SpursNetwork

Team Captain For Next Season

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
  • Season Ticket: No
Team Captain For Next Season
« on: May 25, 2013, 06:34:04 PM »
Looking ahead to next season, a thought crossed my mind as who is best suited to take us forward on the field as team captain.

I will be honest I am stuck on this one, I would shout Dawson but his injuries and personality doesnt scream born leader to me.. Parker is past his best and i feel should move on to finish his career unless he is happy to be a squad player. Sandro and Kaboul will they ever be fit again well I bloody hope so!

For me this leaves, Lloris, JVT or dare I say it Bale.

Reasons : Lloris is mature, steady and calm has that air of condience and reassurance about him, very experienced and one of the best keepers in the world with alot of mileage left on the clock and room to get better.

JVT: Strong commanding presence and an utter work horse leading by example.

Bale: despite his age he is looked up to by many and held in high regard due to ability and personal achievements.  In interviews Bale is very team orientated which is what you need from a captain to motivate and praise others.

After typing this i still cant decide, input is welcomed please!!!

NOTE .... do not turn this thread into a HR/AVB who has done better argument its had the arse kicked right out of it now think we have all made our points over and over!

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline baldbloke

• Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Team Captain For Next Season
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 06:43:26 PM »
JVT without a doubt
AVB OUT, AND TAKE LEVY WITH YOU

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 07:25:20 PM »
Whats your reasoning bud?
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »
Of the ones you mentioned I'd go for Vertonghen as I think on-field players are better in captaining role than goalkeepers. Also, I don't think Parker is past his best and would do well as a stand-in captain. Bale is a obviously the team star, but for some reason I think he's too young. I doubt the armband will be taken from Dawson, though.

Offline baldbloke

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:52:07 PM »
Whats your reasoning bud?

Defenders generally make the best captains. He is also a consistent player, and captained Ajax. The man is made for the job
AVB OUT, AND TAKE LEVY WITH YOU

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 10:43:35 PM »
Definitely not Bale, too young. Lloris would be good but as mentioned keepers are not best placed to captain a team, so my choice goes to Vertonghen. Good head, experienced in his country, great player and above all inspires respect.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 03:50:33 AM »
      I would just like to say Harry would make (Only joking Metal, sorry couldn't help myself) and incidently you are 100% correct.
     I think Dawson has done a good job as Captain this year, but if the club are going to take the captaincy away from him, then I think Vertonghen is the player who should be captain, I am not a big fan of goalkeepers being Skippers, there have of course been exceptions to the rule, Lev Yashin springs to mind, I think Lloris really needs to concentrate on his own game, although he does a good job as Captain of the French National team, Bale we all know is a superstar, but I think by making him captain would put unnecessary pressure on him. Just my opinion.

;) ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:56:51 AM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 12:57:44 PM »
Vertonghen , Easy decision if you ask me. Although I do not think it should be taken from Dawson, if he is going to be playing regularly. But if Kaboul comes back as expected then it has to be Vert'
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 05:29:48 PM »
Looking ahead to next season, a thought crossed my mind as who is best suited to take us forward on the field as team captain.

I will be honest I am stuck on this one, I would shout Dawson but his injuries and personality doesnt scream born leader to me.. Parker is past his best and i feel should move on to finish his career unless he is happy to be a squad player. Sandro and Kaboul will they ever be fit again well I bloody hope so!

For me this leaves, Lloris, JVT or dare I say it Bale.

Reasons : Lloris is mature, steady and calm has that air of condience and reassurance about him, very experienced and one of the best keepers in the world with alot of mileage left on the clock and room to get better.

JVT: Strong commanding presence and an utter work horse leading by example.

Bale: despite his age he is looked up to by many and held in high regard due to ability and personal achievements.  In interviews Bale is very team orientated which is what you need from a captain to motivate and praise others.

After typing this i still cant decide, input is welcomed please!!!

NOTE .... do not turn this thread into a HR/AVB who has done better argument its had the arse kicked right out of it now think we have all made our points over and over!

I'll go along with what you said.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 10:53:44 PM »
Whilst I am not in favour of keepers as captains, as I mentioned above,  it's worth mentioning that Lloris was captain at his last club Lyon!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 03:02:06 AM »
Whilst I am not in favour of keepers as captains, as I mentioned above,  it's worth mentioning that Lloris was captain at his last club Lyon!

Plus France my friend :)

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 04:25:53 PM »
True, and there must be many others!

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 12:47:01 PM »
JVT for me by a mile. He looks to organise the back 4, leads by example, gets forward and scores a goal. Our best defender since King.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »
Why would you want to take it away from Michael Dawson ?
He has played with his heart on his sleeve and always gives 110% effort, plus he hasn't rocked the boat or caused trouble when AVB treated him like a piece of s**t.
For my money he has been the best captain we have had since Gary Mabbutt, just look back over the games he has played and the amount of times it's him that clears the ball or covers for others !!!!

>:(
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
Why would you want to take it away from Michael Dawson ?
He has played with his heart on his sleeve and always gives 110% effort, plus he hasn't rocked the boat or caused trouble when AVB treated him like a piece of s**t.
For my money he has been the best captain we have had since Gary Mabbutt, just look back over the games he has played and the amount of times it's him that clears the ball or covers for others !!!!

>:(

He's steady, reliable and loyal, but imo not good enough for an aspiring top 4 side. As soon as Kaboul is back, he will make way I think.