SpursNetwork

4 points from United, but what have we missed?

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: 4 points from United, but what have we missed?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 07:42:14 PM »
What makes you so sure that theres alot going on behind the scenes then Voice, or are you just speculating that there is alot going on behind the scenes ?
So your not as smart as you think you are then Voice or are you just speculating your smarter than the rest of us or maybe your speculating like the rest of us !!

Maybe you should stop speculating and offer an opinion like the rest of us !!!!

???
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 08:04:23 PM »
What makes you so sure that theres alot going on behind the scenes then Voice, or are you just speculating that there is alot going on behind the scenes ?
So your not as smart as you think you are then Voice or are you just speculating your smarter than the rest of us or maybe your speculating like the rest of us !!

???

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D But you made me chuckle.

But don’t think that AVB and Mr Levy know this? I am sure there is a lot going on behind the scenes. If for some reason they don’t buy maybe it is because they can’t get the right players or there are some other reasons we don’t know about. As fans we try to take a superior view that we are the ones who know and the manager and directors haven’t got a clue. If that, however, is the case then it doesn’t say much about those fans who support their team but are very critical. Maybe they’ve just got money to burn. Nonetheless I prefer to take the view that not all fans are as smart as they think they are. I am sure that those behind the scenes are aware of the situation and will take appropriate action.

I would say that Levy knows more about money than me, and AVB knows more about football. But that doesn't mean that Levy knows more about the game of football than me and what I can see with my very eyes. If he knows as much about football as I and many other fans do, then he would surely have come to the same conclusion?

Now there would be two things which would then change his course of action i.e. to not go and splash £20 million on a player:

1.) AVB (who knows more about football than you and I) says to Levy. 'No Mr Levy, I do not think we should spend any of your money. The side does not need to be strengthened in the way your football fan mind is telling you.'

OR

2.) Levy values money above the knowledge of what you, I, what he sees and knows in his football fan's mind, AND the superior football knowledge of AVB. Putting the money above a footballing decision.

That is not to say that we should spend money we do not have, which is where Levy does have the right to make decisions which are in the best interest of the club financially. If Levy is able to say, no if we spend that Money then Spurs will be at a loss and be at risk financially, then he would be correct to overall our football desires as both fans and even his wiser footballing mind of a manager.
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 08:35:54 PM »

???
An opinion without substance is just pissing in the wind.
I never said there is a lot going on but presumed there is a lot going. I just said they know the situation and will make the appropriate decisions. At the same time if they don’t sign anybody then they have their reasons.

I never said I was  “smart” put talking in general terms. I am quite happy for others to judge me as they wish.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 08:52:54 PM »
I would say that Levy knows more about money than me, and AVB knows more about football. But that doesn't mean that Levy knows more about the game of football than me and what I can see with my very eyes. If he knows as much about football as I and many other fans do, then he would surely have come to the same conclusion?
Yes, but what Levy has over the fans is that we don’t know what is discussed when dealing with transfers, and he does. He might know as much as any fan but he is in the position to do something about it. That is what I meant.

Now there would be two things which would then change his course of action i.e. to not go and splash £20 million on a player:

1.)   AVB (who knows more about football than you and I) says to Levy. 'No Mr Levy, I do not think we should spend any of your money. The side does not need to be strengthened in the way your football fan mind is telling you.' 

OR

2.)   Levy values money above the knowledge of what you, I, what he sees and knows in his football fan's mind, AND the superior football knowledge of AVB. Putting the money above a footballing decision. 
They are silly scenarios as it is not as simple as that. Like; is the right player available? Can the club afford him? They might want to buy but can’t find the right person. Don’t forget that the club has been accused of buying donkey’s in the past. So it might be better to get nothing than anybody.  Also; AVB might think that we have sufficient cover; we will only know at the end of the season if he is right. Don’t forget whatever he does or doesn’t do will be decided on our final  league position at the end of the season.

That is not to say that we should spend money we do not have, which is where Levy does have the right to make decisions which are in the best interest of the club financially. If Levy is able to say, no if we spend that Money then Spurs will be at a loss and be at risk financially, then he would be correct to overall our football desires as both fans and even his wiser footballing mind of a manager.

Agreed; but he isn’t going to tell us. Therefore we can only work on the assumption that whatever decision he/ they make is in the best interests of the club as a whole. He has said in the past for Spurs to compete with the top teams and have a brighter future then we have to move from our current ground, build a bigger stadium with attachments that will genrate Spurs more money; more money equals better players and better wages for those players.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline dimexi

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »

They are silly scenarios as it is not as simple as that. Like; is the right player available? Can the club afford him? They might want to buy but can’t find the right person. Don’t forget that the club has been accused of buying donkey’s in the past. So it might be better to get nothing than anybody.  Also; AVB might think that we have sufficient cover; we will only know at the end of the season if he is right. Don’t forget whatever he does or doesn’t do will be decided on our final  league position at the end of the season.

Of course they are silly scenarios but unless you put things into an absurd analogy it is hard to discuss things with people who are generally stuck in their ways and take things a little too seriously sometimes. Therefore, taking what probably is actually quite close to the truth, in meaning, and taking it to its extreme and ridiculous conclusion, it looks exactly like I said.

- You said 'it isn't as simple as that' which makes out that what I have said is simple, yet if you analyse it properly, it most definitely is not that. The silly scenarios need to be taken in conjunction with the final statement, not split apart to dissect the individual parts. The point is that Levy has to wear different hats, one as a fan and one as a money man. The question is, which hat does he value more than the other?

If he is a fan first and foremost he would do anything to make Spurs the best footballing side possible, but without putting Spurs at financial risk. If he is a money man first then no matter what, spurs will not take any risk that is not seen as a way to make more money. But knows that we need to be reasonably successful in order to maximise his profits.

