SpursNetwork

Arry NOT looking for City rejects

Offline Edspurs

• Season Ticket: No
Re: Arry NOT looking for City rejects
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 10:40:59 PM »
With Button going out on loan and Alnwick's days seemingly numbered Pletikosa seems like the most solid incomer (even on loan).

Bellamy could have come to us but Hughes may start a bidding war and make the price unrealistic. City will try to keep Richards in view of the 25 rule.

Djalo has been pooh-poohed today by Harry. Huntelaar will only come to us reluctantly so may not actually add what we need. Cant Control? Please, no although he did combine well with JD at Legoland last season  ;)

Its all going to happen real late again especially with potential new players watching how we get on in the Champions League play-offs.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 11:34:36 PM »
What's the date for The Champions League Squad Cut off We need all business done by then. Also I would like to see us be bold and actually go in with a serious offer for whoever 'Arry wants and get things moving.

"Oi Martin £5 million plus Bentley and Keane for Young what do ya think ..." for example

Plus just as a thought on the CB trail has anyone considered Phil Jagielka ?

:knuppel2: 8D :knuppel2: 8D :knuppel2:

‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Dom07Tottenham

• Hero: Gareth Bale
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 07:00:32 AM »

We will not get Huntelaar, Milan and the player himself have repeatedly said that he is staying put, no Djalo either Harry has dismissed talk of him, W Ham will only let Parker go for 15m, which is absurd, decent player but you can't be serious 15m, so no go there either, Bellamy as previously said City will let him go anywhere but us or main rivals, I really hope Harry has a few decent targets in mind, with loans and freebies you would think we are a debt ridden bottom club, not a club on the verge of something massive, if you can get an excellent player on loan great, but really should we be shopping around the bargain basement and looking for players that can't make it into the top 25 of their own squads, if they can't make it into their own team, would they really be an improvement on our current squad? I don't think so, 2 great players known to be available Ozil 12-15m and Suarez 20-25m, we pay 17m for Bent, similar for Bentley etc, then why the hell not, my fist choice would be Ozil, but we need a striker much more than another attacking or creative mid. I can see some having reservations with these, particularly with Suarez's price tag, and if Ozil came it may shuffle the team around to much, with Modric likely to play at LM, and Bale back to LB both positions they play very well. But I believe bringing in this quality would go a long way to qualifying for the group stages of CL, which ultimateley should be our first priority, next to getting our way into the top 4 again, Ozil would add more creativity and could see him getting up to 10 assists, and Suarez would net atleast 15 if not more.

My choice would be to get both, ad a good young CB, along the lines of Shawcross, Cahill, Curtis Davies, spend 40m yes, but to qualify for CL group stages, the 40m would be money very well spent. We have spent much more in previous seasons, why now are we ckeeping the checkbooks closed and paying peanuts for bargain basement players on loans or freebie.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 07:03:21 AM by Dom07Tottenham »

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 01:19:35 PM »
you are naive if you think Ozil will even consider joining a regularly-doubtful CL club.... he has had Utd, Chelsea and Real Madrid seriously interested and can go on a Bosman in a year and earn 3 times our max wage..... and you think we stand a cat in hell's of getting him ??

Suarez is easier, but will he combined that much better than what is here already ??.... and if you want a mere 15 goals from him next season, we could have got Jermaine Beckford for 3m if that..

Huntelaar is not going to come out and say he wants to move, as it would weaken his negotiating position with any new employer..... Sol Campbell anyone ??......he will say that he is willing to fight for his place at his current club, like any player would if he doesnt want to be offered peanuts with a new club, after burning his bridges with present club in such a way..

seems AC Milan want to create some Media-attention by reuniting the old Ronaldinho with the one-time 'new Ronaldinho in Dos Santos.... should be some great photo-ops there for a savvy club to exploit, and Gio may well be far more suited to the slower, less physical Serie A, and really thrive there... a win-win..

looks like Arry really fancies Bellamy tho... just offered 8m apparently today... Citeh still won't sell to Spurs tho (not even for 20m)..

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 01:42:08 PM »
As I pointed out in ITK thread, Özil has said himself that he will honour his contract with Werder and not consider moving clubs before the end of the beginning season after which his contract is over.

Offline Dom07Tottenham

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 02:32:19 AM »

Ozil tempted by 'dream' England move

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=811197&sec=transfers&cc=3436&cc=3436

Soccernet have been following his situation closely and yes the player wants to play for Chelsea, Man U or Real or Barca and it looks likely he will head to one of those either now, or in a year so yes its highly unlikely of getting Ozil, but impossible no. Bremen are still exhausting the possibility of him signing a new contract when they realise that he wont sign, then he will be sold now, they can get a decent sum around 15-20m, that has to be much more appealing than nothing on bosman.

Apparently Real Madrid have had a meeting with him, not sure on the (legality of that) have asked him to wait a year see out his contract and leave for them on a bosman, and the player has said he will honour his contract, yet still I am surprised no one has snapped him up yet, Bremen want some return on the player.

