SpursNetwork

Friedel Dropped

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Friedel Dropped
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 09:59:26 PM »

We have four Europa League group games left. Should we qualify for the next round, then next games will be played mid-February. We will have League Cup tie against Norwich on October 31 and I'm not sure when the next round will be played. The FA Cup third round games will be played on January 5. So, it seems that if present set-up continues (Friedel in League and Lloris in cup games), Lloris will have at least five more appearances this year (should Villas-Boas not give Cudicini or Gomes a run-out). All in all, I don't think Lloris will be happy with five games in more than two months.

I see your point, just do not think we should drop a player because of one slightly lower than par performance, when he has been so good for us. I am up for Lloris getting more games,  but do not think he should have his place given to him on a plate. Just be open with them both: Friedel 'keep playing like that I will have to drop you' 
Lloris 'keep showing what you can do in training, you will get your chance but have to be ready to take it' pressure on both to perform, may the best man win!
Maybe next year...

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 10:55:01 PM »
Lloris is the french captain and one of the best keepers in the world with alot of mileage on the clock, the last thing we want is for him to start to get a mental block about playing for us and feeling that his future isnt here at THFC.

I think we should install Lloris sooner rather than later play him in the league and Brad in cups, Brad isnt our future for the No1 position Lloris is.

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 11:04:29 PM »

We have four Europa League group games left. Should we qualify for the next round, then next games will be played mid-February. We will have League Cup tie against Norwich on October 31 and I'm not sure when the next round will be played. The FA Cup third round games will be played on January 5. So, it seems that if present set-up continues (Friedel in League and Lloris in cup games), Lloris will have at least five more appearances this year (should Villas-Boas not give Cudicini or Gomes a run-out). All in all, I don't think Lloris will be happy with five games in more than two months.

I see your point, just do not think we should drop a player because of one slightly lower than par performance, when he has been so good for us. I am up for Lloris getting more games,  but do not think he should have his place given to him on a plate. Just be open with them both: Friedel 'keep playing like that I will have to drop you' 
Lloris 'keep showing what you can do in training, you will get your chance but have to be ready to take it' pressure on both to perform, may the best man win!
I'm not saying Friedel should be dropped. I'm happy we bought Lloris because he's still young and has world at his feet, but to be honest it was a somewhat weird time to bring him in. Friedel has been undisputed number one for some time, he's never injured. We also have Gomes (still a very good keeper, I'm sure) and Cudicini (a decent back-up). So, for some reason they brought in Lloris who is a world class keeper and the captain of France national team. Player of his calibre should not and cannot sit on the bench. Maybe it's ok for Man City and Chelsea to keep a bench and reserve team full of world class players, but I assumed Spurs were more clever. I feel that at that time it was a weird decision as we actually didn't need another keeper. Now, let's see how our management deals with the situation.

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 07:43:40 AM »

I'm not saying Friedel should be dropped. I'm happy we bought Lloris because he's still young and has world at his feet, but to be honest it was a somewhat weird time to bring him in. Friedel has been undisputed number one for some time, he's never injured. We also have Gomes (still a very good keeper, I'm sure) and Cudicini (a decent back-up). So, for some reason they brought in Lloris who is a world class keeper and the captain of France national team. Player of his calibre should not and cannot sit on the bench. Maybe it's ok for Man City and Chelsea to keep a bench and reserve team full of world class players, but I assumed Spurs were more clever. I feel that at that time it was a weird decision as we actually didn't need another keeper. Now, let's see how our management deals with the situation.

Personally I think that we did the right thing in buying arguably one of the best young keepers in Europe for a very decent price.
We have to be looking to the future, and I am very surprised that we managed to get him when we failed with 2 other signings in August.
Now he's here then AVB needs to bite the bullett and install him as no1. Brad has been, and still is a great keeper, but he is 41 and we need to gradually implement our policy of giving the younger players a chance. As has been stated we need to build understanding with our back 4. Despite our setback on Saturday, 4th place will be wide open again this year, and with a couple of decent signings in January, coupled with a return from injuries to Kaboul, Naughton and Parker, we will be up there I am sure. We do not want Lloris to be off next year, now do we ?

Offline Yiddite

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 09:55:21 AM »
There is a rumour going around that Brad is considering retiring when
his contract is up for renewal at the end of the season.

Therefore Lloris was a good buy,looking ahead,  but he needs games to keep him
match fit and his mind focused.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 09:58:22 AM »
Seems he can't go on forever. The club should appoint him as the gk coach.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 11:46:20 AM »

I think that would be a good move especially if he can pass on his methods for staying match fit and sharp!

I really do want to see Lloris as our number 1 before the season is out otherwise we will lose him he is too high a calibre to sit on the bench.  Friedel for the cups and Lloris for the EPL games for the remainder of the season i think would be respectful to both, keep both happy and be the best move for our club.
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 07:13:41 PM »

I think that would be a good move especially if he can pass on his methods for staying match fit and sharp!

I really do want to see Lloris as our number 1 before the season is out otherwise we will lose him he is too high a calibre to sit on the bench.  Friedel for the cups and Lloris for the EPL games for the remainder of the season i think would be respectful to both, keep both happy and be the best move for our club.

On reflection I think this would actually be a good shout. Friedel as GK coach would be a definite plus for the club. I just do not think that change needs to happen immediately. Freidel is still quality and LLoris should have to earn his place. Once he does that and Friedel opens the door, it will the be down to LLoris to hold onto his place. There needs to be healthy competition to keep the standard high.
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 05:07:24 PM »
I am surprised that Friedal is still playing. He has let in a lot of goals. I would stick with Lloris; after all he is the future.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.