SpursNetwork

Team Captain For Next Season

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Team Captain For Next Season
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 01:59:37 PM »
Why would you want to take it away from Michael Dawson ?
He has played with his heart on his sleeve and always gives 110% effort, plus he hasn't rocked the boat or caused trouble when AVB treated him like a piece of s**t.
For my money he has been the best captain we have had since Gary Mabbutt, just look back over the games he has played and the amount of times it's him that clears the ball or covers for others !!!!

>:(
I agree there is no reason to take the armband off him. I think we've had one great captain after Mabbutt and maybe some members even remember him, his name is Ledley King.

Also, there is no such thing as 110%, it's mathematically impossible.  :grin:

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
He has played with his heart on his sleeve and always gives 110% effort, plus he hasn't rocked the boat or caused trouble when AVB treated him like a piece of s**t.
For my money he has been the best captain we have had since Gary Mabbutt, just look back over the games he has played and the amount of times it's him that clears the ball or covers for others !!!!

I agree there is no reason to take the armband off him. I think we've had one great captain after Mabbutt and maybe some members even remember him, his name is Ledley King.

OK So who is to blame for our abysmal defensive record last season ?  IMO JVT is the only one who has shone, followed by Walker

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »
Whilst I agree that Dawson has been excellent, no criticism at all,  I think Vertonghen would add something else to the back four. We are trying to improve after all!

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 05:56:38 PM »

OK So who is to blame for our abysmal defensive record last season ?  IMO JVT is the only one who has shone, followed by Walker
Sorry, but Walker did not have a good season as a defender. Going forward - yes. As a defender he was below par.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 07:32:17 PM »
UGS you bring up some very valid points there, Dawson is Spurs through and through and I admire how he responded to things that happened these season from being surplus to requirements, nearly sold then becoming one of the first names on the team sheet.

I think the harsh truth for Daws is when Kaboul is fit Dawson will be used on a rotation basis with JVT most likley the main CB, there is of course times when JVT, Kaboul and Dawson will probably play especially if we dont get the LB situation sorted out.

I do think as we push forward and develop JVT for team captain and Dawson as club captain i think would work best all round.
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 08:42:16 PM »
Good stamenent Metal. Dawson is and as always been a true Spurs man. We will have to see where he comes in when Kaboul is fit again. In any event he should always remain a Spurs player. No question of repeating the fiasco at the beginning of last season.

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »
I`d leave dawson as captain . He might not be the best player but he`s honest , reliable and would run through brick walls for his team mates . I totally agree with the comment that he`s our best captain since mabbutt .
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline RSS61

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 07:40:34 AM »
I`d leave dawson as captain . He might not be the best player but he`s honest , reliable and would run through brick walls for his team mates . I totally agree with the comment that he`s our best captain since mabbutt .
[/q

The point I'm trying to make is this. Ledley King, before his injury problems, would have walked into any side in Europe IMO. Wheras Dawson cannot even make the bench for a substandard England squad. Surely if we aspire to top 4 status, we need a core of top 4 standard players, of which for all his attributes, he clearly is not, or he would have been going to someone rather better than QPR last August.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »
[/q

The point I'm trying to make is this. Ledley King, before his injury problems, would have walked into any side in Europe IMO. Wheras Dawson cannot even make the bench for a substandard England squad. Surely if we aspire to top 4 status, we need a core of top 4 standard players, of which for all his attributes, he clearly is not, or he would have been going to someone rather better than QPR last August.

This isn't about Ledley King or any other team its about Spurs and the fact that Dawson is probably the most consistent defender we have had for quite a while and you can count the amount of bad games he has had on one hand !!!! Plus he will run through walls for his team mates and he's a talker he is always urging players on and pointing and clapping this makes up alot of the job of a captain, I think you also do him a diservice questioning his ability he is more of a footballer than you give him credit for !!!

As for who's to blame for our poor defensive display last season .... have a look at both full backs and the players who have come in for them !

:nods:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 02:25:52 PM »
[/q

This isn't about Ledley King or any other team its about Spurs and the fact that Dawson is probably the most consistent defender we have had for quite a while and you can count the amount of bad games he has had on one hand !!!! Plus he will run through walls for his team mates and he's a talker he is always urging players on and pointing and clapping this makes up alot of the job of a captain, I think you also do him a diservice questioning his ability he is more of a footballer than you give him credit for !!!

As for who's to blame for our poor defensive display last season .... have a look at both full backs and the players who have come in for them !

I agree that the weakness in our defence this year was not solely down to Dawson or either CB. I would agree that some blame goes to the LB RB as well. However, they have been pushing forward and helping in attack as they have been asked to do. Although Walker has not been as good this year, his pace has also allowed him to get back in time to make some crucial interceptions. I believe that the fault lies at the centre of midfield. When Walker and BAE are bombing forward, what is the point of having 2 defensive midfielders if they are not able to cover effectively. The biggest weakness of course is the the Tree, (Hudd). When / if Sandro returns, I think our full backs will be better compensated for and there will be less breaking attacks put onto our CBs.

I think that our captain needs to be a player whose name is one of first on the sheet. The problem then arises when Kaboul comes back. Would you have Kaboul / Dawson as your first choice pairing? And leave out JVT? ... I didn't think so. The only way you could keep Dawson as captain is if you put him ahead of Kaboul in the quality stakes, or you put JVT at LB for the whole season.
Maybe next year...

Offline RSS61

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 08:13:42 AM »
[/q

I agree that the weakness in our defence this year was not solely down to Dawson or either CB. I would agree that some blame goes to the LB RB as well. However, they have been pushing forward and helping in attack as they have been asked to do. Although Walker has not been as good this year, his pace has also allowed him to get back in time to make some crucial interceptions. I believe that the fault lies at the centre of midfield. When Walker and BAE are bombing forward, what is the point of having 2 defensive midfielders if they are not able to cover effectively. The biggest weakness of course is the the Tree, (Hudd). When / if Sandro returns, I think our full backs will be better compensated for and there will be less breaking attacks put onto our CBs.

I think that our captain needs to be a player whose name is one of first on the sheet. The problem then arises when Kaboul comes back. Would you have Kaboul / Dawson as your first choice pairing? And leave out JVT? ... I didn't think so. The only way you could keep Dawson as captain is if you put him ahead of Kaboul in the quality stakes, or you put JVT at LB for the whole season.

My point exactly. If Kaboul returns as strong as he was before his injury then he will partner Verthonghen, and Dawson will not be a regular starter. Then get a Left Back somewhere near Ashley Cole's level, and IMO our defensive problems will be solved.

JVT is the natural captain for me going forwards.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 09:32:33 AM »
Do others also share the view that JVT is best serving us in CB position and not at LB?

Providing cover if needs must is fine but for me JVT is better at CB
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RSS61

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 11:55:34 AM »
Do others also share the view that JVT is best serving us in CB position and not at LB?

Providing cover if needs must is fine but for me JVT is better at CB

Most definitely, and I think he expressed that view to AVB also. Just look at how good Ashley Cole still is, we need someone like him. Most teams target us down our left flank, and its been a weakness for us for quite some while, apart from BAE's good spell last season.

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 02:45:35 PM »
Leighton Baines  :hide:

(sorry for turning this into transfer thread)

Offline RSS61

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »
Leighton Baines  :hide:

(sorry for turning this into transfer thread)

Well he didn't last long against Brazil, not a good sign. That said he's probably better than BAE but will maybe follow Moyes ?