SpursNetwork

Tottenham v Chelsea

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Tottenham v Chelsea
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 05:30:34 AM »
Howdy all to a new year,

Reading the above posts I noticed the congratulations to Spurs victory over Chelsea and even though well deserved, I must add a word of caution. This is just one spectacular match in a poor season, so-far. When Bill took over from Spurs his first match in charge was against Everton, who we beaten 10-4. I was at that match. But we/ he had to wait a lot longer before turning that team into anything worth talking about. Maurice isn’t Bill Nich, however, what he is hasn’t been determined yet. One swallow doesn’t make a summer and we must bear that in mind. What concerns me is that we let this victory go to our heads. Chelsea’s defeat is also down to Chelsea’s bad defence. I have no doubt that they approached this game with arrogance and expected to get their three points just by turning up. The next couple of games will determine our worth after that victory over the Blues.

All I am saying is not to get too carried away with this victory. Remember, Newcastle also beat them, and look where they are now. I don’t think Chelsea has been that good, just that the other teams have been that bad that they made Chelsea look good.

We all want the glory days back, but it isn’t going to come back that quick. Our current manager has to build and mould his team into what he thinks is the right ingredients to challenge for the title.

I’ve seen it all before. The hopes, the dreams and the miseries. Get behind the team by all means, after all we are loyal Spurs supporters, that is supporters and not naïve and foolish supporters who have their heads in the clouds.

Happy New Year Don,

I am pretty sure no one on here is getting carried away with that one result, even though it is nice to have something to enjoy and having everyone's differing perspectives coming together for a change. But when you read what others have said, most start by saying how they went into the match with low expectations. Personally, when I found out I had tickets I was thinking we would lose by 3 or 4 and gave us no chance. But as the time approached I was seeing more positives in the side, things were actually getting better, it wasn't just imagined. I went through a phase of thinking we may keep it to losing by 2 even a single goal, but on match day I was really thinking a draw was possible (even if it was still unlikely).

However, as it turned out, the side exceeded all expectations and it was an amazing display and exciting game to watch. But even at half time (like the girl voice was talking to) I was still a little apprehensive. I was there at the Man U game which ended 5 -3 so I wasn't counting my chickens. There is also the fact that will still conceded 3 goals, but with our attacking display (and chelsea's bad defensive day) we prevailed. We have every right to enjoy and savor this victory against the side that was top of the table and historically and notoriously difficult side for us to beat.

I think that the pre-match predictions and the mid-match nerves are the real indicator for where we think the side is. We all know there is a long way to go yet, there is no disillusionment. As you said, Chelsea are at the top, as much down to how poor the rest of the sides are as it is how good they are playing, but the same can be said about us. But this victory can be an important first step on the journey back to greatness and let's hope there are not too many backwards steps along the way. So let us relish this great result but remember it is only 3 points, we have three more league matches in January, which we could get 9 points from.
Maybe next year...

Offline Jane

• Hero: Lamela
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
Howdy all to a new year,

Reading the above posts I noticed the congratulations to Spurs victory over Chelsea and even though well deserved, I must add a word of caution. This is just one spectacular match in a poor season, so-far. When Bill took over from Spurs his first match in charge was against Everton, who we beaten 10-4. I was at that match. But we/ he had to wait a lot longer before turning that team into anything worth talking about. Maurice isn’t Bill Nich, however, what he is hasn’t been determined yet. One swallow doesn’t make a summer and we must bear that in mind. What concerns me is that we let this victory go to our heads. Chelsea’s defeat is also down to Chelsea’s bad defence. I have no doubt that they approached this game with arrogance and expected to get their three points just by turning up. The next couple of games will determine our worth after that victory over the Blues.

All I am saying is not to get too carried away with this victory. Remember, Newcastle also beat them, and look where they are now. I don’t think Chelsea has been that good, just that the other teams have been that bad that they made Chelsea look good.

We all want the glory days back, but it isn’t going to come back that quick. Our current manager has to build and mould his team into what he thinks is the right ingredients to challenge for the title.

I’ve seen it all before. The hopes, the dreams and the miseries. Get behind the team by all means, after all we are loyal Spurs supporters, that is supporters and not naïve and foolish supporters who have their heads in the clouds.

Dear Don,

I go to all Spurs matches and I certainly do not take one victory as the beginning of total dominination by Spurs. As you said, one swallow does not make a summer, however, if you take every game over the season, under our manager, we are progressing very well, culminating (so far) in the annihilation of the big headed blues.