Gareth Keown the teams you have mentioned appear to be waiting for him on bosman, and if we waited we would have no chance of competing with them, in terms of club prowess and wages, so why can't we put in a good official bid, just before the end of window, and attempt to gazump the rest, and actually try and compete for top players, here is the risk if we bid, Bremen would leak it out and other teams would get there foot in and start a bidding war that we wouldn't compete in, but it is worth that chance een if it is a very small one. We shouldn't just assuming top players are out of our reach and not even attempt to get them, and then go for players like Bellamy and Parker instead, decent players but not of the calibre we require to really improve our squad. We need to do everything we can to try and get quality top players that would give a huge boost to our team, surely someday we will get one of them, and then more will follow, particularly if we can have a solid run, nothing record breaking, but to advertise our club at the highest level and show them that we can mix it up with the big boys.
As for what you said about Huntelaar surely that can be said about Ozil to, it is being presumptious and also naive to believe that despite publicly stating his desire to stay at Milan and the clubs firm stance on not selling him that we might get the player or that he wants to leave, and also has there been any confirmed interest from Milan in Gio, or are you going by megere rumours, but I am the naive one apparently.

Gareth your quote'Suarez is easier, but will he combined that much better than what is here already ??.... and if you want a mere 15 goals from him next season, we could have got Jermaine Beckford for 3m if that..

Firstly what you wrote 'but will he combined that much better' isn't proper english but I understand what you meant and my answer is yes outside of Defoe he is better than what we currently have, he has a great record in the Dutch league yes that doesn't always translate into sucess elsewhere, but I made my assesment of him on the basis of his world cup, he was Uruguays second best player behind Forlan, and a big reason why they made it so far, judging by his world cup where superstars like Ronaldo and Rooney failed, you have to give credit where credit is due and he is a great striker. He is not as big a target man in terms of strength that we might be looking for but he makes up for it in all other areas, and would make a great addition to the squad.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 02:50:30 PM »
your assumption that any club could come in at the last moment this window and take Ozil is even more naive.... do you not think that maybe, just maybe, the actual player himself might have a say in where he goes ??

Clubs like Real and similar would have contacted the player's agent, to let him know their plans about a Bosman next year (or even in January for a v.small fee)if he didnt move on an actual sale this year.... why would he throw that away and sign for a (a) smaller club not in regular title or CL contention (b) on a reduced wage, as the club would have had to pay Bremen a transfer-fee of at least 10m.... he would be foolish to.

he's been given the nod that the likes of RM, Utd, Chavski et al will come a calling after 12months and he can write his own contract when that happens.... not playing for a 2nd-tier club (which Spurs is compared to the very top clubs like Real Madrid) who won't regularly be playing CL (chances are) and who can only pay him around 80k a week for this dubious privelege (when he can play at the topmost level for a bigger club AND get paid double Spurs would offer)..

Suarez is a good player, but not sure he's what we need to compliment the other strikers in the pack.... he's abit like Defoe in that he is a single-minded finisher who may not COMBINE well with a Pav, Defoe or even Keane ... Crouch may be the exception as Crouchy is v.unselfish and creates for his partner upfront... doubt any 2 of Suarez, Defoe and Keane would be good pairings...

we need a tall, pacy, powerful target-man, that can combine well with any of Defoe, Pav or Keane (if still here) or even play as a lone striker sometimes.... Huntelaar looks the most likely..

Offline Dom07Tottenham

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 03:38:31 PM »
I didn't assume anything, I said why cant we put in a bid, and actually try and get the player, your assuming that I assumed that we would get him, how very presumptious of you, lol.
I believe it is an unlikely deal, but you still have to try, giving up without an attempt to get a player of such quality is unforgiveable you never know, crazy things do happen, hope for the best, but whatever, we both have our strong opinions and disagree, it is a discussion board after all.

Last season I actually wanted Huntelaar, but Harry couldn't pull that one off, and now he is at Milan and looks like hes there to stay, Milan will give him until next window to prove himself or maybe longer, and Milan is a club we can't compete with, I was judging Huntelaar on instinct, without seeing enough of him of him, now I am not sure about the player, looks like he has talent, and given the right side could recapture his Ajax form, but he is a player with a higher risk given his recent unsuccessful moves, admittedly to extremely high pressured clubs in Madrid and Milan, also his World Cup didn't convince me at all either, to be fair there he was on the bench mostly, however you see why I am more hesitant regarding him.
So we have two players Suarez and Huntelaar both have incredible dutch records, for Ajax, but the difference is one is available the other isn't and after the world cup I am completely convinced of Suarez's skill, whereas I am not as clear with Huntelaar I see why you find him more appealing as Ideally we should get a target man, that is strong, fast and tall, that Defoe can play off, but I don't see any options that are attainable. Suarez is available and has publicly acknowledged us as a good club, and someone he would be interested in , something a top class player rarely says, and I still believe Suarez is a great buy despite his similarities to Defoe, they don't have to be opposite players to play well together, I believe in particular on the counter with Defoe, Suarez Bale and Lennon, (Dos Santos of the bench would work well with them too) we would be lethal, to be able to counter is imperative at CL level, especially if we make it past BSC Young Boys, as our opposition gets much tougher.

