelsea want a game changed, and the other team says no. See how they like it.

Hughton laments schedule
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »
people always say they should be able to play 3 times a week if they are getting paid 50k. there is some truth in that but at the same time if the body physicly cant do it then surly something is wrong.