I hear people say that Chelsea were tired, but people forget that we played the same amount of games, over the Christmas period, as Chelsea. They lost because of their ever-growing arrogance and our ever-growing confidence and skills. Take the last time we met, their victory over us, flattered them. Spurs will be buoyed by their victory over the so-called league leaders, but not naïve to think that they have won the league. You have got years on us poor mortals and have watched many great league games where the Glory team dazzled the world. But in today’s game, it is a different kettle of fish. There is more quality out there, fitter players and the stakes are higher. And not forgetting the billionaire backers. Spurs are not the elite, as they were in the 60s, and we know that. But that does not mean, with the right manager and players, that we cannot be a significant force in the Premier league.

Age does not equate to superior knowledge over us lesser mortals. We have got our feet firmly on terra firma. We are taking every game as it comes and the next couple of games will be the real tester.
Remember, we were commenting on one particular game, not the entire season, which we know was not as we wished.

Jane x

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 06:44:47 AM »
Howdy all to a new year,

Dear Don,

I go to all Spurs matches and I certainly do not take one victory as the beginning of total dominination by Spurs. As you said, one swallow does not make a summer, however, if you take every game over the season, under our manager, we are progressing very well, culminating (so far) in the annihilation of the big headed blues.

I hear people say that Chelsea were tired, but people forget that we played the same amount of games, over the Christmas period, as Chelsea. They lost because of their ever-growing arrogance and our ever-growing confidence and skills. Take the last time we met, their victory over us, flattered them. Spurs will be buoyed by their victory over the so-called league leaders, but not naïve to think that they have won the league. You have got years on us poor mortals and have watched many great league games where the Glory team dazzled the world. But in today’s game, it is a different kettle of fish. There is more quality out there, fitter players and the stakes are higher. And not forgetting the billionaire backers. Spurs are not the elite, as they were in the 60s, and we know that. But that does not mean, with the right manager and players, that we cannot be a significant force in the Premier league.

Age does not equate to superior knowledge over us lesser mortals. We have got our feet firmly on terra firma. We are taking every game as it comes and the next couple of games will be the real tester.
Remember, we were commenting on one particular game, not the entire season, which we know was not as we wished.

Jane x

Don,
        I, like you were at that game in Oct 1958, I was approaching the tender age of 11, but I still remember it clearly. What you say is very true, One Swallow does not a Summer make, but, I truly believe after watching the United and Chelsea games,(I might add, I thought that we would be lucky to get ONE point from the two games let alone FOUR) that perhaps we might just be turning the corner, certainly there seems to be a genuine belief amongst the squad, which emanates from the Coaching Staff, whether this continues remains to be seen, I, like the rest of us can only hope that it does, we should all ENJOY and SAVOUR the Xmas results, we have certainly waited a long long time, let us all enjoy them, but not get too carried away with them, because as the saying goes, "There is many a slip twixt Cup and Lip". I for one am SAVORING EVERY MINUTE, as we all, no matter what our ages, are entitled to do. :ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah:

I would like to wish all who support this Forum, "A Very Happy and Prosperous New Year". Like-wise to the Players and Staff of the Magnificent Club we all Love and Support, and may the Great start to 2015 continue. :2up: :2up: :2up:

COYS  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:54:51 AM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline Don

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 07:27:05 PM »
Howdy all,

I seem to have ruffled a few feathers. That wasn’t my intention, but just to warn you that one victory, no matter how great it is or was, is the beginning of the apocalypse (not for us, but the other league teams). As a Spurs supporter, like yourselves, I was delighted with our victory, but my concerns is in the long term, not not short exhilaration. Spurs is in my blood, as I am sure it is in your blood.
I enjoy this forum’s camaraderie and all the different views and opinions. We might not agree with each other, but the prospect of discussing each others views thrills me. It reminds me of the days when I actually went to the ground and talked, shared a pint or two with other like mined people. Unfortunately, and through ill health I am no longer able to travel, but that doesn’t stop be enjoying what I once was able to witness personally.
Burnley tonight, as it was in the double season.
I wish you all enjoyable evening listening to Spurs and I hope that we triumph and then come back on here to discuss what took place.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 08:06:29 AM »
Howdy all,

I seem to have ruffled a few feathers. That wasn’t my intention, but just to warn you that one victory, no matter how great it is or was, is the beginning of the apocalypse (not for us, but the other league teams). As a Spurs supporter, like yourselves, I was delighted with our victory, but my concerns is in the long term, not not short exhilaration. Spurs is in my blood, as I am sure it is in your blood.
I enjoy this forum’s camaraderie and all the different views and opinions. We might not agree with each other, but the prospect of discussing each others views thrills me. It reminds me of the days when I actually went to the ground and talked, shared a pint or two with other like mined people. Unfortunately, and through ill health I am no longer able to travel, but that doesn’t stop be enjoying what I once was able to witness personally.

