SpursNetwork

Chelsea v Tottenham

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Chelsea v Tottenham
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 11:10:03 AM »
Voice. I said "it would be unlikely". As an ex-coach, I am well aware of team work, but I would disagree (It is highly unlikely) that "11 poor players" even working as a team would do better than "11 brilliant ones", not working as team. 

As we all know, it just takes 1 or 2 players to change a game.  :nods:
Greece at EURO2004 springs to mind.  :P

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 12:16:48 PM »
I think the general consensus of opinion is, that had we have had Modric and VDV, or the equivalent we would have been at least 6 pts better, meaning minimum 4th position possibly 2nd, I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but???

:-\ :-\ :-\
:SN:[font

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 01:45:52 PM »
I think the general consensus of opinion is, that had we have had Modric and VDV, or the equivalent we would have been at least 6 pts better, meaning minimum 4th position possibly 2nd, I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but???

100% correct.

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »
Voice,
           Unfortunately for you, AVB said and I quote "CL is our priority, anything less is failure". So by finishing 5th, in his words, is FAILURE, they sir, are his words not mine. Again I will say, it is not entirely his fault, he has done a "reasonable job" with the players that he had at his disposal, but he has been let down by one Mr Levy, as have several Coaches before him. I am sure you will disagree and will undoubtedly find a way to excuse Levy, but I and many others on this forum have already tried and convicted him(Levy) of his crimes against THFC !!
           Sentencing is pending !

:ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah:

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
    Personally, I am advocating that the defendant(Levy) be stripped bare and tied by the wrists to the Park Lane goal crossbar and lashed with a cat o' nine tails until he promises to buy all the players that AVB wants no matter how much they may cost.

:up: :up: :up:

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »
Voice. I said "it would be unlikely". As an ex-coach, I am well aware of team work, but I would disagree (It is highly unlikely) that "11 poor players" even working as a team would do better than "11 brilliant ones", not working as team. 

As we all know, it just takes 1 or 2 players to change a game.  :nods:

When I say poor, I meant poorer than some of those superstars. Look at Alf Ramsey with Ipswich. And there are modern cases as well. A good team working together - but not stars - would have more chance than a team of stars to working together. Which is what I meant.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 05:30:09 PM »

We don't know that, but either way Modric didn't want to play for Spurs. As for VDV. his last season he was being subbed a lot.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »
Voice,
           Unfortunately for you, AVB said and I quote "CL is our priority, anything less is failure". So by finishing 5th, in his words, is FAILURE, they sir, are his words not mine. Again I will say, it is not entirely his fault, he has done a "reasonable job" with the players that he had at his disposal, but he has been let down by one Mr Levy, as have several Coaches before him. I am sure you will disagree and will undoubtedly find a way to excuse Levy, but I and many others on this forum have already tried and convicted him(Levy) of his crimes against THFC !!
           Sentencing is pending !

:ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah:

Are you being a bit premature? We've still got a game to go.

I agree that if we don't get 4th spot then the finger should be pointed somewhere.

I will also quote what AVB said "We don't need anymore players. I am happy with the squad I've got".

Also; Levy tried to buy another striker but couldn't get the one he wanted.

As for "his crimes"; you don't know or understand the full workings of how the boardroom works. You've based your "convicted" on your personal feelings. I rather deal with the facts.

I am also happy, as I said somewhere else, to have a benefactor like City, United or Chelsea has. But we haven’t and as far as I know there is nobody waiting in the wing. We’ve got Levy whether we like it or not. We actually could get somebody a lot worse. Be careful what you are wishing for.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 05:37:55 PM »
    Personally, I am advocating that the defendant(Levy) be stripped bare and tied by the wrists to the Park Lane goal crossbar and lashed with a cat o' nine tails until he promises to buy all the players that AVB wants no matter how much they may cost.

:up: :up: :up:

And you are the man who wanted Redknapp to stay.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2013, 08:45:58 AM »
Lads, no need for namecalling.  :-[ Voice, please look up irony in the dictionary.