SpursNetwork

Modric leaving

Offline COYSacrossthepond

Modric leaving
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »
Having seen all this "breaking news" about Modric "wanting out" i had to go and hunt down the original interview myself, because I know how translations can sometimes get used creatively to make a story. So here's the ORIGINAL interview;
http://www.jutarnji.hr/modric-promijenio-plocu--ako-odem--otici-cu-zbog-lige-prvaka/949867/

And if you use Google Chrome, you can have it translate the page for you. The key phrase here is;

if a club comes an offer that will satisfy the club and me, then the transfer is possible. However, I weighed the departure from Tottenham. There, I was really great. I enjoy premium status among the fans very much appreciated and almost no reason why I asked for something else.

When he says that "almost no reason for leaving," Modric thought about the Champions League. Tottenham, Champions League, has not won a place in the elite event, finished fifth Premiership place, enough for a European league.

- Once you feel the Champions League, then it is a handicap to run out of these opportunities.

So basically, what Luka ACTUALLY said is that he really likes it at Tottenham, loves our support of him, but understands that a Godfather offer might come down from Utd or elsewhere. Oh and (of course) he wants champions league football.

Offline Holtspur

• Hero: Ricky Villa
Re: Modric leaving
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:42:04 PM »
This is precisely what some astute forum members have been saying as far back the dreadful loss at Blackpool when we had it in our hands to finish in the top 3 let alone 4th. It is eveidently clear that unless we get in the CL, we will lose players, whatever Levy says. Then its back to the wilderness I'm afraid to say, as rebuilding takes time. However, I hope that Levy & Co prove us wrong and the keep the quality players we have, offloading the fat and replacing with quality inthe striker department.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
yeah; i feel like we can prob keep everyone together this summer, make a splash for a striker, and make the CL again next year, But I think next year is going to be all-important; if we don't make top 4 next year, then Modric/Bale etc will start asking for transfers to CL sides. And it'll be back to square 1.

Offline Derry-Yid

• Hero: Teddy Sheringham
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has reiterated his stance that none of the club’s top players will be sold this summer.

Luka Modric was the latest Spurs player to be linked with a move from White Hart Lane this morning, with Manchester United reportedly ready to part with around £25m transfer for the Croatian midfielder, who has enjoyed a brilliant season at the London club.

The retirement of Paul Scholes means United are on the lookout for a replacement and although Modric insists he is happy at his current club, Sir Alex Ferguson could offer the midfielder Champions League football, and Tottenham can not.

Redknapp, who took Spurs to the Champions League quarter-finals last season, is determined to hang on to his most prized assets, however, and has warned that selling such players as Modric would undermine his long-term project of making the club top four regulars.

Redknapp said today: “All of our key players are under contract. ”The chairman and I have discussed this and we have no intention of selling any of them.

“They are at a top club and we are looking to improve the squad in the summer, not weaken it, in order to push for a Champions League place again next season.”

Thats good enough for me.
"It's been my life, Tottenham Hotspur,
and I love the club."

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »
A reassuring statement from Arry, yeap thats good enough!

Now also is an indicator ref his immediate future which again I'll take positively!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Holtspur

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:08:24 AM »
Its a pretty solid statement, which is most welcome. I am sure there are those that will see "a plot" i.e claiming Modders isnt key to our future plans which is just plain daft. The team revolves around our little dynamo!

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 03:23:04 PM »
I mean, it's all well and good to say that, but i unfortunately have a healthy skepticism about things like this. My take is that this means that if anyone wants Mods or Bale, they'd better be prepared to pay through the nose.

Offline Holtspur

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 05:27:47 PM »
I mean, it's all well and good to say that, but i unfortunately have a healthy skepticism about things like this. My take is that this means that if anyone wants Mods or Bale, they'd better be prepared to pay through the nose.
It would be a poor show if Levy/Redknapp reneged on the statement - with a player of such importance they will lose the trust of the fans who will rightly question the ambitions of the club just as we are assembling a damn fine squad

Offline Spurs218

• Hero: Zokora
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 05:32:14 PM »
If Modric leaves then I can see Harry walking and I wouldn't blame him if he did.
"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

RIP: Sir Bill Nicholson

Offline Holtspur

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »
Its not an option. The club should offload Keano pronto and use the salary saving to bump up Modric's to a level he deserves, still cutting the clubs wage bill which is the main thing Levy wants to do (Keano on £65k vs Modric £45k is just plain bonkers)

Offline Corlukas Guide Dog

• LOVE A BIT OF SPURS BANTER
  • Hero: Zinedine Zidane
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »
Theres no point in us selling him for 25m as theres nobody better out there for that amount really

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 12:21:27 PM »
Its not an option. The club should offload Keano pronto and use the salary saving to bump up Modric's to a level he deserves, still cutting the clubs wage bill which is the main thing Levy wants to do (Keano on £65k vs Modric £45k is just plain bonkers)

Modric signed a new 6 year deal last year (5 years left) for 70k a week

:up:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Spurs218

• Hero: Zokora
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 12:24:57 PM »

Modric signed a new 6 year deal last year (5 years left) for 70k a week

:up:

Amazing the number of people who forget this.
"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

RIP: Sir Bill Nicholson

Offline geeze34

• Hero: Gary Mabbutt
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 09:55:23 AM »
well as ALWAYS money does the talking! thought we actually had players  with that old thing called loyality. but Modric proves me wrong again! obviously signing contracts long term mean nothing more than leverage for when you want to move on.    how long b4 van de vart or Bale start saying "if its good for the club" blah blah blah. if we can hold on till Jan window we might be in position for CL next season, which might prompt a stay but can't see it happening! farewell Modric  by july i reckon nothing less than £35 mil! >:(

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »
Modders will be leaving at some point its just a case of when, now its down to Arry and Levy to convince Modders that his immediate and medium term future lies with us and he can achieve what he wants.

I think 150k per week in wages is a huge factor also for him!

If we sell now or in Jan lets get a club record at least 35 mill will soften the blow he is worth more than Berba and cost us more to buy!

Only downside is there isnt a player to replace him.  We have to make teh best out of Modders looking to move as we can!

Wish he wanted to stay!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!