I wish you all enjoyable evening listening to Spurs and I hope that we triumph and then come back on here to discuss what took place.

Yes Don, a little reminder last night that we are still very much a work in progress, despite the excellent result against Chelsea. What is a more important goal to strive for is consistency over the whole season, and I think we are still some way off that, so I do hope that Levy doesn't use our win over Chelsea as an excuse to postpone our urgent need of a RB CB winger and striker or 2 ( to replace Naughton Cherices Lennon Ade & Soldado )

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 08:21:00 AM »
Howdy all,

Don,
         Please don't think that you ruffled any ones feathers, you certainly didn't ruffle mine, I think we all agree with what you posted, I certainly do, and you are quite correct, it is the Long Term that really matters. I like you, am Old School and remember with joy the Glory Days, and dearly want to see our club back to where it once was, or certainly close, so that the younger members of this Forum can enjoy similar memories, something to tell their Children and Grand-Children, cos believe me I do at every opportunity.  :up: :up:
:SN:[font

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
Howdy all,

Yes Don, a little reminder last night that we are still very much a work in progress, despite the excellent result against Chelsea. What is a more important goal to strive for is consistency over the whole season, and I think we are still some way off that, so I do hope that Levy doesn't use our win over Chelsea as an excuse to postpone our urgent need of a RB CB winger and striker or 2 ( to replace Naughton Cherices Lennon Ade & Soldado )

I think that is slightly unfair as there was seven changes from the Chelsea game. If we had the same team the result might have been totally different.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Don

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 04:57:59 PM »
Howdy all,

Don,
         Please don't think that you ruffled any ones feathers, you certainly didn't ruffle mine, I think we all agree with what you posted, I certainly do, and you are quite correct, it is the Long Term that really matters. I like you, am Old School and remember with joy the Glory Days, and dearly want to see our club back to where it once was, or certainly close, so that the younger members of this Forum can enjoy similar memories, something to tell their Children and Grand-Children, cos believe me I do at every opportunity.  :up: :up:

Howdy Paul Finch and that is might kind words from somebody who is from an era that is gradually dwindling into the twilight. I also agree with your sentiments about wanting to see the younger generation experience what we were privileged to see all those years ago.
All glory days start from somewhere and every season I am hoping it is starting from then. Of course in today’s glamours football it is all about money and they say that a new glorious stadium will give us that extra revenue so that we can challenge the ‘big boys’. We were once the big boys and we set the benchmark (at least in the modern era), now teams like Chelsea, United and City are the ones we have to follow. Every generation has their golden boys. Liverpool in the 80s, Spurs in the 60s, Leeds in the late 60s, early 70s, United in the 90s and beyond etc. I am sure the cockerel boys time will come again. Then the cockerel will crow mighty all over the world.
It has been a pleasure Mr Finch and a pleasure to all those that tipped their hat in my direction.

Offline Don

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »
Howdy all,

I think that is slightly unfair as there was seven changes from the Chelsea game. If we had the same team the result might have been totally different.

Times they are changing voice, and howdy to you. I remember the times when there was no squad rotation. Eleven players played in all the matches, cup, league and Europe. If somebody got a chance to come in then it was because of an unfortunate accident to the player he was replacing. Don’t get me wrong voice, I am not criticising modern football. They are fitter and play to a wider audience. We should never forsake the present for the past. We must move on and I have no problems with that. I just wish that when we moved on we had built on the Nicholson era. But as my old Ma used to say, we shouldn’t cry over a spilt tipple.
Mr voice, what happened to those articles you used to write on here? One of the reasons that impressed on me to join this forum was what you wrote. Granted, I didn’t always agree with what you wrote, but I enjoyed reading them nevertheless. I also enjoyed the comments they importuned. You did know how to put the cat amongst the pigeons. I hope they continue to flow from your pen, and I am sure we will continue to agree or disagree on what you had written, but enjoy them nevertheless.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 08:00:52 AM »
Howdy all,

Well that kind of re-enforces my point really. We have a good back up keeper in Vorm. As for the defence, RB is a constant weakness no matter who plays there. CB, our club captain cannot even get on the bench, and Cherices is not up to it either, which leaves us short of cover there. LB we have two promising, and young british players, so no panic there. Lennon & Townsend are clearly not good enough, so we need at least 1 winger. And as for up front we are now relying 100% on Kane, a very dangerous situation, so we need 1 or 2 strikers.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 04:07:27 PM »
Howdy all,