Dzeko would be the ultimate option, but we have no chance there, we couldn't afford his 35m buy out clause which passed, and Wolsfburg will hold out for a massive fee, Man C, is is his likely destination if there move for Balotelli falls through which reportedly looks likely at the moment because of his wage demands, hard to belive City have a limit, he must be asking for crazy money, and a payday that he could retire on. The only way I see us getting Huntelaar is if Dzeko moves to Milan, that would pretty much mean the end of Huntelaar's Milan stint.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:43:28 PM by Dom07Tottenham »

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 04:20:14 PM »
I could make a play for Angelina Jolie too.... you never know, crazy things happen and if you dont try youll never know.... or perhaps (in the real world) you would..... I too would love Ozil  here but he's not what we actually NEED the most, as we need to balance our strikeforce foremost this summer...

idealy, I'd like Suarez to replace Defoe, or relegate him to backup... but you do realise that he can't play for us in the CL as hes played for Ajax already now in the qualies... could be a frustrating way to spend 25m now dont you think ??.... I still would get him and play him with Pav or a 'targetman' (Crouch or a.n.other) as I think he will get us goals in the Prem, especially away from home where our strikers eg. Defoe can struggle..

look at the criteria we need to get in upfront: height with pace, ability to link well with poachers like Defoe/Pav, aerial ability, goalscoring ability away from home, experienced in Europe/intl-level.... if possible, a 'bigname' to excite the fans with..

Dzeko...... no chance
Fabiano..... no chance
Remy.........possible
C.Cole.......unlikely (WH dont like us, won't sell to us)

HUNTELAAR..... avail at around 9m, poss p/x with Dos Santos mooted (so even cheaper), Milan have Boriello, Pato ahead of him.... tho says he wants to stay (why would a player antagonise home-fans and make himself a target by saying otherwise) he will accept an offer to play for a big Prem club, based in London, in CL, will allow him to play regularly, sufficient 'bigname' status to appease fans in otherwise frustrating transfer-window.... also Arry does rate him as we have been linked with him regularly over last 18months..

all the negatives about Huntelaar: not regular starter at WC for Holland, nor at club-level with Milan, etc.... these are just the factors that ALLOW us to realistically get a player of this quality, that the mega-clubs won't compete with us for... so in Spurs' context the negatives become strong positive factors that work in OUR favour ie. price, wages, attainability..

its the obvious choice.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 04:26:06 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 04:42:47 PM »
Hey if you are going to have a crack at Angelina Jolie then i am going to throw my hat into the ring as well  :nods:

Some good points Gareth, there really is a lack of options that seriously improve what we have (guaranteed).

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 04:52:52 PM »
and that's actually a good thing.... it means that we are mostly there already quality-wise... we just need to tweak it abit and add some balance to the strikeforce..

if/when we do... we will be a real force in the Prem and Europe for the next few years (guaranteed).

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 10:23:31 PM »
Richards is no City reject. Snap him up 'Arry
COYS!

Offline Dom07Tottenham

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 09:01:31 AM »
I think comparing getting Angelina Jolie and Ozil is completely ridiculous,  none of us have a chance with her, whereas there is a chance of us getting Ozil, even though it is a very small one, If you ever meet Angelina would you have a crack?. Anyways moving on.....

Crap hey, I was hoping Suarez wasn't cup tied, but he is so yeah spending 20-25m on him would be a waste, and would only get him if the unthinkable happens and we don't make it past Young Boys, after the home leg there is almost a week before the close of the window, I wouldn't replace Defoe, our best striker and top scorer, he should have finished the season the way he started but still overall a very good season.

I am not sure where your getting your information on Huntelaar from, you are believing the rumours by websites that anyone can post, rather then more reputable sources, besides official club websites Soccernet is one of the ones I trust,  where do you get yours? there is so much crap out there, but I still hope we do get him in that case.
I have read the one about the swap with Dos Santos, I really believe we haven't seen the best of him in a Spurs shirt but this season given a chance he will do well, so I would rather straight cash for Huntelaar.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 09:06:24 AM by Dom07Tottenham »

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 10:04:03 AM »
I think comparing getting Angelina Jolie and Ozil is completely ridiculous,  none of us have a chance with her,
Speak for yourself   :lol:

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 11:02:09 AM »
Either signing huntelaar outright or in a swap deal would give is a CL calibre striker to behold. Yes he's had his bad times at Milan but if we give the lad games upfront he could be prolific in this country.

I kind of find myself with mixed thoughts about Gio. Yes he can play and could be an awesome player for Spurs but in the other hand, I wouldn't put him ahead of anyone in our starting midfield of striker slots. So therefore he may have to settle for a bit part season on the fringes. Will he settle for that, and will it do him any good....?
COYS!