Now what we need is a discussion based on some actual ideas around the whos, whats, whys and hows of making spurs more successful. Rather than just being blind believers in the religion of Spurs aka Levy aka AVB, where to wonder is blasphemy, to ask questions is rebellion, to dissent and dare to challenge their authority is deemed treasonous. Maybe we may get somewhere.

Or we can be sheeple and make the assumption that he/they make decisions with the best interests of the club at heart. Never question, stay quiet, believe, believe, believe and then one day you turn round and it has fallen apart around you. You know that approach has done us so well in the past. Wars fought without just cause, apartheid , poverty, hunger, destruction of the environment, pollution, slavery, the list goes on and on. Too many people just trusting those in power... until one day someone draws a line and says enough. Now life at spurs is not that extreme, in fact it is pretty good right now. But never expect or tell me we can only work on that particular assumption.

As you have said, we can only judge him at the end of the season. Which is fair and valid, but if we only ever do that, if we are unable to foresee potential collapse, if we are not taking action to prevent unnecessary difficulties, or striving to be the best we could be, then we will look back at this time and ask, why didn't we do something sooner? 

Maybe next year...

Offline pieboy

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 10:57:48 PM »
Heres a question to everyone. In today economic climate, why doe anyone believe there is even any money?
Apart from Man city and Chelsea does any club even spend more than £10m net off all transfers  any more?

Everton, Arsenel , Newcastle, Villa, Liverpool have hardly spent anything in recent years. So why should we be any different? Maybe the money just isn't there anymore?

Also our wages have definitely increase drastically since Jol was in charge. So even thou money is not being spent in transfers, the wage bill i think has increased in terms of higher wages and the number of snr players on big monies.

No making an excuse, I'm just putting the idea out for everybody to discuss

Offline dimexi

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 11:09:24 PM »
Heres a question to everyone. In today economic climate, why doe anyone believe there is even any money?
Apart from Man city and Chelsea does any club even spend more than £10m net off all transfers  any more?

Everton, Arsenel , Newcastle, Villa, Liverpool have hardly spent anything in recent years. So why should we be any different? Maybe the money just isn't there anymore?

Also our wages have definitely increase drastically since Jol was in charge. So even thou money is not being spent in transfers, the wage bill i think has increased in terms of higher wages and the number of snr players on big monies.

No making an excuse, I'm just putting the idea out for everybody to discuss

I can see where you are coming from. But the truth is that today's economic climate is pretty much a controlled system collapse, designed in order to obtain more money in the long run. Those owners running football clubs are not doing without. Funny, how football clubs are getting more money now from ticket prices, TV, sponsorship etc. than ever before. Okay so yes the wages have gone up as well to reflect this, but there is no downturn for the big clubs. They will just use the economic downturn as a way to cut down on expenditure, whilst still taking more income than ever before. It is a game, played by the fat cats. When times are good in society they will have to fight more to get you to spend more of your increased disposable income on them, therefore will try and deliver a better product.
Maybe next year...

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 08:11:08 AM »
If we go back just 4 years, to the 2009 January window, Harry's first one in charge.

Levy spent 42 million on the likes of Keane Defoe Palacios Chimbonda which on the face of it was necessary at the time.
But how many of them worked out ? Defoe, and thats it.

What with transfer inflation caused by Man City, etc, we could expect a similar bunch of second rate players these days to cost 60 mill +.

Therefore is it any wonder that Levy might be a little apprehensive about blank cheques ??

IMO if AVB has identified the kind of player(s) he needs, in private to Levy, without disrupting the current excellent team morale, and a prudent deal can be done, then I think it will. I do not feel that AVB needs telling what our weaknesses are. He has already been quoted as saying that our striker situation is a risk.

Pure speculation admittedly, but then so is everybody elses opinion.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »
We are all wasting our time, no matter what we say, whether we speculate, state facts or make light of situations, Voice will always tell us we are wrong, that we don't know what we are talking about, that we are speculating, that we don't know what is going on behind closed doors, and that we should put our trust in Mr.Levy. Voice will never admit all the time his ARSEHOLE points to the ground that, maybe just maybe MR f**kING LEVY doesn't care where we finish in the league, doesn't care if we play CL, doesn't give a flying f**k what we, the supporters want, the only thing he is interested in is making a BIG FAT PROFIT, someone should tell him(Levy) that perhaps he has to SPECULATE  in order to ACCUMULATE. No doubt Voice you will tell me that I am wrong with my last statement(the highlighted one).

:nods: :nods: :nods:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:03:26 AM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 09:09:21 AM »
Yes, you have all guessed correctly, I am totally pissed off with Mr Levy, a word of advice to you Mr Levy, open your Cheque book and give the man you employed as Coach the opportunity to achieve what he is trying to achieve, and that is something we all crave, some long awaited success.

:tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »
Dear Mr Finch,

Thank you for kind advice. It is something I will take into consideration.

Yours sincerely,

D. Levy

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 10:23:01 AM »
I appreciate your humour Riff, I must admit I am sitting here chuckling as I read your post.

:ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah:

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 10:26:46 AM »
A PS to your Post Riff.

Not that I give a s**t what you, AVB or the rest of Fans want.
 :nope: :nope: :nope:

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 10:34:54 AM »
Doesn't matter, made a nice profit.

lol

DL

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 12:40:12 PM »
I would say without a shadow of a doubt that both Levy & AVB religiously read all our posts daily. There is no doubt in my mind that they will take all our comments into serious consideration and that Levy will pull his cheque book out shortly just to please us!

:2funny: :2funny: