Redknapp: " Fans would sing 'THERE`S ONLY ONE SADDAM!' "

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
  • Season Ticket: No
Redknapp: " Fans would sing 'THERE`S ONLY ONE SADDAM!' "
« on: July 24, 2010, 11:53:57 AM »

Harry Redknapp believes that fans do not care who owns football clubs - as long as they're spending money.

Redknapp was speaking as Manchester City, who have already spent £60million on three players, look set to take their summer outlay to close to £80million with the imminent signing of Serbian left-back Aleksandar Kolarov.

"There's nothing you can do," The Daily Mail quotes him as saying. "They're bringing good players into the Premier League.

"Football fans don't care. The players don't care. Saddam Hussein could own your football club and, if he's putting millions into it, they'll be quite happy. They'll be singing: "There's only one Saddam".

"I've seen it all before. They don't care if you're putting the money in."

Redknapp believes City's spending power could take them to the Premier League title.

"Manchester City are bringing in top, top players. I said last year they could win the championship and they could win it this year. Eventually they're going to win it.

"It makes my job more challenging. We're on another planet. They go and pay £200,000 a week, or three times as much for their top players as we could.

"But good luck to them. We finished above them last year and we've got to try to do it again this season. We play them in the first game of the season and I'm looking forward to it."

As for Tottenham's transfer plans, Redknapp is still working on bringing new faces to White Hart Lane, to add to Brazilian midfielder Sandro.

"We need to bring in two or three really good players if we're to maintain what we did last year," he said.

"It's got harder the higher up the league I've gone, but this is the time to have a go.

"Tottenham have spent a lot of money over the years without a lot of success, but now we're in a position where we could really push on and I feel it's the time we should look to do it, if we can.

"There's still value in the transfer market, but you've got to be a genius. You've got to go and find somebody, but top players, they want top wages. That's your problem."

:2funny: I'm not sure about that one harry