Times they are changing voice, and howdy to you. I remember the times when there was no squad rotation. Eleven players played in all the matches, cup, league and Europe. If somebody got a chance to come in then it was because of an unfortunate accident to the player he was replacing. Don’t get me wrong voice, I am not criticising modern football. They are fitter and play to a wider audience. We should never forsake the present for the past. We must move on and I have no problems with that. I just wish that when we moved on we had built on the Nicholson era. But as my old Ma used to say, we shouldn’t cry over a spilt tipple.
Mr voice, what happened to those articles you used to write on here? One of the reasons that impressed on me to join this forum was what you wrote. Granted, I didn’t always agree with what you wrote, but I enjoyed reading them nevertheless. I also enjoyed the comments they importuned. You did know how to put the cat amongst the pigeons. I hope they continue to flow from your pen, and I am sure we will continue to agree or disagree on what you had written, but enjoy them nevertheless.

Hi Don and thank you. The trouble is my articles caused friction and attack and with the mods/ Admin on tender hooks you wonder if it is worth it. Of course I believe that should be the point (not attack), but debate. Some forums like it, that is a good debate (even if one doesn't agree) while others just use it to attack you. It also depends on how intelligent the cliental is. But thank you for your words. Nevertheless, if others share you interests in reading what I write I shall bow to your/ their wishes.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Jane

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 07:06:48 PM »
Howdy all,

Hi Don and thank you. The trouble is my articles caused friction and attack and with the mods/ Admin on tender hooks you wonder if it is worth it. Of course I believe that should be the point (not attack), but debate. Some forums like it, that is a good debate (even if one doesn't agree) while others just use it to attack you. It also depends on how intelligent the cliental is. But thank you for your words. Nevertheless, if others share you interests in reading what I write I shall bow to your/ their wishes.

I hope you are joking voice about this forum. One of the reason why I joined, like Don, was because I thought it was very liberal minded. My boyfriend searched for suitable platform for me so that I could voice my support or disagreements. You will be surprised what morons there are, and I am talking Spurs morons here, on Spurs forums. Most behaved like animals. My boyfriend and I discussed this forum before joining. We thought it was intelligent with your pieces leading the way.

I suggest that if people are critical with what you write then they should take a trip around other Spurs forums before criticising. I for one want you to continue writing your articles. I am sure the management on here would also love you to continue writing. I have read no discontent since joining this forum. Please continue adding your thoughts or whatever you call it, to this forum. We might not agree, and not agreeing would make the discussions more interesting, but we will have a jolly good time in the process of not agreeing, if disagreement is what we decide. Do Spurs members on here really want total unison so that we all end up with each other’s heads up each other’s arses? I do not think so, I bloody hope not.

What do others think on here? I would be very interested in your responses.
Jane xx

Offline Don

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 07:20:59 PM »
Howdy all,

Jane I think voice is pulling your leg. Why wouldn’t a forum such as this not want such articles to titillate its members? I would imagine that if the people who are in charge thought that way you would see a mass rush to the doors. I also had a look around on other forums and most I observed were a disgrace to the Spurs name. Granted, all clubs have a variety of supporters, but animal ones can’t be or shouldn’t be tolerated. I know things have changed since my day, but digressing to prehistoric man is beyond even my grasp.
Come on voice, get that pen scribbling and come up with something so that we can agree or disagree with.

Offline Jane

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 07:32:37 PM »
Howdy all,

Jane I think voice is pulling your leg. Why wouldn’t a forum such as this not want such articles to titillate its members? I would imagine that if the people who are in charge thought that way you would see a mass rush to the doors. I also had a look around on other forums and most I observed were a disgrace to the Spurs name. Granted, all clubs have a variety of supporters, but animal ones can’t be or shouldn’t be tolerated. I know things have changed since my day, but digressing to prehistoric man is beyond even my grasp.
Come on voice, get that pen scribbling and come up with something so that we can agree or disagree with.

Glad to hear that Don. He had me worried there. The last thing we want is a draconian forum that repels, instead of magnetising people towards it. Since joining this forum, I have found it pleasant with good and interesting members and I will tell you that that is nice to observe. My boyfriend and I frequent the local pubs around Tottenham, when going to a game and you would be surprised what constitutes as a Spurs supporter. Loud mouth, arrogant and ignorance is all you hear. Of course I am not suggesting that all fans are like that, and this forum is a good example of good intelligent fans.

I echo Don’s words, as I am sure other members do, and say, not only to voice, but also to others, continue giving us your views.

Jane x

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 08:49:21 PM »
While i agree with the notes of caution i must also say.....

It was unbelievably brilliant going into work the following day :ohyeah:  !

When was the last time chelsea were bashed up like that ?
If your not spurs you`re dead to me