SpursNetwork

Jimmy Greaves

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
Jimmy Greaves
« on: May 06, 2015, 01:04:41 PM »
Just got back from Spain to hear the sad news about my hero and legend Jimmy Greaves.

Here's wishing him a recovery from his serious condition.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
Re: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 02:42:34 PM »
      So sad to hear this news about Jimmy Greaves,  :( :( "Get Well Soon Jimmy" I sincerely hope that you make a full and speedy recovery. :) :) Undoubtedly one the Greatest Goal Scorers in SPURS History, I have many memories of watching you play and score for our Great Club.  :ohyeah: :ohyeah:
:SN:[font

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 05:08:41 PM »
Yes, get well soon. One of your all time great players.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 07:51:41 PM »
Just when he was about to be inducted into Spurs' Hall of Fame. Too late anyway, he should have been the first name there.

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 09:43:41 PM »
Just when he was about to be inducted into Spurs' Hall of Fame. Too late anyway, he should have been the first name there.

He refused to join, until a few weeks back.

Anyway let's hope for a speedy recovery.

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 07:47:48 AM »

Oh, didn't know that. Was it because his transfer to West Ham?

Offline RSS61

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 08:02:48 AM »

Yes Riff, as far as I know he was transferred to West Ham against his wishes, because Billy Nick thought he was finished, and besides he wanted Martin Peters, which was part of the deal.

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 08:53:08 AM »

Yes Riff, as far as I know he was transferred to West Ham against his wishes, because Billy Nick thought he was finished, and besides he wanted Martin Peters, which was part of the deal.
That is the dark side of any professional athlete's career - today you're the king, adored by your team-mates, managers, supporters, but tomorrow you could be thrown away like an old toy. Life can be ruthless...

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 04:39:30 PM »

To be fair he was near the end of his career, and of course he had drinking problems, which Bill Nick knew about, so it was probably the best time for him to go. A good manager will always put the club first, before loyalty to a player. And don't forget, he was also a bit of a rebel that had caused the manager a few problems.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 07:27:28 AM »
Jimmy Greaves: "The biggest regret of my whole football career was leaving White Hart Lane in 1970. My interest weakened after that. I was heartbroken."

Offline Don

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 07:51:07 PM »
Get well Jimmy. I met him on many occasions. He was one of the best and greatest I've ever seen.

From Don to Jimmy, get well.

Offline Spursx

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 08:07:05 PM »
Just saw this. I met the great man once when he was going into the Lane. I said hi and I smiled. Get well soon, a great man, great player, very funny and always a game for a laugh. Give us another Greaves and we would be in for a shout for top honours. And what hell would he be worth in today's funny money?

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 10:30:03 AM »
     I was fortunate enough to spend a Saturday evening after a game with both him and Alan Gilzean having a few drinks along with a few mates of mine, he was funny, very knowledgeable about the game and extremely entertaining as was Gilly. I like every other Spurs fan hope and pray that he makes a full and speedy recovery. He is and always will have a special place in my memory. Get well soon Jimmy you are indeed a Spurs LEGEND.  :nods: :nods: :nods:
:SN:[font

Offline Spursx

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 07:35:48 PM »
     I was fortunate enough to spend a Saturday evening after a game with both him and Alan Gilzean having a few drinks along with a few mates of mine, he was funny, very knowledgeable about the game and extremely entertaining as was Gilly. I like every other Spurs fan hope and pray that he makes a full and speedy recovery. He is and always will have a special place in my memory. Get well soon Jimmy you are indeed a Spurs LEGEND.  :nods: :nods: :nods:

Do you agree that in the past players like Jimmy Greaves were easily assessable? Now all we see of the stars is when they enter Bill Nicholson way in their posh and expensive cars. My dad used to tell me about the times when he popped on a bus, going to WHL, and on the same bus was Greaves, Nicholson and White. You will never see that nowadays.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 01:23:39 PM »

Do you agree that in the past players like Jimmy Greaves were easily assessable? Now all we see of the stars is when they enter Bill Nicholson way in their posh and expensive cars. My dad used to tell me about the times when he popped on a bus, going to WHL, and on the same bus was Greaves, Nicholson and White. You will never see that nowadays.

Yes you are right, as Keith Burkinshaw famously said on leaving WHL " There used to be a football club there" Now there is just a business.